• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Actually, in the games Smack Down knocks down a Pokémon in the middle of using Fly (or whatever) but doesn't permanently ground it, as far as I can tell.

In the games, Endure works off the same counter as Protect and Detect (and this is implied but not explicitly stated in the asbdb's entry for Endure), but Bulbapedia doesn't tell me anything about how it works when the user isn't reduced to 1 HP.

In ASB, how would it work if the user of Endure wasn't reduced to 1% health? Would successive uses of Endure/Protect/Detect be subject to the declining odds of success? Or is using Endure unnecessarily treated as just "wasting" an action, and then Endure/Protect/Detect can work automatically the next action?

EDIT: And now that I think of it, if Endure/Protect/Detect fail because of being used in succession, what's the energy cost to attempt to use them? Is it nothing, or is it the base 2% that using them normally entails?

Actually, in the games Smack Down knocks down a Pokémon in the middle of using Fly (or whatever) but doesn't permanently ground it, as far as I can tell.
It does permanently remove immunity to Ground-type attacks, and also, flying/hovering status as far as ASB goes. Although... looking over it again, it technically doesn't prevent further use of Fly or Bounce (although the former is still probably, well, not going to fly with the Pokémon's flying status removed). So I guess you could still use Bounce, after all.

ETA:

In the games, Endure works off the same counter as Protect and Detect (and this is implied but not explicitly stated in the asbdb's entry for Endure), but Bulbapedia doesn't tell me anything about how it works when the user isn't reduced to 1 HP.

In ASB, how would it work if the user of Endure wasn't reduced to 1% health? Would successive uses of Endure/Protect/Detect be subject to the declining odds of success? Or is using Endure unnecessarily treated as just "wasting" an action, and then Endure/Protect/Detect can work automatically the next action?

EDIT: And now that I think of it, if Endure/Protect/Detect fail because of being used in succession, what's the energy cost to attempt to use them? Is it nothing, or is it the base 2% that using them normally entails?
Both in the games and in ASB, Endure's chances of failing are not affected by whether or not the user Endures a hit.

I need to check if there's precedent to the contrary, but as far as I know a failed Endure/Protect/Detect costs the same base 2%.

Can Struggle be used by a sleeping Pokemon? Does it have a chance to fail when used by a paralyzed, confused, or attracted Pokemon?

What happens when someone tries to force a command loop by waiting (with a priority +2 move ready) for a move that is waiting on their move. But said Pokemon has a much lower speed than the Pokemon it is trying to stall and is also holding a Lagging Tail.

Oh boy I wonder what battle this is about

What happens when someone tries to force a command loop by waiting (with a priority +2 move ready) for a move that is waiting on their move. But said Pokemon has a much lower speed than the Pokemon it is trying to stall and is also holding a Lagging Tail.

Oh boy I wonder what battle this is about
Regardless of the Lagging Tail et al, those are circular commands.
Lastly, it's possible for two Pokémon to find themselves locked in a circular command chain — for example, if both were ordered to react to the foe's move, leaving them both to wait on the other and neither to make the first move. This can only lead to neither Pokémon doing something in that action.
iirc, some refs try to actually resolve circular commands, but that's definitely not recommended.

If two Pokemon are commanded to use Round on an opponent, the slower Pokemon immediately joins the faster one in the Round, right? If the opponent is KO'd by the two Rounds, which Pokemon would get the exp?

If two Pokemon are commanded to use Round on an opponent, the slower Pokemon immediately joins the faster one in the Round, right? If the opponent is KO'd by the two Rounds, which Pokemon would get the exp?
The slower Pokémon still technically uses Round after the faster one, albeit immediately after; so, mechanically, the Rounds aren't simultaneous. The Pokémon whose Round dropped the opponent's health to 0% is the one to whom the KO is awarded.

Does a round close exactly when a Pokémon is knocked out, or do "end of action" effects take place before that?

End of Action effects take place beforehand, unless it's the end of the battle, in which case it ends immediately.

For what it's worth, although it's only tangentially related, I only end the round if all of one side's active pokémon are KOed in the same round; in a Double battle or higher, there's not much reason to prevent the remaining pokémon from continuing to fight.

Does a round close exactly when a Pokémon is knocked out, or do "end of action" effects take place before that?
End of Action effects take place beforehand, unless it's the end of the battle, in which case it ends immediately.

For what it's worth, although it's only tangentially related, I only end the round if all of one side's active pokémon are KOed in the same round; in a Double battle or higher, there's not much reason to prevent the remaining pokémon from continuing to fight.
Effects that take place at the end of the round/action are indeed applied right at the end of the action in which the KO happened.

That said, a round in which a KO happened always ends with the end of the action that the KO took place in, regardless of the number of Pokémon on the field.

does not acting due to confounding conditionals count for truant pokemon's loafing action? because come on :(
Loafing around is a specific action with specific effects, so, nope. Narratively, it's also different from being stuck in a circular wait in that it doesn't require one to focus on the opponent's movements. And also, in that, for the opponent's part in the circular wait, I should hope they can tell the difference between an enemy who's biding their time and one who's just slacking off.

Do moves like Volt Switch and Baton Pass have priority in ASB? The ASB rules state that switching has priority over any attack, but this doesn't apply to moves that switch the user out, does it? It's certainly not that way in the games.

Do moves like Volt Switch and Baton Pass have priority in ASB? The ASB rules state that switching has priority over any attack, but this doesn't apply to moves that switch the user out, does it? It's certainly not that way in the games.

No, those moves don't have priority.

Back
Top Bottom