• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nostalgia in Pokémon Games

Re: Nostalgia in Pokémon Games

Yeah, but most of those evolved around LV25-35. Mine evolved at about LV62, and I'd thrown away all of my thunderstones(headdesk) because my brother wouldn't quit bugging me about having him evolve. He was holding a Magnet, but he was still holding it after the evelution. I also don't have a Growlithe in that game.

You think, maybe somebody might of evolved your Pikachu with a thunderstone while you wern't looking? That is the only plausable way I can think of that would allow your Pikachu to evolve without you knowing.

Anyways, my first time playing a pokemon game was at a friend's house with Blue. He started me on a new game and told me not to save. That was no problem for me because I had a similar case of I-can't-find-the-door-syndrome. Actually, the problem I had was that I didn't know the difference between a bike, a potion (I remember seing a pokemon card with the word potion and I thought it sounded funny), and jumping off a small cliff.

My real first game was FireRed. Since I was 11 (and the fact that FireRed has way better graphics), I knew the difference between the previously mentioned things. But I did get stumped on L.T. Surge's gym (and skipped it), Killed Zapdos (no balls left), and eventually my dad's girlfriend accidentally deleted my save file after trying to play at the game corner without me setting it up for her. But not much was lost since I never got to trade with anyone.

Eventually I got Blue for $3 just to see Missingno. and glitch city. Then I got bored and gave it to my little brother. The save file eventually got wiped somehow (it had something to do with a Gameboy player not reading it and Rainbow 6 for the GBC). My first years with pokemon were typical.

My first game was Silver, and my starter was Totodile. I got it for Christmas when I was 6. Two months later, for my birthday, I got Gold and Yellow. I played Yellow first that day and got stuck in Viridian Forest for a long, long time... So I played Gold and got Cyndaquil. I loved my Typhlosion so, so much. A couple years later, he was at level 99 and was about to be at level 100. I made the mistake of letting my dad's friend play it while I went to bed. When I got up the next morning, my file was erased. I cried. :'(

Memorys:

My brother gave me his crystal version.

When He gave it to me, I did the following:

Caught a Nidoran male, raised it to kill normal gym leader
Caught a ditto, then caught multiple others.
Raised a kakuna to level 20
Had 3 magikarps in my party (V.V)
Caught 2 zubats, raised them to lvl 15, bred them (LOL)
Could not find how to get past sudowoodo
Went ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE START OF CRYSTAL, THEN FOUND OUT IT DIDNT FUCKING DO ANYTHING.
Beat suddowudo, caught shiny gyarados, suicune, master balld' raikou.

Freaking owned red with:

Quilava (Never evolved:Its more awesome then typholsion)
Suicune
Gyarados
Crobat
Lugia
Hypno

Good times.

I'm reading the manga now, and I'm only in volume 9 so far. I am having a whole lot of nostalgia g_g I want my Pokémon Gold!

...and I also want it to be as awesome as the manga is...

My first game was Sapphire. I got it because I liked/still like Kyogre. Unfortunately for me, I don't have it anymore. Traded it for Silver...which a teacher took Silver and told the person I had traded Sapphire to to get it back...which he never did.

Then I got LeafGreen which someone at school stole.

Then I had FireRed which also got stolen.

Got Ranger but sold it to GameStop once I got stuck.

Now I have Diamond!

Last edited:

My first game was Yellow.

I remember freaking out because I didn't know how to catch pokemon, so my dad figured out how to buy pokeballs and caught a metapod for me. :B I was 8.

Yellow was my first game. I gave nicknames to all my Pokemon, but the best one was probably my Pikachu - Shocktail ^_^ There were SO many Mew cheats around but I never tried them, I was too busy just playing the game.

Raised a Caterpie (Bug-Cups) into a Butterfree in one sitting, but my sister annoyed me so I took out my frustration on my Gameboy Colour and since I had lost the backing a while back, the batteries came out. I had to do that all over again...

I can't even remember the team I put together to take down the elite four. I know I always evolved my Eevee into a Flareon, since my bro would get Vaporeon (on Red) and my sister got Jolteon (Blue), so we could all get their data.

Ah, the Safari Zone...I had both the best and worst luck there. I could easily find the rare Pokemon but catching them was a different story. [size=small]Damn you Chansey...[/size]

I tried to catch Mewtwo without the Masterball, but the moment he used recovery I was just like: "Oh hell no!!" and caught him with it ^_^

Even with Mewtwo I stuck with my main team mostly. My brother could easily beat me though - he had all the legends in his team while I still had my beloved Pikachu...and he often challenged me when I was only halfway through the game, so my team was around lv. 30 against his lv. 70 collection xD

Edit:

Oh, I remember some of the weird movesets I gave my Pokemon. I had a Psychic Wigglytuff for one...I just got the TM and thought "Who can learn this?" Turned out Wigglytuff could so I taught it the move.

SHOCKTAIL
Thunder
Slam
Siesmic Toss
Thunderbolt

Last edited:

Fire Red.

Good times, good times.

I was playing it all Christmas day and into the night. (I was attracted by the big hulking awesome dragonthing (I later learned it was a Charizard) on the cover. F3)

And then Brawl was a nostagiafest.

First game: Sapphire. And, the only noob thing I remember is knocking out Kyogre because I thought that if you caught it the world would end.

I was about 4/5 (7 years ago, blimey!) when I got Yellow. I don't remember having any problems until the first gym, where I got completely owned. That was when I went left of Viridian City and caught a Spearow. I evolved it into a Fearow, before Brock. I caught another Spearow. It ran out of PP for Peck, and I was really upset. It was only until after I released it that I realised the Pokémon Centers heal PP too. X| My Fearow beat Brock and Misty, and my Pikachu somehow was trained as well, if I remember correctly. I got stuck on Lt. Surge, but my dad beat him. I had the starters, and they were weak. I got to Rock Tunnel. Pikachu couldn't beat the Cubone. I tried my Bulbasaur (Lv 10). No chance. I think I deposited my Fearow somehow. I lost the battle and cried really hard.

Oh yeah, and you know the coffee guy in Viridian? Well I got so fed up because I couldn't get past him, I told my dad to take the game back to the shop. He figured it out and gave it back. Ahh, the good ol' days.

Had a bit of nostalgia recently.

My dad was clearing out a cupboard... and he finds a Game Boy Colour and a copy of Pokemon Red! I freaked! So I played it for ages (chose Squirtle for my starter) and I thought 'God, this reminds me of the past... like getting caught trying to catch Mewtwo at 11 o'clock at night...'

Not only that, but, two days ago, I found my old copy of Pokemon Silver!

The only way this could get better is if I found my SP and Fire Red or Yellow...

(FYI, my active games are Pearl, Sapphire, Silver and Red, and I'm looking for FR and Yellow, which I had a few years ago but lost)

I'm playing through pokemon gold right now. Because I had some nostalgia. I can goto the Elite Four now, but my team isn't ready.

Lv.37 Scyther
Lv.37 Hypno
Lv.35 Eevee
Lv.37 Staryu
Lv.37 Rhydon(yes I traded a dragonair)
And Lv.41 Ho-oh

But once they're ready, I used the PC duplicating cheat to make 8 Sacred Ash so I can fully heal every one between battles. I love that item!!!!

My first game was Red. x3 the first time I played it, it wasn't actually mine - someone my parents knew's kid let me borrow his Red, and another friend let me borrow her GBC. I started with... Bulbasaur I think. I don't quite recall. I barely used my starter, and it was around level 40 by the time he made me give it back...

I do remember my Clefable however - I named her Cleffa (this was before GSC x3) and she kicked so much ass :D Her moveset was something like:

Body Slam
Water Gun
Metranome
[a move I don't remember. Like... flash or something?]

And she was like... level 70. xD

My first game was FireRed. I remember how I couldn't beat the Elite Four with Zapdos and Moltres in my party, so I decided that they sucked and trained the pidgeotto I got near the beginning of the game and a dratini I won at the game corner.

And gosh, did I give some of my pokemon the dumbest nicknames ever. And for some reason, I liked to name my pokemon after various gods and goddesses.
Bacchus the Venusaur
Athena the Dragonite
Mercury the Pidgeot
Apollo the Moltres
Zeus the Zapdos

Yes, my first Pokemon game was also FireRed. I had chosen a Charmander as my starter, but I could only get it to Level 81 before my FireRed's unexplainable disappearance.

Another game I was quite fond of was Gold. It was very hard to find that game at the time, yet I believe it was worth it. In my opinion, Generation II has been one of the (if not the) best Pokemon generation so far.

I looked at my team recently and realised it was strangely similar to my old Gold team.

I had a Empoleon/Ferilagatr
A Electrabuzz/ Electrivire
Staravia/Pidgeot
Aggron/ Rhydon
Glaceon/ Espeon
Garchomp/ Tyranitar

wierd.

I looked at my team recently and realised it was strangely similar to my old Gold team.

I had a Empoleon/Ferilagatr
A Electrabuzz/ Electrivire
Staravia/Pidgeot
Aggron/ Rhydon
Glaceon/ Espeon
Garchomp/ Tyranitar

wierd.

I got yellow on my 6th brithday.....

I was stuck on brock and then mt. moon.....

I loved the pay day TM.....

my current pikachu learned it.....

I felt nostalgic and restarted and named myself YOU and my pokemans(as EVERYONES parents called them) in block capitals...

I was guilty of the pikachu only uses electic moves thing....

My first game was Red version. Actually, the first time I played Pokemon was with a friend's Game Boy Color. The game was new to me, so it was kinda mysterious. I was in Cerulean City, and this dick was blocking the entrance to the house in the middle of the city. First thing when I played my version of the game...I couldn't get out of the fucking house. I had to have a friend help me get out whenever I was stuck. My starter might've been Charmander or Squirtle. In the Squirtle game, I got stuck in Cerulean City, because I didn't know how to chop down the tree leading out of the city. I played plenty of games with Charmander, although I remember one of them. Charizard was my only Pokemon, and I couldn't get past Team Rocket's hideout.

Back then, I was obsessed with this game, as I'm sure many of you were too. It took me a while to get into it, but after a while, I went totally apeshit. I knew Kanto by heart, and was freaked out by the truck near the SS Anne. I was like this, because I knew this was the best fucking game ever, and someday in the future, I would have nostalgia of this moment.

Then I got Gold. I got this one for Christmas.When I first played it, it was kind of disappointing. I could only play it in B&W, and the graphics were kinda laggy. I really like Red, so why play this piece of shit? But it was new, so I figured, why the hell not? First off, I couldn't get out of New Bark Town, and there weren't any good Pokemon around. I think my starter was Cyndaquil, since I had Charmander as my starter in Red. Second, my rival was a dick. If you've played the game, you know what I mean.

I distinctly remember Cinnabar Island in Kanto. I was disappointed that it got blown up, but Blue, who had lost the Elite Four in the game before, was there, so it was OK. Also, I never beat G/S/C more than once.

So, not too long after this happened, I lost my Red version. Let's just say...I was pissed. I spent the next few years (not kidding) looking for it. It was never found.

Later on, after tearing apart everything I had looking for this game, I got FireRed. Wow. I mean, imagine: if you lost a game that you were obsessed with for most of your childhood, and hadn't played it for ages, how would you feel? Well, I loved FireRed. This was so nostalgic. The music, the gameplay, even the graphics, they were reminiscent of my lost love. No shit.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've played through Kanto. It feels like I've known it my whole life...in fact, I have. A few years later, I ordered a Red version from Ebay. The first thing I noticed (after wiping and starting anew) was that it looked so different. The rocks and sign posts stood out. I thought this was the UK version of this game, because everything looked so different. But, I got the hang of it. Then, I realized: I have fucking Red version! Although I already had FireRed, that was nothing compared to the real deal. So, I went to town with this. I was totally hooked, and for the next month or so, I just kept on fucking this shit.

After beating Red version again, I decided to play it a second time. Not so fun...I mean, when I first got this, it was the shit, but now, it was just kinda...old. I'm still on the second game, and while I haven't beaten it yet, I'm sure I will soon.

Just recently, I had a few tunes stuck in my head, so I decided to download the OSTs for R/B and G/S/C. I cried for mercy.

So there, my life story. I never found Mew under the truck. I never beat Gold version more than once. And, now I'm bleeding inside. Not because I miss my old memories, but because the Gameboy's synth is so fucking horrible, I can't listen to the bicycle song without getting a migrain. But still, it was good times. Anyone up for a trade?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom