• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Is it necessary for a trans* person to transition?

i refuse to believe that you have not seen them because they are ALL OVER tumblr. to the point where i automatically assume someone is trans (or thinks they are) if they say they're male. and i'm usually right too.
they're spreading into real life too, i know there's one in my hometown. there's apparently tonnes in the hometown of a guy i know. he knew several girls who became "ftm" literally overnight.

seriously, just go in the ftm or genderqueer tags. it's horrifying. also there's sometimes tits and vaginas in there which is you know so great and really makes people believe they are in fact trans.

I've never checked the ftm because I dislike the term, but last time I checked the trans tag it was mostly people like you so I stopped checking.

Also, wow, how terrible that there are trans guys. :[ Your town must be horrible. Didn't you become "ftm" literally 'overnight'?

Also, wow, how terrible that there are trans guys. :[ Your town must be horrible. Didn't you become "ftm" literally 'overnight'?
if you mean overnight you mean came across something that happened to explain what i thought was poor body image all my life, and people talking about their lives and having similar experiences to me, then spending the next /6 months/ obsessively researching testosterone effects, surgeries, how to actually medically transition and stuff while asking my closest friends to call me by a male name to see how it went and being terrified that i was in fact transsexual and tried to avoid telling people my feelings for a long-ass time and even when i did try it went horribly
so basically finding an answer for shit i've felt all my life

then yes i became ftm overnight.

what about you.
how come there are so many genderqueers on tcod.

if you mean overnight you mean came across something that happened to explain what i thought was poor body image all my life, and people talking about their lives and having similar experiences to me, then spending the next /6 months/ obsessively researching testosterone effects, surgeries, how to actually medically transition and stuff while asking my closest friends to call me by a male name to see how it went and being terrified that i was in fact transsexual and tried to avoid telling people my feelings for a long-ass time and even when i did try it went horribly
so basically finding an answer for shit i've felt all my life

then yes i became ftm overnight.

what about you.

... How do you know those other people aren't going through, or haven't gone through, the same thing?

Also idg the relevancy of gq question ?_? why doesn't anyone ask why there are so many cis people on other forums?

what about you.

are you really trying to imply what I think you're trying to imply?? haven't we been through this shit with everything else, like "why is everyone atheist" "why is everyone gay" "why is everyone liberal"

the majority of us are not genderqueer, but the genderqueer are prominent because this is a relatively safe space for us to speak without fear of being mocked

please don't be silly

Last edited:
... How do you know those other people aren't going through, or haven't gone through, the same thing?

Also idg the relevancy of gq question ?_? why doesn't anyone ask why there are so many cis people on other forums?
because it's very obvious that they haven't. why does nobody here believe that there are actually people like this.

BECAUSE CIS PEOPLE ARE 99%+ OF THE POPULATION
this is a pokemon forum, not a queer/trans forum
suddenly there seemed to be tonnes of non-cis people here one day. it just strikes me as odd.

are you really trying to imply what I think you're trying to imply?? haven't we been through this shit with everything else, like "why is everyone atheist" "why is everyone gay" "why is everyone liberal"

the majority of us are not genderqueer, but the genderqueer are prominent because this is a relatively safe space for us to speak without fear of being mocked

please don't be silly
being trans is a very rare occurrence. much rarer than being any of those other things.

and sure most people here may not be genderqueer but there are certainly enough to make people notice and think "what"

and that post that ... posted
yeah pretty much why i hate the idea of a trans umbrella
transsexual people and whatever else is is not the same at all. also the fact that it supposedly includes feminine men and masculine women really infuriates me. wow you're not a stereotypical straight cis person U MUST B TRANS

I found this post on tumblr and I think it may be reflective of some of the issues here, between the people who think that trans* is a very integral part of their identity and people who see being trans as a medical condition. I was curious in seeing what you guys thought of it.

That is interesting. I don't think every non-binary (or even most) is actually choosing to defy the binary, however. It is just as much a choice as it is for binary trans people; meaning, it isn't.

because it's very obvious that they haven't. why does nobody here believe that there are actually people like this.

It doesn't matter if those people exist. You can't know what's going on in someone else's head and you shouldn't assume you do. And you shouldn't act like because a certain percent of people may be doing this (which for god's sake, idg why you care), you get to yell at everyone else about it.

BECAUSE CIS PEOPLE ARE 99%+ OF THE POPULATION
this is a pokemon forum, not a queer/trans forum
suddenly there seemed to be tonnes of non-cis people here one day. it just strikes me as odd.

being trans is a very rare occurrence. much rarer than being any of those other things.

and sure most people here may not be genderqueer but there are certainly enough to make people notice and think "what"

I hope you realize the internet, and certainly this pokemon forum, does not represent the human population. This is a liberal forum and it's meant to be a safe space. People will come out.

I don't get why you think you are exempt from this "what".

and that post that ... posted
transsexual people and whatever else is is not the same at all. also the fact that it supposedly includes feminine men and masculine women really infuriates me. wow you're not a stereotypical straight cis person U MUST B TRANS

If you really think feminine men and masculine women are trans* you really, really don't understand what trans* is.

ETA: Oh and this just popped up on my dash.

Last edited:

Trivia of the day: 36% of the TCoDf moderation team isn't cis.

Source? In my state, only 5% are non-religious (much less the more specific atheist) and churches like to claim < 1% of the population is gay (forget anything else) which sounds awfully like your 99%+. There are closet cases and people who aren't even aware of the gender spectrum -- until I knew trans* was even a thing, I thought I was doomed to be a guy for the rest of my life.

Then bye! If you want to think transsexuals are THE ONLY TRUE TRANS!, by all means: go ahead. Just leave everyone else here alone.

Trivia of the day: 36% of the TCoDf moderation team isn't cis.

Is this including the two who haven't been on in over two years, because that's a bit misleading if that's the case.

EDIT: I pointed this out because I thought, at the time, it'd be good to clarify. In retrospect, it was pretty trivial and I'm sorry for butting into the debate.

Last edited:
Is this including the two who haven't been on in over two years, because that's a bit misleading if that's the case.
Fine, then. Ignoring them... it's up to 42%. Any other questions?

EDIT: Zhorken's informed me that Eevee is agender, making the old statistic 40%

Last edited:
EDIT: Zhorken's informed me that Eevee is agender, making the old statistic 40%

Just to clarify, I dunno for sure how true that is; once in a while he says something like "I don't really identify as anything" and he never mentions it except to be smarmy when someone calls him "she" and someone else gets confused. Going by "you are if you say you are" though I'd definitely count him.

(EDIT: I'm not saying I disagree with that method, I just don't want my name put in for either side)

Last edited:
I'm just here to reply to a fallacious claim, which is:

what about you.

Genderqueers still constitute a minority on this forum. However, (and this is my own theory - I may be wrong here) the difference between this forum and others is not the number of non-cis members, but who the non-cis members are. It just so happens that many of the non-cis members of TCoD happen to be "big-name" and/or influential members, and some are even mods. For all you know, there could be another forum out there which is about this size and with about the same number of non-cis members, but if all the non-cis members on the (hypothetical) forum are all lurkers/people who rarely post/one-time visitors/people who haven't logged in for ages, it won't seem like that forum has a high non-cis population.

What is the Swedish neutral pronoun? I know han/hon/de but this neutral one eludes me (my textbook is from the 60s or 70s though so that doesn't help the matter).

It's hen. (Also, I think you mean han/hon/den/det).

No, I meant de as a 3rd person plural pronoun (which I know for a fact exists). But yes, they are pronouns, just a different type of pronoun. Should have made clear what I was referring to.

Tack för det.

It's shifted to dom then? My source of Swedish linguistic material is Facebook you know
Dom is only used in very informal settings (mostly by people who have a hard time telling the difference between object and subject, i.e. apparently everyone). Decades ago there was this huge debate over whether or not we should officially switch to dom, but the Language Council thinks it would be a terribly bad idea because 1) in some dialects de and dem actually are pronounced differently (and don't sound like dom), and 2) it would make it way harder for future generations to read older texts, since de and dem are about as common as words get; you can't feasibly replace all instances of de and dem with dom unless you want to rewrite all literature ever, so. Besides, I'm sure there are situations where having different pronouns for subject and object actually comes in handy. Dom is in the dictionary nowadays though, so it's earned some recognition at least.

Facebook is informal enough that you'd see dom everywhere, though. In any case, I think we're derailing this thread.

It's ok, it's mostly that the times I am going to use this in Swedish, I best be correct. I checked and my textbook is from the 70s because it does mention the moonlanding.

Anyhow, thanks for the info, now we know how to handle it in Swedish (that's one language that has it right then).

You can carry on with the trans discussion, I have nothing to add.

If you really think feminine men and masculine women are trans* you really, really don't understand what trans* is.

Yes, which is why people need to stop blogging graphics like this without stopping to think of the implications. (I mean, what are "Eunuchs" doing there and does anyone even use that term anymore...?)

Incidentally, I had the misfortune to find this image being discussed on a radical feminist blog

Hiikaru said:
It's gross and wrong that cis is the default and that being trans* is considered a gross freakish disease! I'm not a disease, I'm a person! A real person who exists! If you experience it as being a disease to be cured, fine! I don't have to, too! Dysphoria is a thing that's wrong with me that I wish wasn't wrong with me, but I'm still not diseased or a freak!!
I decided against responding to your full post because I didn't want to cause further upset, but I want to respond to this part to clarify my view of transsexualism as a medical condition.

I do not consider it a "gross, freakish disease". (I wouldn't think that about any disease though, because it's a shitty thing to do) Although I don't understand why you think having a disease would supposedly erase your personhood. I consider it a medical condition rather than an identity because to me, it is a purely physical problem I have. My mind does not match up with my body. Forcibly trying to get someone who feels such disconnect with their body has shown to do more harm than good, but shit I tried. I really tried so hard to convince myself that I was just a butch lesbian and that I could live happily like that, because Christ, who would want to put themselves through all the trauma that comes with being a transsexual. It certainly didn't work out for me and I ended up spending 9 months in a psych ward after I tried to mutilate and kill myself.

Someone mentioned in this thread (I think it was Chal, but I'm too tired to check) that they "don't wish they were cis, but they wish being trans wasn't so difficult". And I guess that's where we both disagree, because even if being trans was widely accepted and nobody bothered you about it, I would still rather be cis. I hate every single possible thing about being a trans person so fucking much. Even if society accepted me, I would still have to get painful surgeries to actually feel like my body belonged to me. I do appreciate the advancements in trans surgeries and I'm glad they're there, but I'd certainly rather have been born with the right body instead of having to go through all that. If they weren't there, I probably would have killed myself already.

So again, I do not consider it a "freakish disease", but I do consider it an extremely horrible condition that has caused me intense grief and pain. I do not want to consider it apart of my identity because I want to be seen as a man, not a trans man. I would only consider the trans part relevant when I'm discussing my medical history with a doctor or if I was in a relationship. "A man with transsexual history", yeah, that sounds ok.

I don't care if someone wants to refer to it as a identity, that's their own business, but I hope this clears things up regarding my own thoughts on the medical condition aspect.

I realize this probably turned into more of a rant and a vent, sorry.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say, posting in this thread has really burnt me out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom