• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nintendo announces Nintendo 2DS

Scootaloo

spooky? do you think i'm spooky?
2DS on Nintendo website

Thoughts? Comments?
Personally i think the lower price tag ($130 for a 3DS without the 3D) is pretty good and it looks more comfortable to hold (although the shoulder buttons might be irritating to use, can't say for sure unless i find out)

It looks quite ugly but my main question is IS IT REGION LOCKED?
It probably is because I see no reason why Nintendo would stop with that dumb policy, but if by chance it isn't region locked, I'm getting one.

a bunch of people seem to be going "WELL THAT'S WHAT THE 3D SWITCH IS FOOOOOOOOOOR" but see. I keep accidentally flicking the 3D switch up or down and it makes everything really trippy.

And since it is (most likely) aimed at younger kids then I think leaving the 3D switch out and not having the feature at all is a great idea!

(also the lack of clamshell design makes it less likely to break)

(not to mention people who can't use 3D because of medical stuff. 3D gives my mom a headache.)

...I see no reason to give it a second glance, since I already have a 3DS. However, I can see why it's a good marketing idea -- the 3D is never really essential for any games, and the 3DS is a tad bit expensive.

the only thing i'm kind of annoyed about is that it doesn't close like the DS/3DS do, which means you'll probably have to put it in a case like in the commercial to protect the screen which i think's kinda... crappy. it does look a bit uncomfortable to use but eh. mum wants animal crossing and harvest moon 3DS but she doesn't particularly care about 3D, so this might be good for her.

I'm only in this thread because I found the fact that the index shortens this topic title to 'Nintendo announces Nintendo' really funny. Really now.

But eh, for little kids or people who were put off by the 3D function it seems like a good idea? It not closing doesn't really seem like a bad idea either. It looks like it's a nicer hold that way, and IDK, I guess it would stop issues with the screen joints. I already have a 3DS XL, so I'm obviously not going to bother, but I can see the appeal! (I hope it comes in other colours though. The black is a bit grim-looking.)

just seems like it's a hasty attempt to make 3DS software pick up on sales

but i suppose it's not a terrible idea

Well duh. It's like getting a day-late Valentine's Day card. They're... they're REALLY SORRY they gave you that monkey with the laser eyes :( :( :( they'll think of a better present this time :(

i have to admit that i appreciate Nintendo's response to the fact that tons of people don't use the 3D on the 3DS and that instead of forcing us to like that one feature they were really pushing, they've kind of understood that most people are buying a 3DS because new games are going to be released for it, not because it's 3D. it makes sense to release a cheaper, not-3D version!

Sounds good to me! I don't have a 3DS, as it costs a bomb, but the 2DS ought to be a fair bit cheaper, and I do want to play a number of 3DS games.

This is cool, and I can see the benefits (especially the cheaper cost). Bur I don't like it, personally. I the clamshell design works better on a ds than this fixed one. And it seems a bit bulky for something that can't collapse itself. I can see what they're trying to do and how it would increase sales, but I don't think I'll be getting one when the time comes to replace my 3ds.

i understand that the system was designed as "entry-level" and it's for younger kids but

the fact that the screens are as big as the XLs and it doesnt close is a bit of a turn off, i can't even fit it into my pocket

it looks like a slice of cake on its own, and yet at the same time

tumblr_ms90gnl36J1qeablwo1_500.jpg

At first I thought is was a joke, but now it's... ok? I'm not getting one myself though, but it's a good idea for kids, or people who wants a 3DS but doesn't care about 3D/wants a cheaper option.
Though even if I don't use the 3D, if I didn't have a 3DS I wouldn't get this instead because I prefer to be able to close it, the non-closeable style seems impractical (though I might understand if it's because it's easy to break the hinges)

a bunch of people seem to be going "WELL THAT'S WHAT THE 3D SWITCH IS FOOOOOOOOOOR" but see. I keep accidentally flicking the 3D switch up or down and it makes everything really trippy.
I think you can turn that off in the parental settings, just turn off 3D and the effect won't work at all. Maybe I should do that myself because it's annoying to accidentally turn it on.

Ninrendo sort of went backwards on this one. Sure it might be cheaper and more affordable but the 3D can be disabled in the Parental controls of the settings. They could have dropped the price of the 3DS rather than dropping theprice of the Wii U. That is my opinion anyway XD.:)

the key though is that it was made to be more affordable, and less breakable than the normal 3ds. it was made for kids, essentially; even if you can turn disable the 3D completely, it's still just as easy for a kid to screw up the top screen if they aren't careful with it.

the reason it's so cheap in the first place is because it doesn't have the stereoscopic 3D technology at all.

I think you can turn that off in the parental settings, just turn off 3D and the effect won't work at all. Maybe I should do that myself because it's annoying to accidentally turn it on.

Ah. I didn't know that. (i should really tell my mom that, hah)

A lot of the arguments I see here are ones that I'd definitely consider legitimate if it was replacing the 2DS. But one of the key things to remember is that it's a companion in a way!

It reminds me of a little kid whose parents are having another baby. The kid's immediate reaction is "oh my god i'm gonna be REPLAAAAACED" and spends the entire pregnancy hating the baby before it's born

and after they realize that their parents still love them they love the baby too (most of the time)

it's a...weird analogy because the 3DS is a gaming system and incapable of feeling hatred (or anything really) but like i said! if you think of the 2DS as the 3DS's little sibling rather than a "replacement kid", it makes it a lot easier to understand the changes!!

Back
Top Bottom