• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

~~MANIFESTO FOR ORIGINALFLAVOR POKEMON FANFICTION~~

Eloi

~~GUIDE FOR ORIGINALFLAVOR POKEMON FANFICTION~~

QUESTIONS ON THE GUIDE

WHAT IS THIS GUIDE?

This guide is to help for Pokemon Fan Fiction to be more in line with the spirit and flavor of the actual franchise. While differently-flavored fiction can be pretty awesome (see also: Morphic and The Quest for the Legends, both non original-flavor but very awesome fan fiction), original flavor Pokemon Fan Fiction is an underused genre, and many don't attempt it because there really is no guidelines to refer to due the concept based nature of the franchise. Thus this is something to help you write original flavor Pokemon Fan Fiction.

WHAT EXACTLY IS ORIGINAL FLAVOR FOR SUCH A DIVERSE FRANCHISE?

This diverse franchise may seem divided, but the concepts that are passed around still stay true to the core.

WHAT INSPIRED THIS?

Reading over director Masuda's blog "Hidden Power", and seeing how very different his conception of Pokemon was compared to the general census of fan fiction flavor. Also, Butterfree was a big help when it came to re-organization of the principles and ideas for it. Thanks Butterfree! ^.^

TIPS FOR ORIGINALFLAVOR
1. THE CREATURES "POKEMON" WILL ALWAYS BE THE FOCAL POINT OF THE STORY.
In most media of the franchise, you will notice the Pokemon are always the driving force of the plot, and the focus on them. This may be why the Anime can survive having a bland character like Ash, and why the Games can have a mute protagonists: its because the human characters are not the focus.
2. ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS SHOULD TAKE A BACKSEAT TO FRIENDSHIP
Why is shipping so heated and debated in Pokemon fandom? Because romantic relationships are never given much focus in the main stories. At the end of the day, your character wants/has friends. Even if all of these friends can be stored in spherical red and white balls. Friendship is the most important thing about Pokemon. And thus, it should be the most important thing in your originalflavor fan fiction.

3. THE WORLD IS COMFORTING AND INVITING AS WELL AS IDEAL. THERE CAN BE PROBLEMS, HOWEVER.
Do you ever notice how nobody in the Pokemon world worries about war or politics (note the vagueness involved in referring to a government type or even country names), energy problems (they seem to be resolved by the looks of it), inflation or economic problems? This is because the Pokemon world represents an ideal world. If you want a similar ideal world, you can see Star Trek for instance. Sure they have problems, but they are not completely and utterly hopeless. What I mean is, in Pokemon, you have Villainous Teams and some dangerous legendary Pokemon, in Neon Genesis Evangelion, you have more than one way to cause the apocalypse, with agents of these being things that can destroy civilization in the first place and in 1984, you have a society that is based around a dictatorship that doesn't care about the lower-people in society, and is implied will last forever. If your world's problems are in the same rank as the hopeless problems in Neon Genesis Evangelion and 1984, than you are losing the spirit of Pokemon. The world itself is one that is inviting and one you wish to return to. Thats the thing: the Pokemon world should be one you want to run away to, not run away from. Which means you should usually put the power of evil and mischief in the hands of your antagonists. If you start to make the Pokemon World an evil place, than its no longer one a 10-year-old can run out and talk to strangers and have fun. And that means its not longer the Pokemon World.

4. POKEMON LIKE BEING WITH PEOPLE IN NATURE
Pokemon love people, generally (there are exceptions of course). Pokemon like being captured, they like being trained, they don't feel like they are being ripped away from families in a tragic manner, they feel like they are gaining a new human friend.
99% of the time, Pokemon are only aggressive if a human is responsible. Shadow Pokemon attack people because they were corrupted to do so. Team Rocket's Pokemon killed other Pokemon in Lavender because they were told to. Groudon would only destroy Hoenn's oceans because it was being awaken unnaturally by Team Magma. While Pokemon-on-human attacks exist in nature, it is the exception rather than the rule. In other words, if the Pokemon in your fanfic isn't likely to ever bond with a human under any circumstance, and all Pokemon capturing and training is portrayed negatively, it is not original-flavor.

If you have any ideas for re-organization or additions, propose them in the thread.

Last edited:
... What exactly is the purpose of this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but imposing restrictions on what a person can and can't write - even if that person is yourself - goes very much against the spirit of writing, doesn't it? If somebody wants to write the Pokémon animé, they're free to do so, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to write a good story.

... What exactly is the purpose of this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but imposing restrictions on what a person can and can't write - even if that person is yourself - goes very much against the spirit of writing, doesn't it? If somebody wants to write the Pokémon animé, they're free to do so, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to write a good story.

*sigh* I know exactly what kind of post this was going to be before even clicking it. I don't think I've ever made *anything* that isn't criticized before it just dies. But enough with me babeling.

These are not restrictions, these are simply guidelines to help give you ideas and a general sense of how to make your stories seem more like the actual franchise its based off of. These sort of guidelines are helpful in the genre of originalflavor fic because originalflavor fanfics are defined by trying to keep to the franchise it is based off, which is hard to due with Pokemon because its a concept-based franchise.

*sigh* I know exactly what kind of post this was going to be before even clicking it. I don't think I've ever made *anything* that isn't criticized before it just dies. But enough with me babeling.
Yes, I've seen some of your posts around here. Make what you will of it; either you need to put some more thought into what you say, or we're all a bunch of bigoted xenophobics with our panties in a bunch. (Note: this is not me being sarcastic.)

Frankly though, what were you expecting? "Good idea, I'm in"?

These are not restrictions, these are simply guidelines to help give you ideas and a general sense of how to make your stories seem more like the actual franchise its based off of. These sort of guidelines are helpful in the genre of originalflavor fic because originalflavor fanfics are defined by trying to keep to the franchise it is based off, which is hard to due with Pokemon because its a concept-based franchise.
Why would you sign a set of guidelines?

In any case, I'm pretty sure anyone trying to write Pokémon fanfiction is already familiar with Pokémon, no? What kind of person would actually need these guidelines? Someone who wants to write "originalflavour" fanfiction without knowing what "originalflavour" entails?

Generally speaking, fanfiction authors know what kind of story they want to write and choose to deviate from the canon when it makes things more interesting. I can't really picture anyone going "Well, it would be cool if this happened, but I can't do that because it's not in line with the spirit of the franchise..." unless they already knew all about the franchise and its workings to begin with.

Yes, I've seen some of your posts around here. Make what you will of it; either you need to put some more thought into what you say, or we're all a bunch of bigoted xenophobics with our panties in a bunch. (Note: this is not me being sarcastic.)
I do put thoughts into what I say, a lot of them (I read all of director Masuda's blog and all the interviews I could find to figure out what Pokemon really meant and what the franchise's core was. Can someone say Ciao?), appeantly they are just the wrong ones. *shrugs digressively*
Frankly though, what were you expecting? "Good idea, I'm in"?
"Sounds interesting. But really tho', I think X is a core concept of the franchise. Add X."

"I think a break from all the darkfics would be nice, yeah, but I don't exactly agree with the guidelines. I like the spirit of it tho', it needs tweaking."

"You suck. Here is much better writing advice about Pokemon fan fiction: [link]"
Why would you sign a set of guidelines?
Because its fun and club-y.
In any case, I'm pretty sure anyone trying to write Pokémon fanfiction is already familiar with Pokémon, no? What kind of person would actually need these guidelines? Someone who wants to write "originalflavour" fanfiction without knowing what "originalflavour" entails?
Someone who wants to capture the feel of the franchise but can't put their finger on what exactly the feel of the franchise is defined as.

Generally speaking, fanfiction authors know what kind of story they want to write and choose to deviate from the canon when it makes things more interesting. I can't really picture anyone going "Well, it would be cool if this happened, but I can't do that because it's not in line with the spirit of the franchise..." unless they already knew all about the franchise and its workings to begin with.

Yes, but I just think a new set of stories that actually wanted to look at the franchise and say "Hey, you know what, lets not make everysingle Pokemon eebil, and every stranger a murderer, lets actually follow whats in front of us." Sure darkfics are nice, but I am tired of them. I just didn't know if anyone else felt the same sentiment of wanting to get back to what the franchise's spirit is.

I don't really read Pokémon fanfiction, so correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't darkfics and blood and gore in a minority? Last time I looked (admittedly years ago), most Pokémon fanfics were formulaic trainer fics where Faceless Kid Protagonist gets a starter Pokémon and goes on a Gym Challenge and encounters a dozen Legendaries, evil Pokémon-abusing Teams and probably a stuck-up Rival along the way - which is as much in line with the spirit of the franchise as you can get, really.

Last edited:
I don't really read Pokémon fanfiction, so correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't darkfics and blood and gore in a minority? Last time I looked (admittedly years ago), most Pokémon fanfics were formulaic trainer fics were Faceless Kid Protagonist gets a starter Pokémon and goes on a Gym Challenge and encounters a dozen Legendaries, evil Pokémon-abusing Teams and probably a stuck-up Rival along the way - which is as much in line with the spirit of the franchise as you can get, really.

Add blood, gore, anti-heroes, [insert-Dark-Age-Of-Comic-Books-value here] to that formula and you have the modern Pokemon fan fic scene.

Add blood, gore, anti-heroes, [insert-Dark-Age-Of-Comic-Books-value here] to that formula and you have the modern Pokemon fan fic scene.
Well, I wouldn't know.

Still, I hardly think your manifesto is going to change that, now is it! Hurr.

Based on... every time I've been unfortunate enough to look in the Pokémon section on fanfiction.net, I'd say shipping-based stories featuring the anime characters are probably the most common type of Pokémon fanfic.

Trainer-goes-on-an-adventure stories might be the second-most-common, though. I'm not 100% sure.

5. POKEMON DON'T KILL PEOPLE. PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. POKEMON MAY BE POWERFUL BUT THEY AREN'T OUT FOR YOUR BLOOD NATURALLY.
99% of the time, Pokemon are only aggressive if a human is responsible. Shadow Pokemon attack people because they were corrupted to do so. Team Rocket's Pokemon killed other Pokemon in Lavender because they were told to. Groudon would only destroy Hoenn's oceans because it was being awaken unnaturally by Team Magma. In other words, if the Pokemon in your fanfic isn't likely to ever bond with a human under any circumstance, and is more of a natural force that destroys without any outside force causing it to, its not an original-flavor Pokemon.

One bit you're forgetting here: in the original games, most Pokémon just aren't powerful enough to kill adult humans without any trouble. It's entirely possible for a slightly-better-than-average human to survive a Dragonite's Hyper Beam, and even stay conscious afterward; stronger humans even spar with their Pokémon using actual martial-arts type stuff rather than just training them against other Pokémon.

So even if Pokémon did want to kill humans on a regular basis, none of them but the higher-level legendaries would be very good at it.

Wait a minute, I've got a .gif expressing my reaction to this thread.

x3btbn.jpg

Well, I wouldn't know.

Still, I hardly think your manifesto is going to change that, now is it! Hurr.

*looks at you with blank expression* *begins to say something* *stops* *tilts head at an angle and stares at you with same blank expression*

Based on... every time I've been unfortunate enough to look in the Pokémon section on fanfiction.net, I'd say shipping-based stories featuring the anime characters are probably the most common type of Pokémon fanfic.
See tenant 2.

Trainer-goes-on-an-adventure stories might be the second-most-common, though. I'm not 100% sure.
But always not with the spirit of the franchise behind it.

So even if Pokémon did want to kill humans on a regular basis, none of them but the higher-level legendaries would be very good at it.
True, but they don't try in the first place without tampering, so they shouldn't be portrayed as wanting to harm them on a regular basis naturally. (If you are about to say: TALL GRASS! I would like to remind you that the Pokemon politely doesn't attack you, just your Pokemon, stop attacking you when you run to a Pokemon Center with your fainted Pokemon, and only attacks you one at a time. I would say the Pokemon aren't trying to hurt you, just want to get Experience from your Pokemon so they can level up. Well thats my theory anyway.)

I'm sorry, but I just think it's mildly hilarious that making ~rules for writing Pokémon fanfiction is going to do anything at all.

It's fanfic. Nobody cares.

EDIT: It's obviously me going mad at the mere sight of this thread.

I'm sorry, but I just think it's mildly hilarious that making ~rules for writing Pokémon fanfiction is going to do anything at all.

It's fanfic. Nobody cares.

They are guidelines and suggestions for writing a certain kind of Pokemon fanfiction for authors who want to write that kind of Pokemon fanfiction but aren't sure how.
*slowly facepalms* Well at least you seem to mildly care to criticize this correctly, El Garbanzo.
EDIT: It's obviously me going mad at the mere sight of this thread.
Why does people caring about Pokemon fan fiction in the Author's Lounge of the forum of a Pokemon fan site created by someone who frequently writes Pokemon fan fiction up set you?

Well, they all seem like fairly obvious points to me. If I want to write fuzzy happy stories set in the original-flavour Pokéverse, I could... just play the games to work those out. I don't see why this is necessary.

And I'm kidding lmfao don't get up in my grill bro. It's just a .gif.

Well, they all seem like fairly obvious points to me. If I want to write fuzzy happy stories set in the original-flavour Pokéverse, I could... just play the games to work those out. I don't see why this is necessary.
Who said anything about "fuzzy happy stories"? You can have very horrible people murdering Pokemon left and right, using those Pokemon as tools for murder in those guidelines, so long as those Pokemon weren't originally like that, that characters are the ones murdering and not the setting being portrayed as dangerous.

And I'm kidding lmfao don't get up in my grill bro. It's just a .gif.
Did I convey to you my frustration well? Good, that was the purpose of my reply to you in that portion.

They are guidelines and suggestions for writing a certain kind of Pokemon fanfiction for authors who want to write that kind of Pokemon fanfiction but aren't sure how.
I can't imagine such an author existing. The only kind of person who would want to write "originalflavour fanfiction" is a person who already knows what it is.

*slowly facepalms* Well at least you seem to mildly care to criticize this correctly, El Garbanzo.
Oh, that's hurtful. What exactly is "correct criticism" then? Criticism that avoids the main issue of this thread most likely serving no purpose?

Why does people caring about Pokemon fan fiction in the Author's Lounge of the forum of a Pokemon fan site created by someone who frequently writes Pokemon fan fiction up set you?
I can't speak for Jessie, but I'm guessing it's not specifically that you care about Pokémon fanfiction so much as the sheer futility of trying to make more people write this type of fanfiction by creating a manifesto and having people sign it.

I really don't see how this is going to convince people to write in a particular way; if someone wanted to read a fic 'within the general feel of the franchise' then they'd might as well watch the anime...?

Who said anything about "fuzzy happy stories"? You can have very horrible people murdering Pokemon left and right, using those Pokemon as tools for murder in those guidelines, so long as those Pokemon weren't originally like that, that characters are the ones murdering and not the setting being portrayed as dangerous.

Did I convey to you my frustration well? Good, that was the purpose of my reply to you in that portion.

Dunno, I'd say a setting where people are murdered by tamed creatures is pretty dangerous. Glasgow is pretty dangerous, for example, and it's not because the pavements are out to get you!

Haaaaa?
2yl1lrb.jpg

Dunno, I'd say a setting where people are murdered by tamed creatures is pretty dangerous. Glasgow is pretty dangerous, for example, and it's not because the pavements are out to get you!

Haaaaa?
2yl1lrb.jpg

HaaaaaaaeeeeiiiiiI really find you annoying.

Back
Top Bottom