• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Purpose of Living?

whhyyyy does everyone misquote this ; ;

42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything. without the question, it has no meaning. that's the whole joke ; ;

I'm so glad to see someone explain this (and on the forty-second post no less). To everyone else: the forty-two thing is probably the deadest meme around ("all your base" is second). If I had to count how many times I've seen someone answer "forty-two" to this question... it'd probably be much more than forty-two times.

To answer the actual question though - to me, the meaning of life is life itself. We live for no other purpose than simply to live. It's dumb, but I really see nothing deeper than that.

Tarvos, you're quite old for someone who's never been to school.

The only reason anyone keeps on living is inertia.

I view life with sort of a "but there's still so many things I have to do! I can't die now! That would be such a waste of all my efforts!" view, if that makes any sense at all.

The purpose of my life is to do everything, see everything, and then tell some damn awesome stories.

(Why? Damn awesome stories are damn awesome, that's why.)

But in all seriousness, that's why I think everyone should make a bucket list. It's gives your life a lot more focus.

A few years back, the whole 'existencless void that is life' thing really depressed me. Not full blown permanent depression, but I would spend hours just thinking about it. And then it just, I don't know, clicked. I found an answer.

Life is meaningless, right? Nothing we do matters.
And that is wonderful!
It gives us this great, big, blank canvas to do whatever we want with our lives! And think about it, if nothing we do matters-than all that matters, is what we do! There's no great big pressure, no rules to follow, and absolutely (thank you, Absol the disaster Pokémon, for teaching me how to spell that word) no one is more important than you.
We all start off on this level playing field.

Nothing matters, not the existence of you, of America, of the whole damn world-it's all meaningless. Which means that the President of America, or of Ireland, or the Queen, or even God, if there is one, is just as meaningless as you. You are worth exactly the same as everyone else on earth, because nothing we do matters-so all that matters is what we do!

So my random acts of kindness on a bus, makes a person a little bit happier. That's something-that's a plus. That's a good thing I did. And no, it doesn't matter in the long run-but nothing does, so it matters just as much as everything else! The hero who saves the world, well, it's all meaningless-so it means just as much as my act of kindness.

So, live a life. Because nothing you do matters-
So all that matters is what you do.

Back
Top Bottom