• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

jaketiger1116 vs Timeline4All (ref: Negrek)

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
1vs1
Um, not sure if I need to specify set since it's 1 on 1...
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, direct recovery moves.
Field: Simple, just a small clearing in the middle of the forest, with a little pond in the right side of the clearing.

jaketiger1116's Active Squad

Cynder the Male Cyndaquil
Ability: Blaze

Soarwing the Male Pidgey
Ability: Keen Eye

Sandom the Male Trapinch
Ability: Hyper Cutter

Mariana the Female Psyduck
Ability: Cloud Nine

Surge the Male Shinx
Ability: Intimidate

Timeline4All's Active Squad

Flame the Male Cyndaquil
Ability: Blaze

Star the Unknown Staryu
Ability: Illuminate
Item: Water Stone

Sparky the Female Shinx
Ability: Intimidate

Ninja the Male Nincada
Ability: Compoundeyes

Who the Female Hoothoot
Ability: Keen Eye

Let's get started!

1. jaketiger1116 sends out a pokémon
2. Timeline4All chooses a pokémon and posts attacks
3. jaketiger1116 posts attacks

Alriight, go Star. Star, use Water Gun. Then Rapid Spin and end with another Water Gun.
Water Gun~Rapid Spin~Water Gun

Oh, wow. This'll be tough, Sandom. Good thing you know some moves that can help us out. Alright, so let's start off with Sunny Day. Hopefully you can get that in before you're hit with water gun. And then use Solar Beam, which hopefully won't have to charge because of Sunny Day. Then use Giga Drain on Star's health.

Sunny Day~Solar Beam~Giga Drain (Health)

Last edited:
If she doesn`t post by Sept. 18, we`ll figure something out because refs have their own lives like we do. I checked the Absense Sheet and found nothing. Hope she wasn`t eaten by a Snorlax...?

Last edited:
For your info everybody Negrek is quite busy with the ASB Awards and the tournament going on (she does most of the reffings so it's quite the job). She is still very active and will surely do your reffing within the next few days, don't worry ;)

There's no arena more traditional than the generic forest clearing, a backdrop that has played host to battlers new and old for years. Fortunately, Asber has plenty of them, as they are regularly destroyed over the course of a fight.

Today just such a nondescript field will be playing host to the first battle between two new trainers, jaketiger1116 and Timeline4All. They stand on opposite sides of the clearing, fidgeting with nerves as they wait for the match to begin. When the call to release their pokémon finally goes out, jaketiger1116 doesn't hesitate to release Sandom the trapinch. Timeline4All counters with Star the staryu, which balances precariously on two of its points as it stands across from Sandom.

The trapinch gnashes his outsize teeth in irritation. Just what he needs for his first fight--a water-type opponent! If Star is thinking anything about its opposite number, it gives no sign; its core glints in the sun, but the staryu itself appears lifeless as it waits at attention.

Round One

jaketiger1116 (O)
trapinch
Sandom (M) <Hyper Cutter>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Sunny Day ~ Solar Beam ~ Giga Drain (Health)
- A little nervous.

Timeline4All (O)
staryu
Star (X) <Illuminate> @ Water Stone
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Water Gun~Rapid Spin~Water Gun
- Exanimate.

Lifeless it may look, but Star nevertheless gets the drop on its opponent. Tipping its top limb forward, the staryu blasts a water gun straight into Sandom's face. The trapinch splutters and shakes his head, spraying water droplets in all directions. The water gun was relatively weak, but still enough to bother the ground-type trapinch.

Water changes to steam as Sandom's carapace heats up. The trapinch draws strength from memories of his desert home, where the sun cooks every trace of moisture out of the air. Fire energy gathers between the trapinch's jaws, and he tips his head back, spitting a fireball towards the sky. It travels ever higher, soon vanishing from sight. Shortly thereafter, the sunlight grows noticeably stronger, raising the temperature in the arena perceptibly. Sandom openly enjoys the change, and if it bothers Star, the staryu hides it well.

The staryu is all business as it rises into the air, tipping to a horizontal position as it goes. Sandom watches, openly curious, but is unprepared when the staryu snaps forward, spinning quickly and buffeteing Sandom with its outstretched limbs.

The attack might be surprising, but Sandom isn't badly hurt. While Star spins back to its original position, he plants his stubby legs firmly and allows the power of the intensified sunlight to flow through his body. The trapinch lets his jaw go slack, revealing a growing ball of golden light at the back of his throat. The solar beam swells ever larger until Sandom can contain it no longer and it pours between his teeth as a beam of concentrated light.

As the afterimages fade from Sandom's eyes, though, he is infuriated to find Star still standing, looking as healthy as ever. A long band of scorched grass marks where the solarbeam passed--right next to Star, but not close enough to actually bother it.

Star underscores Sandom's failure by hosing the trapinch down with another water gun. The sunlight removes some of its damp unpleasantness, but Sandom feels the insult acutely. The trapinch stamps his feet and snaps his jaws in fury. Green light pools beneath him as he reaches out to the life energy flowing all around him. A matching puddle appears below Star as the trapinch locks onto his target and begins sucking its vitality away. Star gives no sign of discomfort, but Sandom is a bit mollified as his opponent's energy refreshes him.

jaketiger1116 (O)
trapinch
Health: 89%
Energy: 85%
Used: Sunny Day ~ Solarbeam ~ Giga Drain
- Embarrassed.

Timeline4All (O)
staryu
Health: 91%
Energy: 97%
Used: Water Gun ~ Rapid Spin ~ Water Gun
- Doing fine.

Final Notes
- Sandom's solarbeam missed.
- jaketiger1116 attacks first next round.

(Yeeeah sorry about my impatience Negrek, I'm just a newbie. I think I can make sure to display a lot more patience in the future. Thanks for dealing with me though! And reffing this in the first place.)
It's ok Sandom, everybody misses sometimes. I want you to use Toxic until it hits. Once it hits, try another Solar Beam. And if you managed to hit with Toxic the first time, then I want you to use Earth Power.

Toxic~Solar Beam/Toxic~Earth Power/Toxic

I'm sorry too, Negrek.
Star, you are doing great. First, let's use Safeguard. Then I want you to Rain Dance and then hit Sandom with a Bubblebeam.
Safeguard~Rain Dance~Bubblebeam

For your info everybody Negrek is quite busy with the ASB Awards and the tournament going on (she does most of the reffings so it's quite the job). She is still very active and will surely do your reffing within the next few days, don't worry ;)

Thanks

Round Two

jaketiger1116 (O)
trapinch
Health: 89%
Energy: 85%
Commands: Toxic~Solar Beam/Toxic~Earth Power/Toxic
- Embarrassed.

Timeline4All (O)
staryu
Health: 91%
Energy: 97%
Commands: Safeguard~Rain Dance~Bubblebeam
- Doing fine.

Star's core blinks as Sandom begins preparing his next attack. The staryu's mind races; it would certainly like to protect itself from Sandom's upcoming toxic attack, but somehow, it just can't think how. The trapinch is letting out unsetting gurgling noises, no doubt gathering toxins with which to drench his opponent; Star doesn't have much time. Try as it might, though, the staryu just can't seem to figure out how to use safeguard. In the end, the staryu fails to do anything at all, and the poisonous slime Sandom barfs all over it can burn through its tough skin unhindered.

Motivated as much by the horrible stinging as anything else, Star is inspired to get over its failure immediately and start in on its next attack. It rises from the ground once again, spinning gently, and begins executing a series of graceful loops, bouncing through what looks like a random series of swoops and flips as it gets up to speed. Sandom, who is drawing in more light, recognizes the strange dance, however, and desperately tries to get his attack together before the rain arrives. Unfortunately, clouds are already starting to roll in overhead, blocking out the intensified sun, and in no time at all, a steady spattering of rain is pelting the arena. Sandom has to struggle to force enough energy into his solarbeam to bring it up to critical mass, and even once he manages that, the beam that blasts across the arena is significantly punier than the last one he mustered. At least this one hits, though, and Star is sent spinning end-over-end before it can get a grip on itself and lower itself gently back to earth.

The rain is working up to a real soaking downpour, but the viscous toxins covering Star's body are hanging in there, resisting all the weather's attempts to wash them off. The staryu's core glows dully with simmering anger, and it tips its current topmost arm in Sandom's direction, blowing out a concentrated burst of frothing bubbles. The trapinch shivers as the watery projectiles burst against his shell; the rain is making him miserable enough as it is, and the concussive force of the bubblebeam is decidedly unwelcome. He can't stand around feeling miserable for himself all battle, though. Sandom lowers his mandibles until his lower jaw is lightly resting on the earth and he can feel seismic energies running through the ground beneath him. Harnessing their power, he sends a pulse of energy racing towards Star, and the ground beneath the staryu explodes in a burst of scalding golden light. The staryu is knocked flat to the ground, its core flickering in distress; the earth power was sufficient to crack the precious gem, leaving it even more vulnerable to damage in the future.

jaketiger1116 (O)
trapinch
Health: 72%
Energy: 69%
Used: Toxic ~ Solarbeam ~ Earth Power
- Hates the rain.

Timeline4All (O)
staryu
Energy: 92%
Used: Nothing ~ Rain Dance ~ Bubblebeam
- Slowly righting itself. Badly poisoned (2% next round). -1 Special Defense

Terrain Notes
The sun has fled and been replaced by a heavy downpour (7 more actions).

Final Notes
- Staryu doesn't learn safeguard.
- Solarbeam cost more energy and did less damage because of the rain.
- Timeline4All attacks first next round.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Negrek ^.^ One thing though, I noticed that at the bottom, the you have Star and Sandom's Moves Used list and Mood or status or whatever you call it switched.

Sorry, Star. Don't you all just love the rain.
Ok, Star. No matter what, if sandom uses sunny day, counter with rain dance. If not use Bubblebeam 1st, and a Rapid Spin/Water Gun combo

Bubblebeam/Rain Dance~Rapid Spin+Water Gun/Rain Dance~_____/Rain Dance
(I don't remember how to notate if you used a combo the previous turn. Sorry

Sandom my friend, I'm sorry about the type disadvantage you're facing. But considering the current stats, you're doing excellent, keep it up!
Alright, start off with Body Slam. Then use a Signal Beam, and then use Giga Drain on Star's health.

Body Slam~Signal Beam~Giga Drain (Health)

Round Three

jaketiger1116 (O)
trapinch
Energy: 69%
Commands: Body Slam ~ Signal Beam ~ Giga Drain (Health)
- Hates the rain.

Timeline4All (O)
staryu
Energy: 92%
Commands: Bubblebeam/Rain Dance~Rapid Spin+Water Gun/Rain Dance
- Slowly righting itself. Badly poisoned (2% next round). -1 Special Defense

Star isn't taking damage to its core lying down, and though to Sandom, the staryu looks as cooly detached as ever, a mixture of anger and distress seethes through the water type's star-shaped body. It puts all the venom it can muster into its next attack, pumping out a particularly vicious bubblebeam. Sandom's eyes widen; the huge cloud of bubbles is much larger than the last, and the collective force of them bursting against his body is enough to actually push him backward a couple of inches. The trapinch grinds his mandibles ruefully; if not for his glossy shell, he's certain he would be left bruised all over from that attack. Even as it is, he moves gingerly as he hefts his outsized head, trundles over to Star, and throws himself awkwardly atop his opponent. Star is borne to the ground beneath the trapinch's weight, surprised and uncomfortably crushed.

Dislodging the trapinch is easy enough, though. Sandom slips off the staryu's arms as it begins to spin below him, slowly at first as it fights the friction brought on by his weight, then faster as he slides back to the ground. Sandom is thrown well free of the staryu as it begins to spray water from each of its points, creating a wild sprinkler effect as it spins. As it turns out, though, Star's rapid spin is shaky enough to send water jetting erratically in all directions, and the majority of it actually misses Sandom. The trapinch is given some time to right himself and regain his feet as the staryu spins down and recovers from its combo, and once he's gotten his legs under him again, he tries a new tactic. Drawing on his close relationship to bugs, Sandom begins charging one of their signature attacks, a twisting orb of intertwined blue and red energy growing in his mouth. The trapinch lines up his aim, then releases the signal beam directly at Star, the twined blue and red energy pulsing unsteadily as it travels across the arena. Star, which had only just righted itself, is knocked horizontal again, but if Sandom succeeded in dazzling his foe with the flashing lights, there is no sign of it.

A little disappointed, the trapinch falls back on a more familiar attack that he's sure will work. Green light percolates through the ground beneath his feet as he locks onto his opponent's life energy, draining another chunk of its vitality away. Star's arms flail briefly in protest, but Sandom can't sustain the attack for long; he is forced to withdraw, allowing Star to gather itself and plot revenge unhindered.

jaketiger1116 (O)
trapinch
Health: 45%
Energy: 55%
Used: Body Slam ~ Signal Beam ~ Giga Drain
- Okay.

Timeline4All (O)
staryu
Health: 47%
Energy: 87%
Used: Bubblebeam ~ Rapid Spin + Water Gun
- Feeling a bit sick. Badly poisoned (3% next round). -1 Special Defense

Terrain Notes
Rain continues to drench the arena, turning once-dusty patches to treacherous mud (4 more actions).

Final Notes
- So yeah, when I "fixed" the end status earlier, I managed to miss half the problem. It's now fully corrected.
- Star's bubblebeam was a critical hit, but its combo was only a glancing blow.
- jaketiger1116 attacks first next round.

Last edited:
(Thanks Negrek! ^.^)
Alrighty then, Sandom. Things are looking bad but I'm not about to give up hope! Alright, so let's see, I want you to use Crunch. After you've done that, I want you to Dig underground, but make sure you go over a bit and dig up slightly so Star can't fill your hole with water or anything. Then I want you to Chill while safe in your hole.

Crunch~Dig~Chill

Now Star, we fight onward!!
First, use Hydro Pump. Now use Hydro Pump again; unless Sandom is somehow faster, then use Double Team for 5. Now use Camouflage, but only if you become grass, if not, just chill.
Hydro Pump~Hydro Pump/Double Team (5)~Camouflage(only if go grass)/Chill

Back
Top Bottom