• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ITT I describe all the countries I've been to in one sentence.

Cool, if you visited Nicollet Island, the island on the Mississippi near downtown Minneapolis, you were right by my high school. (I went to school on that island)

You know, uv, you're pretty lucky to live in Australia. People see your location, they think "kangaroo jockey spouting funny colloquialisms". People see my location, they think "asshole who likes hot dogs".

Wait this thread confuses me and I'm sure this is irrelevant and all but you said you were going to describe all the countries you've been to in one sentence and you didn't do that at all what happened between writing the topic name and writing the actual post because

I will do so though
all the countries I have visited, described in a sentence
"it is the usa"

Last edited:
When my mother first came to Belgium, she had people ask her if they had roads in Portugal.

She just told them we send all our correspondence by carrier pigeon.

You know, uv, you're pretty lucky to live in Australia. People see your location, they think "kangaroo jockey spouting funny colloquialisms". People see my location, they think "asshole who likes hot dogs".
people also think we're morons who don't get basic technology like mobile phones!

I mean, it's nice being able to say I've been attacked by a crocodile and have people believe me, but it's still mildly insulting that people are amazed I have the internet at all.

Also I'm pretty sure Australia's been contesting the title 'most obese country' with America for some time now, so the hotdog thing will apply here soon!

Do Americans seriously, honest-to-God get people on the Internet telling them "YOU'RE FROM AMERICA YOU SUCK"? o_O Most people on the Internet are Americans, in my experience.

Anyway, everyone should come to Iceland. Fact. (And talk to me first so we can meet.)

I don't get this anti-US hate. I've been twice to your country and it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen! The people are nice as well, in many cases nicer than in the UK - in my experience, people are a lot kinder towards tourists in the US than in Britain.

I think many people who make those kind of judgements have:
a) never actually visited the country
b) based all their information off the few mad buggers than end up on international news - yes, it's fun to laugh at the Westboro Baptist Church but they're no more representative of the Americans as the EDL are of the British

Anyway, everyone should come to Iceland. Fact. (And talk to me first so we can meet.)
I was in your country for about three hours last month, when we stopped over on the way from Seattle. The airport is freaky, it's in the middle of nowhere right next to the sea. Also, it was bloody cold even in the middle of summer.

why do you hurt me like this
Look on the positive side, at least no-one's called you English!

Eh, in my experience, America's cool. In theory at least. I mean, like, it's a beautiful place, it's literally the land of opportunity, etc etc.
It's the Americans that suck.
I should clarify - All the Americans I've met have been cool, nice, chill, etc. But America has the same problem that practically every country has. When it stops becoming 'An American Person' and becomes 'The American People', shit goes down.
It's the same as Britain and practically every other country too - a person is usually good. People are shitty.
It's just that, what with America having so many people that just so happen to be very vocal and very outspoken, the shittiness is easier to see.

Here in Britain, you'll have a person saying something like 'Oh, well I know one of those rioters and he was a really nice guy, his mum died saving his life and he was a volunteer blah blah blah' but put that person with a bunch of other people, and you have torches and pitchforks practically begging for martial law. It's the same with that Snowdon thing from yesterday - if you tell almost anyone that a guy drove to the top of Mount Snowdon on a drunken bet and survived, I guarantee they'd buy the bloke a pint. Put 'em in a room with a bunch of other blokes, and they'll all be baying for his blood.

Keflavik Airport is, as stated previously, literally in the middle of nowhere. They dropped it on an old lava field, built a road to Reykjavik, and left. You couldn't get a more isolated airport if you tried.

Iceland is great.

As for the UK, I don't remember too much of my visits except the most recent one, but as far as I know - I prefer the English to the Americans, just because I prefer English restraint.

I've personally only been to America. My family is interesting though.

My stepfather used to live in Germany, where apparently you have to pay money to use the public restrooms, the beer is plentiful, and he ditched a taxi cab once.

My mom's side of the family used to live in South Korea because my grandmother teaches English, and the people there have a whole language with their car horns and love seafood, according to my mom.

My grandparents now live in Saudi Arabia, and apparently the plentiful camels give really thick milk, also my grandma scares any Muslim that tries to push their religion or their beliefs on her, and hates the weather, which is surprisingly hot and dry.

Tell us some cool Iceland tourist spots so I can convince my parents to vacation there some day! Information from a native is always better than the ones from some random traveling site.

As for the UK, I don't remember too much of my visits except the most recent one, but as far as I know - I prefer the English to the Americans, just because I prefer English restraint.
Oh god, the Stiff Upper Lip is so overrated. In the US, if a company is offering you crap service you and everyone around you will kick up a massive fuss and ensure that it get fixed. In the UK, everyone just grumbles quietly and accepts whatever bull is thrown at them.

Of course, sometimes people can take it too far (this site lists some particularly ridiculous examples), but you need to stand up for yourselves every so often.

Back
Top Bottom