• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Negrek vs. Kratos Aurion

Originally Posted by Negrek
All right, time to start up a new challenge.

3vs3 Single
DQ: Standard week
Style: Set
Banned/Restricted Moves: One direct healer and three chills/pokémon
Damage Cap: 33%
Terrain: The Ninja Village

At the heart of a dark, secluded forest, there lies a tiny village passed over by time. Here the way of the (stereotypical anime) ninja is still very much in practice, where young children learn to kill people using nothing but their toes and the village elders haven't been seen since they decided to hide in plain sight a couple of months ago. Life here is untroubled by the bustle of urbanization outside the forest, and those rare travelers who manage to find the place are treated with no more than chilly politeness.

For the moment, though, everyone in the village (so far as you can tell; one of the elders is still AWOL) is off at a seasonal ceremony even deeper in the forest, leaving the place entirely open to wanton destruction in the form of a pokémon battle. The village itself is made up of multiple tiers of construction, with many structures situated high in the boughs of the ancient trees that make up the place. Wooden platforms and tricky, concealed bridges provide means of getting from place to place around the village. The homes themselves are small and sparse, and all locked up tight with their occupants gone--and I wouldn't go trying to force your way in, either. These are *ninja* houses, after all; who knows what sort of booby traps they've laid to prevent prying trainers from breaking in while they're away?

The trees themselves are gigantic, their lower boughs easily large enough for a human to walk out along and their leafy canopy far away overhead. The air is deathly still, dusky, and largely silent; pokémon have learned to avoid this place. However, now and then a weird cry sounds in the distance, and strange, dancing blue lights sometimes float through the murk just beyond the village's perimeter.

The battle starts out on a small platform, about two meters square, that has random boxes and baskets (empty) piled around its edges. A couple of narrow bridges lead off to house-platforms to either side. Your battle can take you anywhere you want around the village, but you'd best be sure not to slip and fall!

Special Rules: Seeing as this is a ninja village, I challenge the opponent to a ninja battle. Sneaky-sneaky like. All this means is that, rather than having commands be posted in the thread, each battler will PM their orders to the referee. The only posts in the thread should be those made by the referee (except when a pokémon faints and another one is sent out; the player who's sending out can post who they'll use to save going through the referee), and each player has seven days from when the last round went up to submit commands by PM. At the beginning of the round, the referee posts squads as normal, then both players send in their pokémon choices by PM. Once both PM's are received, the referee posts the chosen pokémon in the thread and solicits the first round of secret commands.

Round Seven

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Health: 97%
Energy: 87% | Chills: 0/3
Status: Glad that the scary gryphon-thing isn’t here anymore.
Commands: Fake Out/Substitute (10%) ~ Fire Spin/Heat Wave ~ Will-o-Wisp/Fire Spin/Sunny Day

Yoshiya (M) <Magic Guard>
Health: 47%
Energy: 10% | Chills: 0/3

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Richter Abend (M) <Keen Eye>
Health: 91%
Energy: 97% | Chills: 0/3
Status: *shakes fist* “Next time I’m going to kill you >:|”
Commands: Fake Out/Reflect ~ Taunt/Calm Mind/Reflect ~ Reflect/Dynamicpunch/Calm Mind

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>
Health: 40%
Energy: 41% | Chills: 0/3

Richter growled and idly rubbed his claws together. If he couldn’t beat up small baby faeries, then he’d have to settle with small baby monkeys, instead. Nimbly he pushed off, legs working at such a furious pace that within seconds the Sneasel became a blur. What sunlight managed to filter through the leaves of the canopy reflected off of his long claws. Chimchar screeched in alarm, all thoughts of using Fake Out replaced by thoughts of self-preservation. She scrabbled at the wooden platform, but there was no hope of avoiding the lightning-quick attack. Still running, Richter cocked back one arm as if preparing to deal a crushing blow, then… jumped right over his opponent. Chimchar felt the air stir with his passing, even as a clawed foot pushed her head towards the platform and her face was shoved against the wood. The only part of her body that actually hurt was her sensitive nose, but her heart was beating so fast that she had to take several moments to calm herself. She grumbled irritably in her mind; she couldn’t believe she fell for the same trick twice.

As Chimchar lay there with her face against the floor, Richter leaned back and crossed his arms in a casual position. “Huh”, he said, “So that’s all it takes to take you down? Disappointing. Do you have a single bone in that spine of yours?” Chimchar jerked her head up and glared her opponent. She could fight as well as any Pokemon! Sure, she ran away once, but that was because her trainer ordered her to… “I, for one, don’t intend to scamper back to my trainer just because of a petty type disadvantage,” he continued. “Oh, looks like I’ve hit a nerve.” Chimchar screeched and clumsily swatted a hand in his direction, which Richter sidestepped with ease. “Better, but not good enough.”

Now absolutely livid, Chimchar let out another screech. Fire gushed from her jaws, the flames somehow bending the laws of physics by rapidly forming into a seething twister easily twice her height with no visible assistance. Slowly it advanced on Richter, leaving behind a blackened trail of wood. The Sneasel attempted to dash around it, but the attack just clipped his side and he flinched in pain; ruthlessly taking advantage of this, the Fire Spin engulfed him in swirling walls of flame. His vision was suddenly layered over with bright orange and yellow that made his eyes throb.

Despite the fact that the mild nip and burn of the fire was rather distracting, Richter had sufficient concentration to pour a small fraction of his energy around him. It shimmered before turning into a golden, semi-solid dome. Richter shoved one hand through it, wincing as flames licked greedily at his arm, and felt satisfaction spark within him when he felt his hand met with some resistance. Perfect.

Chimchar was far from satisfied, though; she wanted destruction, bonfires, stuff burning! She wanted Richter burning. Quickly she went through her commands with an anger-ridden mind – wait, what? Will-o-wisp? She snorted in annoyance and immediately latched onto the only damaging option. Granted, it wasn’t going to cause a massive blaze, but she couldn’t sit there like a tree stump when she could actually be dishing out some damage. The fire chimp hissed and a plume of flame gushed from her jaws, quickly forming another twister. Unable to move much without burning himself, Richter could only stand there as the second Fire Spin bore down on him, completely ignoring the protective barrier around him. The weak attack merely pricked painfully at his skin, however, and the sensation was easily shrugged off.

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Health: 94%
Energy: 80% | Chills: 0/3

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Health: 86%
Energy: 88% | Chills: 0/3
Status: Rather bored. Reflect is activated (3 more actions). Trapped in a Fire Spin (2 more actions).

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Terrain notes
Both Chimchar and Richter are on the main platform.

Final notes
Chimchar flinched on the 1st action.
Because of Taunt, Chimchar defaulted to her only offensive attack on the 3rd action.

Last edited:
You seem to have forgotten to list the duration of Richter's Reflect, which I'm pretty sure should still be up.

3vs3 Single

At the heart of a dark, secluded forest, there lies a tiny village passed over by time. Here the way of the (stereotypical anime) ninja is still very much in practice, where young children learn to kill people using nothing but their toes and the village elders haven't been seen since they decided to hide in plain sight a couple of months ago. Life here is untroubled by the bustle of urbanization outside the forest, and those rare travelers who manage to find the place are treated with no more than chilly politeness.

For the moment, though, everyone in the village (so far as you can tell; one of the elders is still AWOL) is off at a seasonal ceremony even deeper in the forest, leaving the place entirely open to wanton destruction in the form of a pokémon battle. The village itself is made up of multiple tiers of construction, with many structures situated high in the boughs of the ancient trees that make up the place. Wooden platforms and tricky, concealed bridges provide means of getting from place to place around the village. The homes themselves are small and sparse, and all locked up tight with their occupants gone--and I wouldn't go trying to force your way in, either. These are *ninja* houses, after all; who knows what sort of booby traps they've laid to prevent prying trainers from breaking in while they're away?

The trees themselves are gigantic, their lower boughs easily large enough for a human to walk out along and their leafy canopy far away overhead. The air is deathly still, dusky, and largely silent; pokémon have learned to avoid this place. However, now and then a weird cry sounds in the distance, and strange, dancing blue lights sometimes float through the murk just beyond the village's perimeter.

The battle starts out on a small platform, about two meters square, that has random boxes and baskets (empty) piled around its edges. A couple of narrow bridges lead off to house-platforms to either side. Your battle can take you anywhere you want around the village, but you'd best be sure not to slip and fall!

Special Rules: Seeing as this is a ninja village, I challenge the opponent to a ninja battle. Sneaky-sneaky like. All this means is that, rather than having commands be posted in the thread, each battler will PM their orders to the referee. The only posts in the thread should be those made by the referee (except when a pokémon faints and another one is sent out; the player who's sending out can post who they'll use to save going through the referee), and each player has seven days from when the last round went up to submit commands by PM. At the beginning of the round, the referee posts squads as normal, then both players send in their pokémon choices by PM. Once both PM's are received, the referee posts the chosen pokémon in the thread and solicits the first round of secret commands.

Round Eight

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Health: 94%
Energy: 80% | Chills: 0/3
Commands: Brick Break + Fake Out/Fling ~ Taunt/Flamethrower/Brick Break + Fake Out ~ Nothing

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Health: 86%
Energy: 88% | Chills: 0/3
Status: Rather bored. Reflect is activated (3 more actions). Trapped in a Fire Spin (2 more actions).
Commands: Protect ~ Spite/Taunt/Swords Dance ~ Counter/Swords Dance/Payback

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Before Chimchar’s flustered mind could make sense of her trainer’s commands, Richter had already spread a thin film of pure energy in a dome around him. It solidified in a matter of seconds; the Sneasel enjoyed a brief relapse of temperature before he knelt down to enforce the barrier against an attack he knew was coming.

Unfortunately for him, Chimchar still had the sense to take a look at what his opponent was doing before attacking. She peered at the tower of flame, now starting to sputter, with narrowed eyes and caught the telltale shine of a Protect. She snorted; some opponent, mocking her for running away and then promptly hiding behind an impenetrable shield. Her anger needed some sort of vent, though, and that crate over there looked like the perfect candidate. With an enraged howl the fire chimp dashed towards the crate and hoisted it above her head before throwing it at Richter, the hollow wooden cube briefly passing through a wall of flame before bouncing uselessly off the semi-transparent blockade. It ricocheted off to the side, beyond the reaches of the Fire Spin, and though the wood had been darkened there was no indication that it had been set on fire.

Upon hearing the sound of impact, Richter sighed and let the Protect drop. He then mumbled something under his breath and rummaged about for creative insults. There wasn’t much he could do when he was still confined within a pillar of flame, except mock Chimchar’s general appearance and battle performance – and that certainly wasn’t very innovative in the least. It seemed that he wouldn’t even have to try, though, because at that precise moment a vaguely monkey-shaped comet burst through the walls of his fiery prison, dashing forth at breakneck speeds. Chimchar’s hands, glowing with a fierce fighting spirit, were tightly curled into fists. Richter stumbled back in surprise, landing ungracefully on his behind when his foot got caught in a crack between two wooden planks. His opponent ruthlessly took advantage of his vulnerable position by dealing him a lightning-quick punch in the stomach. The Reflect was unable to stand up to the force and seemed to shatter into innumerable golden fragments. Chimchar then followed up with a focused chop to the side of Richter’s head and a roundhouse kick. The tan energy surrounding the chimp’s hands and feet burned horribly against the Sneasel’s skin, and against his will he yelled in pain. Blood roared in his ears.

By the time Richter had calmed down enough to stand up and shake himself out, the Fire Spin had sputtered out, leaving nothing but a charred ring of wood where it was before. He leered at Chimchar, who had jumped off to the side after executing her combo, to observe her actions, but she seemed quite content with crouching there and staring back at him. In the end he shrugged and surrounded one clawed hand with a dark aura, then raked it across Chimchar’s shoulder. She gave a small yelp, though it was mostly from surprise and not pain; the shadowy glow had no lethal purpose to it, and only stung mildly.

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Health: 88%
Energy: 61% | Chills: 0/3

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Health: 69%
Energy: 78% | Chills: 0/3

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Terrain notes
Both Chimchar and Richter are on the main platform. There is a slightly burned crate not too far away from the battlers.

Final notes
Wood used to make stuff is usually semi-resistant to burning – it usually takes it several seconds to light, from my experience – and since the crate just passed through the Fire Spin twice, I didn’t see it bursting into flames or anything.
Richter flinched on the 2nd action.
A'ight, it's late over here and I'm too lazy to proofread so I'm fairly certain I've forgotten something; gimme a shout if I really have.

I'd give Negrek a DQ warning now, but since she's posted in the absence sheet, I'll give her until the 7th at 11:00PM to PM her commands to me.

Well hopefully I'm doing DQ times correctly now...

Anyway, Kratos didn't say how long Negrek was going to be busy for, and I've seen her around in ASB, so I think it's fair to have the week-long DQ warning start ticking now.

Buhhhh forgetful Blazhy is forgetful. Anyway. It won't be fair to DQ Negrek without a proper warning - not to mention she's posted in the absense thread - so I'll give her another 48 hours. She should be having internet access.

3vs3 Single

Round Nine

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Health: 88%
Energy: 61% | Chills: 0/3
Commands: Double Team (6 clones)/Focus Punch/Brick Break ~ Heat Wave/Scratch ~ Heat Wave/Chill/Fire Spin

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Health: 69%
Energy: 78% | Chills: 0/3
Commands: Counter/Natural Gift/Calm Mind ~ Counter/Spite/Aerial Ace ~ Counter/Spite/Natural Gift

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Richter shook out his arms and clapped his clawed hands together. Within seconds, white light could be seen peeking through the cracks between his fingers as he called on the deepest wellsprings of his power. Slowly the Sneasel drew his hands apart to reveal a white sphere, growing ever larger; when it was the size of a bowling ball he gave it a nudge and it shot off in Chimchar’s direction. The fire monkey chattered nervously and attempted to dodge to the side, but the orb merely veered off its original course to slam into her side. Chimchar was knocked off her feet by the fierce blow.

Still chattering, Chimchar hauled herself back onto her feet and dusted herself off. Her shoulder stung mildly from the Natural Gift. Shrugging it off, she went down on all fours and began to sprint along the perimeter of the platform, building up so much speed that within moments she was little more than a fiery blur. Richter looked on with an amused sneer. When Chimchar slowed down, panting, she was accompanied by five look-alikes. Annoyed, she noted that she had fallen one clone short of her trainer’s commands, but she was rather certain she couldn’t run any faster without tripping over her own feet.

With the same smirk plastered on his face, Richter broke into a run, though it wasn’t as speedy as Chimchar’s was; nevertheless, it was still quite impressive. The Sneasel ran around a quarter of the platform before flashing out a hand and tearing at the closest Chimchar. It vanished upon contact, but Richter wasn’t deterred – he kept on running, slashing through intangible fire monkeys until he managed to nick the real one. The fifth Chimchar squealed in pain as a long wound opened in her stomach, and her remaining copy vanished as her concentration snapped.

Chimchar recovered with a sniff and a snort, then began to raise her already-blistering body temperature. Richter stepped back as she started to glow white-orange from the intense amount of heat build-up. Eventually Chimchar couldn’t stand it – she was sweating like no tomorrow and felt a headache coming on – and unleashed the heat with a cry. It was like an explosion had taken place in the forest. The Heat Wave went off with a bang, spreading outwards at an incredible speed to wash over Richter, but more importantly, the forest. As the Sneasel screeched in pain, the forest replicated his emotions by bursting into flames, the leaves and tender twigs rapidly being consumed by a growing blaze. One or two rattan crates on the platform caught fire, too, though thankfully the wooden boxes and the platform itself escaped from Chimchar’s fury. Below the rattan crates, a small circle of black, unnoticed by the battlers, slowly grew…

Richter’s screaming mingled with the groan and crack of branches as he ran around desperately, swatting awkwardly at the flames on his back. Eventually he tripped and began to roll around instead, finally snuffing out the little blaze when he smothered it against the platform. His worries were far from over, though, as he felt heat buffet his body from all directions; his eyes bulged when he took in the flaming forest around him. The fire was hungrily running along branches, burning through some of the weaker ones to bring them crashing on lower platforms and ultimately the forest floor. Had he looked down, he would’ve seen the leaf litter on the ground dancing with flame as well. Smoke began to cloud the air, stinging eyes and burning throats and shrouding the vista in a thin veil of grey.

Richter was shaking just enough to be visible now – fire was definitely something he did not sit well with – but he remained calm enough to call upon his innermost reserves of power. As Chimchar sat down, only mildly distracted by the burning forest, Richter hurled another pure white sphere at her. She wailed in pain as it struck her shoulder, which was still sore from the previous Natural Gift. Biting her lip, she rubbed at it to soothe the pain, but it still throbbed rather horribly. She closed her eyes and relaxed, feeling the fatigue from pulling off such an impressive attack ease slightly. Meanwhile, Richter gagged and coughed as the smoke in the atmosphere thickened. Off to the side, a tiny flicker could be seen escaping from under a rattan crate.

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Health: 60%
Energy: 58% | Chills: 1/3

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Health: 57%
Energy: 60% | Chills: 0/3

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Terrain notes
Both Chimchar and Richter are on the main platform. There is a slightly burned crate not too far away from the battlers. Two rattan crates are on fire, and the platform is starting to catch fire from said crates.
The forest is in a state of disarray. It is in the process of being consumed by a blaze, and branches are starting to crack off. Each round there will be a 10% chance of a burning branch falling on the main platform.
The air is hot and dry and filled with smoke, so all Pokemon will expend an extra 1% energy per round. This will continue to grow until the fire is put up. Starting next round, all non-fire-type Pokemon will suffer 1% damage per round; that will grow slowly as well.

Final notes
Chimchar isn’t fast enough to produce 6 clones. Normally I have a Pokemon produce 1 clone per 13.5 points in base speed, rounded up – that’s five clones for a Chimchar.
Heat Wave did less damage because it was ordered to be widespread.
The second Natural Gift was a critical hit.
Chimchar’s Chill recovered less energy than usual because she was interrupted.

Last edited:
You seem to have gotten Overheat and Heat Wave confused a few times in there. Negrek's commands and your summary say Heat Wave, but the reffing says Overheat and you lowered Chimchar's SpAtk. Haven't bothered checking the math to see exactly which you calced for (really ought to be doing my own reffings right now), but yeah.

Ugh, I had the distinct feeling I did something wrong here. Yes, it was meant to be Heat Wave, but I did the calculations like it was Overheat. Lack of sleep is bad for referees. I'll fix it right away.

3vs3 Single

Round Ten

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Health: 60%
Energy: 58% | Chills: 1/3
Commands: Flamethrower/Heat Wave/Focus Punch ~ Heat Wave/Flamethrower/Focus Punch ~ Fire Spin/Sunny Day

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Health: 57%
Energy: 60% | Chills: 0/3
Commands: Aerial Ace + Dynamicpunch/Dynamicpunch/Swords Dance ~ Rain Dance/Counter ~ nothing/Swift/Counter

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Taking a moment to glance at his opponent to make sure there was nothing to impede his attacks, Richter broke into a sprint. To the naked eye, he looked like a small black comet streaking across the floor. As he ran around the perimeter of the platform, coughing occasionally as he inhaled some smoke, Richter clenched his fist and cloaked it in fierce, explosive fighting energy. Chimchar only had a moment to panic before Richter suddenly changed direction and punched her hard in the stomach. The instant the attack made contact, the brownish aura around the Sneasel’s fist seemed to peel away, quickly forming a starburst of energy; Chimchar reflexively squeezed her eyelids together even as she was knocked backwards, but even then the light assaulted her eyes until they throbbed uncomfortably. “Uncomfortable” was a luxury that her stomach could not afford, however. Richter’s fist had such raw power behind it that she knew that within minutes, a large, ugly bruise would form on her skin.

Chimchar lay on her back for a while, gasping for breath and attempting to blink away the spots in her vision. When she had recovered, she staggered to her feet. Ignoring her nausea, the fire monkey took a deep breath and exhaled, ushering forth a plume of flames. As luck would have it, the Flamethrower struck its mark, despite Chimchar’s spinning head, and Richter growled in pain as the flames scorched his sensitive skin.

When the fire died down, the Sneasel cringed and took a moment to rub his arms, glaring at Chimchar all the while. She glared back with a slightly cross-eyed gaze. Eventually, Richter turned away with a snort, then tilted his head to the sky, eyes closed, and began to dance. Seeing this, Chimchar clenched her own fist and tried to concentrate. Unfortunately, this proved to be difficult, as the starbursts that dotted her vision suddenly morphed into dancing bananas of the eye-hurtingly neon yellow variety. Even as clouds began to cover the sky above, Chimchar was forced to sit down, clutching ineffectually at her pounding head. The sudden downpour from the aforementioned clouds did nothing to alleviate her migraine. All around her, the fire sputtered and hissed as it was assaulted by fat, heavy raindrops, though the blaze was large enough to stand up to the rain for a period of time. Smoke rose from the forest and from the small portion of burning platform, obscuring both Pokemons’ visions.

As Richter sat down and resisted the overwhelming urge to cough, Chimchar stood up, her headache tamed for now. She glanced up at the sky, eyes watering from the smoke. Rain did not sit well with her at all. The fire chimp began to spin around, making sure to take it slow so her headache didn’t resurface, moving her feet with a sort of clumsy grace to the beat of a song in her head. The dance slowly sped up, until Chimchar was literally pounding against the platform in a frenzy; as if moved by the Pokemon’s energy, the clouds retreated, leaving behind an abnormally bright sun. The hissing of the fire stopped as the raindrops ceased to fall. Even though the blaze was tempered by the sudden storm, its duration was brief, and so it failed to put the flames out entirely. The atmosphere was no longer uncomfortably hot, though smoke still hung in the air, putting a strain on both Pokemons’ lungs.

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Health: 44%
Energy: 46% | Chills: 1/3

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Health: 41%

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Terrain notes
Both Chimchar and Richter are on the main platform. There is a slightly burned crate not too far away from the battlers. The crates have been doused, though a few small, sputtering embers still exist on the platform. These will die out quickly unless properly tended to.
The fire has been reduced to several small flames scattered throughout the forest. They will slowly spread, reaching their previous sizes in one-and-a-half to three rounds.
The air is hot and dry and filled with smoke, so all Pokemon will expend an extra 1-2% energy per round, as is decided by the RNG gods. This number will stay stable until the flames start to grow again. Damage to non-fire types will, likewise, resume once the fire becomes as large as it was one round ago.

Final notes
Chimchar was confused on the 2nd action.

3vs3 Single

Round Eleven

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Health: 44%
Energy: 46% | Chills: 1/3
Commands: Focus Energy/Focus Punch/Blaze Kick ~ Rock Climb @Branch/Fire Spin ~ Brick Break @Branch/Heat Wave/Vacuum Wave

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Commands: Swagger/Chill ~ Psych Up/Chill ~ Counter/Night Slash/Rain Dance

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Chimchar began to settle into a cross-legged position, but before she could actually begin focusing, she heard a mocking jeer from her opponent. Richter had crossed his arms and was leaning back in a casual pose with a raised eyebrow and a superior smirk. Oh? Not going to fight back? the Sneasel drawled. Listen, little chimp, you can’t win if you play with all these pansy kill-the-forest techniques. A real fighter settles things with hand-to-hand combat. That’s clearly not what you’re doing. You’re just a waste of my time. Richter sniffed disdainfully and turned away.

That gesture turned out to be the last straw: Chimchar was now seeing red, so much that her vision was clouded with red and the world seemed to be spiraling into a vortex of red – ugh. The fire monkey just barely managed to hold onto her reason, and though her nausea seemed to be returning anew, she squeezed her eyes shut and meditated for a short while. Gradually she became more aware of her surroundings – she could hear the frantic buzzing of insects as they tried to escape from or were consumed by the fire, could hear the patter of burning twigs falling through the thick canopy of leaves. And when she opened her eyes again, the rage-induced crimson veil had lifted somewhat, though the strength her anger lent her still remained.

Richter, though, was determined to share that strength. Grinning to himself, he shut his eyes and managed to latch onto Chimchar’s mind with his own. From there, he memorized his opponent’s physical and mental state and applied it to his own body. Chimchar felt a puzzling tingle that was not entirely unpleasant; it was shrugged off quickly. On the other hand, Richter felt a surge of power rush through his wiry frame – without the accompanying dizziness, that is.

Apparently, Chimchar had had quite enough of Richter’s mind games, as she chattered nervously and began to make a beeline towards the nearest tree. Actually, a ‘beeline’ was an inaccurate statement: the monkey, obviously still under the influence of Richter’s Swagger, lurched from side to side at random intervals. Still, she managed to make it to the tree miraculously unharmed. Mustering her courage – her limbs were still rather stubby to climb very effectively, after all – Chimchar leapt at the thick trunk, finding footholds in the ancient, gnarled bark and gradually scaling her way up the mighty tree. Below, Richter watched her disappear into the thicket of leaves, fuming – didn’t he just spell out “fight like a man” for her a few moments ago?

Chimchar didn’t seem to be coming down anytime soon, though. After waiting for about half a minute, during which the flaming chimp poked her head out from the leaves several times to check his location, Richter gave up and began to twirl about in slow, graceful circles, his feet performing complicated steps in such an elegant way that it seemed like the Sneasel was in a trance. As if to compliment his solemn dance, the sunshine dimmed, then was lost completely as thick, grey clouds raced in to cover the sky. Rain began to fall once more, smothering the already weakened blaze. In the tree, Chimchar grumbled as raindrops rolled off leaves to drop on her head.

Scuttling along a protruding branch and poking her head out to confirm Richter’s placement a final time, Chimchar returned to her previous placement and clenched both of her hands into fists. A faint shroud of tan fighting energy could be seen dancing along her fingers – and it suddenly faded away as the Pokemon’s head was wracked by a particularly fierce migraine. Chimchar gave a little cry of pain and clutched at her head, unable to concentrate through the pounding in her skull. She was forced to huddle on the branch as down below, Richter growled and tapped his foot impatiently, waiting for something to happen.

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Energy: 33% | Chills: 1/3
Status: Wishing that her headaches would just go away. +2 Attack. Confused (mild to moderate). Focused.

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Energy: 30% | Chills: 0/3

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Terrain notes
Richter is on the main platform, while Chimchar is sitting on a branch roughly above where Richter is standing. There is a slightly burned crate not too far away from Richter. No more fires exist on the platform.
The fire is more or less dead. Unless renewed with another Fire attack or similar, it will die out completely by the beginning of the 2nd action next round. Sunny Day will not affect this, as the leaves (which are falling rapidly as a result of the fire) are damp enough to smother out the remaining embers.
The air is starting to cool and the smoke is starting to dissipate. All non-Fire Pokemon will expend an extra 1% energy for one more round, unless the fire is renewed.
It is raining, and it will continue to do so for 8 more actions.

Final notes
Focus Energy lessened Chimchar’s confusion somewhat.
Even so, she hurt herself in confusion on the 3rd action.

Last edited:

3vs3 Single

Round Twelve

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Energy: 33% | Chills: 1/3
Status: Wishing that her headaches would just go away. +2 Attack. Confused (mild to moderate).
Commands: Vacuum Wave/Blaze Kick/Chill ~ Brick Break/Heat Wave/Vacuum Wave ~ Heat Wave/Blaze Kick/Hidden Power

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Energy: 30% | Chills: 0/3
Commands: Chill/Counter ~ Natural Gift/Dark Pulse/Counter ~ Natural Gift/Dark Pulse/Counter

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Chimchar chattered nervously and poked her head out of the thicket of leaves in front of her, her feet balanced precariously on two thin branches. She shook her head free of the rain droplets that had gathered on the leaves before peering down. It wasn’t too difficult to find Richter; he was sitting cross-legged on the main platform, head drooping down. His breathing was slow and steady. He seemed to be lightly asleep.

Sighing in relief, Chimchar motioned to return to her previous perch when her headache came back anew. The tree seemed to lurch about and she lost her balance. With a cry, she felt her feet slip, and she lashed out with her hands out of instinct. As luck would have it, one of her hands found another branch, and she gripped at it so tightly out of fear that her knuckles turned white. There she hung, her feet dangling in the air, for several moments until her dizzy spell passed. Tentatively she stretched her other hand out and began to haul her body up, her entire form trembling with strain. Chimchar plopped down on the branch with a huge exhale, then she too closed her eyes, only too grateful to have a chance to stave off her fear and pain.

After two or three minutes, Richter yawned and stood back up. Hearing his movements, Chimchar carefully rose to her hind legs and listened for the scrabble of claws on bark. It never came. What she did hear, though, was a slight hum in the air, followed by a high-pitched whine… All of a sudden, a blinding white orb of pure energy burst through the canopy of leaves above Chimchar. There it hovered for a second, as if uncertain of where to strike, before simply dropping out of the air to hit Chimchar on the back. She gave a cry of pain; the orb felt like it was made of rock or metal, and she knew that within minutes she’d have an ugly bruise.

Muttering angrily, Chimchar poked her head out once more to confirm Richter’s location. He hadn’t moved. Grinning to herself, the fire ape clenched her fists and reached out in front of her, then gave the branch three powerful strikes. Despite her attack boosts, the branch was far too thick for her to break, and all she managed to get was a small snap and a loud groan. Chimchar sat back, cringing, and rubbed at her sore hands.

On the main platform, Richter shifted uneasily from foot to foot, occasionally flicking rainwater from his eyes, unsure of whether his opponent was planning to do anything at all. After several minutes, he lost his patience and began to charge another brilliant white sphere. When it was a decent size, the Sneasel pushed it forward with both hands, causing it to speed away to the branch that Chimchar was perched on. This time, it hit her hindquarters, and her feet were nearly swept out from under her. Only fast reactions and resilient hands allowed her to stay on the branch.

Chimchar took a few seconds to regain her balance, and then closed her eyes in concentration. One by one, multicoloured orbs appeared around her, until she was surrounded by the spiraling spheres. Then she gave a sharp bark, and the spheres congregated into a tight stream of brown-grey energy. Several of the orbs were lost as they crashed into leaves and twigs as the stream descended to the main platform, but the attack was, overall, barely diminished. Richter hissed in pain as he was pelted by the Hidden Power, the rock-type power in each of the orbs biting at his skin.

Negrek (OOO)

Chimchar
(F) <Blaze>
Health: 20%
Energy: 29% | Chills: 2/3

Kratos Aurion (OOO)

Sneasel @Razor Claw
Health: 34%
Energy: 29% | Chills: 1/3

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent>

Terrain notes
Richter is on the main platform, while Chimchar is sitting on a branch roughly above where Richter is standing. There is a slightly burned crate not too far away from Richter. No more fires exist on the platform.
The forest fire has burnt out entirely.
It is raining, and it will continue to do so for 5 more actions.

Final notes
Chimchar rolled just enough for confusion to kick in on the first action, but the next dice roll yielded a very high number, which is good by my scale, so the damage was reduced.
Due to her pseudo-confusefail, Chimchar regained less energy from chilling.
Chimchar’s confusion was entirely erased by chilling on the first action.
Given the descriptions of the trees (the boughs are gigantic, a human can easily walk across them, etc.), I highly doubt a Pokemon of Chimchar’s size can break a branch with a single attack.
Both Natural Gifts and the Hidden Power’s damage were reduced very slightly due to distance.
Chimchar’s Hidden Power is Rock-type.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom