• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Closed Masque Carnivalia

[Meh. What happened to letting Chief post his response? >:| Now seriously, guys, let the man post. No more til he does, unless it's going dead.]

[well... thanks.]

Logan looked up, because he heard talking. Not like the talking he heard earlier, because this was quieter and less excited. Not really quieter either, because he heard them more clearly. It was to confusing to think about right now.

Trying to be quiet himself, Logan crawled further into the shadows, making a faint scratching sound as he went. He hoped they didn't hear. He didn't know them, but he didn't want to hurt them. He wanted so badly to get to know them, but he knew they wouldn't like him. Who could? He was hideous. Like a sad, misshapen dwarf on steroids.

He dared not move further as they cam closer.

"I think I found the mystery noise, Cel."

This was a deeper voice, and he somehow found it comforting. He felt he could trust him, despite how he knew it could turn out. Logan had always felt safer around other guys, and he wasn't exactly sure why. He thought he has always just thought of himself as so weak and defenseless that he needed a bodyguard.

But this was no time for thinking like that. He needed to make it so they never actually could see him. Logan curled further into a ball, or as much of one as he could manage.

So Celest was done sitting in his arms. That was fine, his arms were getting tired of her (probably) steel bones anyways. He tapped the cage with the sole of his shoe a few times, making an amusing little tune out of it very briefly before forcing himself to focus on the more serious side of the situation. Even so, he hardly considered it that serious. He puffed another tiny flame for a brief instant in hopes of seeing something in the cage. His eyes caught a glimpse of something oddly shaped, but he sure didn't think it was a monster. No more a monster than any of the Carnies he already knew, anyway.

"Hey," He tapped at the bars with his fist as though knocking on a door. "I'd shake your hand, but you should probably come out of the cage first, buddy." He wondered why this person was in a cage while the rest of them, or as far as Connor knew, had been free. He thought back to his theory he made with Celest, about this place possibly to rid them of their faults. Perhaps this person... This Carnie, as it may be, was being tested in some twisted manner. "I'm Connor, resident fire carnie and general idiot! What's your name, friend?"

Celest saw the being in the cage more clearly now. And it was exactly what she feared. That thing as sure as hell looked like it was gonna eat her!

Slipping her fingers out of the bars and stepping back from the cage, Celest bumped into Conner, which made her flinch. Realizing who it was, she stopped beside him and grabbed a hold of his arm as if he could protect her.

But what confused her was why Conner was so friendly to even someone like the beast in that cage. It didn't make any sense to the girl. Why would he do that?

However, the thought made her mind float over to why Conner talked to her in the first place. She wasn't anything special. The only thing useful she could do was weigh him down.

Turning back to the cage, Celest fell silent with the exception of her shaky breathing.

"Hey," There was a tap on the bars. "I'd shake your hand, but you should probably come out of the cage first, buddy." Logan thought this was Connor, the safe voice he heard before. "I'm Connor, resident fire carnie and general idiot! What's your name, friend?"

He was right. It was Connor. As much as Connor's voice made him feel safe, and even, liked, he didn't want to hurt him. Or any of the other people he was hearing, for that matter.

"No," Logan replied, quietly. "No. I'm in here for a reason," he was getting a little louder now, "and that reason is I'm a monster. There's nothing to be done about that. This cage can't hold me, though. I could escape if I wanted to, but I don't. I don't like it in here, but I also don't want to hurt anyone." He sighed, and ripped one of the bars right out of the side of the cage, and threw it against the other wall, making sure it would hit it horizontally, and away from the voice. "See? This cage is a joke, but I intend on staying in it."

[Btw i'm just making it difficult for you to get him out of here.]

Connor only stared at the strange carnie, or rather, stared at the darkness between them. He heard the carnie rip the bar of a cage off and throw it to display his strength as he described himself as a monster. Impressed as he was by the strength, he wasn't really thinking of his angst as a matter to be discussed. "Introductions typically work better if I learn your name." He said simply. That was more a 'fine, have it your way' statement than a 'how dare you disrespect me' one.

"So you're a monster, huh? That seems like quite the way to put yourself down, and real helpful to your situation. Could I just point out the fact that I breathe fire? Don't act like you're any more monstrous than me, or anyone else here, because you're not. Breathe. Fire." He puffed another little flame that extinguished immediately in front of him to demonstrate this.

"Look, just because you can rip metal apart with no problem, that doesn't mean you're a monster. It means you have a bragging right, but nothing else." He pressed his face against the cold bars. "So, then. My name's Connor. What's yours?" He held a hand through the bars since this person probably would want to stay there. Hope he has a wimpy handshake so he doesn't break my fingers.

Ally just put a hand over Tess's mouth.
"Shush. Come on, let's just go to the cage. Connor and Celest are there."
She floated toward the general direction of Connor's voice, and saw the Carnie in the cage.
She floated closer.
"Hi," she whispered into the cage. "Who are you?"

Tess inched forward, trying to hide behind Ally. Her eyes were wide and fearful. As the Ghost Carnie approached the cage, she peeked out, relaxing when she heard Connor's familiar voice. As much as she, a grass Carnie, hated fire, it was always nice to be able to see in the dark.
And unfamiliar voice floated through the the tent, followed by a clanging noise. Tess flinched and tried to make herself smaller. She shut her eyes, not wanting to move, but wanting to run. She began to shiver when she heard Connor say "monster". She tensed and finally bolted, tripping over a metal bar on her way out before she burst through the tent flaps. Tess collapsed on the ground, shaking and hyperventilating as she tried to recover her composure.

Kiara was walking in with Ally and Tess. Tess seemed scared. Hmph! This tent was't at all scary! She heard Connor's voice saying "So you think you're a monster?". Obviously, someone new was in there.

"Hey, You are not a monster. Well, no more of a monster than any of us. Now get out of that cage." she said bluntly. It may have been dark, but she could faintly see a cage, where she thought the unknown guy was inside it.

Celest was shocked a bit at Kiara's bluntness and overall rudeness. Why would someone be so frank and not use any sugar-coated words to comfort another? The Carnie in the cage was apparently not self-confident (like yours truly), and using such straightforwardness didn't at all help build up any faith in oneself.

When the Squirtle morph ordered him to get out of the cage, Celest blinked. Her grip on Conner's arm tightened as she timidly spoke to Kiara, "If...If he doesn't want to get out, then we shouldn't push it. Everyone has freewill, you know..." Her voice was soft and gentle, but she hoped her choice of words would get the point across.

Ally raised an eyebrow at Kiara.
"Hey, isn't that a but mean? What if you were in a cage, alone, in the dark, awaiting certain doom?"
She went back to the cage.
"Hello? Why won't you talk? Ignore Kiara, she's a teensy bit rude sometimes..."
Ally took out a sour gummi worm.
"Do you want it?"

"Sugercoating will only give him false pretenses."-she turned to the poke-morph in the cage, talking just a little sweeter. A little-"Listen, We know why you're in this cage. We were inside cages too just a little while ago. You're not a monster. If anything, we're all more of a monster than you. Now come out of the cage."

She turned to Ally. "A 'but' mean? Hehe...." she snickered.

Ally faced Kiara.
"Hey,hey,hey, I have a smallish speech problem,you know!" She frowned.
Putting the sour worm back in her pocket, she pulled out her chapstick and applied a layer to her lips.
"Also, we were never in cages. We were just thrown inside a tent."

Logan sighed yet again.

"You don't seem to understand, Connor. It's not the strength that makes me a monster. It's what I've become, physically. I'm hideous." Logan actually stood up now, and walked to the other side of his cage. "I'm not gonna lie. I like you, Connor, you make me feel safer, more wanted. But I don't want to hurt you. I don't want to hurt any of you. I want to be alone now, but if I want to later, I could easily make my way out of this cage to meet you all formally. I have to think about some things, but I never got any food so believe me, breaking out is tempting." He then walked back to his corner and lied down.

"I'm Logan, by the way."

[what is this changing my character]

Connor frowned. This person-Logan-was just being difficult at this point. Even Celest didn't pull this on him. In response to Celest, Connor said, "Everyone does have free will. And my free will says I'm going to convince this guy to come out." He watched the Carnie move in his cage, and couldn't help but sigh a little.

"Look, I know this sounds cheesy, but seriously, why does it matter that you're odd looking? Honestly, I doubt that's anything compared to the real problem here. You know, not dying and all. Look, I'll sit here for hours, maybe even days if I can fast that long. If I can't, I'll come right back after lunch, m'kay? Or you could dome to our little fire and we can sing 'Kumbaya' into the wee hours of the morning. Very much a nice night." Connor wondered if Logan would ever be convinced to leave. He figured if he didn't get a little pleasant conversation out of Logan, he'd go insane.

And he resolved that he'd have to keep Celest with him if it came down to waiting.

Celest glanced at Conner when he said that his freewill was the ability to help Logan out. She looked back at the Carnie in the cage. "... I never said he shouldn't come out... All I said was if he didn't want to. But it... it seems like we're going to have to get him out. I was thinking along the lines of giving him food and water if he wanted to stay alone here... But I guess you're right. He does need to leave the cage."

Celest let go of Conner and lightly ran her fingers across the bar. Her hands stopped when there was a small gap between the bars, obviously where someone had ripped the metal bar away. She looked at Conner. "Tell me if this fails..."

Celest took a step back, arching her right arm back. She aimed it for the bars around where the gap was... and punched them. The bars skidded across the cage floor, and Celest flinched at the metallic ring lingering in the bars.

Seeing a bit of progress, Celest had made a hole big enough for her to get through. But it had to be much bigger for Logan.

Seeing a few bars poking out, she somewhat easily bent them back to make the hole bigger. Celest exhaled deeply as she eyed the hole in the cage. She looked at Logan. "... Come with us. You wont hurt any if us more than I can. If anything... I'm as worse as you."

Logan looked up, to where he had been hearing the sounds of metal breaking and bending. One of the others, this time one of the girls, had pleaded with him to come out, to join them. Logan receded a little, and sat there. He sat for a few minutes, until he could feel her staring at him. Finally, Logan managed to choke out,

"I'm scared."

This time Kiara spoke softer, with compassion. "Look, you don't have to be scared. We aren't going to hurt you. We're all friends here. And you're not a freak. Your a Poke-morph......like us. You have no reason to be scared, now come on out."

She started at Logan with intent, her eyes becoming softer, feeling empathy.

Connor laughed a little at Celest's display of strength. "I've heard of girl power, but that is just incredible!" He chuckled a little to himself. Now if Celest could do that, like he did, with seemingly no effort, then just how could he possibly be monstrous enough to accidentally hurt anyone? Guy's a giant teddy bear, that's what he is.

He stopped laughing when it provoked a 'negative' reaction from Logan. He claimed to be scared. What was he scared of, though? Celest? No, that was ridiculous. It couldn't really be that he was saying he was scared he'd hurt someone, right? Scared of Connor, maybe, because he might be a psycopath with a silver tongue? No, that was stupid. What? What could possibly be wrong with this situation other than the darkness. So he only laughed again.

"Why should you be scared? You and Cel have insane strength, Tess, Kiara, and I have elemental freakishness going for us, and Ally is a freakin' ghost. I don't think any one of us has anything to fear." He grinned at the darkness that was the source of Logan's voice. His eyes had adjusted enough to see some of the larger details on his face. "Come on, we can go and be one big happy family and all that wonderful stuff once we get back and make sure the fire isn't all burnt out."

Tess regained her composure and crept back into the tent. She heard Celest's voice and grinding metal. Woah! she though, IS that seriously the shy Celest that was holding onto Connor for dear life three seconds ago? The thought gave her courage. C'mon Tess, she urged herself, IF she can, you can! Tess entered the tent, singing a soft, peaceful melody and using Aromatherapy to calm herself. She approached the cage and sang louder, hoping to calm whatever Carnie was inside.

Back
Top Bottom