• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon X/Y

As much as I hated the idea of a new typing at first, it might actually balance out the games a bit. With Poison- and Steel-type being rather terrible attacking types as is, they could now be a lot better. And now Dragon-type has another weakness.

Aside from Sylveon, Gardevoir, Jigglypuff, and Marill, what other Pokémon are going to be Fairy-type? Clefairy? (Hopefully) Snubbull? Mawile?

I am literally making chocking sounds.

Other groups confirmed Rhyhorn riding, roller blade grinding, and character customization. Also trading outside of Centers, and better Bonds result in more critical hits and dodging.

EDIT: One save file, as usual. They're working on importing Pokémon, but the DS/3DS communications barrier is "slightly tricky". They're "exploring the possibilities" of DLC.

EDIT2: “Flow of battles - seeing opponent’s team ahead of time - is the same as before. You can select the song for the battle though.” *gross chocking sounds*

“Q: Riding Pokemon - benefits? Diff from bike? A: Sounds like you can ‘borrow’ Pokemon to traverse to destinations. Can help open paths too.”

EDIT3: Aaaand trailer 3.

Last edited:
In the trailer that shows Pokémon-amie, Pikachu is saying its name rather than doing its cry from the games. But is that just for the trailer or will it be in the actual games?

More new Pokémon in CoroCoro, guys.

There's a fire/normal lion, the prevolutions to the butterfly Pokémon, and a new pure fairy-type.

Also, four rivals. It's three new guys and the opposite gender PC. Also maybe gym leaders?

BMjw7dFCAAAsBYJ.jpg:large

PKMNxyC.jpg

PKMNxyB.jpg

vlgame064690_zpsbcac27f7.jpg~original

corocoro6131.jpg

So yeah.

;_; the fire lion, first pokemon this gen I REALLY WANT (other than the legends). bb come to meeeeee.

Firetalon is the worst name of any pokemon ever though. Really. Worst. And don't give me 'muk and grimer!! seel!!' no. Those are at least spelled different than actual words. 9_9 uhg.

Rhyhorn in general has always been something of a favorite of mine, so riding one around is awesome. Also riding Pokemon are borrowed, apparently, so I won't have to limit my party to all of the stuff I really want to ride around on. Curious as to whether or not I can still ride my own Pokemon, because Gogoat still looks awesome to me.

The Fairy type excites me vaguely, it's nice to see Gardevoir get something that makes it superior to Gallade by any means (barring individual aesthetic preferences). Wrapping my head around what looks to be a fair amount of old Pokemon getting a new type, and therefore new weaknesses/resistances, is going to take a while, but I think I can manage. Sky battles look interesting, but I hope there's something special about them other than a limitation on the usable Pokemon. I like the idea of Horde Battles as well, adds a bigger challenge to level grinding.

As far as the new Pokemon go, the butterfly doesn't excite me all that much. Noivern looks really cool, even if it is just another Dragon/Flying type; the idea of it inhabiting caves makes me wonder if, with its slight downgrade, Dragon will be a more common type? Skrelp appeals to me very much, I don't really know why. Clauncher also looks really slick, and mantis shrimp Pokemon yesssssss

The lion cub looks too derpy for me. I like that Normal is getting more type pairings, but eh. The pure Fairy type is cool, I didn't notice that it wasn't attached to the flower at first but it's a neat design. Especially since it gets more plants to cling onto. Serebii inaccurately says it is the smallest Pokemon, when Joltik is also 4" tall (correct me if I'm wrong here)

Fletchling didn't really inspire awe in me to begin with, it just looked /too/ minimalist for my tastes. Now Talonflame, which already doesn't sit well with me as a name, looks way too large and...idk, realistic? to have evolved straight from Fletchling. I'm hoping there's a middle stage we're not aware of or something.

Fennekin is still my least favorite starter aesthetically, but I already want to use Gogoat (because Rock Slide! Its movepool hopefully doesn't completely suck!) and either Clauncher or Skrelp, which only leaves Fennekin unless I want type overlap which I don't. Though I did this with BW as well, picked my team entirely beforehand with the handful of revealed Pokemon and ended up using something completely different.

;_; the fire lion, first pokemon this gen I REALLY WANT (other than the legends). bb come to meeeeee.

Firetalon is the worst name of any pokemon ever though. Really. Worst. And don't give me 'muk and grimer!! seel!!' no. Those are at least spelled different than actual words. 9_9 uhg.
Yeah no "Persian" is the worst name of any pokémon ever. That's barely a step up from just calling it "Cat."

Skrelp.
It's a Seadra/Medicham Love Child.

Anyway, Clauncher looks... surpisingly captivating.

But I still want my Espurr dammit. I'm having high hopes about Pokebeach being right.

Skrelp is adorable, in a Dunsparce kinda way. May use it.

HELLZ YEAH MANTIS SHRIMP POKEMON (Or pistol shrimp, which is equally cool).

Talonflame is the best name. It even rhymes! (But it does look sweet. Hoping Fletchling has a third evo, though, so it doesn't end up with that lame name (hey, that also rhymed))

Lion looks too much like Shinx. Meh.

The fairy is cute. 'Nuff said. (It's weird it isn't a Grass-type, though)

I like the Bugs too. Then again, I usually like butterfly/moth Pokemon (except Mothim who is a dork).

omg i just saw the new trailer and i am crying and MD is telling me I'm a dumb loser but no help

you guys there were like five houndour??? against one pokemon?? sky battles??? aaaa

There were leaks about a Fairy-type a while ago from a source that predicted a whole bunch of things and is highly likely to be accurate; they said that Fairy is super effective against Dragon and Dark, immune to Dragon, weak to Steel and Poison, and not very effective against Fire.

Well, that's kind of disappointing if it's true. Immunity to Dragon just screams "another type that only exists to balance out an overpowered type," just like Dark was. At least both of the weaknesses make sense this time around, though.

why is it bad! what makes a "good" type! I mean, "fire"? "dark"? both ice and water? why are other types great? I mean, maybe you want things to feel more like elements or constituents?? but uhhhhh dragon is at least more interesting than "a natural phenomenon"... what do you want!!

Dark is not something I consider a good type. Neither is Dragon. Fairy is a bad type for a mixture of the same reasons why Dragon and Dark are bad types... it's way too narrow of a type (based on a specific mythical critter that doesn't have very many "elemental rock-paper-scissors" defining features, just like Dragon), it seemingly exists only to counter the power of an already-existing type (just like Dark), and it feels like it was something tacked on at the last second (like both Dark and Dragon.)

"Why have both ice and water?" is just silly. I typed out a whole response on why, but then realized it was a waste of time and deleted it, so this is all you get on that subject.

The vaguely-defined concept of "Dragon" is "more interesting" than hurricanes, tornadoes, lightning, volcanoes, and earthquakes? Maybe in the same way that a Giant type or a Goblin type or an Elf type (or a Fairy type, for that matter!) would be "interesting."
I wouldn't call any of those type possibilities "interesting"... more like "unnecessary" and "why is this a type?", maybe even a little bit "boring" or "stupid." The idea of giving a mythical creature its own type even though the creatures themselves are so varied that they don't have a really well-defined set of features to base a type around just bothers me. Every scaly/furry monster (with or without wings or even legs, living on land or in water, in all kinds of climates) and its mother has been called a dragon at some point in history. Dragons are so varied and have so few defining features that apply across all (or at least most) of them that Dragon as a type doesn't work very well.

Like I said before, though, Fairy is not the "worst case scenario" of what a new type could be. There's a ton of worse types they could've added (Light for example, or any number of other horrible fan-made types that have popped up over the years.) Fairy might at least turn out to be a better type than Dragon (the tacked-on-at-the-last-minute type) or Dark (the poorly-defined "only exists to counter Psychic" type.) At least the mythological concept of fairies does have one "Pokémon-like" weakness that's pretty consistent (vulnerability to iron = Steel weakness), and Poison weakness makes sense too (Fairies as a mythical creature concept often associated with nature, which tends to suffer from an abundance of pollution, which several Poison-types are associated with.) Though if the "immunity to Dragon" rumor ends up being true, it will seem dangerously close to Dark on the "type only exists to counter an overpowered type from past games" thing.

Also, questions do not end with a string of exclamation marks, no matter how loud you're screaming them at strangers over the Internet.

In the trailer that shows Pokémon-amie, Pikachu is saying its name rather than doing its cry from the games. But is that just for the trailer or will it be in the actual games?

Oh crap, how did I not notice that?? Guess I must have had my volume set pretty low, or off, when I watched that trailer... seriously hoping that they're not going all anime-voices on us for the actual games, that would be one of the worst changes they could possibly make.

(Seriously Nintendo, I'll forgive you for Fairy type in a heartbeat if you just keep the anime Pokémon voices out of the games.)

EDIT: Watching the trailer again... it seems to only be used for Pikachu, while the rest are still normal. Okay, that's not too bad, then. Not much different from what Yellow did anyway. I can tolerate that if they limit it to JUST Pikachu, but if the anime voices start showing up for others (or the regular game cries get replaced entirely) then that'll be the point where I have to say "no more Pokémon games for me." (Wow... never thought I'd be saying that, even as a hypothetical "if they do this" possibility...)

Fortunately, the anime's voices rearing their ugly heads in my games and the whole Fairy mess are pretty much the only things from the trailers so far that I've had any real problem with. Along with the really ugly trainer graphics outside of battle, but that's nothing new (I've hated the humans' out-of-battle sprites ever since D/P.) Sky battles seem kind of unnecessary but okay, Pokémon-Amie has a name so cheesy that it would kill a roomful of lactose-intolerant people but the idea itself isn't bad (and it'd be nice if the "happiness" evolutions depended more on stuff like this than just winning battles and using items a lot like before), Pokémon hordes and riding Pokémon are both pretty great ideas, and none of the new Pokémon really stand out to me as bad ideas so far, aside from the usual "they must be running out of good English names" issue with some of them (though it's kind of troubling that it seems like they're throwing Normal as a second type out there so freely now, considering that Normal/_____ has only been for birds and a few other special cases before.)

Last edited:
Well, you make the Fairy-type sound like they're all a bunch of pixies floating around. I mean, the Fairy Egg Group isn't all tiaras and butterfly wings.

I think in this case, fairies aren't as much of Tinker Bell as it is the embodiment of magic. I think Fairy could be thought of as sort of a Magic Type.

Also, what's wrong with girly type? Yes, the Pokèmon seen so far don't have much competitive use, but of course Game Freak will add a couple of really strong Fairy types. Hell, outside of Faries just look at Pokèmon like Lilligant. Its design is heavily based off of Princess Peach - it's also one of the best grass types with killer Sp. Atk, Butterfly Dance, and Own Tempo Petal Dance.

Also, why would anime cries be enough to break the game for you? It's such a minor detail. I'd rather have those than 8-bit screeches next to more advanced DS cries.

Back
Top Bottom