• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Most Anticipated Upcoming Albums

Vipera Magnifica

Aquatic Artiste
Pronoun
he/him
This year looks rather hopeful when it comes to new releases. Post here with any albums that you are looking forward to having.

As for me:

New Tool album! Having waited six years since the last Tool album, I can't wait for the new album that should be arriving later this year.

Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
This collaboration between prog legends Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt is bound to be brilliant. It's just been announced that the album will be released in May.

Meshuggah - Koloss
What really can I say? These Swedes' brand of death/thrash/djent is crazy. Koloss will be out March 27th.

Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage
There's been no date set, but this is going to be one of my favorites for sure. Gojira has really raised the bar with each record so far, so I have enormous hopes for this French metal band's upcoming release on June 26th.

Rush - Clockwork Angels
'Nuff said

Black Sabbath - TBA
The original lineup of Sabbath is reuniting and going on a world tour. I would have written the past sentence in all caps had I not been a little worried about the fact that drummer Bill Ward kind of backed out on a lot of their shows. If the album is finished though, it will be amazing.

Anathema - Weather Systems
Set to come out April 24th. You can even listen to some samples on Amazon.

The Mars Volta - Noctorniquet
Every time I hear a new TMV release I feel like I'm listening to the band for the first time ever. These guys are constantly innovating, and this album should be another fantastic release.

Wintersun - Time (???)
About f***ing time. No joke, this album was supposed to be released in 2006, but has been continually delayed since then.
Jari Maenpaa = Master troll. I'm not going to be surprised if I have to wait another year or two before it's actually released.

Honorable mentions: New Katatonia album, Ensiferum album, and (multiple) Devin Townsend albums.

Last edited:
although many 2012 albums I'm quite interested in have already been released/leaked, I've been lazy to get around to checking them out yet other than Kayo Dot - Gamma Knife and Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself, both of which were extremely solid releases

here's a pretty good list of new stuff this year:

storm corrosion
john petrucci
delain
alice in chains
how to destroy angels
katatonia
between the buried and me
tool
fates warning
fredrik thordendal's special defects
osi
alcest
megaherz
lacuna coil
black pyramid
les discrets
eisbrecher
eluveitie
orange goblin
earth
xandria
pythia
amberian dawn
threshold
oomph!
gojira
moonspell
meshuggah
epica
electric wizard
jeff loomis
diablo swing orchestra
anathema
obituary
the ocean
cult of luna
candlemass
ulcerate
hypocrisy
necrophobic
absu
sleepytime gorilla museum
lunatica
black sabbath
nine inch nails
queens of the stone age
40 watt sun
havok
helloween
cynic
soundgarden
voivod
ensiferum
cathedral
emigrate
cryptopsy
sigh
emilie autumn
blut aus nord
cursive
al-namrood
periphery
swallow the sun
sleigh bells
rodrigo y gabriela
saltillo

Requiem for the Indifferent is an excellent album. It's a nice mix of elements from the previous four albums, especially The Phantom Agony. A bit of a shame Nuclear Blast accidentally put the instrumental version of Serenade of Self-Destruction on the physical copies, since the normal version is one of my favorite tracks from the album. (I also enjoy Storm the Sorrow, Delirium, Avalanche, and the title track.) So yeah, definitely give it a listen!

A lot of the other symphonic metal acts you mentioned (Lunatica, Pythia, Amberian Dawn) have disappointed in the past, so I'm not holding my breath. Xandria's new album is decent if you like old-school Nightwish, but I found it largely boring.

The only album I'm really excited for at the moment is Garbage's latest, Not Your Kind of People.

Honestly, I'm starting to think Slania's awesomeness was just luck. I haven't enjoyed anything else I've heard from Eluveitie.

I think you need to go wash out your mouth after that comment, but that's okay, I mean horses for courses.

No I still love you Datura it is all okay please forgive me!

In all seriousness: I like everything they have done. But that's the good thing - we get to have differing opinions, and we get to make fun of each other's folly.

I haven't actually listened to Helvetios, but it seems to be getting much more aclaim than The Arcane Dominion and ER(AINW)—both of which I found incredibly boring—so I'll probably end up giving it a listen.

Highly doubt it could top Slania for me, though.

Stolen Babies is apparently coming out with an album this year. If this is true, I will be a very happy ... .

And uh christina aguilera might be releasing something this year. Don't judge me.

Stolen Babies is apparently coming out with an album this year. If this is true, I will be a very happy ...
I'll be happy too, but they've been talking about a new album since 2008-ish, so I'm not getting too excited.

Really, The End Records is a terrible label in general. Virgin Black's Requiem: Pianissimo has been finished for six years—composition, recording, mixing, EVERYTHING—and there's still no information about its release. It's a shame, because The End has all of the cool avant-garde metal bands and they could really support that niche in the music world, but...

Avant-garde metal is kind of too avant-garde for me though, most of the time. The only bands you'd consider avant-garde that I've enjoyed are Arcturus (which is really a Norwegian BM offshoot that went bonkers because they had Garm) and Unexpect, which is such a completely screwed up stylistic mess that it's kind of hard to pin down what exactly they're trying to achieve, apart from sending your head spinning into outer space.

The problem is I don't want crazy to be crazy for the sake of being crazy, but because being crazy makes sense in the context of the song. This is kind of why I dislike a LOT of metal nowadays - it's just played the way it should be, which irritates me to no end because I don't want to hear aggression for the sake of aggression, complex time signatures for the sake of complex time signatures, etc. (It's a reason why I am also enjoying Dream Theater less these days, although their old work will always have a place in my heart).

What I am looking forward to is Weather Systems, though, by Anathema. This is mostly because for me I am hoping they have progressed their sound again. I have to say that in my opinion, the last one was a good record but not worth the 7 year wait despite some excellent tracks. But the Anathema I prefer is the gloomy one, in their mid-era around Judgement, and that's exactly what they were trying to get rid of in their new direction. It'll be interesting to see if their new-found creativity is going to carry the same emotional impact that it has had with me.

Last edited:
L'enfant Sauvage by Gojira is set for release June 26th. Jus' sayin'

Oh, and Storm Corrosion leaked a while ago. It isn't released until this next Tuesday, though.

It's been out for a few days so I don't know if it counts, but Marilyn Manson's new album came out earlier this week and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it is. Half-return to his earlier industrial sound, half-refinement of his metal sound, 100% fantastic production, very clean and tight. "Breaking The Same Old Ground" is definitely the stand-out track and one of the best album closers I've ever heard.

And uh christina aguilera might be releasing something this year. Don't judge me.

I hate her old stuff, but I love a lot of the tracks on Bionic. Depending on what direction she takes I might like this next album.

tumblr_m4gi1bbxcG1rtih03o1_500.png

Back
Top Bottom