• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Most Overrated & Underrated films ever.

Re: Most Overrated film you've ever seen.

The Simpsons Movie.

:| Luckily I got it on DVD as a gift instead of having to pay money for it.

Bender's Game turned out to be a nerdy Dungeons & Dragons parody.
Futurama-BendersGameSmall.jpg

the dark knight was a slight disappointment.

but the winner for me is anything judd apatow has ever touched. knocked up was not funny.

Epic Movie, Twilight, High School Musical (It's not that it was that bad, it was just... REALLY overdone as far as hyping goes...)

Underrated: Eagle Eye. It was hardly even noticed at cinemas.

I know people already said it, but Twilight. That's all I have to say. Twilight. I was forced to watch it and it sucked ass. Horrible special effects, and the two main characters were horrible actors too.

Ooh, thread title change!

Most underrated? Well, there are a ton of gay and lesbian movies that are very, very good, but don't reach a large audience because they only show at LGBT film festivals and then have a very limited DVD release. I bet your average person on the street couldn't name a film that centres around a gay couple outside of Brokeback Mountain.

And I'm sure there are loads of others, I just can't think of them right now. Silly brain.

most of those famous john hughes movies from the 80s - the breakfast club, sixteen candles, etc etc - are pretty overrated, too. but something about them is so alluring that they end up being very entertaining anyway.

as far as underrated goes, i am surprised hard candy isn't more well-known now that juno was a big hit. ellen page was much more convincing when she wasn't a wordy, oozing-with-hip teenage girl. (i liked juno, but i can understand why people have so many gripes with it. i found it hard to believe in the beginning myself.)

Oh, Hard Candy is absolutely awesome. I agree that it should have been publicized a lot more.
The whole castration scene had me shivering, as had the whole cat-and-mouse game near the end. The actual ending is very intense too.

I have a kind of... odd opinion of Napoleon Dynamite. I don't think I found any part of it funny in the slightest, but I liked it anyway because it managed to be surprising at the same time as it had a typical happy ending. Essentially the entire first half of the movie made you honestly find the main characters to be complete losers so that in the end when everything works out absolutely perfectly for them, you're actually just as dumbfounded as all those kids at Napoleon's school. Or something.

The Godfather... I thought it kind of dragged and was not at all as godly overall as people tend to rank it, but there were scenes in it that I thought were really well done and I know what they see in it, so I would hesitate to say I find it overrated, per se.

I liked Juno and The Dark Knight; they weren't perfect, but I never expect a movie to be.

I... think the one most praised film I've really not seen anything in was Brokeback Mountain, to be honest. :/ I couldn't buy the beginning of their relationship and in the end I sympathized a whole lot more with Ennis's wife than with him. And Jack's death felt... random. I might appreciate it more if I saw it again, I guess.

Oh, and I still think that Monty Python's Life of Brian is so much better than Monty Python and the Holy Grail. D: I mean, they're both hilarious, but among the two of them, I find Life of Brian very underrated and Holy Grail overrated.

Underrated? Probably Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, because lots of people don't know about it and it's probably one of Jim Carrey's best performances (for a comedian he sure does serious pretty well, although 23 was so bad it was funny).

I... think the one most praised film I've really not seen anything in was Brokeback Mountain, to be honest. :/ I couldn't buy the beginning of their relationship and in the end I sympathized a whole lot more with Ennis's wife than with him. And Jack's death felt... random. I might appreciate it more if I saw it again, I guess.

Oh, and I still think that Monty Python's Life of Brian is so much better than Monty Python and the Holy Grail. D: I mean, they're both hilarious, but among the two of them, I find Life of Brian very underrated and Holy Grail overrated.

Agree completely that Life of Brian is better than The Holy Grail. I like them both, but I think Brian's much funnier and cleverer.

Personally, I think I'd have bought the Jack/Ennis relationship more if they'd shown more emotion and less sex. I haven't seen it in a while, mind, but I remember thinking that at the time.

I really want to watch Juno now, but I have a slight irrational fear/disgust of pregnant people ._.

airplane! and the naked gun series kick ass.

Seconding Airplane! and the Naked Gun series, and also Monty Python and the Holy Grail (actually pretty much anything by Monty Python) and Shaun of the Dead (and I haven't seen Hot Fuzz, but it seems to fit this).

I shall rephrase. All parody movies that are have the title "*insertgenrehere* Movie". Becuase Naked Gun and Hot Fuzz are teh l33t epic winz0r.

Oh, definitely. Life of Brian is easily their best.

Life of Brian is definitely better than Holy Grail. Also seconding Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

As far as overrated goes, I'd say Anchorman, both critically and popularly.

Back
Top Bottom