• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

But faster Pokemon /do/ have the advantage over slower Pokemon. That's... kind of the point? There is a power difference there that we have no need, and no reason, to balance.

In the case of Metal Burst, again, it was probably because in-game it would likely be overpowered if it was -ive priority. That is not the case in ASB.

Our job is to adhere to the innate game mechanics as much as we can while allowing as much freedom as we can. It is not our job to alter game mechanics to fit what we think Game Freak intended to do with the moves (which we would never know for certain, anyway).

Now, may I say that throughout this conversation you have been insisting on your interpretation because you believe it should be right? While I respect your opinion, I have had much more experience in the ASB league than you have had, and my interpretation is heavily backed by both precedent and experience. It is for that reason I, along with MF, am answering questions pertaining to mechanics for the whole league. If you reject my interpretation you are absolutely free to enforce that rule in challenges you issue, but you should not force your interpretation on everyone else.

So, changing the subject: Defog still gets rid of Stealth Rocks, right? The handbook doesn't mention them, but it says "including but not limited to" and I just want to make sure it'll work before I order the command.

I feel like I should say something here, so here goes:

Whether or not you can stall Metal Burst does not make that much difference to the game. If you ask a question and the answer seems unfair to you, you can question it further, but don't argue about it for twenty posts. If you're answering questions and this happens again, please don't argue about it with them for twenty posts.

blazheirio: having played ASB for years does mean your judgement is valuable for ruling on complex cases, but it doesn't make your interpretation inherently right, either. That was, to be honest, kind of condescending — telling surskitty to "stick to the main series" in particular was unnecessary.

A lot of the appeal of ASB, to many people, is that it's pretty balanced compared to the video games, and people whose favourite Pokémon are usually weak can viably use them in ASB. ASB should equally be for people who just want to have fun and don't want to deal with complex conditionals or worry about yomi layers. If giving fast Pokémon access to the handful of situational benefits of being slow gives them an unfair advantage, then we should absolutely reexamine it (though we have a zillion other things to consider first, and like I said, I'd rather not drag this argument out any further right now).

Last edited:
Blizzard does still have perfect accuracy in hail, right? Neither the description nor summary mention it.

It's in Hail's summary, but I'll go ahead and edit it into Blizzard, too.

I think I can edit this myself but I can't remember how, so while you're at it:

Hail's description said:
Under these conditions, solarbeam's power is reduced and it takes more energy to charge, blizzard's accuracy is raised to 100%, and moonlight and sunny day have their max recovery potential lowered to 33%.

What exactly are Synthesis and Solarbeam's interactions with weather? What does the weather do to Synthesis's energy costs? In sun, does Solarbeam just not get the penalty for skipping the charge turn? Is it even cheaper than that? In foul weather, does it require that charging turn, or does it assume an extra charging turn with a corresponding energy penalty, or ...?

Also, if these can actually get added to the descriptions, that would be useful.

What exactly are Synthesis and Solarbeam's interactions with weather? What does the weather do to Synthesis's energy costs? In sun, does Solarbeam just not get the penalty for skipping the charge turn? Is it even cheaper than that? In foul weather, does it require that charging turn, or does it assume an extra charging turn with a corresponding energy penalty, or ...?

Also, if these can actually get added to the descriptions, that would be useful.

Synthesis heals 66% instead of 50%, but costs the corresponding amount of energy. From what I remember, Solarbeam in the sun is faster (many ref charge moves as occurring in one action with reduced priority) and costs less energy.

In foul weather, Solarbeam costs more energy and is weaker. I don't recall Solarbeam in foul weather costing a charge turn.

Of course since this is from what I remember, I'll quickly run it by the rest of the team to hammer out a definitive answer. Editing will take place after that.

Really specific question here, but;

My Togekiss's Body Mod was a type change, and as of XY Togekiss has a natural type change from Normal/Flying to Fairy/Flying - would it be permissible to redo his body mod if I wanted him to be Fairy/Dragon instead? Or would I have to do something else? I can't remember if you could remove signature things from 'mons before or if I'm imagining it...

Really specific question here, but;

My Togekiss's Body Mod was a type change, and as of XY Togekiss has a natural type change from Normal/Flying to Fairy/Flying - would it be permissible to redo his body mod if I wanted him to be Fairy/Dragon instead? Or would I have to do something else? I can't remember if you could remove signature things from 'mons before or if I'm imagining it...

When we reinstate sigthings, we'll give you guys an opportunity to change things up.
Previously you could only change things upon evolution or ownership change, which I think was kind of silly and restrictive. I don't think we've discussed this yet, though, so when we get to reinstating sigthings we'll announce more concrete rulings then.

Yeah... one of the biggest reasons I didn't like sig-stuff is that you'd always get neglected outdated sig stuff, but updating it will be a lot smoother with the Database, I think.

hey this might a dumb question, but if a pokemon mimics a move that would impractical for it to use, is it still able to use it? e.g. if squirtle mimics wing attack, can it still use the move even though it doesn't have wings? :O could sunkern mimic mega punch even though it doesn't have arms?

Could you potentially Hold Hands with a wooper or something else lacking hands? I mean, the learnset is pikachu, vivillon, and charizard, and vivillon don't really have hands.... They do have little stubby arms and could fistbump or something, I guess.

Could you potentially Hold Hands with a wooper or something else lacking hands? I mean, the learnset is pikachu, vivillon, and charizard, and vivillon don't really have hands.... They do have little stubby arms and could fistbump or something, I guess.

this is all just too adorable for words

Hey, I just realized: the only place that lists an actual number for Chill is its summary in the Database, and it doesn't say that refs are allowed to vary it (although, has anyone ever actually varied it?) Chills are pretty damn important, so that seems like something that should be standardized.

Back
Top Bottom