• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

If a Pokemon with Unburden has its speed reduced one stage, is it (S_base - 10) * 2 or S_base * 2 - 10? Hypothetical, and for balance purposes I would think it's the former, but I wanted to be sure.

If a Pokemon with Unburden has its speed reduced one stage, is it (S_base - 10) * 2 or S_base * 2 - 10? Hypothetical, and for balance purposes I would think it's the former, but I wanted to be sure.

I suppose it depends on the ref, really. Things like this are why I've switched to using multiplicative factors for speed instead.

If a pokemon was in the down stage of Dive and was staying there, could it use moves against it's opponents if they were moves that were ranged or projectiles, such as Twister/Sludge Bomb/Water Pulse?

Could an aquatic Pokemon use Double Team or make a Substitute down there?

Refs, what kind of scale do you use when determining the max number of Double Team clones a Pokémon can produce? And what exactly is "average speed" for a Pokémon?

Also, does the accuracy roll for a move precede the roll to see if a move hits a clone or not?

If a pokemon was in the down stage of Dive and was staying there, could it use moves against it's opponents if they were moves that were ranged or projectiles, such as Twister/Sludge Bomb/Water Pulse?

Could an aquatic Pokemon use Double Team or make a Substitute down there?

Many of those attacks would likely not work due to the distance and the fact that they'd get sort of "diluted" from passing through the water: for example, a Water Pulse would probably just cause a bunch of ripples at the surface, and a Sludge Bomb would dissolve and spread through the water. Ultimately it's up to your ref.

Substitute, yes. Double Team, maybe you could, but the water would go straight through the clones and break the illusion.

Refs, what kind of scale do you use when determining the max number of Double Team clones a Pokémon can produce? And what exactly is "average speed" for a Pokémon?

Also, does the accuracy roll for a move precede the roll to see if a move hits a clone or not?

Here's Negrek regarding average speed. A lot of refs use a scale that's something like base speed divided by 12.5, rounded up or down.

The second shouldn't actually matter beyond flavour purposes.

Other scales (though they all produce around the same result) include 2 clones by default and 1 more per 20 base speed, or 1 by default and 1 more per 12/15 base speed. If you're looking for a more exact answer to the second question, Bulbapedia lists it as 66 for all Pokemon and 78 for fully-evolved ones, and I computed it manually for all Pokemon a while back and got something a little more than 67.

I use 15 speed per clone for Double Team users, with a minimum of one, for things like Ferroseed and Shuckle.

re: Double Team clones - I calculate accuracy rolls and clone-hit separately, so it's possible for something like Zap Cannon to just miss the clones entirely, or Rock Slide to hit some clones but not others, etc.

soooo if the battle style is Switch, and someone uses U-Turn but doesn't say anything about switching in the post, is the switch forced? Ignored? Would specification be needed? It's being used on the last action, if that's relevant, and the second set of commands was worded with the assumption that the switch was intended

Ask the battler to clarify, and give the other a chance to recommand if necessary.

If a Pokémon acquires a Plate after using Hidden Power and then loses it again, the attack's type will revert to what it was before getting the Plate.

I think LotF's question was more "what happens if a Pokémon uses Hidden Power while holding a plate, then loses it", and I think the answer would be that Hidden Power's type gets randomised.

I think LotF's question was more "what happens if a Pokémon uses Hidden Power while holding a plate, then loses it", and I think the answer would be that Hidden Power's type gets randomised.

Yeah, at first my post had both answers, and then I realized it would look kind of contradictory if his original question was actually the second one, so I edited the first one out. It would indeed be randomized.

Since rounding down now takes place at the end of the damage calculation, does every exp. point count towards damage? Like, if your poke has 3 exp., will this add .75% damage?

Since rounding down now takes place at the end of the damage calculation, does every exp. point count towards damage? Like, if your poke has 3 exp., will this add .75% damage?

To make things easier for refs, let's keep it as it is for now. We can look into this again once experience is included in the active squad code by default, I think.

Back
Top Bottom