• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Life after Death?

Scyther

i write erotic novels. for children.
I haven't seen this thread anywhere, so...

So, what'd ya think? I don't really like to think about it much, because absolutely... ceasing really does scare me.

Since you're all athiests and such, I know I won't see the same answer twice. Go crazy.

I think that if there were indeed an afterlife, it would probably not be human-centric *cough cough stupid religions cough*.

This being said, I'm not sure how to discount the existence of an afterlife, though as of now, I do not believe in souls (simply because there is no materialistic evidence of it existing).

Don't get me wrong - I dearly hope there is an afterlife. But it won't be the Christian Heaven.

At one point I kind of believed in reincarnation - and I still think that, if souls do indeed exist, that's a more logical explanation than having them all go to some specific place set aside for them for all eternity or what have you. I mean, what would be the physics behind that? It'd have to be an infinite amount of space, otherwise people are going to keep dying and it's going to keep getting fuller and fuller. It becomes even more of a problem if you assume that animals have souls too.

Reincarnation has some holes in it too... like where did the souls initially come from, and are brand new souls being put into rotation as the world becomes more populated than ever? But, hey, it's not like there's any proof of souls existing. Much less a scientific explanation behind them.

Right now I kind of doubt that there's anything. I'm not particularly disturbed by that, either, because it's not like I can really get bored/tired/freaked out if my brain no longer functions and I have no self-awareness whatsoever. It's all good.

I can see how it's a disturbing thought; I don't think it's a concept that humans can wrap their minds around, because you can't really imagine what it's like to not exist. I just think that if I don't exist, my brain doesn't exist, therefore I can't sit around and remember what it was like to exist and be freaked out about not existing any more.

I admit it would be cool to be able to look down and see what silly things the human race gets up to after I'm gone, while not having any of it affect me any more. :p

^Not at all, huh?

Well, by all means, it really does make no sense. But then not-existing... well, I suppose, like you said, it's hard to wrap your head around.

But honestly, it's fear of the Unknown, not the inevible. So why do I suddenly feel fear when I think about it, along with other people.

no, no afterlife in any way or form at all ever.

not in the traditional sense, not some obscure "well not any of the *religious* afterlives, but maaybe if you look at it this way !" pseudo-supernatural way, not at all.

once your brain stops letting you be aware of anything, that is it. you will not "pass on" to anywhere, you do not "go to a better place", you will cease to be alive. You will still *exist*, in the sense that the conglomeration of organic matter that you once called your body will still be there for a while after you die, but only in that sense.

it is a hard thing to come to terms with, and that's why religions exist.

Last edited:
I don't believe in an afterlife. I've seen no discernible reason to think souls exist and therefore little reason to believe in life after death or reincarnation.

Xikaze pretty much summed up my feelings on death itself.

Yeah, just gonna be an echo here and say that when your brain dies, that's it, you're gone. I'd really like to believe in re-incarnation (heaven and hell just sound boring and unfair) but I can't quite manage to.
It'd be pretty cool if at the moment of the death whatever you believed in happened though :v like if you believe in heaven, you go to heaven, if you believe in being reborn, bob's your uncle, etc.

I too am a believer in the "Brain Death = Game Over" (Ha, those are two Nuclear Assault songs =P) theory. Too me, death is just a deep sleep; you have no sense of the reality around you and you don't remember anything when you wake up. Only this time, you won't wake up. I don't believe in an afterlife, but I won't fully discount the possibility. And if there is one, since an afterlife does not equal a god, there won't be any judging factor or reward for being religious.

Truthfully though, after a long, hard life, I wouldn't mind eternal sleep. Plus, the thought of it being that way helps me enjoy this short life I have now.

I hope that there is an afterlife, but I have no way of knowing.

I mean, what would be the physics behind that? It'd have to be an infinite amount of space, otherwise people are going to keep dying and it's going to keep getting fuller and fuller.

I was always under the impression that souls are immaterial. I think there is both a scientific and cosmic side to nearly everything. For example;

Why are eyes different colors?

Scientific: It's the result of genetic mutations over time.
Cosmic: For variety.

I don't see why they both can't be true. So maybe this applies to humans, too; Scientifically, we're a mass of shambling cells that, through a series of unlikely coincidences, came to sentience. Cosmically, we have a purpose, and what we call a soul.

In my opinion.

I really, really hope that there's an afterlife.

I'm terrified of death. I made the mistake of reading the Real Life High Octane Nightmare Fuel page on TV Tropes and it's effecting me. I'm currently trying to fix it with Ice Cream, The Sims 2, Do You Realize?, and reminding my self that I have a long time still left.

Knowing my luck, however, there's probably nothing. I hope at the very least I get a good dream...

Well, being one of the only Christians on this board, my answer is probably gonna look a little different. =P Naturally, I believe in an afterlife, but this has actually scared me more than the thought of not existing at times.

I'm kinda lacking in self-confidence, which furthers my feelings of guilt, and I wonder sometimes that if there is heaven and hell, which one I'll end up in... Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better if there was just eternal blackness.

But my faith endures somehow, despite everything I've been through, and I still hold on to the hope of forgiveness...

As for those who say they can't find material evidence of an afterlife - how would you find evidence of an afterlife in something mortal and material? For an afterlife would be beyond the material. The thing about eternal life is that it's more a matter of faith than proof. And even if it isn't real, if believing in it helps us get by in this life, what does it matter? If there isn't anything after death, we won't be conscious to feel bad about it.

Personally though, I do believe in Heaven and hell and all that. I just hope I'm deemed worthy of the former when I die. >_> I haven't exactly been the perfect Christian...

If you're bent on staying Christian and are afraid of hell, I can ease your troubles a little.

Your God is supposed to be 100% benevolent, right? And he is the sole creator of the human brain/consciousness? And everything humans do is supposed to be all in God's plan, right? Taking this into account, it is extremely illogical that the very same benevolent God would deny a person entrance into Heaven based on his or her thoughts or actions in life. I mean, you have to ignore some contradicting bits of your religion, but that's what Christianity is all about.

I know you guys aren't big on logic, but being a Christan and being afraid of the afterlife is like working a high paying job and being afraid of getting your paycheck.

Last edited:
With that logic everyone goes to heaven because everyone's life is planned out in advance and it's not their fault they did anything. Which I don't oppose, but.
Or you could go the 'only christians/catholics go to heaven lol' route which would suck because Hitler would be in heaven and all the Jews burning in hell forever.

Well I am a christian but I don't believe half the stuff those catholics do. On my opinion there's two tree's. One, Gods people's tree, the others, the lost tree. Every one has there own branch, but, everyone is not born on God's tree. Once you except Him your branch will be grafted on to God's tree, and you will be in his family. Eventually, that tree will incinerate, leaving no seeds. Then one tree will be left.

Now on the matter that Spaekle Oddberry brought up about too many souls, I believe I read somewhere that space is continually expanding. Oh, and animals don't have souls. Their brains shut off and their gone. Animals are almost like robots. Remove the batteries and they stop going.

I think hell is in the core. Think about it. It IS under everyone. So basicly that theory suggests that if your lost, your going on a journey to the center of the earth. :freaked:

Now on the matter that Spaekle Oddberry brought up about too many souls, I believe I read somewhere that space is continually expanding. Oh, and animals don't have souls. Their brains shut off and their gone. Animals are almost like robots. Remove the batteries and they stop going.

you are a jerk wtf

Back
Top Bottom