• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress Post Apocalypse Story

Erindor the Espeon

How do you do? Pleased to meet you. I'm Erindor.
After my poor last attempt at writing an unoriginal story (You could probably find it somewhere here, many pages back) I decided to come up with something totally original. Here's what I came up with.

Post Apocalypse Background:
The people who survived the Final War (WWIII) had to take extreme measures to survive. Right before the war, geneticists in England discovered how to safely change a human’s DNA. It was therefore plausible to not only make superhumans, but hybrids. Seeing that the only way to survive would be to give themselves the advantage, humans split off into separate groups.

There were those who thought that in a wasteland, reptilian would be the smartest choice. Their group consists of the poisonous lizards, such as the gila monster, the snakelike people in only fangs and heat sensing, and snakelike in neck, head, and tail. Some actually do have scales, depending on their personal choice. They believe it works as a natural armor. The Reptilian group is known as the most troublemaking.

Next is the canine group. All people who became part dog, wolf, or other dog-like creatures (fox, etc.) are in here. They generally have a longer face (snout) teeth, great tracking skills and sense of smell. Good hearing as well.

Another is the Avian group. These are the humans that became part bird. They have great eyesight, some have taloned feet, and wings, which either replace their arms or are on their back.

Fourthly, there is the Feline group. They have retractable claws, tails for balance, can climb trees, have cat ears with extremely good hearing, night vision, and sharp teeth.

The fifth group are the superhumans. These are the people that still wanted to retain their humanity, but realized the cost of not strengthening themselves. They have exceptional strength compared to a normal human, better sight, hearing, speed, etc.

The last group are the purists. These are the humans who did not have anything done to their genes. They live in a secluded fortress, and all the other groups have agreed not to harm them. The main reason being that the purists are made up mostly of doctors and technicians, and without them, the medicine and technological advances would slow to an extreme.

Any other survivors are hermits, usually pure humans. There are also those who had their genes mutated by radiation. The radiation mutants are usually extremely violent and feral. It is also predicted that there may be unknown families or small colonies of people. (When I say predicted, of course there will be.)

Basic plot: Erindor is a seemingly normal boy, except that he has a special way with anything electric. One day he discovers that he has the ability to talk and manipulate technology, especially anything computer oriented. He hides this ability, hoping no one will take any notice. But when an imbalance of power shows up favoring the troublesome Reptilian Tribe, he decides that he should do something about it. But what he uncovers is beyond any Tribal feud. He begins a journey with one member from each of the other tribes to stop a coming evil. Before it grows too late.

The main characters that go on the quest all have special abilities that they’ve learned, but they aren’t the only ones. They’ll meet others who have their own special powers. Good and bad.

Character Descriptions:

Erindor Striker: A 15 year old boy from the Feline Tribe, Erindor has always had a way with technology. At age 8 he could take apart a rifle and reassemble it with no instructions or trouble. While working on a transmitter one day, he realized he could speak with and control technology. (It came through puberty, unless I can think of something cooler.) By speaking with the transmitter, Erindor evolved it until it became an extremely powerful computer headpiece. (This will happen in the book) This special ability is called Technokinesis.

The Headpiece: (Not a character, though it does speak, but I need a description)
This headpiece wraps around Erindor’s head, right above his right eye. The transmitter/antenna is on the right side of his head, and the screen-eyepiece is on the left. The screen-eyepiece rests as far away from his eye as a lens from a pair of glasses would. It can retract to his temple, pointing vertically rather than horizontally as it does in use.

Commander Striker: Erindor’s father, Larn, is the leader of the strike force for the Feline Tribe. He is known for his military prowess and is a little disappointed Erindor doesn’t want to follow his steps. Although he grieves for his wife who died in a skirmish against the Canine Tribe, he’s moved on and has become even more withdrawn and battle hardened. First character you meet in the book. Aged 39.

Lydia Dawnstalk: A girl from the Avian Tribe. She’s part owl, and is rather quiet, preferring to be a silent striker. However, if riled, she will leave the offender either in an extreme amount of pain, or wondering how they just got so easily destroyed in a battle of wits. Her wings are on her back, as opposed to replacing her arms. Her special ability is Foresight, which isn’t really seeing the future but rather the ability to predict outcomes with uncanny accuracy. Aged 15.

Aether Soulblaze: A wolf boy from the Canine Tribe. A dark, foreboding character, who easily unsettles people just with his presence. The special ability he learns focuses on this power, known as Disturbance. It can give him the upper hand in persuading, or distract guards and the like. He’s a bit grim, focusing on cold hard reality. Not exactly pessimistic, but realistic. Age 16

Aaron Ponder: A snake boy from the Reptillian Tribe. He has heat sensing, venomous fangs, and is quick to strike, just like the animal he represents. His special ability is Death Gaze, which gives him the power to hypnotize anyone as long as they maintain eye contact with his reptilian eyes. Age 14

Acknowledged Problems or Questionable choices:

When naming the main character Erindor, I’m not trying to make a Mary-Sue. Erindor is simply my username for everything, and I have planned ever since I had the desire to write a book to name the main character as such.

Erindor is 15, relatively close to my age. I make him that because that’s the age group I’m writing for, as well as the age group I have experience with.

The Feline Tribe’s claws spring out from between their knuckles. I know many of you are thinking Wolverine and copyrights, but I seriously cannot think of an alternative.

Yes, I know I used “The Commander” and “The soldier/enemy/foe” too often. I’ll edit that later.

Mary-Sue Preventors:

Erindor, being part cat, spits (hisses, cat aggressiveness) at those he considers threats or who annoy him. I actually got this idea from a Mary-Sue test I took.

Erindor, while being a genius when it comes to technology, isn’t all that great of a fighter, and doesn’t have a lot of social skills.

Seriously, when fighting he gets destroyed.

Prologue

The very air seemed disturbed. The waves of heat slowly rising over the wasteland gave the rocky pass a sense of illusion. A lizard sensed the uneasiness and scrambled into the shade of its den.

Suddenly, a movement so quick it was almost undetectable. A man dressed in combat gear ran around to the protection of a boulder where the rest of his force was waiting. They acknowledge the commander’s appearance with only a quick nod. He pointed to two of his men, and thrust his thumb back, signaling “Cover Me”. He crept forward to the very edge of the boulder, and pulled out a small metal sphere. He pressed a button, and the sphere expanded to the size of a tennis ball. He paused for a moment before pressing the second button. He threw the ball into the clearing. His tail twitched in anticipation.

“BOOM-SSSSSSS” The grenade split itself in two with a small explosion. Each piece flew about five feet away, and began giving off a red smoke. “Get ‘em boys.” The commander said. He and his men ran out into the clearing behind the ten foot wall of smoke. The second they ran through the smoke, all Hell broke loose. A bullet flew by the commander’s head, the razor sharp blades ripping off a chunk of hair as it went. He returned fire with his dual pistols.

An enemy soldier ran up to contend with the commander, a knife sliding out of his gauntlet as he ran. He slashed out with lightning speed. The commander blocked it with his right arm, smashing the enemy’s chin with an uppercut from his left. While the soldier was still reeling, the commander’s claws shot out from between his knuckles. He punched with his right, the claws cutting deep gouges into the foe’s cheek, puncturing all the way through. The soldier dropped to the ground, stunned.

Hearing another attacker from behind, the commander whirled out his leg. It caught the opponent in the gut, sending him flying backwards. The commander perused the enemy, pulling out his pistol in the process. He blasted a shot which the enemy dodged, leaping to his feet. He knocked the gun out of the commander’s hand, landing a kick of his own on his chest. There was an audible crack, signifying that at least one rib broke. The commander fell down, gasping in pain. The soldier stalked forward with a sense of victory. The commander grabbed some dirt and threw it into the soldiers eyes. It hissed in pain. The commander made one last futile attempt. He picked up a small stone, and threw it at the enemy’s head. It blocked it easily.

The soldier grabbed the commander by the arms, lifting him up. After observing him for a quick moment, he struck the commander’s neck, sinking his fangs in. The commander yelled out in pain, as the enemy dropped him to the ground. The commander could already feel the venom coursing through his body. The last thing he saw before he blacked out was the slitted, unforgiving eye of the assailant.

Oh, and feel free to comment.

Last edited:
Chapter 1

“Erindor Striker, please report to the hospital wing. Erindor Striker.” Erindor looked up to the teacher who was giving a lecture on the causes of the Final War. Exasperated, he nodded, signaling it was okay to go. The class sighed, wishing they were the ones chosen. As Erindor walked out of the room, he flicked his tail goodbye to his friend Marx Quickrage, who nodded in return.

As he walked through the complex, Erindor watched a normal day’s life go by. Soldiers patrolled the camp, cheerfully chatting with one another. Kids, though the other Tribes teasingly called them kits, play fought with their claws sheathed. Farmers maintained the automated growing systems, checking for unusual radiation levels. Privates did the bidding of their superiors, and trained for battle otherwise. All in all, a normal day.

Erindor walked past the market place, where there seemed to be an unusual commotion. His feline ears swiveled to discern the center of attention, and headed toward it.

A sleek hovercraft car was lazily going through a part the crowd had made. The sun glinted off the symbol on the side of the car. A hand holding a double helix. “The Purists,” Erindor recalled.

It stopped outside the town square. A well-built man stepped out of the passenger’s side of the car, wearing mirrored sunglasses, a black leather trench coat, and a stern look on his face. The noticeable bulge inside his coat indicated he was carrying a gun. He surveyed the crowd before nodding inside the car.

A smaller man, balding and dressed in a white lab coat got out. He was obviously the more important one. “Steven Parker and his superhuman bodyguard, Machfist. Real name’s Jack Christensen though.” A man next to Erindor commented. “Strange that humans with such odd names should basically rule us. They aren’t even hybrids!” Erindor nodded absentmindedly.

Steven Parker walked up to the podium in the town center that was used for speeches or events. “Citizens of the Feline Tribe,” his voice boomed. “As it is a new Quarter, we bring you new products from the Stronghold.” Erindor whacked his forehead in annoyance. How had he forgotten? This was one of the most important events that happened on a regular basis.

Machfist walked up behind Steven, and presented a silver case. Steven accepted it, and put it on the podium in front of him.

“Remember, these are tools of death,” he said, clicking the case open. With a sly smile he added, “Keep them out of reach of the children.”

The majority of the crowd pulled out some goggles from various places. The rest kicked themselves for forgetting theirs. Erindor almost did, but remembered he had brought them to school in the hopes of disassembling it for spare parts. He hadn’t ever got around to it though. After scrambling around in his pockets, his put his on. The lenses flashed to life, showing a loading screen.

“Everybody have their goggles on? Good.” Steven said without even waiting for an answer. He pressed a red button in the case.

The screen switched to say “Initializing.”

Then on flickered an image of a sleek pistol, the next generation of those already in use.

“The Shredder M-65.” A computer voice read. “Aptly named, as it is the first series to implement Blade Technology. Sensors on the bullet tell when it is near impact, and shoot out the spiraling blades. This takes advantage of the streamlined shape of the bullet, but allows the blade to be possible. Upon impact, the blades will act as a drill, enabling the bullet to dig into the target.”

Erindor reached his hand forward and grabbed the virtual gun. A shooting range appeared. Erindor fired, watching the bullet fly, the blades pop out, and shreds of “Paper” go flying as the bullet did its work. Erindor’s stomach flipped as he though of what it would do to a person.

“Very effective, and very deadly. The preferred firearm of choice amongst the Tribes’ armies.” The voice continued.

“The SRD-32.” This time a rifle, a bit more bulky and intimidating showed up. “This gun has a different type of bullet. When the sensors indicate that impact is immanent, the bullet explodes into small pieces of shrapnel. Works like a shotgun, while allowing clips and quick fire.”

“The Mosquito grenade. After being thrown into a group of enemies, it emits a cacophony of high pitched noises, all at once. The noise has been known to makes ears literally bleed.”

“The…” Erindor didn’t hear the rest because somebody accidentally bumped him, causing the goggles to fly off and shut down. Erindor scrambled for them, and dusted them off. In the reflection, Erindor saw the clock tower. He realized that he was supposed to get going and ran off to the hospital wing, secretly wishing he could have seen the rest.

And I've started Chapter 2. By the way, the original chapter 1 is now the prologue.

Last edited:
Hey, double space your paragraphs. It makes things easier to read. I'll read the actual story later once you do this.

If you keep on saying NO NO NO HE'S NOT A MARY SUE, then it looks like you're in denial and this just makes things worse.

I don't understand why his last name doesn't fit with the pattern of the rest of the guys. [I'd prefer names that weren't just two words stuck together. Ponder sounds like a better last name than Hardthought to me, even though they're based on real words.] Perhaps you could call him Aaron instead, because it sounds similar, and also flows better with his last name, just so people don't bother you about it.

He's the only one with an age, and I don't understand why nobody else has one. I'm assuming the other kids are of a similar age, but the father doesn't. The difference between 30 and 50 has to mean something.

To conclude, don't give the reader so much background information. You don't see that in real books, do you? Perhaps you should find a beta reader to share this information with, but keep it a secret to the rest of your audience.

I'll discuss the plot summary when I have time.

Last edited:
I usually do that before writing a book or story- have a big clump of information and post that first. Keep the information in a separate document, and delete parts as you introduce it to the reader(s). So you don't know a bunch of things you think the reader does, but doesn't.

Hope that somewhat helps >_>

Well, as far as the overly Non-Mary-Sue, that's what everyone had the biggest problem with on my last story, and I never really got the time to explain it there.

Double spaced.

And actually I was having problems myself with the last names. I was just trying to put my thoughts down so I would have something to refer to. It's now Aaron Ponder. I'm actually fine with changing any names at this point. I just need to be able to refer to characters as someone.

I'll take down the background info, but I need to find a way to introduce it in my book first. People will be like "What the heck? Tail? Ears? What is going on?"

I was thinking more in the terms of "Hey, Erin rhymes with Aaron," but okay. I honestly thought Skazz was okay, but I guess it wouldn't flow.

People can already edit DNA a little. Non-banana things smelling like bananas, frost-bacteria resistant strawberries, glowing monkeys and all that jazz. The problem is that the scientists don't know everything, thus the Human Genome Project.

I don't understand if the change took place before the war, or after the war, or how much after the war this story takes place.

Last edited:
Well, that’s why I thought this would make sense. The fact that they already know a little bit makes it plausible. This just takes it a little farther. People are worried that messing with the gene would cause too extreme of cases, or in general just mess up the human. That's why I stressed the saftey of it.
They took place after the war. And it’s now about five generations in, thus you begin to see “racism” against the other Tribes.

Sorry about the Skazz thing. I wasn’t sure who you were referring to, as you had just barely discussed his last name Hardthought, I thought you were continuing discussion.

I'm just saying that I don't think it's going to be that instant. Perhaps superhumans have been around longer than the other four or something.

No, I see your point...

Could Superhumans actually have been used in the war, or a contributing factor? That might make sense.

Well, thank you very much.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but my normal computer is being fail. So the next chapter(s) when it's back up.

So, uh, people can only have their DNA changed in the embryonic stage. Unless you count electromagnetic radiation, but that's not controllable.

That's really it.

Hmm...That may provide a difficult situtation...Perhaps they changed their children's DNA or something, then raised them to do the same?

It's been in the family for five generations, and the changed children pass it down genetically, so it doesn't really matter. I'm just telling you because you might do a flashback in the past or something.

Back
Top Bottom