• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[OOC/Signups] The Mindscape

Thorne

It's feeding time
Welcome, Sleeper, Sleeper is what humans are called here in this realm, a world of eternal unconsciousness. A world free of physical limitations, where right is wrong, wrong is right, time is non-existent, and the only escape is to fight for dear life.

If one falls into a sleep from which is impossible to awake, the soul and mind drifts away to this realm. In a world without physical reasoning, one is stripped of it's logical, physical prison, and the true shape of the soul emerges, which can be virtually anything. And without physical laws, such things as eating and sleeping becomes nothing but ways to spend some of the non-existent time of ones eternal life.

But dangers lurks in this world as well, people have lost themselves to this plane of existence, which brought about the first Nightmares, corrupt souls, who exist without goal, and are generally hostile against the rather Sleepers who inhabit this world. Those tricked by their calls will have their minds warped into chaos, joining their ranks as well.

If one wants to leave this realm, then they are out of luck, as no way to leave is known, and since only the soul and mind is carried over here, the body is left behind, and if it dies, you are eternally stuck Although if one searches all over the place, just maybe can they find a way to wake up. The origin of this world is unknown, lost in the timeless ages, but we call this world, this undefinable place, The Mindscape.

This is my first Non-Pokémon in quite some time, if anything was unclear to you, just ask.

Okay, there are actually some rules despite what the story said, and I'll count them up.

RULES
  • One of this RP's selling points is the fact that your character can look like virtually anything, but I do actually have some limitations on that. And the most important part here is: MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN DESIGN, and that is important, if your character looks like anything that has already been made up, it's pretty much an automatic rejection. It can still slightly resemble something, thought.
  • On the note of character design, as said in the story, the appearance of your character is based around how they are as a person. So it has to fit with their personality, so for example, a character who is a rotten asshole to the very bottom can't be an angelic being with twelve wings and such, I think you've caught my drift by now.
  • This RP is rated T, which means mild violence, mild nudity and all that stuff, consider those into the designs as well, I don't want to have any tripplecunted giants made of rotting flesh and such.
  • Grammar and proper spelling, have it or you will be sacrificed to the almighty Disco Eyeball.
  • Mary Sues will get burned to death by said almighty Disco Eyeball, as it won't accept those as sacrifices.
  • You can only have one character to begin with, but when I say we have enough to start you can add some more characters.

Signup sheet:
Name: (Because your character needs a name)
Age: (Not important really, you can avoid this if you want your character to be mysterious)
Personality: (As said, this is important)
Appearance: (Might just be the most important part, if you can draw a picture then you're free to)
Biography: (Can also be avoided if you want to)
Other: (anything else?)

Accepted
Full Metal Cookies/Kathryn Davidson
Chaon/Jake
Kusarigamaitachi/Nigel
Francesc/Storm, Earth, and Fire
Dragon/Adva

Reserved
Tailsy

Last edited:
Name: Kathryn Davidson

Personality: To most people, Kate seems to be rather pleasant, sweet, and gentle, with a happy enough outlook on life, if a bit quiet. She will talk if spoken too, and will occasionally initiate a conversation on her own. She does not respond well to physical contact however, shrinking into herself or lashing out violently, depending on her mood. She can become defencive and violent if angered, and has to be physically restrained until she calms down, lest she harm someone. Despite this, most people find her most pleasant to talk to.

Deep inside, however, she harbours a deep hatred for other people, especially men. She doesn't trust a male to come within more than a few feet of her, and reacts with violence and verbal attacks if this occurs. She will then shrink into herself and enter a period of depression, refusing to speak to most others.

She has an almost unhealthy obsession with young children and babies, and she is convinced that she is, in fact, pregnant, despite the fact that her own baby died at the hands of her boyfriend almost a year ago.

Appearance:
Kate's actual body is rather short and chunky, with long, pitch-black hair and slightly slanted grey eyes. She has one of those motherly figures, with wide 'child bearing' hips and a large bust. Her skin has a dark tint to it. Her dream form is pretty much the same, if a bit thinner...until you come to her back.

A pair of wings, each about her height long, attached to her back with thick, ropey tubes of flesh as well as a joint attached to her shoulder blades. The skin is a mottled grey and completely devoid of feathers or the usual webbing in bat's wings. Twenty or thirty eyes dot each wing, each round and a deep red, with a slitted pupil. Several mouths with thin, sharp yellowed teeth are also prominent. In the place where the long flight feathers would be on a bird's wing, long, razor-sharp flesh-tearing teeth jut from off-pink gums set around the edges, and twitching red lips mark the boundary.

As well as the wings, two long, ropey tendrils sprout from her back, just under the wings, and end in a snapping mouth each, and a scattering of red eyes. These can move on their own, and will snap at anyone who Kate perceives as threatening her. Both the wings and snapping tendrils tend to pulse and twitch in a slightly nauseating way, and if anyone stares too long at them, and those who look too long can get dizzy and collapse, regaining consciousness a few minutes later. Even though she has wings, she is not capable of flight.

Imaaaage.

Biography: Born to a pretty normal family, Kate lived for about 13 years in relative peace and happiness, until her mother and father were killed in an accident, and her younger sister took ill and died not long after. Not wanting to be sent away to foster care, she ran away, running the streets and turning to theft and prostitution to support herself. She was taken in by a rather sweet seeming older man at the age of 16 (he was almost 25), and she fell for him, hard.

They were together for two years, during which time she was tortured, raped, beaten, and dehumanized by this man, who she had though she had loved. He did everything he could think of to make her feel like shit, and it worked; she started to hate herself, wanted to tear herself to bits, but she stayed with him, if only for one reason; the baby. She thought her child should have a father, so she stayed.

But then, on one of his routine beatings, he hit her too hard, and she miscarried, sending the girl into a rage. He killed her baby, her precious child, the only thing keeping her sane. After she got home from the hospital, she took a butcher knife to her sleeping boyfriend and hacked him to bits, and proceeded to cannibalize parts of his body.

Kate now lives in a nice mental hospital after the trial for killing her boyfriend.

Other: I'm a creep. Also damnit it's gunna be hard playing her.

Last edited:
Fshiiiiit.

Name: Adva

Personality: Adva's a tricky little fucker. She lies easily and has no problem with messing with people's heads with her appearance. She's pretty immature and will pull the stupidest pranks, just to laugh for a few minutes. She doesn't mind not having people to talk to, spending most of her time just playing. Any familiar or unfamiliar faces are greeted with friendly death threats.

It seems like nothing can make her unhappy, though just under the surface, Adva could explode at any second from keeping her emotions locked up. Talking to her about the real world is a bad idea too, since she's long believed that the Mindscape is the real world. It's hard to have a conversation with her, since her shapechanging can be distracting when she wants it to.

Appearance: Adva is always shifting. At first glance she may appear to be a short, black haired girl wearing a black hoodie and jeans, while if you blink she will appear as a tall woman wearing a bright blue overcoat, or something like that. Adva's always changing, male or female, young or old. The only way to tell who Adva is by looking at her eyes, bright green with slitted pupils and hands and arms, clawed and pure black to the elbow, making it seem like she's wearing ragged black gloves with sharp pieces of metal at the fingertips.

Her shape-changing can be controlled, though only to the point where she can decide the frequency of her changing, but not how she looks. When Adva looks at herself she sees herself as she was at fourteen years old, but with her black clawed hands.

Biography: When Adva was nine she went swimming and got stung by a box jellyfish. Oops. For those who don't know, the box jellyfish's venom is lethal even to humans, though luckily for Adva, she managed to survive, though she fell into a coma. Maybe five years later her parents took her off the ventilator that kept her alive, so by all means she's dead. She was taken off the ventilator at fourteen, and her mind hasn't developed at all since then.

It's been forty-two years since that, in which Adva's been existing in the Mindscape.

Other:

Last edited:
I'm really interested in this :o Reserve? I'm going out (lol @ irl D:) but I'll write a signup when I get back<3

All the RPs I've joined have fallen flat on their faces so far, and I'm curious to see how long this one will last.

Name: Jake Auntaire
Personality: An overall nice guy. He is considerate of others' feelings, and tries very hard not to hurt them. If he makes a friend he will be loyal to that friend forever, unless they ask him to do something that will get others hurt. He tried to make others laugh as much as possible, although he has a very strange sense of humor and rarely ever succeeds. He is very hard to get angry, and if you make fun of him (for whatever reason), he will stand/sit/lie there and take it. He is also somewhat intelligent.

One of his major flaws is that he is a tiny bit anti-social. If he is not called to a conversation, he will not go anywhere near it. He is also very shy and hardly ever speaks up. He avoids physical conflict whenever possible, but will fight if need be. He is also prone to random bouts of crying. There are many things that remind him of the wife and child he left behind.

The way he sees the world is, your either good or bad, there is no middle ground. He sees the world in total contrast.

Appearance: He has a humanoid body structure covered in a strange mix of white fur and feathers. He is 7 feet tall, and is somewhat fit. His mouth is covered by a black beak, although his mouth is filled with tiny, but still pointy, teeth. Extending from his back are two white feathered wings that can easily cover the length of his body. His eyes have gone completely black, often times making it as though they're not there. His ears are that of a bat, and also black. His arms have grown membranes that stretches from his hands to his chest, held tight by a bone protruding from his elbow, and are covered with white fur. His feet have become talons which would allow him to grip the ground if something was to try to knock him over. These are also black. He also has a fan of black tail feathers extending from his spine, which would help him steer if he wanted to fly.

Biography: Mostly unknown. The only known thing about his past is that he had a wife and child.

Other: I hope you know where I went with the appearance. Bat/bird. Black/white. You get the idea.

Name: Mikhail Alexander Patel
Personality: A seemingly nice person, he will always help out the individual. He donates to charities and such, and will actively seek out random people to 'help'. Often, these people are poor, homeless beggars that he takes home, and kills. He sees nothing wrong with this, especially considering the fact that the dead are significantly better off than the living.

If asked how he would help the world, he would say: "The only way to help the world is to destroy humanity." He desires nothing more than the end of the human race, including himself, because they are all "rude, arrogant and selfish to the core, turning a blind eye to the suffering of others, never helping anyone out without another motive behind it. Humanity kills, and that is all it does." He does not dream, and so does not know what a Nightmare is, though Nightmares would have a difficult time converting him into one because of it.

Often, however, because this almost never turns up in an ordinary situation, Mikhail seems very nice, kind, and selfless. This is merely a mask, however, as revealed by his appearance in the Mindscape.

Appearance: Appearing to be a human is the Mask Maker's specially, and Mikhail is an exceptional Mask Maker. The countenance he wears is always smiling, and it never blinks, something most people find disturbing. As long as Mikhail is wearing a mask, it is difficult, though not impossible, to discern both his true feelings and his true form. As with all Mask Makers, Mikhail is capable of talking to his mask, which then responds, something else that has a tendency to freak people out.

Mikhail's true form is both light and dark. On the right side, his skin is pitted, cracked, swollen, and scarred, while on the left it is fair, smooth, and supple. His wings, also, appear as such, as do his tails, all nine of them. The fifth tail, the middle one, is pure gold, while the right four are black and the left four are white. His right wing is bat-like, with veins that are difficult to discern, that carry the Darkness in his heart to them. His left wing is akin to that of a dove, and, under the feathers, golden veins carry his Light to each feather. Mikhail cannot fly unless both wings are one or the other, something that only happens(currently) while he is wearing a mask, and when he is wearing a mask, he does not have wings, so he cannot fly, yet.

Biography: I'm gonna fill this one out later, considering he has yet to talk to me.
Other: He has a bag filled with masks, all of them looking very human, but it's clear that they aren't.

Name: Nigel Sullivan

Personality: Nigel seems like a nice, stable person, which obviously means he is most emphatically not. He is friendly enough, and capable of holding a coherent conversation. He is usually calm and cheerful if he's around a particular person, although he can become violently angry.

Nigel can very quickly latch onto someone that seems vulnerable or weak, and he'll become obsessed with helping them achieve their goals (violently) or protecting them from what he perceives as danger. He'll follow them and obey their orders (if it suits his purposes), and he'll be generous in giving them gifts. He'll learn as much as he can about them in order to better make them happy. In return, he expects at least platonic love and some level of devotion, although he'll believe it's already there when it isn't. His delusions are of friendship rather than romance, although it can be hard for an observer to tell the difference.

Sometimes, he can naturally move on. Normally, others will try to force him away, and he'll respond with lethal violence. Then he'll fall into a depression until he finds someone else to latch onto, starting the process all over again.

Appearance: Nigel looks almost like a normal human from the front. He has wide black eyes and long, rough black hair. He is of average height for an adult human male, but he has soft features that make him look a bit like a child. He sports no scars or blemishes, and doesn't look like he'd be much in athletics or a fight. He's hunched over a bit, but still seems rather welcoming.

But this human likeness only extends to his head and neck, the front of his torso, the front of his legs, his inner arms, and his hands. From behind, he looks like a beast. Anything not particularly human is covered by shaggy fur that can instantly become spiky. His entire outer arm is hard with muscle and possibly armour, with spikes along his upper arms and near his elbow. Splitting off near the back of his wrist is a second hand that is more like a powerful paw, longer than his actual hands for greater effectiveness, with insanely long and sharp claws. The back of his legs, too, are more powerful, and the bottom of his feet are hard and rough. Even his hair is deadly, since he can control it and stab people as if with hundreds of needles, and it cannot be cut.

More bodily weapons sprout from his back. Arms grow from between his shoulders, splitting as if the bones were of bat wings, but each of those "fingers" ends in a clawed hand. Smaller "wings" grow down his back, shorter and with fewer branches and fingers each time, giving an overall effect of one large wing on each side. The biggest "wing" has a long tendril ending in a spike replacing the thumb-branch.

He has a muscular tail, as flexible as a snake's body and as long as he is tall. The fur ends close to the tip, where the rough skin gives way to a blade.

Other: Creep D: He wears clothes at the front. Details pending.

Christ why do everyone have wings I mean like really.

-Chaon accepted.
-Tsunami not accepted, to begin with, Mask Maker? You never even explained what that was, secondly, don't go choose things in the story yourself(no character is more or less resistant to Nightmares) and lastly I don't understand your character's appearance.
-And lastly Kusaidontrememberyourfullnameimeanseriouslyitsprettyfreakinglong accepted.

I'm gonna begin working on my own form, since I have nothing better to do.

Sorry... Mask Makers are people/dreamers/whatever you want to call them that use masks to hide their true face. As for his appearance... think Angel on left, Deamon on right. That about sums it up. Well, his true one. The mask has a rather creepy, overly large smile that never falters and stormy gray eyes that never break.

:c Your name is almost as long as mine, but I will accept that as a nickname as long as you spell it out completely each time.

Anyone else can use "Kusari" or "Kusa".

Name: Francesc Chauchat
Personality: Francesc (Fran informally) at least seems a fairly balanced person, but clearly not without his faults. While normally he enjoys talking with others, there are times where he instead prefers to sit and ponder alone, often accompanied with, sometimes panicked, mumbling. Francesc is also prone to panic at certain triggers, most notably sudden noises and rapid flashes in the dark. Basically suffers from posttraumatic stress disorder. Screaming randomly should be expected, though the longer he stays in the dream world, the less severe his symptoms get.

He tries his best to be nice and understanding to others, but isn't the best at growing close to people nowadays. While open to conversation, some may notice he can be emotionally numb. If he does form a lasting friendship, Francesc is quite loyal and selfless. If he doesn't, he'll try and avoid advancing the relationship, as Francesc would hate it if someone died or otherwise got harmed because of him.

Above all, though, Francesc abhors violence, having endured a lot himself. Occasionally, a small piece of conversation may drive him into a rant about the horrors of war and the tragic state of the world back then.

Appearance: A young man of average stature, Francesc looks quite weary. He is slender, sporting short dark brown hair under a steel helmet. His hazel eyes are usually fixed in the thousand-yard stare. His face is mottled with dirt, a few dried bloodstains, and is notably unshaven, usually wearing an equally weary expression. Francesc's left arm is mostly missing from just above the elbow down, there is a bloody skeletal arm in it's place. All over his body exist all sorts of little gunshot wounds and gashes, including a more noticeable one on his forehead, where one can see a bit of exposed bone, which leads one to believe he should've died at least twice over.

He wears a typical khaki drill uniform, consisting of a short-sleeved shirt and short, with a pair of black shoes and brown puttees. At this point, all of it is messy from dirt, mud, and blood. Slung around his back is a light machine gun.

Biography: Francesc Chauchat was a rather unremarkable soldier. He didn't exactly want to make a career out of the military, rather Francesc needed to support himself somehow and the military seemed like a convenient escape. The war began quite suddenly, not long after he joined, and unfortunately, he would be serving on the frontlines.

It wasn't a quick affair at all. His unit moved through all sorts of locales, and stormed all sorts of picturesque villages. More misfortune struck as he was placed under less than savory officers, and witnessed many wrongdoings, though he weaseled his way out of actually committing atrocities. What he did do, however, was survive, by doing his job, by killing. It was a terrifying experience as companions died, and were replaced by new companions, who proceeded to die. Friend and foe alike often begged for mercy after not quite fatal wounds, though Francesc never put people out of their misery.

As suddenly as it had began, though, it all ended. Francesc returned home, somehow, battered but somehow still breathing. Readjusting to civilian life has been difficult ever since, however, and the biggest thing that affects Francesc now isn't the flashbacks or nightmares or constant tension, it's the guilt of survival.

Sorry... Mask Makers are people/dreamers/whatever you want to call them that use masks to hide their true face. As for his appearance... think Angel on left, Deamon on right. That about sums it up. Well, his true one. The mask has a rather creepy, overly large smile that never falters and stormy gray eyes that never break.

..And you're still not allowed to create your own sub-classes or anything.

S,E,F accepted, although I feel you didn't push the design limits as much as you could, but still.

Alright... oh well. I'll try thinking of something for Mikhail later then. Meanwhile, I'll try to figure out a new character for this, if it's alright.

S,E,F accepted, although I feel you didn't push the design limits as much as you could, but still.

Figured you'd say something like that. You can tell how exotic and otherworldly my dreams usually are.

It was the first thing to come to my mind, but I got nothing as far as making it crazy.

I suppose you could also tell what my favorite sort of novel is.

Last edited:
Alrighty then, Dragon accepted.

But since your character has been living in the Mindscape for quite some time, unlike all the other ones, I have to change the planning a bit, not that it matters, but still. :D

Name: A picture of a cloud.

Personality: Silent at all times, Cloud is nevertheless interested in everything around it. It has a somewhat photographic memory: Cloud remembers nearly every detail, but it subconsciously embellishes events and qualities. It considers this 'artistic license'. It enjoys helping people and, rather obviously, painting.

Cloud can be rather childish at times, spiteful and over-reactive, and might even throw a spectacular tantrum if pushed too far. Cloud can be unpredictable in its emotions, irritated easily but also temporarily. It is easily decieved, having little understanding of deceit.

Appearance: Cloud is a slender, humanoid rainbow. It is always awash with shifting colors, changing with its mood and intent. In times of extreme grief, Cloud would turn washed-out, blank gray. It is nigh-impossible to guess Cloud's gender, as it has no face or, indeed, any defining features that would give away its gender. It glows slightly at all times.

Other: It understands simple language, but communicates entirely through pictures.

Back
Top Bottom