• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers

Welcome to all the new peoples! Ah, I will now quote and answer posts.

I guess I'll join.Can anyone please give me some advice for this.
The shading's quite good and impressive. What I'd recommend is maybe adding some highlights.

I also drew my persona! Not a reference sheet, really, and I'm a little boring, that's basically... me, but kind of nicer-looking and wearing cooler clothes than I'd actually wear~ I attempted to do the hair in the style of that person I posted the tutorial of, too. A little bit of a failure, but I think it still looks better than I'd usually do, and I'm definitely going to try that out again. :D
I love the way you did the face. And the background. And the style. This picture is truly just... I can't explain how awesome it is. It has its own little quirks and such. The hat is awesome, and the background really gives it a unique flare. Your folds are top-notch too. However, there's something wonky about the lower half, the torso. The upper part is good and I can't find many mistakes with it, but the hips seem off. The legs go too much inwards for the hips, they stick too much together and the hips seem too wide for them. I hope I'm making sense.

hi guys!!!!!!! exclamation mark

Kai sort of invited me here too, and um... yeah. My name's Blu, and I draw stuff, just like everyone else.

I've never really doodled/scribbled/sketched too much, I just tend to hop straight into full-blown pictures. As a result, there tends to be a kind of... awkward silence inbetween my drawings. But, hopefully that's okay! I dunno, I'd be willing to try and draw a little more if that's one of the club requirements or something.

I don't actually have a persona, but I do have a character with the same name as me. That won't be confusing at all. :B There's also my main dA gallery, and this is my most recent picture (although I am working on something new at the moment. Excitement!).
Hi. :3 (No exclamation marks for you!)

I actually do the same thing, Blu. About the whole... full-blown drawings thing. Awkward silences occur with me too, ah. I thought I was one of the few.

More generally, your artwork is excellent. I like the colouring a lot.

Now on a specific piece, like that Phoenix... my GOD, that is beautiful. The jewel is excellently done, the reflections and shading in all the right places, it looks like an actual jewel. Your outlines are clean and crisp as well. It's beautiful and I honestly can't find anything wrong with it. Even the background is like... this excellent colourgasm.

lly.

Oh, I've drawn something that can be used as a reference for the time being; this was done at work and finished today. The clothes are what I wore to work on the day, which is what I wear on a day to day basis. There is a sorta Kai!outfit that I'll include in a proper reference once I make one.
You can do really good facial hair, you know that? Realistic. The shirt's lines though seem a bit too... flat. Shirts usually conform to your body shape and are sort of squiggly in shape. Same with the pants. And the neck seems a bit awkward... too thick for the shoulders. You've really improved though! And I can see it in your shading. Good job.

WELL.
I'M BACK.
I HAD FUN.
BUT I MISSED MY COMPUTER AND MY SKETCHPAD GREATLY D:
I'm tired so I'll go over a few things and head off to bed, but yeah.

Firstly, here's the birthday present I drew for my friend. I tried a new style of shading with it, which I think came out nicely.
It's also going to be Ice's second last appearance. Next up is the farewell picture.

I went over some designs with aforementioned friend earlier too, since she wanted to help out with my new persona. I'm pretty happy with them so far, and I'm looking forward to completing the designs
...! I know someone named Ri too! But it's probably not the same person. Anyways, a few more folds on the clothes generally would add some more realisticishness. But I know how hard that is to pull off. The shading's excellent though. Anatomy-wise too, you seem to have done a good job. I especially like the fourth girl on the right. The final one in the orange shirt though has a bit of a thick neck, and her breasts seem kinda funny, kinda off. Maybe like perspective wise. The hips too seem too... narrow. And the legs seem kinda skinny. I must commend you though for actually pulling off the hellishness of hands. Doesn't anyone find it ironic that many artists struggle with drawing the thing that they use to draw?

Yeah though, all in all, good job.

Also @Psymon because I forgot to multiquote your post and I'm not going back: It is cute, but the image IS a bit too big like Blu said for me to make a real judgement. From what I can see though, there is a bit of an issue with the beak. Although it is rather hard to pull off. And the head seems a bit... squashed. Loving the sun glasses though.

I will totally have my reference up tomorrow (too late right now for me to go get the camera xp) and I think it turned out pretty well.

Again, art trade, anyone? I need some inspiration plox.

@Blu: Everything Arylett said about the phoenix x17

@Mhaladie
Your sense of realism is amazing. I love the clothes and the atmosphere of the background.

@Blu
Oh gosh that phoenix is so awesome the coloring is so beautiful and I am just speechless.
Also it is now my wallpaper. :J

@anyone
I'll do an art trade with someone~

I knew this would happen; I saw the first few thread posts before I went away and three days later - explosion. Welcome, new people, lurkers and oldies! :D

Mhaaals, I forgot how much I liked your art. It always gives off such an illustration feel; I think the background's a big part of it, as it's rare to see someone put the time into doing one regularly. I'd love to try drawing your costume sometime too.

I have to add my sentiments-of-awe to your phoenix, Blu; it's a very striking and crisp picture and I love both the colouring and the closer detailing, such as the glow around the black outline and the yellow feathery lines on the body.

@FMC and Spaekle - after reading the thread last night I had a dream which merged your posts and my mother presented me with that anatomy magazine; I was disappointed waking up. :c

I'm going to redo my reference (because the other one, while still mainly correct, feels old and not up to scratch), but once that's done I'd be happy to get into an art trade! Let me know if you're interested. Also my dA is here.

(This feels waaay too short.)

bluh bluh psymon is too lazy to multiquote

@Blu: Thank you :3 The beak was the hardest thing to draw. It's just so annoyingly fiddly! It took me a few times to get it to look okay-ish. Also, I use GIMP on my computer. Psymon does not have the luxury that is paint.

Your drawings though are pretty awesome. I love some of the more cartoony ones like AAAAAA. That made me laugh for ages. The Pheonix... that's just absolutely amazing. The shading is brilliant, the lineart is perfect and it's all just so pretty.

What do you want me to draw for the art trade?

@Mhaladie: That persona is amazing. The background is really detailed and the persona herself looks very nice indeed. Just like Aryleet said, the face is right, the hat is cool, but something does seem a little off with the legs. I do love those little window thing in the background though.

Welcome to Snapecake! Remember not to let the Dementors get you.

I also totally agree with the whole illustration thing about Mhalsy's drawing. I was trying to find a good word to describe it, but I really couldn't find it. You found it.

I'm still working on my reference and the art trade (and some really late gifts people deserve, looking at you, Cake and Zora!), and I know some of you guys have seen it, but I feel the need to show this, a birthday present for one of my favourite people on these forums. :3 And also, this gal, the final stage of my uh, Creationsona/Fakemonsona thing who I am utterly in love with. Please note that that is not a reference to me because it's the adult stage and I don't consider myself there yet. If you want a nonhuman reference, use this, the previous stage. You can feel free to draw me as that if you want, really. However, I prefer my human self as a more "official" reference, so like I said, I'll have one up later.

Also, I'd like to remind people of the OS Awards Night. We're gonna do this thing, I totally can't set it up on my own. I need help.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm pretty sure that I had all the intentions of multiquote-ing, but I just decided I'm far too lazy. Arylett, your long and detailed multiquote posts are putting me to shame. :P

@people commenting on my persona; Eeeeee, thank you so much, guys! :'D I'm glad my detailing on the background adds something to it, because although the leaves were great fun to do, the fence-type thing was not. I'm very flattered that you think stuff I do it illustration-y, Kinova and Arylett~ Oh, you are all just too kind. Arylett, now that I look at it again, you're totally right about the torso looking too long and weird, with the legs starting too low. I think I pretty consistently draw myself like that because I do, in real life, have an excessively long torso and short legs, and then I magnify it to even sillier proportions when I draw myself. Whoops. I'll work on it!

Oh my dears, so many other posts to comment on, I don't really know where to begin... Umm, like everyone was saying, Blu's phoenix is super epic and awesome and pretty much everything about it is great. I think this is more of a personal preference than anything else, but I would say you're right about maybe doing a little extra to the background, to make it more... detailed. Of course, I'm sure that not having a super detailed background isn't for lack of ability.

Um, what else. Arylett, I don't think I ever commented on your birthday picture or anything, but it is pretty great. I like the glowy-light things. This may be the fault of your scanner or something, but even though it is super rainbowy and everything, it still seems a little... muted. It might be a lack of contrast in color-use? I don't really know, though. It's super, regardless. :D

OS Awards Night... I guess we should decide more solid rules and categories and deadlines, to start with, right? Someone could compile a list of ideas that have been generated so far?

I can help set it up~
Also-

Hosts:

Arylett

Trophy-drawers:
Mhaladie

Themes:
OS Group Pictures

Categories:

Best Shading
Best Anatomy
Most Rainbowgasmic (as in, colorful)
Best Backgrounds
Most Creative
Most Entertaining

aaaaaa thanks for all the awesome comments you guys. ;w; I'm really pleased and surprised with the huge response I've gotten on here and dA, it's crazy!

Super-huge replying to everyone post go!

@Kai: Sure did, buddy! Thanks. As for that picture, man, you shade with that kind of pen really well. o: The only problem I can really see right now is that the eye on the right looks a little high up, and perhaps too close to the edge of the face.

Eyes are... kind of tough to place! I've had that problem with a lot of my human pictures.

@Ice: Man, I kind of envy people who can draw so many people in one picture. I have trouble doing just one! That said, your pictures's pretty neat - I love your soft lines, and I really like the two characters on the right. My only issue is that sometimes the shading doesn't follow the curves of the body, and it looks a little pillow-ish in some places as well.

That flying chicken thing could also use some work. If you look at actual pictures of birds, you'll see that their wings and legs aren't just straight, and follow a structure. It's difficult to explain without redlining or something, haha. But, uh, the next time you draw a bird, try to study some good references. I think there's a good wing tutorial on deviantart somewhere, and you can probably find a lot of things through google.

@Arylett: Aww, but I wanted exclamation marks. :<

Awkward silencencers unite! I think the one between my Hihidaruma and phoenix picture was especially noticeable. I was like... drawing gen5 Pokémon every day, and then suddenly it just stopped.

Thank you for those really excellent comments! I've never really been good at responding to things, but... seriously, your post made me smile so much.

@Blastoise: x17? oh god that's huge

Huge thank yous to you, too!

@Mawile: Awwww shucks, I'm glad you like it so much as to have it as your wallpaper. ;w; Thanks!

@KronoGreen: D'you mean your avatar? o: It looks very nice, regardless!

@Kinova: Thank you too! :D I really like how the little yellow lines came out too, they really look good combined with the shading. Or, at least that's my opinion, haha.

@Psymon: those crazy beaks!! And ah, okay. I'm sure if you google search "gimp image resizing tutorial" or somesuch, you'll be able to find some kind of guide somewhere (man, what is with me and google today).

Thanks a bunch. :D Also, perhaps you could draw me a Swalot? I love those guys. What do you want for the art trade, too?

@Arylett again: oh my gosh look at those rainbows. o: Like Mhal said, they do look a bit muted, but that's not necessarily bad. It still looks really nice in my opinion!

You draw wavy hair/fire stuff really nicely, haha. Mouriett is really cute to me for some reason. I think it must be the face and the eyes.

@Mhaladie: Thank you! Yeah, those backgrounds, man. I think I did try to do more with the stars at some point, like having lots of tiny dots everywhere, but I kept accidentally making lines instead of dots on my tablet and I kinda gave up. I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but... I guess I'm just kinda lazy. It is my one true weakness!

When I'm finished with my current picture, I think I might try to draw a dragon to go with my phoenix picture. I keep imagining it as yellow and Chinese dragon-esque... though I'll probably end up mixing in some traits of other types of dragon. Anyway, it's just an idea.

The awards thing sounds intriguing!

Okay, I'm pretty sure that I had all the intentions of multiquote-ing, but I just decided I'm far too lazy. Arylett, your long and detailed multiquote posts are putting me to shame. :P

Um, what else. Arylett, I don't think I ever commented on your birthday picture or anything, but it is pretty great. I like the glowy-light things. This may be the fault of your scanner or something, but even though it is super rainbowy and everything, it still seems a little... muted. It might be a lack of contrast in color-use? I don't really know, though. It's super, regardless. :D

OS Awards Night... I guess we should decide more solid rules and categories and deadlines, to start with, right? Someone could compile a list of ideas that have been generated so far?
Ahaha, thank you. I have no idea where all this motivation comes from. I usually am SO lazy.

Yeah, it's my scanner... the real life picture is actually MUCH more colourful and I put a lot more contrast into a lot of my pictures, but it sort of eats it up a bit... even my dad agreed when I showed him the real picture and the scanned. I'm thinking I'm going to get a new scanner. I'm glad you like the Rainbow Stars (that's what they are) though!

All right, Mawile did so just a few posts ago.

I can help set it up~
Also-

Hosts:

Arylett

Trophy-drawers:
Mhaladie

Themes:
OS Group Pictures

Categories:

Best Shading
Best Anatomy
Most Rainbowgasmic (as in, colorful)
Best Backgrounds
Most Creative
Most Entertaining
Thanks Mawile, that was actually quite helpful of you to organize all of it. ^^

@Arylett: Aww, but I wanted exclamation marks. :<

Awkward silencencers unite! I think the one between my Hihidaruma and phoenix picture was especially noticeable. I was like... drawing gen5 Pokémon every day, and then suddenly it just stopped.

Thank you for those really excellent comments! I've never really been good at responding to things, but... seriously, your post made me smile so much.

@Arylett again: oh my gosh look at those rainbows. o: Like Mhal said, they do look a bit muted, but that's not necessarily bad. It still looks really nice in my opinion!

You draw wavy hair/fire stuff really nicely, haha. Mouriett is really cute to me for some reason. I think it must be the face and the eyes.
That's like what happened to me when I drew something in June 2009 and didn't upload my next thing until like somewhere in September/October. I suddenly have stoppages too, ahaha.

It did? N'awww. I'm glad I could do that. Ahahaha. Seriously though, it really was spectacular enough to warrant me saying that!

Oh, it's that blasted scanner, like I said... I'm planning on getting a new one.

It's actually supposed to be curly, but it looks sort of wavy too! Thank you though. I was afraid that maybe my way of drawing fire wasn't... firey enough or something. Oh? Someone who thinks it's cute? Everyone else I've talked to seems to think it's the most awkward of the stages. >: It makes me sad because it's one of my favourites. Thank you though, your comments gave me a smile too. :D

@Green who just posted whilst I was writing my post and I won't multiquote again: EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME 'CAUSE I'M STANDING ON A HO-OH

Okay, seriously, uh. I'm not sure what derpy even means, but somehow it feels like the right word to sum it up. Just in case it doesn't mean what I think it means though, it's quite amusing. Is that a shiny Ho-Oh? I forget.

ALSO to help with the Awards, here's a summary of the rules/procedures:

1.) The Awards Night will take place in a different thread.

2.) Each artist planning to participate must submit one piece related to the Theme by a specific deadline. (Which, is quoted in Mawile's post, the theme, I mean)

3.) The artists will then post their pieces in the thread, where everyone will discuss them and discuss which pieces are best for which categories.

4.) After the pieces are all nominated, there will be a series of polls for each category, to determine who is the winner.

5.) The host (that's me!) will take a look at each of the polls and results, and then close voting by a certain date. Like I said, I'll try to make it feel like a real awards night by having describes of the awards hall and stuff like that.

6.) The host will then officially announce the results, and the winner of each category will win a trophy drawn by the lovely Mhals. (And! A critique from me explaining how each one fits each category best and yada yada.)

7.) Also, and lastly, have FUN! It is highly encouraged that you get really into it, and you can make it really crazy and pretend like you're actually in an awards show. I know I'll be doing it. So bring out your fanciest tuxes! Or dresses! Or robes! Or if you're not human... then bring your fur and scales and whatever! (Spoonie, bring your spoon!)

There we go. Ahaha.

Last edited:
@Blu: I'll get right on that. If we're doing poison types, can you draw me a Dustox? I love's me some bug types. :3

I think I might have a go for an award. Seems quite fun.

Hey guys! :D

I thought I might post a few random drawings I've done lately, so that I could maybe get some constructive critique? I'm a pretty poor drawer and I find it hard to draw things a) realistically and b) consistently, so I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out? :D;

The things I most struggle with are anatomy and realistic aspects like folds on clothing, so if I could get a few pointers on that it would be magical <3 I would try and contribute towards the art of you guys as well as I'm sure that's what you'd want, but I really don't feel qualified enough at the moment... you all have awesome styles and are very talented ^w^

I mostly draw random fandom-related doodles, so yeah. Also, I have a rather odd style - kind of manga-inspired and kind of sketchy? I'm not really concerned with making the cleanest drawing, I tend to just sketch along a line until it looks about right. That probably isn't going to change. XD (Hence why Bakura's fingers look kinda pointy in the picture below, it doesn't really bother me too much. Hands are hard to draw e_e) I also pretty much never colour because I'm so bad at shading that it just looks plain awful when I do. :C

Aaaanyway. *throws some random doodles* I have no scanner and my camera is absolutely crap, so I apologise for blurriness. ;A;

Aeris (Final Fantasy VII) - close, and Aeris - full (pencil)
Yami Bakura (Yu-Gi-Oh!) as the Change of Heart card - top half because my camera is small and sucky, and Yami Bakura - bottom half, because my camera is VERY small and sucky. (pinkish-purple biro. I feel like this is fitting for Bakura somehow)

Sorry for the long, rambly, self-indulgent post! >_> The OS awards idea is really really good! I'd probably not participate but it's nifty, I'd definitely stalk and vote in it, if that's how it's going to be judged.

Aeris' expression makes me feel like I don't deserve to look at someone who has looked at that drawing. In a good way, though! Her expression is nice.

Bakura's (our) left eye seems off-center with the other one, though. Overall, you seem to have a good grasp of anatomy, Cirrus!

I encourage anyone to participate. Ahaha. Seriously, it's gonna be lots of fun and off the chain! (Why am I talking like some rap poser? Who knows)

Anyways, Cirrus, your Aeris drawing is... superb. Seriously, it looks like an Amano-style drawing. I love the way you did the hair, realistic. The dress is pretty too. But there are some mistakes... lemme see. To recommend for folds: I'd say just start making clothes more.. squiggly. With less straight lines. Also, draw the body underneath first before you draw the clothes, so then you can make folds that conform and make sense. Look at a lot of real life pictures, observe yourself in clothing in reality perhaps, to understand more where folds appear. All right, now that that's done... more on the drawing itself: one of the shoulders slopes down too much, that's the left. Also, the neck looks too thin and a bit too long. The left arm seems also too thin... and looks a bit shriveled. Wrists are a bit thicker than that, as are hands. But I know how hellish those can be to draw. The chest above the breasts is too... broad and large too. Chests are generally smaller than that. I'm not really sure what's going on with her left arm either.

Bakura's face seems a bit uneven and the neck is a weird shape. The shoulders too feel like they should be broader... but again, I commend you on the hair. You have a knack for hair, it seems.

As for the torso, you have the same problems with the arm as Aeris. The upper part seems a bit too... long. And the hips a bit too narrow. I'm liking the folds on the pants though.

But aaah, don't feel discouraged though! You did an excellent job. Human anatomy takes a while to get a grasp on; it's just so hard. So I understand. Generally, you've got it. You just need to make a few adjustments. Nothing too big.

Cirrus, I think Arylett's pretty much got you covered as far as crits, and I would agree with her on not getting discouraged. Human anatomy is really hard. Reasonable, not because humans are a lot more complicated than other animals, but because being humans, we're a lot more discerning about mistakes in human anatomy. :P

Your drawings are nice, though, and though you said it's not your thing, I would like to see a finished and/or colored picture from you sometime! Just think about it~

Thanks for posting the rules for the Awards Night, too, Arylett! I'm getting very excited. Everyone should participate because the trophy you'll get will be epic. :D

Something that might be helpful for people drawing their pictures to enter, keeping the theme in mind, are links to people's persona references on the memberlist. I could actually get that together if Spoon wanted me to send all the links or something, just to make things easier..? Also, any ideas on deadlines?

Last edited:
@Mhaladie
That would be really helpful.
No idea on deadlines, though.

@everyone
You should get your personas drawn or else I'll make something up. I'm already drawing my picture.

Back
Top Bottom