• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Lady Gaga

Yeah, Katy Perry is just godawful in every fucking way. She makes herself appear so LGBT-positive, but when it comes to actually being positive, well. That's another issue entirely.

And so the Born This Way video is released...

My opinion? I'm feeling kind of "meh". I love the space imagery, but those sequences, the dance sequences, the skeleton guy sequences, etc weren't meshed very well together in my opinion. Mostly I don't like the direction of the video.

I'm also not too keen on the monologue at the beginning; she started talking about evil and the whole pendulum thing and "how can i protect something so perfect without evil" and then that entire plotline just stopped cold. Unless the skeleton guy sequence was supposed to be about evil? I have no idea, it really wasn't clear to me.

I think Telephone is the last music video of Gaga's that I've actually understood and felt comfortable with.

I thought the Born This Way video was genious. But then again I have an, er, different taste in things than other people. I didn't like all the vagina-related symbols, though. That was quite strange.

I actually started liking "Born This Way" better after seeing the video, but maybe that's only because it's the second time I've heard the song. This video is not my favorite of hers, but the song is kind of growing on me. Racial slurs aside, it's pretty positive and feel-good and all that.

Just out of curiosity (since "nigger is in every rap song!" is apparently an invalid argument because rappers aren't trying to have the pretense of being open-minded or whatever like Gaga), what is your guys' opinion on the original lyrics of Michael Jackson's "They Don't Care About Us"? It's basically the same deal as Lady Gaga's lyrical choices in this song, only... Lady Gaga used the offending words in a grammatical context which makes more sense. More specifically, do you think his defense of the original lyrics justifies it? Why or why not?

Last edited:
Mostly I don't care for Born This Way because it really sounds exactly like Express Yourself. And while I'm not the biggest Madonna fan, I am enough of one to go :| each time I hear Born This Way.

... I don't really have an opinion on MJ's song.

As for "Grow A Pear," yes it extremely offensive but it's catchy and I really don't mind it much. Sometime's I'll be inclined to skip it if it plays on my iPod and sometimes I might let it play.

As for Katy Perry, I don't really care if "SHE IS AN EXAMPLE OF EVERYTHING WRONG ABOUT THE PRESSURES ON WOMEN IN THIS OUR CURRENT ERA," as I don't see hardly anyone observing her behavior closely enough to be influenced by her in such a way that would have anything to do with pressures. I'd say 95% of the people who listen to her music will either dance to it or simply sing/hum/think along for it's catchiness. She still has many redeeming qualaties as a person and makes (IMO) great music.

this topic has gone from 'lady gaga' to 'lady gaga, katy perry, ke$ha, and various other pop artists'

Well the OP did say to discuss pop music in general, sooo :P
Also, in reference to your last post (about the song sounding like California Gurls) have you heard how California Gurls sounds amazingly like TiK ToK?

As for the Born This Way video, I love it and it has a very interesting concept. The story is interesting as well. However, I suppose I might have been expecting more - I say it's only her third best, after Telephone and the obvious choice of Bad Romance. It's unrealistic to expect her to top those two videos, the latter of which is basically the biggest thing in pop music's recent history.
Oh, and I'm a huge Madonna fan too, and I don't think BTW is a ripoff of Express Yourself.

(Disclaimer: I'm not really much of a fan of post-Like-a-Virgin Madge at all; the first time I heard Express Yourself was when the BTW comparisons started.) I have to say, though, that I hear nothing similar between the two songs, at least not any more than any other random Madge song and Gaga song. Vogue and Dance in the Dark were tons, tons more similar than BTW and Express Yourself. IMO these two songs are only getting compared because the message is roughly the same, Gaga already draws Madonna comparisons anyway, and pop music really doesn't differ from other pop music that much ever.

As for "Grow A Pear," yes it extremely offensive but it's catchy and I really don't mind it much. Sometime's I'll be inclined to skip it if it plays on my iPod and sometimes I might let it play.

As for Katy Perry, I don't really care if "SHE IS AN EXAMPLE OF EVERYTHING WRONG ABOUT THE PRESSURES ON WOMEN IN THIS OUR CURRENT ERA," as I don't see hardly anyone observing her behavior closely enough to be influenced by her in such a way that would have anything to do with pressures. I'd say 95% of the people who listen to her music will either dance to it or simply sing/hum/think along for it's catchiness. She still has many redeeming qualaties as a person and makes (IMO) great music.

wJKNq.gif

POINT
whoooooooosh
YOUR HEAD

I have to say, though, that I hear nothing similar between the two songs, at least not any more than any other random Madge song and Gaga song. Vogue and Dance in the Dark were tons, tons more similar than BTW and Express Yourself. IMO these two songs are only getting compared because the message is roughly the same, Gaga already draws Madonna comparisons anyway, and pop music really doesn't differ from other pop music that much ever.

^ This. I just compared the two and there are no explicit similarities.

That being said, I actually liked the BTW video, though it's not on par with her other videos imo.

If anyone else really cares, Lady Gaga has just ended her partnership with Target, who (as I believe was already said) financially supports various anti-LGBT organizations and people.

If anyone else really cares, Lady Gaga has just ended her partnership with Target, who (as I believe was already said) financially supports various anti-LGBT organizations and people.

For more information for those who haven't been following it, Gaga set up an exclusive deal for Target to release a deluxe edition of her new album if they stopped funding anti-LGBT groups/people. This was as of about a month or so ago, I think. In the interim, they haven't stopped, so she cut off the deal.

Without even getting into the LGBT issues, what really irritates me are the people who are mad at Gaga for trying to "limit the business/financial freedom of Target" (paraphrasing). No, she wasn't... they were perfectly free to not do what she wanted, and they didn't, so they don't get her deal. It's very simple.

So now that "Born this Way" has been released, what do you all think about it?

I haven't bought the album, but I must admit that I'm in love with "Government Hooker."

Mostly I don't care for Born This Way because it really sounds exactly like Express Yourself. And while I'm not the biggest Madonna fan, I am enough of one to go :| each time I hear Born This Way.

I realise this is really late for me to be commenting on this, but yessss I am not the only one who caught this.

So guys, I'm totally in love with "Judas". :D

Oh oh oh oh oh I'm in love with Ju-u-das, Ju-u-das

Heavy Metal Lover slays all your lives abut Americano kinda sucks.
Born This Way (the album) is amazing, but it's missing a bit of the catchiness of The Fame and The Fame Monster. Marry The Night and Heavy Metal Lover are my favorite tracks.
It's also on track to sell about 1.15 million in 1 week here in the US.

Favourite tracks so far are Government Hooker, Black Jesus+Amen Fashion, Americano, Scheisse and Heavy Metal Lover. It's my second favourite album, next to the Scissor Sisters' Night Work (granted, I don't have that many albums...)

Back
Top Bottom