• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nintendo 3DS

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about this. :D

I just wish the working title was something other than 3DS, because it's irritating seeing people go OMG ANOTHER NEW DS WITH A GIMMICK OMG WHY NINTENDO. Successor. It. Is Not. A DS. Though I have to admit, the 3DS sounds kind of cool, haha.

That it's going to be out in a year's time is pretty surprising, I guess it just sounds way too soon. Nevertheless, I can't wait for E3 to see what Nintendo are going to say~

I'm pretty much always going to have faith in Nintendo. They managed to pull the Wii off, after all.

1. The 3D for the 3DS is going to be the kind that jumps out at you. They're using a similar technology to the monitors and TVs that do the same thing.

Well, we can't be sure about it jumping out at you until E3. For the second part...Not really. They've already done this with the DSi, it isn't going to require expensive hardware to create the effect at all. It'll just be on a larger scale, with better cameras, sensors, and probably screens(though cost shouldn't be an issue).

2. As someone who suffers severe motion sickness with certain games, I'm worried about how much this will make me and others with this ailment sick. Also, eye strain. Basically, the same concerns with the Virtual Boy

Not sure what to say about the first part. Hopefully it won't be overused and only in situations where it'll actually make sense. Eye strain shouldn't be an issue if they aren't forcing you to wear glasses with this. And really, why would they make this like the Virtual Boy?

3. How exactly are companies going to use this technology beyond gimmicks? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd really like to know this. I mean, even with the DS, there are tons of games that don't even use the touch screen. How are they going to implement full-on 3D?

Well, who knows? We'll have to wait and see.

4. As of right now, this technology is very, very expensive and obscure. Is this thing going to be priced through the roof? I just bought a DSi, I really can't afford to blow a ton of money on a ludicrously-priced handheld, especially since it's so risky.

No, it's not...

They're most likely not going to use the expensive tech and are probably instead going to opt for what they used in that DSi game. Meaning, as I said above, cost probably won't be much of an issue. I'm guessing it'll be, at most, 180 USD, if even that. But that's just a general guesstimate from a guy who probably doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to cost, so don't quote me on that.

But hey, if I want any video game company taking crazy risks and innovations, I want it to be Nintendo. Let's hope they find a way to get around these obstacles and make this thing awesome.

Nintendo only has had one real failure(not counting add-ons and stuff). I'm sure they can handle this without too much trouble.

Oh, and games that actually use this technology will be nigh impossible to emulate, but whatev.

Well yeah. Gotta keep them pirates from emulating the ROMs and stuff. XD

It's kinda hard not to be cynical about this kinda stuff considering how just about any gimmick, 90% of the time ends of failing. I, and I'm sure many other people as well, don't want another Virtual Boy.
the two screens and the touch screen on the original DS were a massive success, so

still, i'm probably not going to buy this until/unless a game i want comes out, like a mario or pokemon game, just because i'm kind over nintendo handhelds as it is and with the exception of heart gold haven't played my DS in ages. it will probably approx. as good as the DS

Nuuuuu my 2D life

Looks pretty spiffy though. I'm going to withhold opinion until more information comes out.

I don't think they're going to use the actual new 3-D screen technology, mostly because it would be way too expensive; the face-recognition technology would cost less and won't be as hard to develop. I think it's kind of weird they released the information now though; this would stop quite a few people (at least me) from buying the new DSsomething and save up for this one instead.

Well, bump. Hopefully I'm not over doing this by reviving a three month old thread, but....

http://kotaku.com/5650652/the-nintendo-3ds-has-a-release-date
http://kotaku.com/5650667/the-3ds-has-a-virtual-console-for-game-boy-games

Alrighty, I know, I know. It's expensive. I feel like I'm eating my words everytime I look at this thread....

But, there's no chance they would actually release that in the West for 300 USD. They know people won't buy their system if it costed that much. I think a price tag of 200 USD is a much safer bet.

And the VC. Holy shit, this is awesome. Please bring Mother 3 to Western Audiences using this Nintendo, PLEASE!

1) 'costed' is not a word
2) how much did the PS3 sell for at launch again?
3) looks cool, can't wait for the six+ months it takes to get here

$300 is going to be a lot of money, for me at least, but I think that overall it will end uop being a pretty good investment. For me especially, it can still play DS games, which means I'd be able to finally replace my rapidly degenerating DS Lite. Plus, I imagine that the 3DS will last for a long time after release, and I'm sure there will be quite a few games for it that I would want. So, despite its pretty heavy price tag, I think I can start saving up money and will definitely buy this when it comes out.

Hopefully my DS will hold out until March.

1) 'costed' is not a word
2) how much did the PS3 sell for at launch again?
3) looks cool, can't wait for the six+ months it takes to get here

1...you got me there. I've started ignoring my spell check since it keeps on getting the names of various Pokemon wrong. That'll teach me.

2. This is a handheld. While I guess $300 is reasonable for the technology in it, that's quite a hefty price tag and we aren't even adding in the cost of buying games for it(that is if it doesn't come bundled with a game).

3. Well, the press release said March 2011 for Western countries. I'm guessing it won't take 6 months? Then again, I've never had to deal with those issues, being in America and all. :P

I hope I can get the virtual handheld (parallel to console?) games for free if I actually have the cartridge, but I doubt it.

Probably not gonna buy this. I know it's not an add-on, it's a new console and OMG 3D and all that.

But I don't really play my DS (lite) much anymore anyway. Only games for it I'm thinking of getting is a Sonic classics collection (Sonic Genesis games on the go? Yesssss) and Pokemon White. But then again I should probably check out what's out there...still, I don't think I need a 3DS.

I'd only buy this if I absolutely needed to (like if my DS Breaks, or it's needed it to play a newly released Pokemon game.) It's $300, and probably can't play GBA games. (though that virtual GBC console looks interesting... wonder if they'll put the original pokemon games on there.)

I'd only buy this if I absolutely needed to (like if my DS Breaks, or it's needed it to play a newly released Pokemon game.) It's $300, and probably can't play GBA games. (though that virtual GBC console looks interesting... wonder if they'll put the original pokemon games on there.)

I heard it has GBA games on the VC.

And Nintendo would never sell that thing in the US for $300. They know that would alienate way too many people.

...I never play GBA games anyway. I'm getting it just for the sheer fact that I might as well have it, and that my DS Lite is about to go. Seriously, it even freezes inexplicably every so often. And the hinges are broken.

Back
Top Bottom