• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Languages

Skroy

Eh... =P
Hello! So, what languages do you guys speak and/or write in?

I'm fluent in the English language obviously but sometimes I mix up definitions of certain words. I know how to speak and write in French as well, though not as much. In fact, I'm still having difficulty verbally communicating in French whereas my writing and reading skills are fairly decent (but they still need a lot of improvement).

(Now to translate this for fun and for practice:

Salut! Quelles langues est-ce que vous vous parlez et/ou écrivez?

Je suis coulant en langue anglais évidemment, mais parfois j'encore confuse les definitions des mots particuliéres. Je comprend comment parler et écrire en français aussi, mais ce n'est pas assez. En fait, j'ai encore de diffculté à communiquer en français oralement, alors que mes capacités en écriture et lecture sont assez décents (mais ils ont encore besoin beaucoup d'amélioration).

...Ugh, that translation definitely needs a lot of work...)

I'm fluent is English and Welsh and am awaiting exam results for French, German and Latin. I think I'm pretty good at French, but if I don't think about it for a while I tend to forget a lot.

I know I've failed German and Latin though D: I only know very basic German and I can only translate Latin if I know generally what's going on anyway, and then only if I'm lucky.

This will be fun~

I am a native speaker of Spanish. Aunque el espanol es mi primer lenguaje, no lo he estudiado mucho y entonces hago muchos errores cuando escribiendo. He empesado a aprender mas sobre el espanol, pero todavia queda mucho a saber. (although spanish is my first language, I haven't studied it much and so I make a lot of errors while writing. I've started to learn more abotu spanish, but there's still a lot to know.)

I consider English my second native language. I know it much better than Spanish (and better than most native anglophones; I've met quite a few people who just use commas in place of semi-colons) and I think that its history is fascinating. I wish I could study Old English. I love seeing how it's changed.

I study French. Je n'etudie pas beaucoup le Francais, mais je sais sufficient pour parler aux francophones. Je suis allee a Montreal et parlee francais avec les gens. Je sais ou vont les accents, mais je ne veux pas ouvrier le keyboard francais. (I don't study French a lot, but I know enough to speak with Francophones. I went to Montreal and spoke French with the people. I know where the accents go, but I don't want to open the French keyboard. [because I'm lazy]).

I study Russian. Русский язык очень красивый язык. Я должен изучать, но я ленивая. Я люблю русские идиоми. Я на этом кошку съела. (Russian is a very beautiful language. I should study, but I'm lazy. I love Russian idioms. I ate the cat on it/ I know a lot about it [I don't actually know a lot about Russian idioms]).

I'd like to study Hindi, Icelandic, and a bunch of other languages as well, but Russian and French are the ones I've advanced most in.

My user title (الْقَلَمُ مَكْسُوْر) means "The pen is broken", if you must know. :p

Lol the only one I speak fluently is English

I know bits of French, German, Spanish and Swedish and can read a teeny bit of Japanese

My native language is English, I can bludgeon my way through a small amount of Spanish, and I've taken two years of Latin.

Languages I am interested in: Swedish, Russian, Japanese.

Slechts een klein beetje van het Nederlands. En ik ben waarschijnlijk te maken een veel van fouten. Zo ja, ik ben toch leren.
("Only a little bit of Dutch, and I'm probably making a lot of mistakes. So yes, I'm still learning." I also have to double-check sentence structure and a few words with Google Translator so I won't call it a second language yet or anything. :/ )
I'd also very much like to learn to read Japanese, if only so I can import games and suchlike~

indeed. it's a pretty awesome language, it's fun too. i'm having more fun with that, and learning at a way faster pace than i did japanese.

hmm..

Well Mandarin is my first language, but I essentially learned it alongside English.

I studied Spanish through middle school and high school, but I'm rather bad at it now.

Understanding (and speaking) a bit of Japanese is a given considering how much anime I watch, and more recently, visual novels.

Besides that, I can read a little Cyrillic, and know random words in a bunch of languages.

Well, it's a bit confusing for me, but my mother's Portuguese, my dad's Dutch and I live in the French part of Belgium so I'm fluent in all of those. I can write French and Dutch decently but I make mistakes because I can't really be bothered.
My parents spoke English with each other so I picked that up too. I got better at it in school later on.

The only language I really want to learn in Russian, so I'd probably better start getting my arse into gear by, I don't know, learning the Cyrillic alphabet I guess. I'd quite like to learn German and since I'm fluent in Dutch I sort of understand it already, I just want to be able to speak it. Screw what my mother says, it's a nice language

EDIT: Skroy, your French translation was very good! I only see a couple of grammar issues (word placement and some English influence mostly) but they're not that important.

Obviously, I'm fluent in English. I can also ascertain that I am reasonably proficient in German, having spent three days by myself in Cologne. :D

My French is fairly crappy, and I'll probably have forgotten most of it by the end of summer. I'm not taking it for A-level, so yeah. :(

I'm fluent in Swedish and English, and I speak a tiny bit of French. I've been studying Mandarin for about a year, though that doesn't get you very far.

Slechts een klein beetje van het Nederlands. En ik ben waarschijnlijk te maken een veel van fouten. Zo ja, ik ben toch leren.
("Only a little bit of Dutch, and I'm probably making a lot of mistakes. So yes, I'm still learning." I also have to double-check sentence structure and a few words with Google Translator so I won't call it a second language yet or anything. :/ )
I'd also very much like to learn to read Japanese, if only so I can import games and suchlike~

Hahaha your grammar is pretty awful, but keep going!

I speak fluent Dutch and English, and have basic French and German. I can also read some Latin (having studied that for five years, and French/German for four years respectively).

Fluent in English and Cantonese Chinese; currently learning (/grasping) Mandarin Chinese and doing a Japanese course at school. Also interested in taking French in the near future.

EDIT: Skroy, your French translation was very good! I only see a couple of grammar issues (word placement and some English influence mostly) but they're not that important.

Out of the four aspects I'm marked on in French class (l'oral, l'écriture, la lecture et l'écoute), my writing is the best so I'm not too worried about it. But I do have this habit of translating every phrase in the literal sense.

Lol, nederland-ish sounds a little bit like german, which is what I know almost fluently. I know english, and a little bit french.

-French(Je m'appelles Twiggy for victory, Et toi?)
-German(Ich heise Twiggy for victory(twiggy für den sieg))
-English(.....You dont know how to say it...?
My name is Twiggy for victory.)

I'm obviously fluent in English but the closest language after English is French. I'm fairly good at French but I wouldn't say I'm conversational yet. I've had conversations in French with real French people but I'm not confident enough to reply often or properly. I understand much more than I speak.

The next language after French would be Welsh, but I'm honestly really, really bad at it and only know random words and sentences. (Ga i fynd i'r toiledu?, mae hi'n bwrw'r glaw, mae'n gas gyda fi, wy wedi ffrio, gwallt etc)

I'm only fluent in a strange, unusual dialect that apparently needs to be subtitled everywhere else but here.

I can speak French too kinda, because I picked it up again for Higher. And I did Spanish two years ago but I've forgotten a lot of it. D:

Back
Top Bottom