• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

At the recommendation of Karkat Vantas, I'm only claiming e-reffings once every ~three days now. So without further ado:
Lucas755 vs. Superbird rounds 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Phantom vs. Joo Dee round 4

Comes to $84.

Paychecks

Byrus: 1 = $13
Chiropter: 1 = $15
Crazy Linoone: 1 2 = $26
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3 = $39
Lucas755: 1 = $7
Meowth: 1 2 = $26
Metallica Fanboy: 1 2 3 = $39
moon-panther: 1 = $7
Negrek: 1 2 3 4 = $52
Squornshellous Beta: 1 2 3 4 5 = $35

I think I will audition for Novice Referee, please.

Both trainers throw their pokéballs out into the arena. In a burst of light, a brown furry fox-like pokémon appears on Elecii’s side, immediately getting into a fighting stance and grinning as confidently as an Eevee can. Meanwhile, on the opposite side of the plateau, a red and white penguin comes out of its pokéball, looking pretty calm. The Delibird blinked, examining his opponent. Then, the referee steps up, waving his flag and signaling for round one to begin.

Round 1

Elecii (O O)
Eevee
[Soran] (M) <Run Away>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Lucky 7 (O O)
Delibird
[Fedex] (M) <Vital Spirit>

Without hesitation, Fedex begins to run at Soran, pulling back its wing as if it’s going to punch the Eevee. Startled at the attack, Soran recoils back just as the Delibird fakes a hit and slinks back to his own side. The Eevee flinches, completely forgetting that it was supposed to attack its opponent.

[size=-1]Soran: 95% Health, 100% energy ; Fedex: 100% health, 96% energy[/size]​

Soran then shakes its head and snaps back to attention, this time remembering that he was supposed to actually do something. He throws his head up, and a translucent green sphere immediately forms around the Eevee. Seeing the Protect, Fedex begins running in a circle. Soran looks in awe as the Delibird becomes a blur, then growls slightly upon seeing the Delibird slow down and stop, leaving another three Delibirds behind it. In frustration, it lets down its Protect.

[size=-1]Soran: 95% Health, 96% energy ; Fedex: 100% health, 91% energy[/size]​

Still angry that its Protect seemed to go to waste, Soran wastes no time in shouting insults at his opponent. “Hey,” the Eevee calls, “What do you think you’re doing here, battling? You’re a penguin! Penguins should be swimming around or goofing off, not battling! Besides, you really can’t even battle! Look, your signature attack HEALS your opponent! LAME.” The barrage of insults strikes a weak spot in the Delibird’s mind. Oh, I can’t battle, huh? Well then. How about this!? Without warning, Fedex fires off a rainbow beam of energy, which hits Soran squarely. The Eevee shakes itself off, and glares at its opponent.

[size=-1]Soran: 86% Health, 92% energy ; Fedex: 100% health, 88% energy[/size]

End Round 1

Elecii (O O)
Eevee
[Soran] (M) <Run Away>
Health: 86%
Energy: 92%

Lucky 7 (O O)
Delibird
[Fedex] (M) <Vital Spirit>
Energy: 88%

Damage/Energy calculations
Fake Out: 5% damage, 4% energy
Protect: 4% energy
Double Team: 5% energy
Taunt: 4% energy
Aurora Beam: 9% damage, 3% energy

Arena Notes
-Nothing out of the ordinary

Notes
-Soran flinched on the first action due to Fake Out.
-Even if it hadn’t, Vital Spirit would have prevented Yawn from working.
-Elecii attacks first next round.

I really hope I didn't mess up here...

I've come to get my job back. Elite level mock it is.

3 vs. 3
Double battle
Set style
Disqualification: 7 days
Restrictions: No OHKO moves, level 1 pokes only, choices to be PM'd to ref beforehand.
Arena: Lilycove beach
Description: The battle here takes place on the seaside. A long stretch of clean, yellow sand makes up the beach part, and there is a lone wooden pier in the middle extending some fifty or so metres out to sea, which itself is calm (leastways before the battle... =p). Low-tide for now but the water quickly turns deep well before the end of the pier, so plenty of space for land-lubbers and sea creatures alike

ole_schooler OOO

[Oz] Swinub (M)
Ability: Oblivious
Level: 1
Health: 59%
Energy: 76%
Mood: Strong but fading.

[River] Absol (F)
Ability: Pressure
Health: 53%
Energy: 71%
Mood: Good but weakening.

Bobandbill: OOO

[Bree] Lapras (F)
Ability: Water Absorb
Level 1
Health: 60%
Energy: 50%
Mood: Tired but good.

[Bright] Chinchou (F)
Ability: Volt Absorb
Level 1
Health: 74%
Energy: 51%
Mood: Happy but feeling pain.

Referee Notes
- Rain is in effect for the next round.

ROUND XYZ

As the rain continued to mercilessly pound upon the sands, the four arrayed combatants eyed each other. Both Bright and River tensed up, watching for the moment to make their respective moves, bound by their orders not to move first. The towering Lapras bobibng in the wave was not held by such restrictions, however, and opened her jaws wide, expelling a thick white gust of wind over her opposition. Both of her foes were caught in the conal breath, fur standing on as the chilling attack covered them. While not overly painful, the thick cloud weighed heavily upon their damp bodies, the accumulated water helping to chill them to the bone.

While Oz and River shared a disdainful glance, Bright gleefully offered her own contribution, a bolt of salty water of her own concoction which she spewed at the latter. River was knocked off her feet by the blast, though the pain of her awkward landing was swiftly overpowered by the agony of the water running over her body, her various wounds now numerous enough to let the insidious liquid do its work. Salty water flowed over her wounds, causing her to hiss. Angered by this treatement of his ally, Oz squealed loudly, raising and stomping his tiny feet as forcefully as he could.

Bright watched, perplexed, until a stalagmite forced its way up out of the ground, leaving first the sand and then the water behind as it smashed into the fish pokemon's belly. The force propelled Bright out of the water and through the air, her expression betraying only shock and alarm. As she span back to earth, she noticed that River was growing larger much faster than anything else, as the mammalian had leapt towards her foe. Her bladed horn seemed to blaze with purplish-black energy as she lashed out at the falling chinchou, the blow impacting upon the same spot Oz's assault has just pounded. Bright's fall became much more horizontal as she hurtled back from the force of the blow, landing hard in the tossing sea below.

Glowering at River, Bright turned and loosed another gout of salty water at her foe, the fluid splashing across her fur and seemingly hunting down her open wounds pooling in every cut she had accrued thoughout the fight. River snarled in pain and fury once more, raring to sink her jaws and blades into the impudent Chinchou, however, she had bigger fish to fry. Trying with only mild success to ignore the agony flaring across her flesh, she turned and snarled at the other aquatic beast present, this time the animalistic sound carrying more than just malice. At River's will, a colossal bolt of lightning whipped down from the clustered clouds overhead with a deafening crack, coursing through the sky down to Bree. The Lapras Screeched in pain as the bolt smashed into her, electricity shooting through her jaw and cutting the noise short. Instead, she contented herself and with fixing her eyes angrily on the absol and prepared to counterattack. Except...

Wait, what should she do? She wanted to brine the absol, but she was only supposed to do that if Bright had only done so once, but she'd done it twice.
So, should she hit the swinub? No, River was still up and about, and she should only do that if she'd been taken out. The puzzled Lapras glanced uncertainly at Oz, who was caught up in a dilemma of his own. What was Role Play? He knew what Role meant, he thought, and he loved to play, so...

Oz smiled obediently, understanding blooming. He rolled playful onto his back, then all the way back onto his feet, snorting happily.

Amused by this performance, Bright decided that she had nevertheless waited long enough for the great reptile with her to make a move, and decided to make a commanding decision. That decision was to douse River in another blast of salty pain. River cringed as she spotted the plume of water soaring towards, and roared her rage has the attack met her. The fresh surges of pain overwhelmed the absol, and she shot one last hateful glare at Bright as she fell, ashamed to have fallen to such a wimpy-looking enemy. Bright laughed joyfully as she watched the terrifying mammal fall, the look shot at her not damaging her feeling of triumph. However, Oz was very much awake, and he summoned up the earth itself to remind the happily bobbing fish of that fact. Realisation hit at about the same time as the attack, and though Bright's joy was diminished as she was once again smashed upwards by the attack, she nevertheless felt that she'd done well enough.

Bree watched all of this action with dismay, her joints still crackling with residual electricity, sometimes spasming jarringly. Her own pride was hit, as she herself had contributed little to that small victory, or so she felt, and the slowly worsening poison within her system was doing nothing to cheer her. Sadly, she looked across at Oz, prepared to make the next round count much more, as the black clouds overhead began to fall away, allowing the balmy rays of the sun to grace the battlefield once more.

ROUND XYZ END

Ref notes:
-The rain has ended.
-Swinub doesn't learn Role Play
-Bree's commands didn't give her an option for this situation on the second action.
-River's Thunder paralysed bree, and she was fully paralysed on the third action.

ole_schooler XOO

[Oz] Swinub (M)
Ability: Oblivious
Level:1
Health: 56%
Energy: 66%
Mood: You'll be avenged!

[River] Absol (F)
Ability: Pressure
Health: 0%
Energy: 58%
Mood: Knocked Out!

Bobandbill: OOO

[Bree] Lapras (F)
Ability: Water Absorb
Level 1
Health: 36%
Energy: 47%
Status: -1 Speed, Toxipoisoned (2% per action) , Paralysed (Severe)
Mood: Her spirits are falling almost as fast as that absol.

[Bright] Chinchou (F)
Ability: Volt Absorb
Level 1
Health: 47%
Energy: 35%
Mood: Feeling a little prematurely victorious.

Next round:
ole_schooler sends out.
Attacks are pmed to me.
Bloodshed.​

In the Advanced mock, what ability does the Poochyena have? It doesn't matter much, but it's something to put in the pre-round statuses.

I’ll try out for Advanced.

Upstairs, the Goldenrod Department Store is the very definition of classy, with shiny merchandise and soft carpet. Downstairs, though, the Department Store’s basement is much cheaper, with harsh lights and gray concrete walls, which is probably why the staff relented enough to let two trainers have a battle there. All the boxes have been cleared out, leaving a fairly large space for a battle.

The two trainers, both wearing face masks (always the risk of asbestos, you know), each throw a Poké Ball. Anon sends a Poochyena out, the Pokémon howling sharply; its face is fierce and confident. Sentrovasi, on the other hand, hurls a Quilava; its spike of flames flares up in anticipation. The two inspect the other Pokémon as the trainers yell orders, and the referee declares the start of the battle.

Round 1

I Come Anon 6 (OO)
Poochyena
Pepper (M) <Quick Feet>
Commands: Taunt ~ Facade/Sand Attack ~ Facade/Howl
-Raring to fight and barking.

Sentrovasi (OO)
Quilava
Ravaya (F) <Blaze>
Commands: Quick Attack + Toxic ~ Substitute/Flame Wheel/Toxic or Quick Attack ~ Will-O-Wisp ~ Substitute/Flame Wheel/Toxic
-Spike flaring, excited for her first battle.

Being a Dark-type has its advantages; easily coming up with spiteful insults is one of them. Pepper grins as he ponders if calling Ravaya a dumb mouse or maybe telling her that she was hiding behind walls and substitutes is a good idea. Apparently, he’s having quite a bit of fun thinking up remarks.

At the other side of the basement, though, Ravaya is preparing a concoction of various poisons and toxins in her mouth, secreting them from special glands. As she finishes, gagging slightly at the taste, she dashes across the floor in a burst of speed, springing up in the air and alighting next to Pepper, and spits the glob of slime in his face, all before he could choke a word out. The Poochyena staggers backward, his eyes burning, but he grits his teeth and resists the pain. Angry at Ravaya and still in pain, he mocks the Quilava and scoffs. Status me, eh? A Chikorita could do better than that, you stupid porcupine? Can’t hit me, huh?

<Pepper: -3% energy, Badly poisoned (2% this round), Quick Feet activated; Ravaya: -8% energy, Taunted (3 actions)>

Understandably, Ravaya is infuriated at Pepper’s jeering. She snarls and arches her back, seemingly hissing at him. Her mohawk and tail flames burn even brighter, gradually covering her, then pinwheeling around Ravaya’s body, like a shield of fire. Ravaya leaps toward Pepper, tackling him to the ground. The Poochyena’s fur is scorched darker by the scalding heat, but he manages to escape from the Quilava’s grasp. Pepper is looking and feeling not-so-confident now, annoyed by Ravaya’s success. As he thinks about that Toxic, he rages at Ravaya, ramming into her, biting, scratching, doing what he can to injure her.

<Pepper: -8% health, -8% energy; Ravaya: -14% health, -2% energy>

Ravaya is relatively still by this point, breathing hard, exhausted from what she had accomplished in little time, as well as being scratched up a bit from Pepper. Pepper, however, is still raring to fight, and jumps onto her back, her body almost disappearing in a flurry of dark paws.

<Pepper: -8% energy; Ravaya: -14% health>

The Quilava is thoroughly battered by this point, covered in cuts and bruises, and Pepper feels mostly compensated for his eyes. Oddly, he notices that he feels rather fleet-footed; more than normal, anyways. Before he can celebrate his partial success and newfound speed, though, he feels poison eating at him from the inside, and he shudders.

<Pepper: -2% health>

I Come Anon 6 (OO)
Poochyena
Pepper (M) <Quick Feet>
Health: 90%
Energy: 81%
Actions: Taunt ~ Facade ~ Façade
-Shuddering from the poison, but happy about what he did to the Quilava. Badly poisoned (2% this round, 3% next round). Quick Feet activated. Accuracy -1 stage.

Sentrovasi (OO)
Quilava
Ravaya (F) <Blaze>
Health: 72%
Energy: 90%
Actions: Quick Attack + Toxic ~ Flame Wheel
-Battered by the Poochyena and not so excited anymore. Taunted (1 more action).

Arena Status: Nothing is changed from the beginning of the match.

Notes:
- Toxic had 95% accuracy because it was fired close up to its target.
- Pepper had an accuracy reduction of -1 because of the Toxic being fired into his eyes, not that it mattered.
- I assumed that Pepper had Quick Feet, which is now activated.
- “Spike”, “tail”, and “mohawk” were my attempts to describe the shape of Quilava’s flames.
- I Come Anon 6 would attack first.

Metallica Fanboy

Sorry about that. I added those reffings from the last check onto the end of this one.

Superbird

Good overall. The battle description is simple but easy to understand and pretty good in terms of technique.

Double team costs 1% per clone, so you took away a little too much for Fedex's three clones. I also probably would have bumped the cost of aurora beam up a little bit just because of how much damage it was dealing, but what you have down is technically correct.

No serious complaints. Approved

Deathguise

Hyde's right; you don't need to actually reapply if you've been a referee in the past. You did a fine job with the mock, anyway, so you're approved, one way or the other. It's good to see you back.

Approved

Leafstorm

There's the odd slip-up, but for the most part your battle description is quite readable and describes the action well.

It looks like you forgot to take off the 2% damage Ravaya took from poison this round. I also would have had facade do a little less, given that it's a non-STAB attack, but on the whole your energy and damage is fine.

Nice reffing. Approved

Paychecks

Byrus: 1 2 3 4 = $52
Chiropter: 1 = $13
Crazy Linoone: 1 2 = $26
Eonrider: 1 = $7
Metallica Fanboy: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 = $90
RespectTheBlade: 1 2 3 4 = $28

Last edited:
Metallica Fanboy

Fixed.

Karkat Vantas

Sorry, obviously missed that. Anyway, your battle description is pretty good, although you have some difficulty staying in one tense and the odd grammatical slip.

Damage and energy is a little puzzling. Fake out shouldn't be costing as much as toxic--I would have toxic take a little more and fake out a little less. In general, though, fake out is a significantly less powerful move. You didn't make note of how much damage aurora beam did in the write-up, but from the final status I can see that it was 12%. That's too much--8-9% is about right. Ordinarily I would say that it should cost less, too, but at 12% damage 4% is on the low end of reasonable.

For the most part your description is fine. It's your numbers that could use a bit of looking at. Not Approved

Damage and energy is a little puzzling. Fake out shouldn't be costing as much as toxic--I would have toxic take a little more and fake out a little less. In general, though, fake out is a significantly less powerful move. You didn't make note of how much damage aurora beam did in the write-up, but from the final status I can see that it was 12%. That's too much--8-9% is about right. Ordinarily I would say that it should cost less, too, but at 12% damage 4% is on the low end of reasonable.

For the most part your description is fine. It's your numbers that could use a bit of looking at. Not Approved

Regarding Aurora Beam: Aurora Beam did 8% damage. The reason it reads 88% in the final status is because Fake Out did an additional 4% damage.

Not particularly interested in arguing about this (this is the... seventh? time I've been rejected, for gods' sake), but I just felt like pointing that out.

Karkat Vantas

Ahkay. Not sure how I missed that. It obviously clears up the health issue, but it makes the energy more weird. Fake out is costing more than aurora beam now? Based purely on PP/STAB considerations, I can see how it would end up that way (it ends up that way using Kratos' calculator, for example), but if you think about it for a couple of minutes I hope you'll agree that it doesn't make much sense.

I'm going to release an update to my reffing scale that eliminates the use of PP in determining energy costs and which should help with this sort of thing. (As in actual real-world-soon, not Negrek-soon.) But for now it is what it is.

Don't sweat the number of attempts. There have been people who've been rejected more than seven times and ultimately made it.

Paychecks

Byrus: 1 2 3 4 5 = $65
Crazy Linoone: 1 = $13
Eonrider: 1 2 = $14
Meowth: 1 2 3 4 = $52
Metallica Fanboy: 1 = $10
RespectTheBlade: 1 2 3 = $21
Squornshellous Beta: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 = $112
Superbird: 1 2 3 = $21
Whirlpool: 1 = $10

Last edited:
Back