• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Proposition 8

Pwnemon

will remain confined to the pokemon topics
Anyone else's head want to explode at this ruling? The Judge who ruled on this case was one of the only OPENLY GAY JUDGES IN THE COUNTRY.

Bias much?

Bias?

... So, what're you, some homophobe or somethin'?

No, there's a gay kid in my Boy scout troop and I'm perfectly fine going to sleep at night. But it pisses me off that that could happen. It's not the prop 8 being overruled that makes me mad the most. It's that our legal system is total POOP.

Sheesh. Don't just try to provoke me.

Anyway, in case you actually are wondering, a judge on a Very important landmark case was very incredibly biased. It would be like OJ simpson being the ruling judge on the Vander Sloot Trial.

I wasn't provoking you. I was asking you to expand your argument.

How do you know he was biased? What do you think would have been a better alternative? A conservative straight judge? (Just so you know, Judge Walker is a Republican.)

The only kind of judge who wouldn't have made that same decision would have been a homophobe, so that's pretty biased too.

And by the way, he's not the one trying to provoke you, that's me.

EDIT: Okay, maybe he wouldn't necessarily have been a homophobe. He could also have been an idiot. Doesn't make for a good judge either, though.

I wasn't provoking you. I was asking you to expand your argument.

How do you know he was biased? What do you think would have been a better alternative? A conservative straight judge?

Well at least a straight judge, don't matter his alignment. But he wouldn't be nearly as affected.

This judge was ruling something that could affect himself.

No, there's a gay kid in my Boy scout troop and I'm perfectly fine going to sleep at night.

gay people are not going to rape you in your sleep anymore than straight people are

god

being 'okay' with going to sleep with a gay kid in your tent is not accepting it is rude and offensive

probably something about "biased judges ruling on laws".

Honestly, the judge ruled that it was unconstitutional under the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses. The Equal Protection Clause (part of the 14th Amendment) says that you can't deny any citizen their rights. Marriage is (or at least should be) one of them.

It's not like he gave crap reasoning.

@OP: not total poop. If you get assigned to jury duty and you're biased about the particular case, then you can and should tell the legal system. They won't make you do it anyway.

EDIT: god people can't i write a detailed post and not get ninja'd by five of you

but yeah, my post basically supports what you all said
(also, total poop would be "guilty until proven innocent" like Britain had back in the 1700s)

Have you read the opinion? If you haven't, you have no right to call him biased.

EDIT: To elaborate:

Everyone is biased. Any other judge would have brought his or her own biases to the case. The point of the judicial system is to overcome personal bias and issue opinions in line with the law. Judge Walker ruled Prop 8 unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment; if you want to argue the case, you have to tell me why it isn't unconstitutional. Whether or not he was biased is irrelevant if you can't do that.

Anyone else's head want to explode at this ruling? The Judge who ruled on this case was one of the only OPENLY GAY JUDGES IN THE COUNTRY.

Bias much?

You are implying that a gay judge is not as qualified as a straight judge; sexual orientation has nothing to do with legal judging ability.

Yes there is an "argument" for bias, but when the defense of the case ADMITS THAT THEIR ARGUMENT IS BASELESS it is a clear-cut decision--the defense is waving a white flag and can't produce a decent argument; the judge's bias is a red herring

Also the Bible is a shit argument for anything ever, especially any version that isn't original Hebrew. You want to talk about bias? Try any translated Bible version. Has it ever occurred to you that there are versions?

Anybody who thinks the Bible is the literal word of God is a fucking moron.

Anybody who thinks the Bible is the literal word of God is a fucking moron.

if there's one thing I learned in Theology it's that the Bible isn't even supposed to be taken literally.

this fact could probably win you every theologically-based argument ever.

Ha. It's funny because that's a Straw Man. I was clearly saying that the judge would have bias if he was gay and ruling on a case of gay rights.

Also, I didn't know there were versions. I always thought the V in NKJV meant vacuum.

Thirdly, I would think I should report you for flaming. But whatever, as I can see conservatives are not welcome in the srs business, I will retreat to the other sections of the forum.

Thirdly, I would think I should report you for flaming. But whatever, as I can see conservatives are not welcome in the srs business, I will retreat to the other sections of the forum.

Maybe if you were the Bible or something, you could report her for flaming you, I guess.
... Do you take it literally? She never said anything directly insulting you, but rather people who take the Bible literally. Is that what you're saying? Because if you do, I mean, I'm pretty sure almost the entire forum (or the entire world, even) would agree that's kind of silly considering the vast difference between how things were then and now (like how we're not having issues with underpopulation anymore and can eat pork relatively safely)...

Also, a gay person having bias in a case of gay rights is just as likely as a straight person having bias. This was addressed. Many times. Maybe you should read everything instead of just the parts you felt like you could counter.

Last edited:
Ha. It's funny because that's a Straw Man. I was clearly saying that the judge would have bias if he was gay and ruling on a case of gay rights.

That doesn't matter. You are moving away from the point; the bias is not the matter at hand. And if you're admitting it's a fallacy, why say anything about it in the first place? o_o

Also, I didn't know there were versions. I always thought the V in NKJV meant vacuum.
Ancient scriptures that have been subject to translation and interpretation over centuries, and that have little-to-no supporting evidence are nigh useless in argument. Your sarcasm is doing nothing for you.

Good... luck? And I could give my opinions on conservatives and conservative thought but I won't. Mind you I live in one of the most conservative states in the country.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom