• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2010

Man, I didn't get to write today's wordcount because I went to see Jackass 3D instead so now, even though I have a wordcount of over 4000, it still shows up as a failed day! ARGH

Yes, they know, and so the stuff I do have to do - like walking the dog - is very much minimized, for which I am very grateful. And right now my parents are very understanding, but I fear that 28 more days will wear that patience a bit thin when I'm still being a grump and twitchy about moving a metre from my computer.

...But I'm doooone for today and people are going to die tomorrow, yeah~ Angst time~

Hiikaru, you made me smile and are awesome for being so encouraging. I should pester you for pep talks. x3

How big is your hand-writing? How much do you think seven pages will be when you finish? If 600 is a page and a half then I'm getting ~400 words a page. Sound about right? (I'm always curious when people are writing in notebooks!)

That sounds about right. My handwriting is bigger towards the beginning of the notebook though, so there might be a little more in there than I think. But anyway, you just wait, NaNo site, once Friday comes around (no school, so a whole day to write!) my word count will SHOOT THROUGH THE CEILING.

Also I am having an unofficial competition with my friend to see who can finish first. Her story is about a world with monsters (vampires, etc.) and they're discriminated against, and it's really awesome but I don't really know enough about the plot to post it.

Oh, also Geometry. Geometry quizzes plus tech quizzes would be good.

Zero words for today so far but it is because I am attempting to work on homework! Also ice cream.

Yes, they know, and so the stuff I do have to do - like walking the dog - is very much minimized, for which I am very grateful. And right now my parents are very understanding, but I fear that 28 more days will wear that patience a bit thin when I'm still being a grump and twitchy about moving a metre from my computer.

...But I'm doooone for today and people are going to die tomorrow, yeah~ Angst time~

That's great! You have nice parents. It might get stressful later on, but you know, it's also way easier to churn out words once you really get going on this. The first few days are the hardest. (not that I've actually done NaNoWriMo before, but! 100k in around eighty days is close enough!)

Try to keep up your spirits - you're doing great already! And think about it this way: your chores give you a bit of time to relax and think about the next step in your novel. Maybe you could bring a notebook on the walks just in case?

Stormecho said:
Hiikaru, you made me smile and are awesome for being so encouraging. I should pester you for pep talks. x3

:DDDD

Feel free! I'm obviously super busy but if you're feeling down during the month I can make some minutes to respond.

"Whether you think you can, or you can't, you are right."

That sounds about right. My handwriting is bigger towards the beginning of the notebook though, so there might be a little more in there than I think. But anyway, you just wait, NaNo site, once Friday comes around (no school, so a whole day to write!) my word count will SHOOT THROUGH THE CEILING.

Also I am having an unofficial competition with my friend to see who can finish first. Her story is about a world with monsters (vampires, etc.) and they're discriminated against, and it's really awesome but I don't really know enough about the plot to post it.

That's not too bad for words per page. I think I get somewhere around there in the notebook I use for my other story. Although, my hand-writing is starting to get a bit illegible as it shrinks smaller and smaller...

Competitions are always fun. Getting ahead of someone even for a little bit is a great boost to confidence, and it's hard to feel too bad about yourself when you're cheering someone on!

Props to you for attempting this with a notebook! Typing up everything is really tough.

Do you type your story (or are you going to) in all lowercase, or in actually correct casing?

I type it all in lowercase and have as fairly-intelligent program go through it and uppercase it, of course! ...no, actually, things meant for presentation actually get standard capitalization. my author's notes were mostly lowercased last year, though, so.

Last edited:
Hey, ditching on capitalization would be a good plan to speed up. No messing with that stupid shift key haha. Except it's pretty much natural now, and I don't think that it would actually be possible for me to NOT capitalize things. So odd.

I dislike how on the NaNo site, instead of just saying that by the end of day two you have to have 3334 words, it wants you to type 1667 words a day, so even when you get to your daily goal, you still have to write 112 more. Ah well, I got more written, it shouldn't matter to me.

I use the Caps Lock button for capitals. :B Even MORE time-consuming, probably.

There was one woman who easily crushed the Pokemon League once. She was a young woman, no older than 18, but she was often mistaken for a very handsome man. This was always interpreted as a compliment to her, and, as she said once in an interview, “I’d rather look like a handsome man than an ugly man.” When she arrived in Snowpoint City of the Sinnoh region, however, a group of Jynx noticed her boyishly good looks, and kidnapped her. She has never been heard from again.
LOLZ

ummmmmmm so I'm at 4376 having BARELY made the daily goal for today. which of course means I did half as much as I should have. SHOULD BE AT 6667, fellas, but I kind of suck. might get a bit of a chance to catch up later tomorrow because of scheduling issues that are boring and I don't feel like going into.

also um I think my story just turned into pokemon fan fiction halfway through. okay what the hell? didn't even know that was possible. but there you go.

(BAD) excerpt:
I was now a sixteen year old, on a stump in the middle of the forest, staring up into the sun, listening to the sound of the birds and the motor way behind me, brushing an idle strand of hair out of my eyes, and not thinking any thoughts at all.

Here it was calm, here it was serene.

Maybe I can find an old pokeball, I thought to myself, kicking at the leaves below my feet, but it wasn't really worth getting up for.

Do you know the feeling? I kind of wanted to get up, but I kind of didn't want to. I felt altogether heavy, in a way that is difficult for one to explain.

Don't think it really mattered at that point, anyway. I kind of didn't feel like doing much at all. Class was about to start again soon, but I didn't have a clock or a phone on me, so it was difficult to tell. I thought about not going, just blowing it off, but that might have been more trouble than it would be worth.

My eyes darted around on the ground looking for a pokeball. I remembered days when Oscar and I would sit out here with our pokemon, just letting the impish little creatures run around in circles, fight their little mock skirmishes, eat the low-hanging berries off of the trees, and work through their seemingly endless reserve of excess energy before we zapped them back into their little spheres. Oh, how I wished I knew where my trainer ID was, but it was long gone now, presumably lying around on the middle of a swamp bed somewhere, covered by grass and dewdrops, or else tucked in between ancient books on a shelf in a library in a castle ten million miles away, or otherwise, or maybe floating somewhere in the void of space, lightyears away from any other man-made objects.

Those of you who are constantly tempted by that shiny browser window tantalizingly minimized on your dock/taskbar/panel/etc.: try one of these. WriteMonkey in particular is pretty cool if you're running Windows since it doesn't need to be installed, in case you're paranoid about that sort of thing or whatever. Also it's a nice one in general. But try a few and see if you like!

I'm about to go dive into another one called FocusWriter myself (new favorite for Linux; so long, PyRoom, it's been surreal) and attempt to finish up that 1667+, since, as Diz said, the site is mocking me about it even though I more or less met today's goal yesterday. I really ought to be using this time to get homework or something done, but I ain't gonna have no stupid website mockin' me.

(psst try turning on typewriter sounds if the one you use has them. They're fun!)

I actually started NaNo-ing on a program like that called Dark Room, however a new update for it for some reason caused it to not work and call up an error when I tried to use it.

Edit: Broke out the old typewriter just now. My sister (whose room is next to mine) complained of the noise.

So I just stuck with my laptop. And since I finished my required words for today already, I'm saving what I'm writing now to update for tomorrow because I can totally cheat the system like that. :P Also, that way I don't have to write as much tomorrow, since it's going to be a super busy school day.

Last edited:
Well I now have 3,152 words and I just now finished with Chapter 1. I don't think I've ever written this much in one and a quarter days. :]

Also, suffering from writer's block in the middle of a chapter is very aggravating. :/

Done with Chapter 1, in which Pugh avoids creepy fangirls at his job and during a trip to the grocery store. I'm up to 3463 words right now.

According to my computer's clock (which for some reason went off of DST a week or so early) I even got it done in time for Tuesday's target wordcount!... though, unfortunately, the NaNoWriMo site doesn't agree with my computer's clock.

Chapter 2 is basically just one big fight scene between Pugh and a variety of incompetent vampire hunters. I've always liked writing fight scenes, so I should definitely be able to reach (or even pass!) 5000 tomorrow.

Your avatar made me read this entire post in a beatnik voice.
Ha ha, everyone says that.

There was one woman who easily crushed the Pokemon League once. She was a young woman, no older than 18, but she was often mistaken for a very handsome man. This was always interpreted as a compliment to her, and, as she said once in an interview, “I’d rather look like a handsome man than an ugly man.” When she arrived in Snowpoint City of the Sinnoh region, however, a group of Jynx noticed her boyishly good looks, and kidnapped her. She has never been heard from again.

Blaziking, that is... brilliant. Your story seems just awesome already only from that little excerpt. I love that quote, it made me laugh so hard. XD If anyone ever mistakes me for a man, I will be sure to say that.

And in other news... I just got 7696 words. Dayum, it just... I just kept writing and didn't even notice the word count going up anymore. Finished my fourth segment, which was really long... and revealed a lot of odd plot elements, ahaha. I'm not showing you guys any excerpts, still too... self-conscious about it.

Some things I've been doing, in case it somehow helps anyone, is planning the chapter right before I right it. Not having a big masterplan laid out for the story or anything, just... planning only ONE chapter, writing a brief summary about it, before I actually write it. It works astonishingly well and allows me to mostly keep coherency. (Well, most of my story is incoherent and strange, but still!) I've also not let myself leave the chair until I finish at least one segment. Writing by chapter/segment actually makes it easier. I just take breaks after I finish chapters, I don't like stopping in the middle of them.

Then after I'm done with that chapter, I go back and re-read it, check for mistakes, and correct a few inconsistencies. Somehow, this actually racks up my word count since I tend to ADD words when I go back rather than get rid of them... (I actually added 200 words from that.) so this might not work for anyone else, especially people who are perfectionists.

But yeah. I think I might write more... I feel like I could be up to one more segment. Or I might take a break. I'm feeling sort of tired actually... so maybe stopping for the day and checking my chapter for mistakes would be good.

Over 2000 words!! I AM SO PROUD YOU GUYS this is my new record. out of five years on nanowrimo in a row.

It is amazing crossover fanfiction.

My favourite segment so far is:

Tsuna would like to be surprised when someone rises out of the seas on a giant flying shark.

He would like to.

It would be great if he was surprised.

And then there is epic scyther vs wingull battling, and also a minor case of the gay, and I don't actually know what happens next but I have this feeling that no matter where it ends up going, I am going to have to eventually write a love story between an angry loud sharpedo and a luvdisc.

Or possibly they will kill each other.

Given that this is KHR fanfic, I am pretty sure fighting to the death is synonymous with true love.

ALSO: It would mean he was an EVEN BETTER fighter than SAME, and Squalo loved SAME like he loved meat. Even better than he loved meat; Squalo only fought meat on Thursdays. what the fuck am I writing

Last edited:
Seeing how well everyone is doing this year makes me :D :D

~4700 now, back to writing bits and pieces entirely out of order because writing sequentially what is writing sequentially I am not good with computer. I don't know that I'll be able to do too much over the next few days because big projects + jury duty (oh god I hope I can get out of that/it doesn't take too many days D:), but I'm going to try to at least meet the daily minimum if I can. Today's writing was actually not as horrible as yesterday! I mean, it's still bad, but it's not irreparably terribad or anything! See, see?

"Hold on just a second," Francine said, stepping back to take a look at Buizel as he continued to rage at Virgil for his apparent stupidity and incompetence. The well-worn middle digit flew up, as was customary; before Buizel could start waving it around again, however, Francine reached down, grabbed him by the offending arm and held it up close to her face. "Let me see... I think..." Buizel struggled and tried to pull himself free of the girl's grip, but to no avail--Francine kept him reined in with one hand and pulled at his fingers with the other, pushing down the bird and pulling up the two around it instead. Buizel hissed, put down the two fingers she had raised and pointed the middle one at her as soon as she released him, but she was quick to grab him and put his hand back the way she liked it. Satisfied, she let go, stood up and looked down, the better to observe her handiwork. "There! See! /Devil horns/. I knew you'd look good in devil horns, Buizel."

"...Devil horns?" asked Virgil, glaring at Francine. "What are 'devil horns'? Are you teaching it a brand new offensive hand gesture to go with the first one? Looking to give it some variety when it insults me?"

"/He/, Virgil," snapped Francine. She sounded irritated again. "When /he/ insults you. Your buizel is male. Maybe he would have a little more respect for you if you'd stop being rude and use the correct pronoun. You wouldn't like it if I went around calling you an 'it', now would you?"

Virgil thought about it for a moment before replying. "Well, technically," he said at length, "I think 'it' would actually be the correct pronoun to use when referring to me. In my usual form I don't actually have a sex, after all. So no, if you started calling me an 'it', I highly doubt that I would mind all that much."

Francine looked mildly annoyed for a moment, but then she gave an exasperated sigh and waved Virgil off. "Whatever," she huffed. "But call Buizel 'he'. And no, devil horns aren't an insult or a rude hand gesture like giving someone the bird. Devil horns means you're metal. And your buizel, Virgil, is very metal."
The whole Francine + rock/metal thing got way out of hand back in the planning stages and it's only going to get worse here. I keep telling myself that I shouldn't even bother including the part where she rattles off the names of all the bands she likes (I came up with like 100 different names just because it was awesome and hilarious--I seriously want to know what "Naked Jynx" and "Dokokashira Door" and "Blame Arceus" sound like, and which one of them wrote the song "Fuck Yeah Seaking"), but it is totally the perfect waffle for NaNo so yay. Also, Virgil's buizel X middle finger = OTP. Buizel is the best starter ever.

And a few paragraphs later, after Francine gives buizel some METAL to listen to and starts singing the lyrics while he headbangs:

"Aaand I think that's enough of that, thank you," said Virgil, grabbing Francine's arm and pulling her away from the [thrashing] buizel. "Take those headphones off of him. The last thing I need him doing is learning to like music that's about stabbing people in the chest with knives. He's [psychotic] enough as it is, thanks."

Francine sighed and stood up again, shaking her head and half smiling ironically. "Oh, please, Virgil, you sound just like my mother," she snorted. "They're just lyrics in a song, come on. No one actually /stabs/ anyone. It's just music."

"'Just music' that's going to start putting ideas in his twisted, violent little head," Virgil muttered.

"No one knifes anyone!" Francine insisted, becoming exasperated now. "Not a single member of Jacred has ever taken a knife to anyone else... well, okay, maybe the old lead singer /did/ try to stab someone once a few years ago, and maybe the other guy /did/ turn around and murder him, but they have a new lead singer now and that was before they wrote this song anyway! No one in the band has attacked anyone since! I think!"

"You think."

"It doesn't matter, for [god's] sake!" snapped Francine. "Buizel is more than smart enough not to take the lyrics to heart or anything."

"...Do you /know/ this buizel?" Virgil asked.

I see everyone posting excerpts and I'm just like "D:" because my entire thing is mostly dialogue at this point and my main character freaking out because he got tortured and then treated to a nice lunch. ; ; STILL, I AM AHEAD OF THE CURVE by sixteen words oh god I have coursework to do today aaaaaa

Back
Top Bottom