• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Random Scribblings vr. II

Okay, I promise I'll go back and catch up on the pages I've missed, but I just have to ask... what IS that, a Sudowoodo in a suit? o.O

Forgive me, I jut happened to glance at it and thought... "what the...?".

I haven't played Apollo Justice yet, so I can't properly critique it. Ah well, it still looks good. There should be a new PW picture or something soon.

And as far as handwriting goes, I own all. Eheh.

Have I mentioned that I adore the tags my art thread keeps getting? Because I do X3

Uuh, that thing there with Trucy is Mr. Hat, a prop she likes to use as part of her magic shows and/or a decoy when she needs it. I think he's actually pretty creepy o.o

I really adored the Elphie/Glinda picture, and since you'd like me to critic on it before you finish it. I'll do so :D

Oh, I must say this is turning out wonderously, especially the feet, though Glinda's feet are large <333 Oh, and the clothing wrinkles give a sense of realism to the night gowns, and the gowns look wonderous as well. A few minor issues I've noticed are the distance between Elphie's eyes is nowhere Xatu's, but are sort of far apart, though I adore how she's focusing on book; it's quite evident by her eyes. The book look great, though a title on it's spine would give depth to this picture. Another objection I have to the book is how its right side is stretching outwards (though it'd be wonderous to have a strechy book,) so at the end try to draw a straight line to make it less stretchy :3 Oh be careful not to make Glinda's elbow pointy, or it'd hurt if she'd elbowed me. Ouch! The hands look nice, though the fingers are slighty awkward. The hair looks flawless in shape, and I hope to see some wonderous hair shading :D

Last edited:
Thank you very, very much :3 Especially for the detailed crit, Spoon, I'll work on that soon as I can~

The AJ characters are very cool, but it takes a while to get over the loss of Edgey et al D:

M'kay, Glacedon asked me how I shade things, so I figured I'd put a step-by-step thing here if anyone else cared.

I'm gonna use my sketch of Bubbles the Gyrados for this, because I've been meaning to colour her for a while and it saves me drawing out a while new picture. Plus blue and yellow are two of my favourite colours to shade with anyways.

So here she is, all sketchy and confused:

st1.jpg

First thing to do is ink her, so I don't smudge all over the place when I try and colour her in. I use an average fineliner for this (one of the blue-green Berol ones I can buy in the school library for 30p) and, in a technique almost entirely stolen from FMC, make the line thicker in places where there are more shadows. Like this:

st2.jpg

For the colouring, I use a really nice set of 36 pencils I got from WH Smith's for £5.99 (look how short that pink is and revel in how I draw Galinda too much). There's an excellent selection of colours, so I pick out the ones I'm gonna use before I start, and then use the darkest ones on the darkest parts (99% of the time, I shade with a top-left light source, so I start at the bottom-right). And she ends up like this:

st3.jpg

Next, pick the middle colour and colour in most of the rest. God, I'm bad at describing this, aren't I? Uh, basically so she ends up like this:

st4.jpg

And then use the lightest colour to colour over everything. This makes the whole picture look brighter and less scribbly. If you're colouring in something very shiny, leave the very lightest bit white, but I tend not to do that.

st5.jpg

And then I go over the whole thing with a white pencil, which makes everything look smoother (you can't see it so well here because the colours are so light, but the darker the colours, the better it looks) and do the finishing things like signing, dating and editing in the almighty MS Paint to get rid of the doodles on the page I didn't colour :3

st6.jpg

And there we go :3 I hope that wasn't too confusing, but yes. That's how I colour/shade stuff. It doesn't take nearly as long as this process makes it sound, though. ^^'

Bubbles is pretty. :3

And it's cool how you shade things, I pretty much have no method, I'm just like "lala I will color this part, now I will color this part, oh let's add in some other colors~" and... actually, I think the partially colored one looks really cool (where you've only just added the darkest colors) like there's a big... white light, or something. It's awesome.

actually, I think the partially colored one looks really cool (where you've only just added the darkest colors) like there's a big... white light, or something. It's awesome.

Yeah. :3

I don't have enough seperate color shades of pencils/crayons (I lost my colored pencils x.x) to do very many different colors without the thing looking five different shades of blue, so instead I just take one shade and press down hard with it in the dark parts and not so much in the lighter parts. It's not too easy to see, though. xD

... I need to pick up a larger set of colored pencils...

Anyway Bubbles is awesome <3

daaawwwwwww~ So cute~

So that's how you're supposed to shade stuff, eh? I usually just use one color pencil for each color (due to the lack of color pencils) and shade harder on the darker parts.

I want your set of color pencils. Now.

Whoo, you coloured Bubbles~ She's wonderful! So adorable.

And whoa, wait a minute, is that how I'm supposed to colour things? Damn, I'm way off. First, when I'm done drawing it I put the title at the top and the signature. Then I just take the colour I want to use, colour it in really dark and hard, then for shading I take an even darker colour and press it in there. If the shading doesn't look good, I try to blend it with the colour I used to colour the entire thing. And the final thing I do is the outline and the date I finished it.

I'm very Phoenix Wright case-ish at the moment (and currently laughing at random, pointless, unamusing objects, too; I recently giggled at the line of Do you hear the people sing?), so I doubt my ability to critic, yet I shall attempt to comment anyways, because I can :D Oh, would you mind drawing a picture of Yotsuba as a Pokémon Trainer, because I'm wanting to see a Danni-adorable-over-load, but it'd be fine to decline this suggestion, I wouldn't mind, though I do want to see that list of crossovers you're planning on doing.

Um...doesn't Gumshoe have a bandage, or does Mark overule that? Mark Gumshoe is just adorable, and I adore the semi-happy look he has :3 The lines of the camera are shaky, so a ruler/straight-edge might come in handy when the next time you draw electronic, or other things that are straight-ish. Mark's right pant-leg is sort of large at the end compared to the other pant-leg of the left. The shoes are awkard shaped, but shoes are quite annoying for myself, so I wouldn't know how to fix it. Mark's right shoulder looks very straight, as apposed to curved. I like his hair, though I expected it to be more..umm..ragged?

I know you've completed the Glinda/Elphie picture, so criticing this would not do any good for you.

Thank you for posting such wonderous pictures <3333

Thanks for the Guide, I get it now, it really makes sense, thanks again!
Oh, and good drawing of Bubbles and all the Fuzzy pokemon!:P

I am SO SORRY I've been so lazy about updating this recently. I've been kinda busy here and there with stuff, but I really appreciate the comments and things and I'm really glad people found my shading-method-thing vaguely useful. :3

Uuh, I stayed up till about 5am last night drawing (but not finishing) random stuff, so you can have them now.

Yotsuba & Pokemon, for the fabulous Spoon <3
This'll be finished soonish. And when it's done, I'll edit out all the smudging and stuff because I couldn't be bothered to wait for the ink to dry before tying to rub out my pencil lines :/
I, uh, can't draw Oddish. I never knew that before. And Yotsuba's hand, urgh x.x

img455.jpg

So me and my best friend were playing SSBB and trying to get all of Solid Snake's Codec conversations, and the one with Mei Ling about Pikachu was absolutely hilarious - basically, she asks him to catch her a Pikachu and he was all "Do I look like a Pokemon trainer?".
...now he does X3

img456.jpg

These two require some explanation, too. These were inspired by Kinova/videos Kinova linked me to on YT. The first one's based off this, which is a performance where, during the Popular scene, Galinda's flower did not want to stay in Elphie's hair so she ends up practically pinning her to the bed to try and get it to stay there (it doesn't). And with the gelphie and the pinning to the bed I couldnt' resist.

"I was just making her popular, I swear!"
img458.jpg

And this one, kinda based on this video, where Trekkie Monster and Kate Monster from Avenue Q sing Popular. And if the cast of Avenue Q can sing wicked songs, it's only fair that the other way around is possible, too~
(can you tell I had fun with tints?)

iuwgp.jpg

I messed up so many things in that picture (clearly 5am is not my best drawing time), so I'll probably redraw it better sometime. Hehe.

...Enjoy?

;~; I'm very much estatic at the Yotsuba & Pokémon (!) picture you've drawn for me as a request, and I am deeply appeciate it. It doesn't bother me that you haven't finished yet, since defeating insomnia is a much more important task. I adore how every thing is coming along, especially Hoppip. The team you choose for her is wonderous, and it reflects her interesting personality. Oddish seems fond of being stroked gently, which I'd be fond of too~ I'm quite fond of Hoppip's leafy fans, whose mental image I already have ingrained into my mental imagery section of my squishy organ. I love Yotsuba's pose, hat, and clothing; it's all wonderous <33333~ I still adore Oddish no matter what you may imply about him. I want Yotsuba's hat, alot. Thank you, muchly~

I misread Solid Snake's Codec conversations as Solid Snake's Kodak (Moment) conversations, which would be highly amusing to see :3 I really adore Kecleon's pose of awesauce (which you appearently have for blood...) This reminds me of Adrienne's Naruto: Dance Verison Manga (You can tell I enjoyed my camp a little too much), where everytime an exclaimation mark was existing *Snake'd* would be written (or *HalfSnake'd* if it happened to be a !? mark) Snake looks awesomely upset :3

Back
Top Bottom