• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon nicknames.

And on Blue, I named all my Pokémon after memes(don't kill me...)

*hires some hobo wizard to cast an "Induce Ingrown Toes" spell instead* A fate worse than death...

Anyway... I can't remember a lot of my weirder nicknames from past games at the moment, but almost all of my Pokémon in Platinum are named after Dragonball Z characters... even most of the ones that aren't on my team:

Turtle (Grotle)
Yamcha (Psyduck)
Chiaotzu (Chimecho)
Chi-Chi (Pachirisu)
Kami (Rotom)
Trunks (Kirlia; going to be a Gallade eventually)
Piccolo (Meditite)
#19 (Bronzor)
BossRabbit (Marill)
#16 (Porygon... though the name would probably be a bit more appropriate for a Beldum/Metang/Metagross instead, I just couldn't think of anything to name the Porygon)
Broly (Rhyhorn)

Fortunately, I haven't seen a "Sparky", "Moonlight", "Blade", or "Blaze" on this thread yet.

My online battling team:

Hippowdon-
Omnom (Uh, have you seen how big that mouth is?)
Regice- Acheron (One of the four rivers in Hades, but oddly enough, not the one that freezes. That one is Cocytus, so this nickname could qualify as a (intentional) misnomer.)
Regirock- Tsade (A rather random name that's merely a letter in the Phonecian alphabet. Also a possible misnomer because Regirock's face has an H.)
Heatran- Ifrit (Named after the Djinn rather than the Final Fantasy monster)
Starmie- Ruby (Probably the most unoriginal of these names other than Ifrit, even though the gem in the center is actually pink. Again, possible misnomer.)
Dragonite/Absol (I switch between the two)- Dragonite/Mira (Transferred XD Dragonite before I could name it/ A normal name and translates to "he/she/it watches" in Spanish (in this case, she.) Also could be short for Mirai, a Japanese word for "future" or something, but I didn't intend to name it because of that.)

Others:

Swampert (Pt)- Brutus (A masculine-sounding traitor of Caesar)
Absol (Pt)- Cora (A somewhat mysterious-sounding girl name which was once used on one of my male Absols)
Staraptor (Pearl)- Scout
Staraptor (Pt)- Redbeak (Because of that red thing. It obviously looks like a beak.)
Uxie (Pt)- Sleepy
Azelf (Pt)- Emo (One of my friends commented on how cute and emo it looks)
Zapdos (XD to Pearl)- Shockra (Inspired from Shiekra, a famous roller coaster at Busch Gardens)
Zapdos (Leaf Green)- Shockira (Inspired by the resemblance between "Sheikra" and "Shakira," and how I call Sheikra "The Shakira")

Hypothetical nicknames:

Moltres (Pt)- Uno (Reversing the "Uno, Dos, Tres" pattern)
Zapdos (Pt)- Dos (He's in the middle, so that stays the same)
Articuno (Pt)- Cuatro (5 words... Uno, dos, cuatro, hit it!)

I have quite a lot of Pokemon that follow the Warriors books format of naming...

Flamewing the Charizard, Silverstream the Lugia, Moonshine the Umbreon etc...

Moonshine=Epic alcoholic Umbreon :D

The only ones of mine that I think of off the top of my head are Hooters the (female) Hoothoot and Mushu the Mudkip.

Admittedly Sylintnite (or something like that) the Psyduck is weird too, but I couldn't fit Silent Night :P Can't remember why the hell I wanted to name him that, because I've had Emerald for God knows how long...

Want more?

Kero the Snubbull
Mama Luigi the Mudkip
FFFFFUUUUU the Diglett
Lulz the Burmy
Pinky the Jigglypuff
Flame the Torchic
Trio the Dugtrio
nummi the Numel

So, as you can see from my second Trainer Card in my sig, I made an alternate team. Again, nicknames all around (except for that frigging PBR Electivire).

Ember the Infernape - I have this huge idea for a fanfic, and at one point, two main characters get a baby Chimchar. I guess Ember just stuck in my mind as a name for a small Fire Pokemon, even once it became an Infernape. (It was kinda funny while training this guy - "Ember learned Ember!" XD)
Elune the Gardevoir - Basically renamed my old Gardevoir after the moon goddess in World of Warcraft. It just sounded like a nice name to me.
Gore the Mamoswine - ... I kinda blanked out here. I just thought about what his tusks could do.
Hunter the Heracross - Blanked out again. I pulled out a Bugs of Alberta book that I have hanging around at home, flipped through to the Beetles section, and saw a picture of a fiery hunter beetle. Couldn't think of anything else, so I figured why not.

The other two are my Electivire (as mentioned above) and Skarmory (listed him on my last post - name's Titan, short for Titanium). In addition, shortly before making the new team, I got a Hippowdon that I named Tank, for two reasons - his bulkiness (I've seen him take an Explosion with more than half health), and the fact that my brother was watching Surf's Up next to me at the time.

Here's what I got:

Hestia the Salamence
Volt the Manectric
Rizzo the Charizard
Drazirahc the Charizard
Gigi the Charizard
Queen the Tyranitar
Vampiress the Gliscor
Luna the Dragonite
Grus the Garchomp
Antares the Typhlosion
Cassiopeia the Zangoose
Roxane the Rampardos
Gladys the Fearow
Gator the Feraligatr
Mamos the Mamoswine
DuskyBoy the Dusknoir
Mustela the Skuntank
Vire the Electivire
Jumper the Sceptile
Dalton the Armaldo
Rio the Lucario
Lucifer the Lucario
Mrs. Walker the Marowak
MiniWalker the Cubone
MetalHead the Aron
Crow the Honchkrow
Cupid the Altaria (hatched on valentine's day)
Squishy the Floatzel
Neptune the Flotzel
Kabu-Kabu the Kabutops

I'll post the rest later -_-;

My current team members on Platinum all have nicknames related to Greek Mythology (except Luxray; he'll be switched out when I catch an Electabuzz):
Demeter the Torterra (goddess of agriculture)
Psyche the Gardevoir (can't remember what she did but her name sounds like psychic)
Poseidon the Vaporeon (god of the seas)
Cerebus the Houndoom (Hades' three-headed pet hellhound)
Zeus the Electabuzz (god of thunder; not caught yet)
I still have a sixth place to fill.

I always nickname my HM Slaves "HM Slave." Haha.

Haha on Sapphire (my old one :( it's now deleted) I named the pokémon with the worst puns in the world. It's a very long list. An exception is Ice Cream the Alakazam (because of the spoons haha). The only one I can remember is Wok Buffet the Wobbuffet (isn't wok some type of japanese food?).

edit: Because of my obsession with French, I've named things by that in Platinum. My Luxray is Tonnerre (French for thunder) and I'm going to name my Kadabra Connaisance (French for knowledge) because Connaître (to know) can't be typed because of the accent. :( Will probably nickname my Staraptor / Staravia either Voler (to fly) or L'oiseau (the bird).
I usually nickname legendaries by the version for which they are the mascot (e.g. Groudon will be Ruby and Giratina will be Platinum; except for Ho-Oh and Lugia, they would be Aurum and Argentum, Latin for gold and silver respectively). For the legendary trios (and Lati@s), I name them by what makes them unique within the trio and what the trio has in common (e.g., Moltres would be Fire Bird and Azelf would be Blue Pixie).

Last edited:
I nicknamed my Togepi in Platinum 'Omlette' and my Prinplup is named "Penguish"

Also, all of my legendaries in Diamond is the name of their species backwards. Dialga is Aglaid and so on.

*Gets DS*
*Opens PC Box*

In Diamond:

Alphonse the STEELIX
Edward the PICHU (FMA joke)
Velosorapt the SNEASEL
Theta Sigma the DIALGA
Sweetsound the KRICKETUNE
Frosttop the SNOVER
Flametail the RAPIDASH
Nate the UMBREON (named after a friend)
Shockstar the LUXRAY
Tsume the MACHAMP
Strongarm the MACHOKE
Rosethorn the BUDEW
Hermione the NOCTOWL (hey, it's better than Hedwig)
Wetneck the FLOATZEL
Crush the GASTRODON [western] (Named after the turtle from Finding Nemo)
Rube the TENTACRUEL (After Rube from Dead Like Me)
Joy the HAPPINY (*Shot*)
Cottonear the BUNEARY (Cottontail seemed too obvious)
Bobtail the MARILL
Toxic the Stunky
Holly the Clefairy (After Captin Holly Short of the LEPrecon unit.)
Bambi the GIRAFARIG (Because there are no Stantler in D/P)
Pertwee the FINNEON (after Jon Pertwee, the Third Doctor)
Sonicfang the ZUBAT
Forgotten the DRIFLOON (no idea)
Snapjaw the CARNIVINE
Pebbles the GRAVELER (really started to run out of ideas at this point)
Each UNOWN after its consecutive letter.
Manicgod the PSYDUCK (because Sheogorath wouldn't fit)
Dampwing the WINGULL
Blueberry the LUCARIO (so named as a RIOLU)
Muddie the BARBOACH
Godlychime the CHINGLING
NotThere the MIME JR.
Gyrocone the PINECO
Reefback the SHELLOS [easern]
Devilwind the GHASTLY (also have the in-game traded Gaspar)
Hexsphere the BRONZOR
Sparky the ROTOM (my sister insisted)
Pudge the GOLDEEN (If you don't get it, you suck)
Willowsilk the SILCOON
Silky the SILCOON
Flit the WURMPLE [female]
Venomprong the WURMPLE [male] (I made the mistake of putting Venomprong and my sister's WURMPLE, a female, in the day-care centre. I also have two WURMPLE eggs. I shouldn't have checked on them so often...)
Dinodental the BIDOOF (because it's Latin for "great teeth")
Wise-Eye the HOOTHOOT
Spectacle the BIBAREL
Rattle the KRICKETOT
Rose Tyler the ROSELIA (yes, I went there)
Sparktail the PACHIRISU
And finally, after all ideas had fizzled out, Cranidos the CRANIDOS.

In Emerald, which I've only just started out in, I decided to have a theme. If you recognise every single name, you are too awesome for words.

Susan the MARSHTOMP
Ian the DUSTOX
Katarina the WINGULL
Sara the TAILLOW
Harry the MARILL
Vicky the BEAUTIFLY
Turlough the SLAKOTH
Barbara the ZUBAT
Polly the TENTACOOL
Victoria the GEODUDE
Jamie the RALTS
Adam the MAGIKARP
Dodo the WHISMUR
Liz the ODDISH
Mickey the SABLEYE
Duggan the GULPIN
Zoe the ARON
Jack the MAKUHITA
Ben the LOMBRE
Steven the ZIGZAGOON
Adric the Shroomish
K-9 the MIGHTYENA

Ianto the PLUSLE and Jones the MINUN
Owen the ELECTRIKE

So, yeah, I had some good ideas, but then I lost it...

Susan the MARSHTOMP
Ian the DUSTOX
Katarina the WINGULL
Sara the TAILLOW
Harry the MARILL
Vicky the BEAUTIFLY
Turlough the SLAKOTH
Barbara the ZUBAT
Polly the TENTACOOL
Victoria the GEODUDE
Jamie the RALTS
Adam the MAGIKARP
Dodo the WHISMUR
Liz the ODDISH
Mickey the SABLEYE
Duggan the GULPIN
Zoe the ARON
Jack the MAKUHITA
Ben the LOMBRE
Steven the ZIGZAGOON
Adric the Shroomish
K-9 the MIGHTYENA

Ianto the PLUSLE and Jones the MINUN
Owen the ELECTRIKE

So, yeah, I had some good ideas, but then I lost it...

You my friend, are amazing.
I shall never look at Shroomish the same way ever again.

NO! shelgon
NO poochyena
DISHONESTY crobat
Lagann luxio
...Bro sandslash
VIRAL gabite
MISERY lapras
Spiral jolteon

I usually give my Pokemon real names that start with the first letter of their Pokemon name. Tyler the Torterra, Samantha the Staravia, Michael jr the Machop, DING!!!!!! The Bronzor (I couldn't resist the opportunity).

I named a lot of my pokemon dumb names, especially on XD. I think I named my hitmonchan PUNCH. (On XD, all my pokemon's names were all caps) But then again, I have had some good names, like Rixquenik (pikachu) and Tarana (raticate). Most of my good names are on FireRed.

Last edited:
Hee hee. I remember calling a Bronzor Plinkplink. But that's all I can remember that I haven't said yet.

I'm also thinking of naming a Mankey "Glurgh," after the creature in Spore XD

I have a Houndoom named Mrs O'Leary. Well, actually MrsO'Leary because of space limits, but.. yeah. Anyone get the reference? :D
Sapphire the Charizard
Ursula the Purugly
Josherella the Scyther
And Mr Buckets the Sudowoodoo. He wears a top hat!

There are others, but those are some of my favorites.

i tried name all of my pearl team after the six main characters of azumanga daioh. empoleon was chiyo; mismagius was sakaki. i couldn't make any others work, though i thought yomi the rapidash would have been cool.

Lemee see if I can remember any of my pogeyman names... These span the entire course of my pokemon playing days, from Blue forward:

Jr. the Blastoise (First pokemon ever. :3)
Katana the Blaziken
Kai the Mawile
Athena the (female) Gardevoir
Xanadu the (male) Gardevoir
Darude the Tyranitar
Scooter the Swampert
Pop Tart the Latias
Wheelie the Donphan
Peach the Blissey
Snowball the Grumpig
Salsa the Infernape
Kumatora the Azelf
Lucas and Noel the Vaporeons
Claus the Jolteon
Trogdor the shiny Salamence
Wonderboy the Jirachi
Nastyman the (not-shiny) Salamence
Hephaestus the Heatran
TIME PARADOX the Celebi

More random nicknames... first, legendaries:

Dialga (D): Luxord
Dialga (Pt): Titanus
Palkia: Palooka
Giratina (D): Humongous
Giratina (Pt): Giratina (yeah, I just de-CAPS'ed the name for this one.)
Uxie (both): Naminé
Azelf (D): Saix
Azelf (Pt): Xehanort
Mesprit (D): Freeg
Mesprit (Pt): Kaioshin
Cresselia (D): Katie
Cresselia (Pt): Weed Fairy (this is what happens when I can't think of a name and let my little sister name a Pokémon instead.)
Heatran (D): Oprah
Heatran (Pt): Shaq-Fu
Articuno (LG): ColdTurkey
Articuno (Pt): Freeza
Zapdos (LG, 1): Mr. Zzzter
Zapdos (LG, 2): Zapatos
Zapdos (Pt): Duracell
Moltres (LG, 1): Furnace
Moltres (LG, 2): KFC
Moltres (Pt): ShakeNBake
Mewtwo: Mewtwo (just de-CAPS'ed, again)
Entei: Sam
Suicune: Shnubbakin (which I actually don't have anymore... I traded him on the GTS for another Suicune named "ポッポ". Yes, some Japanese guy essentially named his Suicune "Pidgey".)
Latios: Itsuki
Kyogre: P.Diddy
Groudon: Biggie
Rayquaza: Puffin'
Regirock: Stoner (another one I no longer have; traded to someone for a Ho-Oh. I did eventually get another Regirock, but it's not nicknamed... just Japanese.)
Regice: Fridge
Registeel: HeavyMetal
Regigigas: Reggie
Phione: Ruto

...and then some random ones from my boxes in Diamond.

Smeargle: Splunge
Furret: Frodo
Porygon-Z: Google
Metagross: Mr. Rogers
Bronzor: Mr.Plate
Togepi: Hannibal
Dusclops: BubbaHotep
Magmar: Conan
Onix: Footlong
Garchomp: Bible (named when it was still a Gible, of course)
Aggron: O'Chunks
Wailord: WHAAAAALE!
Sharpedo: Jaws
Mantine: Steve
Omastar: Cthulhu
Cloyster: Eminem
Luvdisc: Useless
Dragonite: Yenrabette
Flygon: Excedrin (...because trying to catch a Trapinch with the Poké Radar in that damn sandstorm gave me a headache.)
Wingull: Sea Zubat
Mamoswine: Pumbaa
Froslass: Finmark
Lickitung: Schlurp!
Blissey: Chubbers
Kricketune: Mustachio
Dodrio: Fluffy
Snorlax: Gordo
Hitmonchan: CapnFalcon
Gligar: Scudder
Plusle: Plarple
Minun: Munmun
Pachirisu: Squirlachu
Volbeat: Mofofo
Illumise: Foofoofoo (these two were named after what they sound like. Heh...)
Pinsir: Jesus
Sudowoodo: Woody
Sunflora: Ensalada

Back
Top Bottom