• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2008

Are you taking part this year?

• Total voters
Word's/NaNo's current count of my document: ~22543
Translatorsbase count: ~23383

Off by about a thousand. They vary by that much. *shrug*

Word's/NaNo's current count of my document: ~22543
Translatorsbase count: ~23383

Off by about a thousand. They vary by that much. *shrug*

... somebody on Wands and Worlds said that last year her counts differed by seven words. I assumed that counters would differ by a narrow margin like this. *shrugs back*

In any case, I'm grateful that the fudge is in my favor. :P

It only took staying up till midnight, but I'm finally all caught up again (barely). Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go collapse from a lack of brain juices.

I did good today. :P I ended up writing about 250 more words than today's goal called for, but that's because I'm getting to my absolute favorite part of the story. <3

Okay, this is embarrassing. All day at school I'm thinking "I will spend all of tonight writing", but when I get home I am insta-distracted and start asking myself whether I should just give up and spend more time with these various distractions that sound far more interesting.

Anyway, I guess I should be strong and get going some more. Catching up with ... would be nice start - a moving target. :P

argharghargh

...I feel so self-absorbed by saying this, but I'm behind about 2k and that's really troubling for me << At this rate... over 20k words in 10 days... I'll have to write 2k a day to catch up. ;_; And not only that, but my characters are randomly lashing out at each other and getting all OOC. I mean, Sophie (my MC) is expected to change and all, but Claire was so overconfident and sassy and now she's just like "i cant sing i suck and we shouldn't form a band because the vampires will get us" and then Sophie gets really pissed at her for no aparent reason and I just want to slap them and rewrite that part.

But I can't, because I don't have the time.

Uh, I guess I'll save for NaNoEditMo *steamrollers over it*

^hissss

I hate having zero attention span. >|

At least I finally broke halfway. And I swear to god I am going to catch up by the end of this weekend. If I don't... uh... if I don't... my own self-imposed rewards/punishments aren't working. Threaten me, you guys D:

^hissss

I hate having zero attention span. >|

At least I finally broke halfway. And I swear to god I am going to catch up by the end of this weekend. If I don't... uh... if I don't... my own self-imposed rewards/punishments aren't working. Threaten me, you guys D:
WRITE, OR I WILL GOUGE OUT YOUR KIDNEYS WITH A RUSTY SPOON. SLOWLY. WHILE SINGING.

:D?

Write or Don Quixote's going to get a lot more "friendly" with other people's pokémon in subsequent reffings.

Got back on the wagon yesterday, as all my crazy assignments had been turned in. 'Twas harder than anticipated, especially considering I was writing a scene of fiery death, so I only did about 2,000 words. Nevertheless, I should finish by the end of Thanksgiving break, and then I can write the now four one-shots that want my attention and get back to serious ASB stuff.

I think I just hyperventilated for the first time in my life. I really do.

I went to my folder to pull up my NaNo, and... well... it wasn't there. So I started looking around, called my mom over, and we used the Mac's "Finder" to search "NaNoWriMo" (for that what the name of the document) and nothing came up.

So I began to what I think was close to hyperventilation. We looked around, then I went back to Finder and searched "Cloudsky", a made-up city name from my story, and there were four results - a version of my NaNo that I'd accidentally saved under a name I meant to give something else on Nov. 11. The word count of that read ~18000.

So... I started crying. Really hard and uncontrollably. Then my mom decided to look at one of the other things that had come up - which I had passed over because it was hers - and looked at it, and it was my NaNo.

If it had been deleted I think I would have passed out.

Cryssie: That's not a threat, that's you being silly. :/ I need a threat, like... humiliation or something, I don't know. You're sadistic, surely you can think of something good!

Negrek: ...as long as you make it so that it isn't entertaining, then yes, I suppose that's a start.

Leafpool: See, that's the kind of thing that teaches you to make backups religiously. First of all, if your word processor has an option for creating automatic backups, turn it on. I know Word and OpenOffice do, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're using so I'm not sure what options you have available. And second (and more importantly), make other backups of it on your own. I use my Google Docs account for that, creating a new file with a clear name for each day's progress (so I have "At Liberty Backup 112008" for yesterday, "At Liberty Backup 112108" for today, etc.). You can also just email the entire thing to yourself at the end of the day, or figure something else out; just as long as you have a backup that isn't saved on your own computer as well as backups on your computer. Trust me, you won't regret it. Though I'm sure you've already figured that out by now. Glad you were able to find it.

Now if you will excuse me I need to go register for classes and then write like hell.

First of all, if your word processor has an option for creating automatic backups, turn it on.

Yeah, I'm living proof of this statement. My laptop is a piece of shit; it always decides to crash when I'm in the middle of something important, like it did just a few minutes ago. I'm backing up NAO.

In lighter news, my writing is going pretty well now, and with Thanksgiving and a week of no homework coming up, I might be even be able to finish before the thirtieth.

finally broke 30,000 yesss

Okay, so. I figured out that, in order to be caught up by Sunday, I need to write about 4930 words a day. I did the math, and I can write approximately 2000 words an hour, which means my catch-up goal is working for 2 1/2 hours a day. Not as horrific as I first thought it would be. Actually, I think that this knowledge is really helping me. I guess knowing that "okay, Kratos, you can manage 2000 words an hour, 5000 a day should only take 2 1/2 hours and that really isn't that bad" and having concrete number and time goals to work for is keeping me relatively focused. Yay?

(Incidentally, that math also means that I could theoretically finish an entire NaNovel in 25 hours if I sat straight through it and my fingers didn't fall off. I would totally try that if, you know, I weren't afraid that my fingers would fall off.)

Anyway, I was able to type ~5400 words just today, so I'm happy. I could catch up by tomorrow if I write almost 6000 words, but given how much my hands hurt right now I really don't mind saving that extra ~1000 for Sunday. The cool part was that the 5400 consisted almost entirely of one whole scene. The entire conversation is more of a setting piece than anything necessary for any part of the real plots, and in the edited version will probably be glossed over in a paragraph, but it was fun to write and hey, I might find a use for it. It actually kind of sparked ideas for a sequelthing.

I have also learned that introducing characters that swear like angry drunken Scottish sailors with Tourette's is great for wordcount++.

Today really sucked for me for various reasons, but at least things are finally starting to look up on the NaNo front. :)

Keep going, everyone! If I can almost sort of do it, you can, too!

EDIT: By the way, for you NaNoers using Firefox--have you seen this? It's an unobtrusive little addon that keeps your projected final wordcount visible at the bottom corner of the browser. You just click on it and type your current count into the box. I'm not sure exactly how it predicts what you'll end with, as when I tried my wordcount + 1667 per remaining day I got a higher number than it was showing, but I suppose if it's projecting low numbers it's more likely to spur you into action, hm? Anyway, if you're on track it displays in green text, if you're way behind it's in red, and I just found that if you're not horrifically-horrifically behind it's in brown. (Ha! Be gone, red text, I'm not phailing that hard anymore!) It also steadily ticks downward (I'm not sure how often) to let you know that you should be writing right now... I dunno, it's simple but I think it's pretty cool. It's enough to poke me away from the internets from time to time, at any rate.

Last edited:
Cryssie: That's not a threat, that's you being silly. :/
You think I'm joking? ... Yeah, okay, fine.. ;;

I need a threat, like... humiliation or something, I don't know. You're sadistic, surely you can think of something good!
I only wish I could live up to that heartening statement of confidence in my cruelty. :( But I shall think, and should you fail, the sinister fruits of said thought may materialise to haunt you come December.

... Damn, that just made me picture a ghostly pineapple going "oooooooo". Way to ruin the mood, brain. :(

Re: the Firefox addon, I do have it and it taunts me with "Enter your word count now!" whenever I look in the corner to check the time. I daren't actually enter it. Then again, I accepted some time ago that life just wasn't going to let me do it this year. But it does still make me feel guilty about having slacked off with the motivational guest speakers. Erm.

I just went and wrote another day's worth of writing today.

No, I don't know why I did that. I think it was to avoid writing-hassle on Tuesday where my Tuesday will be nearly physically not free. Maybe I just felt like it. I don't know.

Either way, I have ~38000 :D

First of all, if your word processor has an option for creating automatic backups, turn it on.
Ooh, how do I do this? I have MS Word 97. Wow, that thing is over 10 years old... does anyone know of a good, free program that's compatible with MS Word?

Ohh, crap. I am 20,000 words behind. >_< That's not good. I don't think I'm going to make it for NaNo, but I'm not going to give up. I've worked too hard on this story now. I am past the point of giving up on it. More work and more effort has been put toward this one story than anything I have ever written in the history of my life. There is no force on earth or heaven that could make me abandon this story now. </dramatic speech> I should've spent that muse on my story. xD;

Back
Top Bottom