• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Rape Censorship

Rape isn't talked about much in popular culture, and when it is, like in Law and Order and even in the news, it often carries a very unfortunate undertone of victim-blaming; "If she hasn't been wearing that dress..." "If she hasn't been walking by herself..." "If she hadn't been drinking..." which is pretty disgusting.

I always hate it when people do this, and it always seems to be with rape. On multiple occasions my biology teacher has explained to us that if we party, we will be drugged. He tells us that there are always people that watch others like hawks until they set down their drink to use the bathroom or whatever, and drugs will ensue. He's almost convinced we'll do this, and goes way off topic to stop us. (And, while it is good to explain to someone that this happens alarmingly often, it doesn't have to be done from either a derisive or overly heroic viewpoint, both of which he uses to explain.) He also blames the people with the drinks for whatever.

And, on the topic of general rape censorship, it should not be censored in the way that any other crime is censored. I mean, yeah, we shouldn't be showing pictures and stuff, but we need to inform people about how psychologically harmful it is. Like with murder, people need to know that it is bad, not just that it is a topic only the grown-ups are allowed to discuss.

This reminds me of my English teacher last year. Every year in English, we have a section solely on research, where we have to (usually) write a paper and have a Powerpoint or poster ready to present. Every semester she would focus solely on genocides. Like, we had to research a genocide (and every group had different ones, none of them the Holocaust). Everyone got a partner and drew from a hat. Everyone presented their stuff and we learned. Like, everyone was interested even though we were appalled by it all. We then watched Hotel Rwanda, which is a great (and recommended) movie. She did a very good job of informing us about the genocides around the world. I remember someone asked her why we couldn't just research whatever or why we couldn't do the Holocaust, and she said something along the lines of "People need to learn about genocides like these, that take place every day on Earth. I'm taking steps to inform people about the atrocities of genocide."

*stutter Stutter* Yes, I say it should be illegal because sex and rape is no joke and those damn idiots teens who think it is, really need to learn about sex ed. Yeesh, that's creepy. *goes back to his nightmare*

Back
Top Bottom