• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Basalt and Granite

Re: Pokémon Basalt and Granite

Yes, Coloursfall. I can do that. Sorry if I'm being rude, but from my perspective, you guys are being a little rude too, no offense. I will try, though. I will PM you the basic outline.

I'm sorry, but i don't see how we are being rude. We're asking you questions about a character. Seriously, this is how game development goes.

You're fine, Scootaloo. There were people that were being a little rude, but they dropped out of this thread. They were being, "You don't even know what you're doing." Or, "You don't have this entire thing planned out, so I'm not helping you."

You're fine, Scootaloo. There were people that were being a little rude, but they dropped out of this thread. They were being, "You don't even know what you're doing." Or, "You don't have this entire thing planned out, so I'm not helping you."

Ah. Well, if you need help with anything really in the game (except programming) I can help with art and characters.

except
we're trying to help by saying your plan for the rival makes no sense and you should change it
you're still trying to justify her when at this point it's just not working

Guys I know this is really super interesting to you but it actually seems really childish to nitpick at this kid's game that doesn't really affect any of your lives all that much.

Excuse us for trying to help them make their game better.

I would have killed to have people this willing to help me with a project when I was his age ever. Mohacastle been asking for help all over the forum for weeks now, and they're getting it. There's something in their game that is egregiously wrong and, should it be included in the game, will just serve to be extremely distracting, and all everyone is doing is trying to help them fix that problem. And yes, after they've asked for help it IS rude to just blow off everyone's attempts and then accuse everyone is rude for doing exactly what they asked them to do.

Improvement doesn't come from getting mindless buttpats and repeating "good job" over and over, no matter what one learns on Tumblr or Deviantart. And the faster they learn this lesson the sooner they can start making great things as opposed to mediocre things. We're asking questions, getting them to think things more thoroughly, and pointing out that some ideas they want to implement don't make sense, regardless of how much they try to defend them. That's not nitpicking, that's helping. Again, exactly what they asked us to do.

Age is not an excuse. I've seen 13 years olds turn out better stories than people twice their age. Mohac can do better than this, they just have to open themself up to other people who want to help them.

Last edited:

Excuse us for trying to help them make their game better.

I would have killed to have people this willing to help me with a project when I was his age.Mohacastle been asking for help all over the forum for weeks now, and they're getting it. There's something in their game that is egregiously wrong and, should it be included in the game, will just serve to be extremely distracting, and all everyone is doing is trying to help them fix that problem. And yes, after they've asked for help it IS rude to just blow off everyone's attempts and then accuse everyone is rude for doing exactly what they asked them to do.

Improvement doesn't come from getting mindless buttpats and repeating "good job" over and over, no matter what one learns on Tumblr or Deviantart. And the faster they learn this lesson the sooner they can start making great things as opposed to mediocre things. We're asking questions, getting them to think things more thoroughly, and pointing out that some ideas they want to implement don't make sense, regardless of how much they try to defend them. That's not nitpicking, that's helping. Again, exactly what they asked us to do.

?_? How do you think you are helping them improve if all you are doing is making them feel insulted and hurt? I mean, sure, maybe this is what you would have wanted/would want. Maybe they are asking for help. If your help is ending up making them feel hurt, it's not helpful at all and it'd probably be beneficial to just leave. You don't have to participate in this; it's not 'buttpats and repeating good job' or making them feel bad, those aren't the only two options.

Honestly I just don't see why you have to get so mean about a fake pokemon game.

ETA: also please add ETAs to your edits. :|

Also I don't think meanness is justified for any form of art really. If you're hurting the person you criticized, especially if they're just starting to get into that form of art, you're being counter-productive. Criticism should be helpful and not meant to tear the person down; when you take advantage of the fact that a person is new to the art they're showing, it's like asking them to stop making that art, or showing it. Why would you want that? Confidence builds you up, and criticism should not tear you down, it should help you grow stronger.

And being new to an art form has nothing to do with age.

Last edited:

?_? How do you think you are helping them improve if all you are doing is making them feel insulted and hurt? I mean, sure, maybe this is what you would have wanted/would want. Maybe they are asking for help. If your help is ending up making them feel hurt, it's not helpful at all and it'd probably be beneficial to just leave. You don't have to participate in this; it's not 'buttpats and repeating good job' or making them feel bad, those aren't the only two options.

Honestly I just don't see why you have to get so mean about a fake pokemon game.

I know I'm not trying to make him feel bad! In all honesty, he seems to have been getting angry more than the rest of us.

ETA: also please add ETAs to your edits. :|

Also I don't think meanness is justified for any form of art really. If you're hurting the person you criticized, especially if they're just starting to get into that form of art, you're being counter-productive. Criticism should be helpful and not meant to tear the person down; when you take advantage of the fact that a person is new to the art they're showing, it's like asking them to stop making that art, or showing it. Why would you want that? Confidence builds you up, and criticism should not tear you down, it should help you grow stronger.

And being new to an art form has nothing to do with age.

But we're... not being mean? Seriously, given the situation here everyone's been incredibly civil. All anyone here is done is state the obvious: A level 89 pokemon at the beginning of the game is not fair and makes no sense in any way. We're not trying to tear them down at all. We don't want them to quit or cancel their game. We're not even making fun of them. All people have been doing is trying to get them to rethink that decision because it's not a good one to make from any point of view.

I hate to say it but in this case, if they feel insulted or hurt because we're simply pointing out that their idea isn't going to work that's not our fault. Feelings are not the be-all and end-all of everything because they're not always justified.

I can help a little with sprites and character development, but I fail at pretty much everything else.

I can help a little with sprites and character development, but I fail at pretty much everything else.

Huzzah! Me too. Well not much with sprites but I'm good at artwork and character development.

Sunflower, kindly watch what you're saying. If you're not helping, please don't say anything else. I don't need anyone coulseling me on how to make a game. Please hep or leave. Pathos, I think you get it. Also, Absoul that would be great.

Also, Sunflower, if you looked, a Hopeless Boss Battle is quite common in games. So do a little research before you go accusing me of these things, please.

Last edited:

To be honest I don't really see why everyone has such a problem with this Rose character in principle. What's so inherently wrong with a battle against something super-strong that you're meant to lose? It happens in many games; just because it hasn't happened in a Pokémon game doesn't mean a fangame can't do it. And yes, it's entirely possible that a level 89 Pokémon that's grown up with this girl could love her even though she doesn't care about it, depending on the precise details of how the universe imagines Pokémon intelligence and thinking; it could essentially view her as a parent. Or, you know, it could be heartbroken after the loss of its trainer and latch onto his daughter who reminds it of him as a kind of replacement goldfish. Or any of a variety of other interesting psychological reasons.

I can't say I'm entirely convinced there are interesting psychological reasons behind it here, though, because Mohacastle's replies in this thread sound suspiciously like he's just making things up on the spot. So yes, I would suggest you try to think things through more clearly, but I do think people are being way nitpickier on this than they need to.

Also, the sheer volume of people here making nitpicky complaints about the same things is kind of suspicious. It's like, occasionally in the creative forums here everyone decides it would be fun to tell some kid how bad they are at whatever creative endeavor they're attempting, and more than suggesting ways to fix it or trying to help them realize the core of their vision in a more sensible way, it's just everyone picking apart the flaws in whatever they say. Constructive criticism is good, and nobody can kick people out of a thread for saying what they think civilly, but pile-ons like this are going to make people feel personally attacked even if nothing specific being said by anyone in particular is a personal attack per se.

Last edited:

Thank you. That's exactly what I've been trying to say. You just made it collective, which apparently makes it more sense.

It does sound like I'm making it up as I go, huh? Yeah, it does I guess. But rest assure I'm not. Despite what some people would like to say, I actually did spend more time on this character than anyone else- at least a week.

In all seriousness; if you really want to do this you'd be best off making it a ROM hack entirely. Creating any game entirely from scratch would be incredibly difficult. If you want, there are some resources that could definitely help in that regard.

I would help but people who would probably do a better job than me have already volunteered. Also I have no access to edit/play a rom hack :X

You can still help with the Pokedex, the quality of help is insignificant, we just need help.

Alright. Then if you ever need anything (from anyone, actually) just call.

Does anyone have any ideas for a villainous team leader? I'm starting to design those characters now, but I can't think of a nice, psychotic leader for the team, so... any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom