• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

New Games: Pokemon Black and White 2

I really hope they are an actual sequel/continuation to B/W, because I personally don't see the point of playing through the same story again, even if there are differences.
I also would prefer a post-game Hoenn. I really loved Hoenn, but as spaekle said there is not really any good reasons to remake R/S besides the fans wanting it. I think just being able to revisit Hoenn in B/W 2 would be enough. It would be nice if you could still capture Groudon/Kyogre/Raquaza, too. Of course, you can already get them and Latios/Latias in HG/SS, so that would be kind of redundant.

There's no reason whatsoever to remake R/S.

You seem to forget the fact that Nintendo is a greedy corporation who will make Pokemon games until the sun expands and devours Earth
And maybe even after that

The question isn't "what reasons are there to do a R/S remake"
One of the answers is "because the technology used to make R/S and Gen V compatible is outdated" btw

The question is "what reasons are there to NOT do a R/S remake"
The only answer that makes sense is "trolling"

Hate to be a downer, but it looks like Black and White 2 will not have Hoenn featured in the game. (Although, the translation is Engrishy). [link]

~ unpopular opinion time ~

The postgame Hoenn thing was some offhand wishful thinking of mine; I doubt it's likely but it'd be awesome. (Though B2W2 taking place in Hoenn is an even cooler idea :o)

However, I seriously don't understand why everyone is acting like Ruby and Sapphire remakes are already a thing and just haven't been announced yet.
well there is this tweet (which I did have in my other post but whatever)
There's no reason whatsoever to remake R/S. FR/LG were done for nostalgia's sake (being the first games) and HG/SS were done because the originals had become unplayable due to the battery issue.
HG/SS were also done for the nostalgia factor, most definitely, and that's probably why Kanto was even included at all in postgame HG/SS. RSE sales would probably sell a lot from nostalgia sales, too, and there's a huge leap in graphics from GBA to the amazing stuff in BW, like the difference from GB colour to DS graphics in HG/SS. Pokemon games like to be pretty, and we've seen much more of that in the last few games. There is so much added to HG/SS stylistically that it actually makes playing it a wonderful experience, and there's no reason why they wouldn't do that for RSE.

R/S, however:
- are still compatible (however indirectly) with current games through the DS import features
yeah, but it's also a pain in the ass to have to move pokemon across three games from RSE to DP to BW. Nintendo will also eventually phase out the DS in favour of the 3DS, which means you have to hold onto your DS or GBA if you want to move pokemon over; why would Nintendo want you to do that when they can sell you a new game?

- were released in that dark age where Pokemon was considered a dead fad, and therefore aren't likely to hold a lot of nostalgic value for the masses outside of Pokemon's cult following (HGSS brought a lot of people back into the fandom; I can't see R/S doing that no matter how much I may love the games, especially since most of said HGSS newcomers are the type who hate everything post-Johto)
- sold the least out of all the main series Pokemon games (Except for B/W, but they've only been out a year. Interestingly, according to this, FR/LG was the lowest-selling duo, indicating that nostalgia value doesn't always mean more sales, and also emphasizing how "dead" Pokemon was in gen 3 - all of the games selling less than 2 million, save for Pokemon Pinball and the Japanese Stadium, are third-gen games).
okay, for a start those are probably incredibly likely to be related (not to mention that DPPt are on the shiny new DS and are rendered in 3D, and that the GBA had a couple of problems on its own like a dark screen and being kind of uncomfortable to play). Secondly, there obviously has to be at least one game in the series that is the 'worst seller' (not to mention Emerald sold almost as much as Crystal did). 'Only' 15.38 million copies of RS is still 15.38 million copies of RS that got sold - way more than any of the spin-off games, and the top bestselling GBA game, according to Wikipedia. Then there's also the fact that Kanto's figures are ridiculously high. D/P 'only' sold 17.8 million, which is not much more than R/S and still less than G/S, so. 'Least successful' doesn't necessarily translate to 'not successful'!

- are actually widely considered among the worst games in the series! No day/night, lame villains, most older Pokemon unobtainable without trading (which was more difficult back in the day), etc etc. This isn't an opinion of mine, mind you.
sure, but there were also a lot of features that are standard now, like double battles and EVs and stuff.
I was under the impression that people who didn't like generation 3 weren't necessarily a majority, they were just very vocal about it (and from my experience, also generally the people who stopped playing pokemon after Johto and aren't exactly hanging out for new games anyway). RSE aren't bad games, but they were released at the point where a lot of people were kind of growing out of pokemon anyway (for those that did), and as you said, at a bad point for pokemon in general.

I mean you make good points and hey there might never be gen III remakes, but I honestly do think RSE cops a lot of flak for no good reason. :c

Hate to be a downer, but it looks like Black and White 2 will not have Hoenn featured in the game. (Although, the translation is Engrishy). [link]
yeah, I kind of expected that. I kind of always thought that the reason why we even got to go to Kanto in the first place is because they're virtually right next to each other. We don't get postgame regions in any other game, so.

Last edited:
yeah, I kind of expected that. I kind of always thought that the reason why we even got to go to Kanto in the first place is because they're virtually right next to each other. We don't get postgame regions in any other game, so.
Gen II was expected to be the last of the Pokémon franchise, so that's another reason why they tacked Kanto in. It'd be an amazing sendoff, what with all the nostalgia.

Of course, now, an end for the Pokémon franchise and a game featuring all the regions are both extremely unlikely.

So! It looks like there's a tiny bit of information out there on BW2 based on the CoroCoro cover and Meloetta's Piroette forme's been officially reveal! And there's a lot more to be revealed. And possibly new protagonists! [link]

I COME WITH NEWS:

*New areas in Unova
*Unova partially frozen
*Protagonist that may or may not be older versions of Hilda/Hilbert or related to them
*New gym leaders: Water and Poison

I'm fairly sure that spoiler number three is wrong as BW2 takes place two years after BW1.

But! There will be 300 Pokémon in the Pokédex this time around! A mix of old and new-er Pokémon! So far it looks like Psyduck, Metagross, Eevee, and Tyranitar will be available. Excluding Eevee, all these 'mons were available post-game

On new characters, I absolutely /adore/ the rival who's managed to become female in my headcanon, but I'm not too keen on either protagonist.

Pictures on serebii.net and so forth.

Apparently the protagonists are new, and the rival is very different too.

Apparently, Lucario, Haxorus, and Black Kyurem are exclusive to Black 2 Zoroark, Metagross, and White Kyurem are exclusive to White 2. Apparntly, don't put much scope in that claim though.

It looks alright so far! Neat shots (such as of underwater tunnels!) and starting on the other end of the region is good too imo. Wonder if the freezing-parts-of-unova thing is done better than platinum (it's colder because snow in first few routes, and...yeah colder guys see scarves worn now!...and miniskirts still).

I like the protagonists, and welcome a potential lack of N as the rival. Pre-gen-5 Pokemon in the dex is also cool - 300 in total (including gen 5 pokes) to choose from is very nice.

Just hope there's a decent amount of post-game things to do though.

Alright, so observations off what we can see of the Unova map:

So a large portion of Unova's frozen - we can see that the eastern area's frozen, along with the entire northern area, is covered by ice on the map, which may or may not be literal. Regardless, bits that are covered include Nuvema (hey, Hero of Unova, they went after your home; you going to do anything about that?), Striaton, Nacrene, Black City/White Forest, Undella (the place of summer vacations!), Lacunosa (of course), Icirrus, and apparently even the Pokémon League. Landorus's shrine looks safe. I'm wondering if that's going to be their justification for blocking off a large portion of the map before beating the E4/big bad the first time; it wouldn't be abnormal if, after resolving the stuff with Kyurem, the ice melted. (It would be abnormal for it all to go back to normal immediately after it stops being covered with a huge sheet of ice, but I don't expect much to come of that.)

The road between Castelia and Nimbasa has been fully developed, though, so perhaps no more sand pits in the way, and everything south of Driftveil's also been developed (because new locations and everything). The central island of Unova has definitely changed - the moat's completely dried up, and apparently something happened to the magic spiral pass power tree?

Also I don't like any of the new characters' hair. That is all.

Adding to the locations, a fan found a really interesting connection between the BW1 Subway routes and the current region here!

You tell how excited I am for these games.

I'm pretty excited about the new protagonists. The last game's female protagonist was so... daisy-duke-shorts-wearing that I had to play as the dude for the first time since the original Gold and Silver, but this new girl is fucking adorable and is probably my favorite female protagonist ever

But I'm also really psyched that this is actually like... really sequelly! This was way beyond what I was expecting. This is gonna be really awesome.

K let me organize all this crap...

Green hatted hero here...

Review:

Region changes:

-There are new cities, towns and routes in the south west now.
-Construction on route 5 is now complete (by the looks of it)
-The Pokemon League, Victory Road, Lacunosa Town, Undella Town, Black City/White Forest, Nacrene Town, Striation City, Accumula Town, and Nuvema Town are all now encased in ice.
-Iccirius City also looks as though it's under it, but the image isn't comepletely clear.
-Chargestone Cave is also encased.
-Assumably, travelling the region during the initial story will likely be less straightforward, and likely more along the idea of the other regions, backtracking in order to access the new areas.
-Likely the sheet of ice will be removed post story. (Assumption)

Characters:

-New protagonists (First region to have more than two protagonists playable (Kris/Lyra does not count))
-New rival (cause these games didn't have enough)
-At least two new gym leaders:
-A water type user (Well, it;s a good thing they expanded the Unova Dex to 300, as otherwise his team would be sad)
-A poison type user who seems to be a rock artist. (This should be interesting)

-A new scientist interested in the Strength of Pokemon
-Ghetsis is likely the antagonist. (Assumption)
-Hilda/Hilbert will not make a reappearance due to now possessing the repsctive legendary, but N probably will.

Pokemon:

-Metagross, Tyranitar, Lucario, Eevee, Psyduck, Mantine, Lapras, Arcanine, and their respective evolutionary lines are confirmed.
-There is likely to be a large influx of water types.
-Zoraork and Haxorus may become version exclusives.
-Lucario and Metagross also seem to be version exclusives.
-Zoroark is assumably obtainable without event requirements.
-Leafeon might be difficult to obtain due to the ice in the area near Pinwheel Forest.

My opinions:

I do not like the new females design (yes I said this regarding Lyra as well...) the Buns are strange, the miniskirt seems utterly unnecessary, and her shoes are wierd. Chances are I will warm up to the design, and eventually forgoe giving a fuck about my own opinion.

The male design would be better if the omitted the sun visor. "Hey, new male protagonist, you are not in Undella Town, remove the fucking sun visor you twat!"

Rival's cool in my books, and effectively makes Cheren look even worse than he already did.

I like the Poison Gym Leaders design, but the Water one scares me. The scientist recieved an obligatory hair freak point, so whatever.

Region's gonna be fun to roam, especially if the ice disipates following the completion of the game. The new Pokemon will make the game quite interesting to play, and will likely have a handful of current gyms altered due to it.

I think that's it. Yeah...

A thought just occured to me: If they have two new Gym Leaders, who will they replace? Because I seriously dougt that there will be ten Gym Leaders for the first time. Eight is just too much of a tradition.

Striaton and Nacrene have to be replaced since they're clearly iced over.

Seems I was incorrect about Landorus's shrine and that was encased after all - what I thought might be its shrine is a new town which... may have been built after the ice encased everything else? Why.

It's also on the mountain, so it may be a little difficult to get to.

Chargestone Cave looks fine? Twist Mountain may not be, but everything up to Mistralton looks okay.

I also realised that rather than ice encroaching from the north and east, Unova's actually surrounded by ice - if you look closely, there's the ice sheet around the southwest as well, some of it quite close to a town.

Rather than just stopping a team of activists who weren't quite convincing, the new protagonists could be driven to act by the prospect of the entire region freezing over (even if it's still Plasma's fault). Okay, a bit obvious, and I'll be a little disappointed if not much is made of it, especially since some of the ice seems adjacent to the protagonist's hometown.

I like how everyone is disregarding the possiblity of the protagonist and rivals just being an aged up Cheren along with aged up versions of the old two. Which might I add is just as possible as being new characters. Either way I can't see any reason to dislike the female character.

i cannot be very excited for anything until we find out if the BW gym leaders are still in it.

though i do love poison type gym leader lady.

I like how everyone is disregarding the possiblity of the protagonist and rivals just being an aged up Cheren along with aged up versions of the old two. Which might I add is just as possible as being new characters. Either way I can't see any reason to dislike the female character.

Personally I'm disregarding that possibility because I highly doubt they would just arbitrarily change characters' eyecolors and make them look two years younger instead of two years older.

i cannot be very excited for anything until we find out if the BW gym leaders are still in it.

though i do love poison type gym leader lady.

I think they'll still make appearances. I doubt they'll have killed them off. They just might not be doing gymstuff anymore, what with their towns frozen over.

Though this does raise an interesting question. If these new gyms were always present, how did they fit into the League? Were they always proper gyms, or are they de-facto gyms to replace the ones that got frozen over? And if they were proper gyms, were their badges valid? Is it that getting any eight badges would get you into the League? Just food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom