• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt PRNG Abuse: Right or Wrong?

Because those people are exploiting the game in order to gain an unfair advantage over others.
There's a line between making pokemon with average IV's to save time, and exploiting the game to get pokemon with 31 IV's in every stat.
But you just said that "..You don't even need 31 IV's in every stat." If it's not necessary, how is having it creating an "unfair advantage?"

How is "exploiting" the PRNG any different than exploiting the rules of breeding, EV training, or other hidden stat modifiers that exist in the game in order to improve stats?

it's not. i assume that we weren't ever suppose to know about the PRNG in the first place, considering it's hidden from the game completely. that includes EV training, hidden stat modifiers, certain rules of breeding, etc.

also, no, you don't /need/ 31 in every stat, but some people want it. just because you don't want or feel the need to have a perfect pokemon doesn't mean others can't?

rambling.

also, i can't do this because i don't have an AR, and i don't know my SID. just a question about that, must the shiny pokemon used to find your SID be a shiny that /you/ caught in the game? or just a shiny that you have in your game? i'd imagine it would have to be yours, but i'm not sure.

But you just said that "..You don't even need 31 IV's in every stat." If it's not necessary, how is having it creating an "unfair advantage?"

How is "exploiting" the PRNG any different than exploiting the rules of breeding, EV training, or other hidden stat modifiers that exist in the game in order to improve stats?

I don't think it's comparable to EV training because the EV's aren't random, they're there for you to manipulate(willingly or unwillingly). I'd hardly call them hidden either, as when I was like 14 my friend and I both had a lv.100 Tyranitar, and somehow I realized that their stats were magically different.

From what I can tell, exploiting the PRNG is exploiting breeding, and i'm probably overlooking some things, but what other "hidden stat modifiers" are there?..

I think it's unfair because(and i've expressed the difficulty on breeding pokemon with: 31 in every IV)the people exploiting the IV's are doing so to have superior pokemon over the people who don't(or can't). View it how you like, but lol.. that's basically what they're doing it for, and I just find it cheap.

also, i can't do this because i don't have an AR, and i don't know my SID. just a question about that, must the shiny pokemon used to find your SID be a shiny that /you/ caught in the game? or just a shiny that you have in your game? i'd imagine it would have to be yours, but i'm not sure.
If you had an AR you'd probably manipulate your SID, write it on paper, and be hacking buckets of shiny pokemon to save the time and effort. I don't really(nor do I have any desire to) understand how the process works, but if you're trying to find your SID then yeah you'd have to catch/hatch that pokemon.

just because you don't want or feel the need to have a perfect pokemon doesn't mean others can't?
That's the thing though.. they want them so that they have a stat-advantage. I deliberately make my pokemon without 31/31/31/31/31/31 for that exact reason, because it's not fair on the people I battle..

I don't think it's comparable to EV training because the EV's aren't random, they're there for you to manipulate(willingly or unwillingly). I'd hardly call them hidden either, as when I was like 14 my friend and I both had a lv.100 Tyranitar, and somehow I realized that their stats were magically different.
They're random if you don't know about them and just play through the game--what pokémon you encounter are determined by the RNG, and therefore the EV's any pokémon gets for fighting a given battle are also random. Unless, of course, you know about EV's, and therefore only go through the fights that the RNG give you that you like. While the game gives you items that can be used to manipulate those values, it still doesn't tell you anything about them and doesn't allow you to see them. As for the difference between the two tyranitars at lv. 100, there was no way for you to confirm that those differences weren't random.

From what I can tell, exploiting the PRNG is exploiting breeding, and i'm probably overlooking some things, but what other "hidden stat modifiers" are there?..
Well, you don't have to breed to exploit the PRNG, so I'd say it's exploiting the pokémon generation method in general. As for hidden stat modifiers, there aren't any besides EV's and IV's; not sure what I was thinking of when I wrote that.

I think it's unfair because(and i've expressed the difficulty on breeding pokemon with: 31 in every IV)the people exploiting the IV's are doing so to have superior pokemon over the people who don't(or can't). View it how you like, but lol.. that's basically what they're doing it for, and I just find it cheap.
So the reason that people want something is what makes it bad? I'd also hesitate to make such a general statement as "all people who do this do it for X reason." Me, I'd be motivated to do it not so that I have an advantage over people who don't, but rather so that I wouldn't be at a disadvantage against people who do, since they'd be the ones I'd be fighting most of the time.

Whats PRNG?
It's the algorithm that the Pokémon games use to generate "random" numbers.

I don't really care about IVs and EVs and all of that, since I don't do much competitive battling, but I'm against hacking shinies. That takes all the fun out of getting a shiny in the first place. And perfect stats? That takes the fun out of battling too, at least for me. I'd prefer to just do well with my non-EV trained starter than hack a Lv 100 shiny Empoleon with perfect stats and perfect EVs.
I don't care what people do to their Pokemon's stats, as long as I don't have to battle them.

They're random if you don't know about them and just play through the game--what pokémon you encounter are determined by the RNG, and therefore the EV's any pokémon gets for fighting a given battle are also random.
I guess, but to a degree.. Only certian pokemon appear in the same area, and everyon has to travel through those same areas to finish the game. Everyone is exposed to the same species of pokemon, just a different amount of times.

Most people level their pokemon by endlessly battling the Elite Four, so they get the same EV for each kill over and over again on every single pokemon that they level. - It's not as random as something that directly generates a random number, because we're the ones influencing the stat gains through our actions in-game.

So the reason that people want something is what makes it bad? I'd also hesitate to make such a general statement as "all people who do this do it for X reason." Me, I'd be motivated to do it not so that I have an advantage over people who don't, but rather so that I wouldn't be at a disadvantage against people who do, since they'd be the ones I'd be fighting most of the time.
No, it's the reason why they want it; to have better stats than most people so that they stand a better chance of winning. With EV's.. well we're all limited to 510, it's fair, we can't change that. Having an extra 31/31/31/31/31/31 in all stats.. it's not something we have a lot of control over.

And yeah, if everyone starts exploiting Flawless pokemon, then i'll start using them as well; But we're not there yet, and hopefully we never will be. It's just sucking more luck/chance out of the game; They banned DT, "hax" items.. smogon just loves ruining games. =)

Pretty soon we might as well just play chess instead, at least the pieces all have 1HP - because smogon will probably crack a shit that the pokemon damage formula variates, and isn't set to deal a fixed ammount of damage, which therefore is inherently unpredictable and requires taking chances.

I don't care what people do to their Pokemon's stats, as long as I don't have to battle them.
The moment you step into WiFi or something, there's a really high chance you'll be againts someone who hacks, or has manipulated their pokemon's EV's. xD

Most people level their pokemon by endlessly battling the Elite Four, so they get the same EV for each kill over and over again on every single pokemon that they level. - It's not as random as something that directly generates a random number, because we're the ones influencing the stat gains through our actions in-game.
Eh, really? I don't know about that... I'll level high-level stuff there already, sure, but most of those already have the majority of their EV's filled out from lower-level training. There are faster ways of leveling that some people use, and I'm sure that different people do it differently, especially at relatively low level. I'm not sure that this statement really holds up.

No, it's the reason why they want it; to have better stats than most people so that they stand a better chance of winning.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. I'm just sort of boggled that it actually makes a difference to you *why* somebody chooses to do this when the end result is the same. I guess I see a distinction between the process itself and the people who use it. It's just a process; you could certainly argue that it's wrong to use it just to take advantage of people who don't, but saying that using it is wrong because some people might choose to use it in this way doesn't make sense to me. It's sort of like how I'm not anti-baseball bat, despite the fact that some people use baseball bats to kill others.

Also, still problems with generalization here. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would want to try out PRNG manipulation just because they're curious as to how it works, because they think shinies are pretty and have never been able to get them elsewise ingame, or even because they want them for some ingame reason, like the Battle Tower or something. Saying that the reason that people would want to exploit the PRNG is in order to crush others in battle ignores a large portion of the fandom and individual motivations.

Pretty soon we might as well just play chess instead, at least the pieces all have 1HP - because smogon will probably crack a shit that the pokemon damage formula variates, and isn't set to deal a fixed ammount of damage, which therefore is inherently unpredictable and requires taking chances.
People have argued for that sort of thing more than once... that's what their April Fool's joke was based on, actually.

Last edited:
but most of those already have the majority of their EV's filled out from lower-level training.
Well I don't know about you, but before I knew any better, I used to hatch the pokemon, slap exp. share on it at level 1 (or it used to be lv.5 back then), and then gogo-Elite-4 until it was like level 80-90.

I'll drop this - But I don't agree, because people aren't random; we're not some poorly-written sequence of coding & mathematics. I even used to feed the drugs to my pokemon thinking that (4x HP up granted like 1 stat in HP). I had no idea, but it's not random; uneducated-action-taking is the best way I could describe my opinion..

you could certainly argue that it's wrong to use it just to take advantage of people who don't, but saying that using it is wrong because some people might choose to use it in this way doesn't make sense to me.
What else would they be using it for? To make their pokemon look sexy?
Better stats = more chance of winning, they have no other practical application.
I'm saying that I think all people who do this to make 31/31/31/31/31/31 Pokemon are doing so competitively, not just some.

If you disagree with me then by all means, write me a plausible reason why someone would want to have 31/31/31/31/31/31 on multiple pokemon. (other than increasing their chances of winning, or just for the sake of having a perfect pokemon). You don't even need them in-game, and I can't picture someone manipulating IV's just to stand a better chance against in-game teams..

Also, still problems with generalization here. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would want to try out PRNG manipulation just because they're curious as to how it works, because they think shinies are pretty and have never been able to get them elsewise ingame, or even because they want them for some ingame reason, like the Battle Tower or something. Saying that the reason that people would want to exploit the PRNG is in order to crush others in battle ignores a large portion of the fandom and individual motivations.
Well like I said, shinies don't bother me because it's just a color and I don't see anything unfair in having different colored pokemon. If people are curious as to how to the mechanics work, then I don't blame them, they're people after all.

People also like to be able to crush others to feel superior(in a battle-sense); and a large portion of that fandom just so happen to be people. xD

People have argued for that sort of thing more than once... that's what their April Fool's joke was based on, actually.
Hm, well they're funny people, whoever they are. ,x3

What else would they be using it for? To make their pokemon look sexy?
Well, yeah, shiny.

And I've already given reasons--just to try it and see if it would work, to play around with game mechanics a bit, that sort of thing. Dunno, even if I weren't interested in getting pokémon myself, I'd still give it a shot just because I think it's kind of cool. Sort of like that map-lines glitch you could do to make the game map load improperly by spinning around really fast while moving--turned out to be totally useless, but kind of cool nonetheless.

Better stats = more chance of winning, they have no other practical application.
They don't, really, but better stats are not the only application of RNG manipulation.

If you disagree with me then by all means, write me a plausible reason why someone would want to have 31/31/31/31/31/31 on multiple pokemon. (other than increasing their chances of winning, or just for the sake of having a perfect pokemon). You don't even need them in-game, and I can't picture someone manipulating IV's just to stand a better chance against in-game teams..
Other than just to say that you were able to do it? IMO yeah, it actually would be useful in-game, too, if only to make getting good hidden powers much, much easier. Jolteon, for example, is much more usable in any arena, including the battle tower and so forth, with hidden power grass or ice, and breeding to get a decent HP power and also decent stats.

People also like to be able to crush others to feel superior(in a battle-sense); and a large portion of that fandom just so happen to be people. xD
Dunno, I actually think that they're probably pretty rare. Competitive battlers are already a fairly small percentage of the fandom, and the number of them that fit this description is even smaller. Saying that everyone is like this seems more than a little bit of an overgeneralization.

Well, yeah, shiny.
It's just a color to me, if they were highly fluorescent and flashing in an attempt to cause seizures to your opponents, then maybe.. But they don't do that, so I don't mind. xP
They don't, really, but better stats are not the only application of RNG manipulation.
They do, having those few extra points in speed to get a first hit in, or those few extra points in attack which caused the opponent to faint instead of being left on 3% HP.

I think it is the only real application; better hidden power, and a 0 IV for Curse + Payback/Avalanche pokemon also falls under better stats.
Other than just to say that you were able to do it? IMO yeah, it actually would be useful in-game, too, if only to make getting good hidden powers much, much easier. Jolteon, for example, is much more usable in any arena, including the battle tower and so forth, with hidden power grass or ice, and breeding to get a decent HP power and also decent stats.
You can say you did it without having to make multiple 31/31/31/31/31/31 pokemon; even then, non-competitive players who exploit it might start playing competitive and realize "hey I can use this exploit to my advantage".

As far as hidden power goes.. I can't really be against it, because I have a Bolt-beamer jolteon which I obviously didn't breed. But seeing as we're talking about flawless pokemon, people would make a 31/31/31/31/31/30 Jolteon (which is BS imo). My one is 31/7/26/31/22/30 because HP:70 is rare, so it only seems fair to me that it should be flawed.

They do, having those few extra points in speed to get a first hit in, or those few extra points in attack which caused the opponent to faint instead of being left on 3% HP.

I think it is the only real application; better hidden power, and a 0 IV for Curse + Payback/Avalanche pokemon also falls under better stats.
I don't understand what you're saying here. I was responding to "better stats = greater chance to win" by saying that there other uses for the technique than to get better stats; then here you appear to be saying, "yeah, but look, you can use it to get better stats!" I don't see how that follows. Yes, you can use it to get better stats, but that's not the only (and certainly not the easiest) thing to do with it.

You can say you did it without having to make multiple 31/31/31/31/31/31 pokemon; even then, non-competitive players who exploit it might start playing competitive and realize "hey I can use this exploit to my advantage.
So? This is another case of the process being separate from the people who use it. Whether or not you're worried about people using this to their advantage in wi-fi battles, that's on them, not the technique itself. It's analogous to someone who decides he/she wants to learn about EV training for BT purposes, then realizes that doing it for wi-fi battles would be a good idea, just at a higher level.

My one is 31/7/26/31/22/30 because HP:70 is rare, so it only seems fair to me that it should be flawed.
Fine, but why do you feel it necessary to impose your idea of what is and is not fair on how other people choose to play their own games? If you don't want to face people who use this technique in battle, then just say that you don't, the same way that people request not to play hacks today. Whether or not you feel something something "should" be flawed--when it doesn't *have* to be from the standpoint of game mechanics--represents your own view of the way that the game should be played, but what does it matter to you whether other people conform to it?

I don't understand what you're saying here. I was responding to "better stats = greater chance to win" by saying that there other uses for the technique than to get better stats; then here you appear to be saying, "yeah, but look, you can use it to get better stats!" I don't see how that follows. Yes, you can use it to get better stats, but that's not the only (and certainly not the easiest) thing to do with it.
The only other uses I could think of were manipulating stats for Hidden Power, which falls into better stats. I can't think of any other uses for this 'technique'. Again, if you could point some other uses out, that would be awesome.
It's annoying when people say "but there's more than just bla-bla.." - "well.. such as?"

So? This is another case of the process being separate from the people who use it. Whether or not you're worried about people using this to their advantage in wi-fi battles, that's on them, not the technique itself. It's analogous to someone who decides he/she wants to learn about EV training for BT purposes, then realizes that doing it for wi-fi battles would be a good idea, just at a higher level.
Is killing a bunch of pokemon for stats actually comparable to exploiting a RNG? We know fully well what EV's, IV's, and the RNG is.

There's nothing random about EV's, because we know what they are and that we have to kill pokemon to get them.
Ok, now the IV's.. hey, what the heck? they're selected at complete random and I have no direct influence over them.. how strange...

I guess EV's don't bother me because they're stats that every pokemon is bound to get; where? well that's up to the person who trained them. IV's.. they're selected at random, sure you can bend a few strings to boost the probability of getting a favourable one, but to a certain degree.

I almost wish that they would remove IV's, and have the Hidden Power determined by a complete different hexadecimal sequence.

Fine, but why do you feel it necessary to impose your idea of what is and is not fair on how other people choose to play their own games? If you don't want to face people who use this technique in battle, then just say that you don't, the same way that people request not to play hacks today. Whether or not you feel something something "should" be flawed--when it doesn't *have* to be from the standpoint of game mechanics--represents your own view of the way that the game should be played, but what does it matter to you whether other people conform to it?
Well 1. Because i'm stubborn as hell, and 2. Because I just think that more people should think in a similar manner.

The thing is, I don't have a say, nor do I even know who uses this technique. PBR throws me a random opponent, they could be running a full team of 31/31/31/31/31/31 pokemon. - and therefore, it matters a great deal to me. Because i'm being fair, and versing an unfair player. What's the fun in kicking people's asses, when you do so knowing that you're a complete loser who has no skill, and has to exploit the in-game mechanics in order to gain an unfair advantage?
Victory at all costs? - Yeah, I guess a lot of people think differently than I do..

Everyone has their own views; even smogon has it's own lame view on "Hax". (which I totally 100% disagree with). But whereas they enforce the restrictions of luck-based items and moves, I simply ask that people play the game in a more fair fair.

The only other uses I could think of were manipulating stats for Hidden Power, which falls into better stats. I can't think of any other uses for this 'technique'. Again, if you could point some other uses out, that would be awesome.
It's annoying when people say "but there's more than just bla-bla.." - "well.. such as?"
Shininess, as I've stated a few times.

There's nothing random about EV's, because we know what they are and that we have to kill pokemon to get them.
Ok, now the IV's.. hey, what the heck? they're selected at complete random and I have no direct influence over them.. how strange...

I guess EV's don't bother me because they're stats that every pokemon is bound to get; where? well that's up to the person who trained them. IV's.. they're selected at random, sure you can bend a few strings to boost the probability of getting a favourable one, but to a certain degree.
IV's are more difficult to influence than EV's, but if you know enough about the way that the game works, both can be done. EV's are easier to understand and influence, but they still require exploring aspects of pokémon stats that are hidden to anyone not using a hacking device. In the past, yes, you could not directly influence IV's because a way to influence their generation was not known. However, in the past you also could not influence EV's because the rules governing their generation and distribution were not known.

I almost wish that they would remove IV's, and have the Hidden Power determined by a complete different hexadecimal sequence.
To be honest, so do I. EV's are a cool strategic addition that allow for a lot of customization, but IV's are skill-independent and really only an excuse to cram in more grind hours for people who want good ones.

The thing is, I don't have a say, nor do I even know who uses this technique. PBR throws me a random opponent, they could be running a full team of 31/31/31/31/31/31 pokemon. - and therefore, it matters a great deal to me. Because i'm being fair, and versing an unfair player. What's the fun in kicking people's asses, when you do so knowing that you're a complete loser who has no skill, and has to exploit the in-game mechanics in order to gain an unfair advantage?
I just object to the characterization that people who want perfect pokémon are automatically losers with no skill who only want them so that they can crush other (it is implied somehow more skilled) players in battle. To me it smacks of the whole "I don't EV train my pokémon and I'm proud of it because people who EV train are losers!" nonsense.

Everyone has their own views; even smogon has it's own lame view on "Hax". (which I totally 100% disagree with). But whereas they enforce the restrictions of luck-based items and moves, I simply ask that people play the game in a more fair fair.
That's certainly within your right, but I don't see how you have the high ground on this one. Unless you can actually script a restriction into battle, all you can ever do is "ask" someone not to do something, and possibly punish them if they do it. Obviously Smogon tournaments on Shoddy script in those restrictions, but for any wi-fi tournaments they hold all they can do is ask for no illegal hacks and for people to follow certain rules.

You do realize it is not possible to exploit this to get perfect IVs yet, right?
I don't know why you would think that. Check out a couple examples if you doubt that it's possible.

Hmm. Well, what I read of the guide at Smogon said it wasn't possible. Sue me for not being up to date.

Negrek said:

like myself. i'm not a competitive battler, and when i do actually battle people, i don't really care about training my pokemon with ivs or evs and whatnot. i'm going to, and have tried prng manipulation because it's fun and i find the way games work very interesting. i already have shinies too, so it's not because i want a shiny. very true, though.

Felidire said:

breeding. not total control, but with selective breeding or whatever, you do have influence over them.

IV's are more difficult to influence than EV's, but if you know enough about the way that the game works, both can be done. EV's are easier to understand and influence, but they still require exploring aspects of pokémon stats that are hidden to anyone not using a hacking device.

However, in the past you also could not influence EV's because the rules governing their generation and distribution were not known.
..Hence we influenced EV's without knowing, and never touched on IV's..?

I just object to the characterization that people who want perfect pokémon are automatically losers with no skill who only want them so that they can crush other (it is implied somehow more skilled) players in battle. To me it smacks of the whole "I don't EV train my pokémon and I'm proud of it because people who EV train are losers!" nonsense.
But one is making 31/31/31/31/31/31 pokemon to crush people(and proud about winning), and the second one isn't training at all(being at a huge disadvantage). If the second guy can win, then lol, they should be proud imo.

They probably don't EV train because they're uninformed about EV's, or don't want to spend all that time grinding wild pokemon.

breeding. not total control, but with selective breeding or whatever, you do have influence over them.
Yeah but that involves having to crack open 200 different eggs, whereas all those eggs have 510 unspent EV's. Just breeding.. Is a normal part of the game.

If you object to breeding for IVs, do you also object to breeding for natures?

Back
Top Bottom