• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2009

I'm only 1000 words behind now, at 44000. I've written ~4000 by now and I'm feeling pretty damn good! I'm sure I'll manage to get fully caught up by tomorrow! And I might just get ahead tomorrow too! The end is in sight! I know I can do it now!

Obligatory excerpt:

There’s the door. Azrael opens it and we walk through. It’s far cooler tonight. The moon is almost full and high. I expect that it will be full by tomorrow, which is better because it means I’ll go Berserk easier. The stars are plenty and beautiful and it smells like fresh-mowed grass. No windows on the walls so no one can see us. Only that door.

The first thing I do is I start walking around to get my legs used to much movement again. I guess it’s best I do it now, else our plan might fail. Riza follows, and I glance backward.

“I want to be able to run as fast as I can if needed.” she explains. I nod.

I get tired of pacing after a bit, then just take to sitting down in my spot like I did the last time. I look up at the sky. “I wonder if when they get here we could just fly away through here…?”

“There’s a force field.” Azrael mutters, “No getting in or out of there.”

“I’ll let them know that then.” Yawning, I lay back on the grass and stare up at the stars. I didn’t think I’d get a chance to do this while I was still in here, but here I am. I take a moment to silently thank Paige and Leisha for having been there while they were. I remember what Rhythm told me after the former died, and even just thinking that she might be watching over me makes me feel far more confident.

I can do this. I can get out of here. We'll all get out of here.

I hope no one's gonna shoot me for double-posting but

nano09winner120x240.png

Say hello to your third winner <3

I had two really, really good writing days and managed to get myself up 11k and win it~ <3

Congratulations, Phoenixsong! NaNo victories are always inspiring. ;D

I'm at 46,000 words thanks to a monster writing spree I had today. Whoo! I'm hoping to maybe finish by tonight, but if not, I've got tomorrow!

Good luck to everyone here!

Claps for winners.

Fo' serious. Congratulations. :D

I've been concerned this whole time that my plot wouldn't stretch to 50K, but now I'm ~2500 from the goal and the whole thing's running on wildly. Woo? With any luck I'll have hit 50K by the end of today; then it might take another 10K to get to the end.

(no excerpt because... because)

congrats everyone who won! high fives all around!

i'm just about to write my climax, i should be finished with my novel before 10 o clock today. i think i'm going to aim for 75K just because it's a cool number to be at - if my plot doesn't take me all the way there i'll probably just make a superlong and retarded dedication to make up for it. then again, maybe not.

I had to speed up the end of my story because I kind of lost sight of what I was going to do previously.
I forgot to add in the yeti.

But... winner?

I won on the 15th. :3
Somehow, my novel is about white wolves with red markings and the word Celestial. Well, so is Okami. o_O

Aaaaand I made it. <3

About ~10K to the end of the story, probably, but hell I DID IT. And a day earlier than the frantic catch up 30th I did before. :D

Yaaaaaay~

done.

335,228 characters (no spaces), 73,530 words, 1497 paragraphs, 249 pages, 13 chapters + epilogue, 30 29 days, 1 novel.

in december, i think i'll start work on another idea i came up with while writing this novel. it'll be a much larger project, i think. in january, i'll begin attempting to edit this novel, and depending on how the editing process goes, i'll either post it somewhere or just let it sit contently on my hard drive.

but for now:

Party-Time.gif

oh, by the way, if anyone wants to read and critique my novel, helping out with the editing process (or read it just for fun, although i don't know why you would want to do that), you totally can. i'll read and critique your novel if you read and critique mine! just hit me up with a pm. my novel is about a snake who goes on a really surreal adventure, just to give you a bit of an idea.

GUYS. I FINISHED. YEAH.

*dances* Alright, that was just... I'm amazed at my own willpower. I went through fever and sickness and tension headaches and I did it. <3

Well, I didn't even come close to winning. But, I didn't expect myself to win anyways, aaaannnddd....

I MADE IT TO 10,000 WORDS THAT'S MORE THAN LAST YEAR YAY!!!!

I still finish it though, and edit it and stuff, and start formulating my plot for next year. Hopefully next year I have more time.

BUT STILL 10,000 words I'm very happy.

It's not that hard to write ~1667 words a day, really. xP it only takes me 45 minutes if I'm not distracted by something. Twice this month I finished daily writing while at Computer Applications at school, and once I finished the writing before going to band practice (I had intended to start writing the daily writing just to get a head start for when I got back from practice and ended up finishing). The same thing happened on Thanksgiving before the parade we marched in but I woke up early specifically for that purpose so it doesn't really count.

I did it!

If it weren't for NaNo's weird counter that adds 200 words to my count (I have 50,001 words on NaNo, 49,851 on Word) I would have had to make a 200-word afterword or something because I juiced my novel's ending for all that it was worth.

This is the first time that I finished NaNo before the 30th. I always finished it in some crazy rush to get 50,000 before 12:00.

Also, I have the little winner's badges from every year (except 08, for some reason, even though I'm sure I won that o.o. I guess I didn't save it). I've done NaNo 4 years in a row. Twice I've produced finished fiction (06 was fanfiction, 09 is just fiction) and twice I've got half-works (07 had that ice cube story, and 08 had that computer romance which I must finish sometime). Put that in your pipe and smoke it, anti-NaNo people! 8D

The best part is that this was also an assignment for school which I finished early (it was supposed to be done by Janurary 8) ). Fuck yeah, bragging rights~

... who the hell is anti-NaNo to begin with? o.O

Plenty of people.

Examples:
http://101reasonstostopwriting.com/...crease-in-unpublishable-submissions/#comments
http://blog.blogfiction.org/2008/10/nanowrimo-sucks.html

There were even more, but I've lost all the links. :/ Anti-NaNo people are little difficult to find, but very rabid in their criticism of NaNo.

They usually say something like this:
-If you don't feel the itch to write then you can't write at all!
-NaNo encourages people to write crap.
-50k is too short for a real novel.

And so on.

Well, I guess I'm officially not going to make it.

Stopped just short of 37,000 and lost interest in doing any more writing... haven't gotten anything written over the weekend, even though I had no school all week so there wasn't anything else taking up any time.

It'd be completely impossible for me to make it from 36,800-something to 50,000 in one day. I might eventually finish writing this thing (though it'll probably take months), but there's just no way I'll be able to get 50,000 words done before November is over.

Plenty of people.

Examples:
http://101reasonstostopwriting.com/...crease-in-unpublishable-submissions/#comments
http://blog.blogfiction.org/2008/10/nanowrimo-sucks.html

There were even more, but I've lost all the links. :/ Anti-NaNo people are little difficult to find, but very rabid in their criticism of NaNo.

They usually say something like this:
-If you don't feel the itch to write then you can't write at all!
-NaNo encourages people to write crap.
-50k is too short for a real novel.

And so on.

... wow. I... that's just... wow. I am saddened deeply D:

Also El Garbanzo: You'd be surprised what you can write in dire straits! Admittedly I've never had to make up more than one day's worth of writing, but hey, if other TCoDers can do like 10,000 words a day YOU CAN DO 14,000.

GO FOR IT~!

if other TCoDers can do like 10,000 words a day YOU CAN DO 14,000.

GO FOR IT~!

I remember than in 2006, Snow Charizard wrote around 14,000 words one day and finished her novel in the middle on November. I was insanely jealous.

I wrote around 10,000 words on one November 30th, eventually just having lots of filler words. You can write 10,000 words, even if you don't care about your novel anymore.

And if not, ~37,000 is still a lot of work. Anyone that competed in this ought to be happy with their work.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with either of those two blog posts. Writing 50k words isn't hard. Writing 50k words of vaguely decent writing with a cohesive plot, characters, and setting is rather more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom