• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

It vs. The Boss Lady (Kusari vs. Negrek) [resumed]

What would you do if I were to, say, use a direct healer right now?

(The only reason I think that they weren't banned was because when I saw gallade I was all "arrgh wish and recover," but I could be deluding myself into remembering that.)

Edit: Also, I doubt I would have used rest despite huge status condition weirdness simply because of how much energy was a problem in that round. But eh.

As I edited into the previous post before I noticed you'd posted, you commanded Dream Eater at one point, presumably under the assumption that Hokage would use Rest. I'm still not sure--it might have been you slipping up--but I guess that means they weren't banned. Argh, I don't know.

So I'm not sure what I would do. Probably hope that Acheron's paralysis check fails on that action so I don't have to figure it out either way. D:

Perhaps we should ask Kusari for its unbiased opinion, as it made the rules in the first place.

Totally unbiased, of course. But yeah, that's what I was planning on doing.

So at this point I've definitely learned my lesson about keeping a record of the battle specs somewhere.

I really don't believe you, but fine.

Acheron, shadow ball as much as you can. If you're too paralyzed to turn and fire at your opponent, instead calm mind to reduce the damage from his attacks and boost your own power; hopefully paralysis won't break your concetration too much. If you really can't manage calm mind, instead chill, I suppose.

If you get off two shadow balls all right, calm mind third action regardless.

Shadow Ball / Calm Mind / Chill x3

Kusarigamaitachi vs. Negrek, Round Fourteen

Pre-Round Stats:

Team Kusari (1/2 Pokémon Remaining)

Gallade
Earl (M) [Steadfast]
PASBU: Gravity
Health: 47%
Energy: 57%
Status: Special Defense -1; sore and irritated in a bad place to be sore and irritated
Earl’s Commands:
Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / Chill x 3

Team Negrek (1/2 Pokémon Remaining)

Sableye
Acheron (M) [Stall]
Defense Move: Magic Coat
Health: 41%
Energy: 66%
Status: Paralyzed (moderate); things are looking...almost kind of up! almost!
Acheron’s Commands:
Shadow Ball / Calm Mind / Chill x 3

Arena: Ancient Relic

A large, ancient stone chamber with an unknown purpose. There are runes on the walls and floor, ancient characters resembling the Unown. The floor is made of stone, and is a large square area. The walls surrounding it are thick and the top of the wall can be accessed by a ramp on either side of the battlefield if a pokémon wishes to do so.

There are cracks in the walls and floor, and vines creeping up the walls. Two small pools of water beside the ramps can be used as a source of water, but pokémon who desire to stay within will find themselves confined in a small space. The sun shines down solemnly, lighting up the battlefield.

The relic has been beautifully preserved, and should be treated with respect so it will remain for future generations to admire, or so the locals believe. There are rumours that the relic is protected by a mystical power, preserved in the runes on the wall... so it is suggested that the battlers try to direct attacks at each other instead of at the ancient structure. Otherwise they might very well find themselves targeted by a righteously enraged unown striking them with their Hidden Power. Their attacks have a base power of 30 and their attacks might be of any element. The unown, hoping that its victim has learned their lesson after this reprimand, will return to the wall after a single attack. They will never strike their brethren, however, and any trainer-owned unown on the battlefield will be safe from this attack.

Round Fourteen: Begin!

Earl pushes his gentleman's discomfort out of his thoughts for the moment. He's got the creepy little low-life on the ropes now, and the sooner he can be done with this whole affair, the better. He steps back around Acheron so that he is situated at the Sableye's back once again, and Acheron groans when he hears the familiar menacing crackle of electricity building up in Earl's hands. The thunderbolt, like all others before it, hits its mark, and leaves Acheron twitching on the ground in its wake. Not one to give in so easily, the ghost gags, coughs and, fighting with his arms so that they'll actually push him up without buckling, gets slowly to his feet. Acheron turns again, his steps slow and dragging but resolute, until he is facing Earl. Tired and stiff, he doesn't have the energy to aim the blossoming ball of shadows in a particularly malicious location; the shadow ball strikes Earl in the shin instead, and while the Gallade does wince and take a step back it isn't as unpleasant as it could've been.

[Earl: -15H, -4E, sp. defense -1, ready to end this] - [Acheron: -10H, -3E, paralyzed, annoyed and stiff]

The next thunderbolt, while not necessarily any more powerful than the previous ones, seems to hit a vulnerable spot that causes a series of particularly bad spasms. Acheron, on the floor yet again, is absolutely unable to move voluntarily. Earl, back behind the motionless Acheron, stares up at the sky as if seeking patience. He's still achy, yes, but on the whole this is becoming incredibly tiresome and boring. Acheron stares at the dirt directly in front of his face and sighs. It feels as though even his brain is buzzing and twitching. It's much easier for him to relax and not think about anything at all...

[Earl: -0H, -4E, sp. defense -1, oh, just faint already] - [Acheron: -10H, +10E, paralyzed, well crap]

Boring as the repetitive commands and repetitive seizures have become, Earl resigns himself to the fact that his tactics thus far have been effective. The bright white energy shoots back and forth between his palms for the umpteenth time before he sends it Acheron's way. The usual compliment of twitches and thrashes follows, and Earl gazes off into space again, certain that his opponent will be unable to act once again. He's surely on his last legs by now, after all. This is true--Acheron is beyond feeling pain at this point. He can't feel his limbs locking up repeatedly as he tries to lift himself from the cracked earth and turn around, only aware of the fact that it's taking much longer than it normally should. What he can feel, on the other hand, is a hint of satisfaction as he finally makes it to his feet, faces Earl, and flings another glob of searing shadows at his knee, causing the Gallade to gasp and stumble. Acheron is down, way down, but he isn't out yet.

[Earl: -15H, -4E, sp. defense -1, seriously, why isn't this over yet?] - [Acheron: -10H, -4E, paralyzed, you won't get rid of me that easily]

Round Fourteen: Close

Post-Round Stats

Gallade
Earl (M) [Steadfast]
Health: 17%
Energy: 45%
Status: Special Defense -1; tiring and bored out of his mind

Sableye
Acheron (M) [Stall]
Health: 11%
Energy: 69%
Status: Paralyzed (severe); things are looking...almost kind of up! almost!

Arena Status: The left set of stairs has been reduced to rubble, and large chunks of stone litter the ground near the decimated walls. They are still standing, but are probably no longer safe to stand on at this point. The ground is riddled with thin fissures and a large, roughly Charizard-sized section is caved in where Hokage landed both times.

Ref's Notes
-I took off a little damage for the less-than-desirably aimed Shadow Balls.
-The second Thunderbolt worsened Acheron's paralysis and left him fully paralyzed and unable to use an attack on that action. He chilled instead.
-ARGH I am sick of Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball D: STOP SPAMMING THEM you guys are supposed to be more devious and interesting than this D: Ugh I feel like all this thunderboltspam is sucking what little descriptive ability I have out of my brain.
-Negrek attacks first next round.

Last edited:
Zuhhh, 5% damage is "a little bit?" That's nearly a third of the overall damage potential for shadow ball, and I was operating under the assumption that shadow ball damage was going to remain relatively consistent barring a critical hit. Since you didn't drop the damage in the last round due to movement, I didn't think you would this time. That leaves Earl outside of shadow ball KO range, and that has kind of screwed me over a little bit.

*cough* actually that's 6% off which wasn't what I'd intended. It was supposed to be 3% or so off, but apparently I was subtracting from the wrong number. Sorry, I'll fix it.

And it wasn't so much movement as it was where the attack was aimed. Surely you agree a hit to the shin isn't going to carry quite the impact of a hit to the groin, head or abdomen? Even if we're talking about a special attack... it's a shin.

...although given how much the RNG seems to loathe Acheron, I'm not sure how much it will help in the end.

Last edited:
The RNG has seemed to hate me all my life. D: I guess being an oppressive probability-dictator has its downsides.

Whatever happens, I feel the next round is going to be made of epic roll.

Aww, shit. I thought I ordered second this round.

Shadow sneak to grab him and then point-blank shadow ball him into the ground. If he protects/detects, chill; he shouldn't be able to counter it with his own shadow sneak because of stall, so if he does so obviously just 'sneak away as soon as he pops up and maneuver to fire shadow ball after dodging his attack. If you really feel too paralyzed to move, at least try to get a protect in there for me.

Paralysis is probably going to fuck this up as it has gleefully been doing for the past three rounds, but give it your all, Acheron!

Shadow Sneak + Shadow Ball / Protect / Chill ~ Shadow Sneak + Shadow Ball / Protect / Chill ~ Shadow Ball / Protect / Chill

:] I knew you'd manage to screw up what must be the only real strategy I've ever attempted to set-up beforehand. Which should have been used earlier, but whatever.

Well, I'm not entirely sure Shadow Sneak and Shadow Ball can be combo'd but I suppose if Negrek did it then we can assume that it is possible. D: And it seems that Acheron will be able to escape if you counter with the same thing, so... let's see.

Hmm... Protect should appear before you can attack, if he uses it, since that's not in response to whatever you do; in that case, just Calm Mind.

Otherwise, we'll... ah. I think we will mimic Negrek's strategy, after all. I think you should be able to at least hit Acheron with Shadow Sneak, so...

Shadow Sneak to attack, and then Acheron will probably end up Shadow Sneaking away right then and there - but that's away, meaning that it won't be hurting you. Then, when he pops up again, you'll fire a Shadow Ball at him before he can do the same to you. Or, if you can use both Shadow Sneak and Shadow Ball even before he runs away, do it.

However, if for some reason you can't do that, but he can - probably something involving how he's a ghost-type - you'll be still conscious barring a critical hit, I think, and you'll have another action left that should go before Acheron's. In that case, we'll use the more powerful Thunderbolt to bring him down.

Although if Shadow Sneak and Shadow Ball can't be combo'd by either of you, he'll have Shadow Sneak'd away from you but not attacked after that, or something. In that case, Thunderbolt to bring him down, unless he Protects of course.

If it's the last action and he's still conscious but not using Protect, you'll be unable to pull the combo; in that case, just Thunderbolt. You'll probably have used Calm Mind at least once, in that case, so it should bring him down in one shot.

Shadow Sneak / (Shadow Sneak + Shadow Ball) / Calm Mind ~ Shadow Sneak / (Shadow Sneak + Shadow Ball) / Thunderbolt / Calm Mind ~ Thunderbolt / Calm Mind

I hope that wasn't too confusing. D: And I don't think I forgot anything... hrm. Probably did. Well... good luck.

Kusarigamaitachi vs. Negrek, Round Fifteen

Pre-Round Stats:

Gallade
Earl (M) [Steadfast]
Energy: 45%
Status: Special Defense -1; tiring and bored out of his mind
Earl’s Commands:
Shadow Sneak/(Shadow Sneak + Shadow Ball)/Calm Mind ~ Shadow Sneak/(Shadow Sneak + Shadow Ball)/Thunderbolt/Calm Mind ~ Thunderbolt/Calm Mind

Sableye
Acheron (M) [Stall]
Health: 11%
Energy: 69%
Acheron’s Commands:
Shadow Sneak + Shadow Ball/Protect/Chill ~ Shadow Sneak + Shadow Ball/Protect/Chill ~ Shadow Ball/Protect/Chill

Arena: Ancient Relic

A large, ancient stone chamber with an unknown purpose. There are runes on the walls and floor, ancient characters resembling the Unown. The floor is made of stone, and is a large square area. The walls surrounding it are thick and the top of the wall can be accessed by a ramp on either side of the battlefield if a pokémon wishes to do so.

There are cracks in the walls and floor, and vines creeping up the walls. Two small pools of water beside the ramps can be used as a source of water, but pokémon who desire to stay within will find themselves confined in a small space. The sun shines down solemnly, lighting up the battlefield.

The relic has been beautifully preserved, and should be treated with respect so it will remain for future generations to admire, or so the locals believe. There are rumours that the relic is protected by a mystical power, preserved in the runes on the wall... so it is suggested that the battlers try to direct attacks at each other instead of at the ancient structure. Otherwise they might very well find themselves targeted by a righteously enraged unown striking them with their Hidden Power. Their attacks have a base power of 30 and their attacks might be of any element. The unown, hoping that its victim has learned their lesson after this reprimand, will return to the wall after a single attack. They will never strike their brethren, however, and any trainer-owned unown on the battlefield will be safe from this attack.

Round Fifteen: Begin!

Desperate to turn the tide and finish Earl off while he has the chance, Acheron struggles with his body in an attempt to pull off a preemptive attack. He hisses, gurgles and jerks, trying his hardest to force his body to cooperate, but the Sableye's limbs simply refuse to move the way they are told (when they decide to move at all) and Acheron ends up on the damaged ground again. He wails and changes tack, instead focusing on putting up a shield to stop Earl's impending attack. Even this is too much for him to manage, however; the constant twitching and shuddering makes it impossible for him to focus what energy he has left into the barrier he needs. Shaking his head and smiling, Earl disappears into his shadow and darts forward. There is very little distance for him to cover and it is only a matter of a few seconds before he reappears, rises up from the ground and takes a swing at the prone ghost. Before Acheron has a chance to recover his own shadow is yanked out from beneath him, and he groans as it joins the other shadows scattered around the arena in the sphere now growing between Earl's hands. Earl sends the shadow ball his opponent's way with a quick flick of his wrists, and the quivering blob of blackness strikes Acheron's back. The shadowy energy stings Acheron's ethereal skin horribly, and the pain of the two attacks in quick succession overcomes him at last. He gives one final shudder and goes limp, the light behind his gem eyes dimming as he loses consciousness.

[Earl: -0H, -9E, sp. defense -1, it's about bloody time!] - [Acheron: -14H (capped at 11), -1E, paralyzed, knocked out]

Round Fifteen: Close

The last of the gathered shadows slip their way back to their original positions as Earl's shadow ball finishes dissipating, leaving a motionless Acheron and a battered but pleased Earl in their wake. The Gallade's noble and gentlemanly strategy won out over Acheron's sleazy thievery and underhanded tactics at last, and though he is just a little ashamed that he allowed such an unsavory character to rough him up so much he is proud of his victory all the same. Negrek sighs wearily, cursing her terrible luck but satisfied that Acheron was able to do his best despite his delinquent muscles. The two Pokémon vanish into their Pokéballs, their trainers shake hands and then hurry out of the ruins. They've held up well enough after Hokage's earthquake abuse, but no one is willing to take the risk that they could tumble and unleash a barrage of angry Unown.

Post-Round Stats

Gallade
Earl (M) [Steadfast]
Energy: 36%
Status: Special Defense -1; now really, why did this have to be so drawn out? Incredibly tiresome little cad, aren't you?

Team Negrek (0/2 Pokémon Remaining)

Sableye
Acheron (M) [Stall]
Health: 0%
Energy: 68%

Arena Status: The left set of stairs has been reduced to rubble, and large chunks of stone litter the ground near the decimated walls. They are still standing, but are probably no longer safe to stand on at this point. The ground is riddled with thin fissures and a large, roughly Charizard-sized section is caved in where Hokage landed both times.

Ref's Notes
-Well, Negrek, like Kusari I'm not sure that Shadow Sneak and Shadow Ball can be truly combined, but you're in charge and you ordered it so I guess I was just supposed to figure out some way to have it make sense... it looks to me as though you were just trying to fire off two attacks in quick succession, so that's what I assumed you (both) meant by "combo". If that wasn't what you were talking about or if there's some reason Earl shouldn't have been able to do that, tell me.​
-Yeah... Acheron failed his paralysis checks, both for Shadow Sneak etc. and Protect. I was hoping it would get a chance to get more interesting and epic than "paralysisfail okay game over", but it was not to be. At least it was easier to get my head around. :/
-AND WITH THAT the match is finally over. Kusarigamaitachi gets $16, Hokage gets 1 exp. and Earl gets 2 exp. Negrek gets $6, Psychopomp gets 2 exp. and Acheron gets 1 exp. And, uh, you can now reclaim all of your Pokémon, although presumably Psycho will have to come back as a Dusclops and not a Dusknoir. I get $10 for reffing. A close game well-fought, you two.

Did you even have to hit the limit at all since it was imposed? o_0

Just let me know, then.

Back
Top Bottom