• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon events and memories

JohtoTimes

Pronoun
he/him
I was curious if any members of the forum ever attended a Pokémon event, or visited an official attraction that used to be around. For example, a Pokémon Center store, an in-person distribution event, or something else that was official. I was curious to hear your experiences of them!

Back in 2004 I attended an EON Ticket event distribution at my local games store. It was a fun experience but sadly I never had the opportunity to do anything like it again. In recent years I attended the Art Through the Ages event in the UK, where the local shopping mall was decorated in official Pokémon artwork! You had to track down all 151 pieces of artwork and report back to receive a certificate. It was the first thing I attended after the events of the COVID-19 pandemic, so it was quite nice to do that with two very good friends.

I think the only official Pokémon event I attended was a Pokémon Center popup in London in 2019. All I did was buy a beanie hat, some notebooks, a Vulpix plushie, and preordered Shield.

I wish I'd got there earlier so there was more variety left; one of the things they sold were framed posters that were a sort of tourism adverts for the different regions. I think the only one they had left by the time I got there was Kanto which was the most boring one, I would have liked to see what the Johto or Unova ones looked like at least.

In the end I felt like I only bought stuff because of the sunk cost fallacy, the cost being the hours I spend queueing for entry.

As for unofficial events, in one year in university (2013/14) I was part of a Pokémon Society which organised tournaments and things like that. One weekend they organised a gym challenge like in the game where the highest ranked people in the club got to be gym leaders and elite four members, and everyone else went to their different locations around the campus to challenge them. Unfortunately, I only managed to get one gym badge. I wore my team rocket cosplay which I made for a recent halloween party.

I have a lot of memories from that day. I got a random spotpass (or whatever it's called) challenge while I was waiting at one gym, we were both down to our last Pokémon and they sent out a level 5 Rattata and I was savvy enough to know about the FEAR strat, and my Pokémon luckly had a move that could counter it.

Back
Top Bottom