• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Need Character Ideas/Plot Twists

Erindor the Espeon

How do you do? Pleased to meet you. I'm Erindor.
So I've been planning this out slowly for about 1 1/2 years. It's a medieval story, with swords, dragons, etc. Here's what I have:

1) Erindor (Who else?) A human/dragon hybrid, will have wings and possibly firebreath, any other unique things I can come up with. Swordsman, great melee combat fighter. May not be main character.

2) Lydia. Will be main character if Erindor is not. A 'wizardess' as she likes to say, as she thinks saying with is sexist. Has a pet familiar, Talot, a raven with speech and intelligence. Lydia has a staff, which channels her magical energy. She will have total control over an element, need suggestions.

3) Aether. An elven archer, amazing shot, a bit over ambitious. Will later betray the group and become evil, second-hand man of the main bad dude. Long bow/Knife combo.

4) Flarenth. A cute little creature I made up, belongs to Erindor. It's called an Emblet, which is a little fuzzy thing in the shape of a 'drop' of fire, combusts when frightened, and has the ability to infuse itself with a sword, giving it burning powers.

5) *Unnamed* A Werewolf, the one the group suspects to be evil, and they get quite surprised when Aether betrays them. When he does, however, this cements their relationship with *Unnamed*. He has the ability to control transformation, but he is the most powerful during a full moon. Great agility, as well as strength.

6) Kulttripse. The leader of the Oxiriths*. Very powerful, has a thirst for blood. A cold hearted killer, probably will be killed by the end of the first book so Aether can take over.
*Oxiriths are evil, nondescript cloaked figures. Have sharp claws and are good at killing.

7) Dark Lord. The ruler of the realm, evil, and ultimately the last bad guy they take out, in last book. Haven’t really come up with anything for him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I need:

1) A name for the Werewolf
2) Lydia’s element
3) More background on the Dark Lord
4) A new name for the Oxiriths
5) Plot Twists

If you have any thoughts or comments, please tell me!

I don't think names are as important for a first draft, and I'd like to think of plot twists if I could see a summary of the plot itself.

As for Lydia's element, I think it should depend on her personality, as in what she would want to control. I don't have enough information to help on that, though. Or anyone's personality for that matter.

Last edited:
One thing I'd be careful of is that your main characters (Lydia and Erindor) don't seem to have any flaws, at least not that you've listed. It sounds like you're giving them a lot of powers and you're trying to give them original powers. Original powers are good, but they're still powers; if your characters have all this power and no flaws that hamper their skills at all, then your characters will seem unreal to the readers. You want your characters (especially your main character) to seem human, make mistakes, and have problems. =3

1) Erindor (Who else?) A human/dragon hybrid, will have wings and possibly firebreath, any other unique things I can come up with. Swordsman, great melee combat fighter. May not be main character.

:V

I've always wanted to write a novel series where the main hero fights a ton of stuff and gets crazy laid till the final novel, where he's going to fight the last bad guy. He pulls out his sword, walks a couple of steps towards the guy's lair, trips on a rock, bangs his head and falls into a coma/becomes a vegetable. the rest of the novel is his family deciding whether to pull the plug.

You should do this.

Last edited:
To elaborate on opaltiger's beef with this statement, yes, naming a character after yourself is generally considered to be one of the primary indicators that the character is likely to be a Mary-Sue or Gary-Stu. Theoretically, you could have named yourself after the character, what with you having apparently come up with this a year and a half ago, but the point stands: why would you really name yourself after a character you've created unless you honestly consider that character to be in some way representative of yourself? Characters representing yourself are very dangerous territory. They're always at risk of becoming wish-fulfillment.

Now, I also have a kind of an issue with the "human/dragon hybrid" part. How, precisely, did this happen? Half-elves or half-orcs work because humans, elves and orcs are all approximately the same shape and could be concluded to be related species; it's not that much of a stretch to think they can interbreed. But humans and dragons? Dragons are reptiles with a third set of limbs and fire-breathing, for God's sake; how are you suggesting they can breed with primates? Just the size difference makes the idea considerably squicky. If you didn't think of it that way, I assure you that your older readers will.

And how would the hybridization work, anyway? Right now he sounds like you're just making him a human with a couple of bonuses that happen to be derived from dragons. Hybrids don't work that way, even if you could somehow argue that dragons' genetic material is compatible with that of humans. To be a hybrid, he would have to be exactly half dragon and half human, not a human with pretty wings and fire-breathing abilities. But no, that would cause your character to be very freaky-looking and have a whole world of problems. You don't want that, do you?

Honestly, why do you really want him to be a half-dragon? To make him cooler? It sure doesn't sound like his half-dragonness is about to have any impact on the storyline from what you've told us. See, I could forgive you for the illogicality of dragon/human breeding if this had some actual effect on things. Maybe if Erindor were shunned as a disturbing freak and a product of the unholy union of man and beast (come on, this is medieval times - of course he'd be considered a demon child and probably be murdered on sight), or if his mother was raped by a dragon and he wants revenge, or whatever (okay, those would be clichéd, but you get the idea), I would accept that him being a half-dragon is an essential part of this particular story and that it just requires some suspension of disbelief, but it just doesn't seem like you're going to do anything with it. As I said, it looks like he's only a "dragon/human hybrid" to be cool and be able to fly and breathe fire, and that really doesn't bode well for the Stu-meter.

2) Lydia. Will be main character if Erindor is not. A 'wizardess' as she likes to say, as she thinks saying with is sexist. Has a pet familiar, Talot, a raven with speech and intelligence. Lydia has a staff, which channels her magical energy. She will have total control over an element, need suggestions.
...she thinks saying 'witch' is sexist? This is medieval times we're talking about. The concept of sexism is not going to exist for the next several hundred years. Yes, this is a fantasy world, but come on - in order for the concept of sexism to exist in any world, it needs to fulfill these conditions:

1) Women must have been considered the weaker sex in less enlightened times (so you can't just say "Women have always been treated as more equal to men in my world!", which would be a standard fantasy author's excuse).
2) After this, times must have become more enlightened (but since this is medieval times we're talking about, I'm not sure what revolution of enlightenment resulting in new respect for women can have already happened).
3) In these more enlightened times, there needs to be a women's liberation movement calling attention to the prior oppression of women to have come up with the idea of sexism and made it condemnable (in medieval times - come on, this is just getting ridiculous). Actually, they'd need to have spread their message in a way that's impossible with medieval technology - no newspapers (heck, most people can't even read), no media in general, no Internet... just how could anybody possibly raise public awareness about anything in medieval times?

Is this really worth it? If you want to call her a 'wizardess', just pretend that's what people have always called female magic users in this world, or that 'witch' is defined as meaning only a woman who uses black magic, or what have you. Don't try to squeeze a concept like sexism into a world where it clearly doesn't belong.

As for which element she should control, I'm puzzled as to why you feel the need to ask for suggestions on that of all things - there are only four elements after all (assuming you're thinking of the Ancient Greek elements, rather than the Ancient Chinese elements or the chemical elements), and figuring out which one would suit her best shouldn't be that hard. Or, at the very least, you should be better able to pick one than we are, since the only thing we know of her personality is that apparently she's a feminist wildly ahead of her time. What, you just want us to pick the element we personally like best? Why would that be what is best for her as a character?

3) Aether. An elven archer, amazing shot, a bit over ambitious. Will later betray the group and become evil, second-hand man of the main bad dude. Long bow/Knife combo.
'A bit overambitious' is going to make people predict the face heel turn, you know. :/ Especially with the conspicuous lack of any such statement of something unlikable about the other main characters, which seems to imply that either there is nothing unlikable about them or that their flaws are considerably less pronounced. Overambitious characters are always bad guys.

6) Kulttripse. The leader of the Oxiriths*. Very powerful, has a thirst for blood. A cold hearted killer, probably will be killed by the end of the first book so Aether can take over.
*Oxiriths are evil, nondescript cloaked figures. Have sharp claws and are good at killing.
That name sounds really... odd. o.O

Now, we don't know the Oxiriths' significance to the plot, but I'm getting this real feeling they're going to be something like orcs: an evil race of not-quite-human creatures in the service of the bad guy. In which case... that's quite old. :/ Can there really not be people with honest intentions in the service of the bad guy?

7) Dark Lord. The ruler of the realm, evil, and ultimately the last bad guy they take out, in last book. Haven’t really come up with anything for him.
...and Dark Lords are also quite old.

See... pure evil is kind of lame. You've got a dark lord, a character already predestined to be "evil" and be "taken out" at the end, and now you're trying to come up with more background? No, no, no. You're doing this the wrong way around. You're deciding, "I need a main antagonist, so here's a placeholder pure evil dark lord, and now let's get somebody else to come up with some half-hearted backstory about him."

No. Take a deep breath. Think about it yourself, honestly. What has this character done that makes him so supposedly evil - why do the protagonists feel that he needs to be overthrown? What were his motives in doing that? Where did those motives come from? And don't just half-ass this with "He oppresses his people because he's a sociopath" or "He executes innocent because he likes killing people" or "He usurped the throne because he was power-hungry." That's boring. Give your villain some depth, and don't ask us to do it for you, because you should care.

Us giving you plot twists is equally ridiculous. The fun of writing a story is to think of things like that yourself.

-------

Now. Overall, looking over this, your character roster really looks like a list of the playable characters in a very generic fantasy RPG video game. Male melee swordfighter with special physical powers, female magic user, elven archer, cute fuzzy mascot with a unique, useful ability, shady guy who can transform into an animal. This might be weird to say, but your characters' races and combat styles are too carefully varied for it to be believable. In a video game, the creators want to have a varied character roster so that they can appeal to a wide variety of tastes and let people use the characters they like best; in a story, I can only wonder why these people are out together trying to defeat the dark lord. How in the world did they all meet and become friends? Why do they all have the same goals? Why don't elves look down on humans, or humans on werewolves, or anybody on a dragon/human hybrid? This just doesn't seem very well thought out. :/

Really, in general this seems kind of painfully generic, characters aside. I've already told you why the dark lord and the creatures in his service are old and boring; I've seen all of your main characters before a million times, and the little we know of the plot seems like the plot of every high fantasy ever.

Last edited:
Hmm... Butterfree gave me the blast of reality that I needed. Thanks for that.
I'll try to come some deeper ideas for my characters, though. I haven't really thought about a lot of the things you pointed out.

Kulttripse... Just a name I came up with. Not necessarily what I'm going to keep. Yeah, it does sound weird.

I'll try to fix all that.

Hmm, just a random idea off the top of my head;
Erindor/Dragon Guy/Whoever.. suppose he has scales or really hard skin or something, draconic facial features and little to no hair and the like, with his overall body shape being only sort of human. So he would want to walk around on all fours a lot. And he could have wings that are too small to fly, or something. So then he could be a tad whiny that he can't fly and doesn't have any "good" dragon abilities, physically weak, or that he's ugly. Those would all be weaknesses, and make him less cliche. As for the dark lord guy.. I have no idea. Maybe it could be, say, he's trying to become the leader guy of whatever country/Kingdom/whatever, and they're trying to stop him from murdering the (good) ruler. So they do, and find out that he (or she) was good, and the current ruler is secretly evil, so they have to make up for killing him/her by finishing what they started in beating the real evil guy, or..
Meh, that's a tad cliche too, but maybe it'll help you think of stuff.
Name the werewolf after me!

Hey, I never said my ideas were any good. :D
Or, scratch the whole Big Bad thing, and replace it with.. I don't know. Something else, some form of common goal not related to defeating one.

Erindor could be a meech dragon, they are dragons, but stand on two legs, they have only slightly protruding jaws, but very dragony features, but still quite human looking, very intelligent they can talk. But you'll have to find a different name for the species.

Meech dragon... what's that from?

I came up with a couple ideas:

Lydia was actually an abandoned child, fought for herself on the streets. On her 15th birthday, however, she found an old book in one of the garbage dumps. It's a book on magic, and she learns the power of Earth. I think that's the best fitting element. You later find out she's the daughter of the high wizard, which makes her ecstatic, but he betrays them.

Erindor getting his wings: I was thinking a couple different things. Perhaps at birth Erindor was selected to be the dragon warrior by the Council of Fire (of dragons). And He'll help them by... something. I'll have to come back to that. He'll learn his destiny after an encounter with one of the members of the Council. And I think I'll go with Butterfree's suggestion of everyone freaking out when they find out what he is.

For the unnamed Werewolf, he's an assassin sent to kill Erindor/Lydia, but he loses in a duel. They don't kill him, because Erindor/Lydia can't bring themselves to kill someone in cold blood. Eventually they become good friends.

------

These any better?

Lydia was actually an abandoned child, fought for herself on the streets. On her 15th birthday, however, she found an old book in one of the garbage dumps. It's a book on magic, and she learns the power of Earth. I think that's the best fitting element. You later find out she's the daughter of the high wizard,

Being an orphan is another warning sign of being a Mary-Sue, especially if they're actually the child of royalty or another high position. How about having a normal character with a non-traumatic background who goes to help the main character out because they agree with him or just happen to want the same thing?

Really you should be fitting these characters a bit more around the plot (or visa versa I guess); you should get rid of the stereotypical King of All Evil (tm) and replace him with an intriguing villain who's the antagonist for a reason as well. Really, if you want a story like this you need a reason for all these characters to; 1. Band together and, 2. want to fight the villain. Additionally, you need a reason for the antagonist to be the antagonist in the first place. What is the Dark Lord's motivation for being a nasty person, or at the very least, being the enemy of the protagonists?

Also if she's an orphan how did she read the book of magic?

Erindor getting his wings: I was thinking a couple different things. Perhaps at birth Erindor was selected to be the dragon warrior by the Council of Fire (of dragons). And He'll help them by... something. I'll have to come back to that. He'll learn his destiny after an encounter with one of the members of the Council. And I think I'll go with Butterfree's suggestion of everyone freaking out when they find out what he is.

Why does he need wings again?

For the unnamed Werewolf, he's an assassin sent to kill Erindor/Lydia, but he loses in a duel. They don't kill him, because Erindor/Lydia can't bring themselves to kill someone in cold blood. Eventually they become good friends.

If he's an assassin why would he challenge them to a duel? And don't give me that 'honourable assassin' bull, if he's an assassin he makes a living by murdering people in cold blood for money, honour systems that require a duel would only drag him down.

Last edited:
Meech dragon... what's that from?
It's from a series of books by Donita K. Paul.

To which I've got to say, dude, if someone's asking for ideas for a piece of original fiction, saying, "Here, take this idea from another writer and use it! Just change the name so nobody knows you're copying." is major, major lame.

Back
Top Bottom