• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Negrek: Huh. I think that when I was writing it, I got a move wrong and had to go back and fix the paragraph, but forgot to give Ravaya her health back. I'll keep the actions thing in mind x_x.

And, did you mean Focus Punch? I think it'd be pretty unfair to lose energy from an attack when you end up being confused and not executing it.

Thank you, I'll keep those notes in mind. :D

Really sorry there weren't any of the lower-level mocks up this week. I completely forgot that I hadn't replaced them. There are some new ones up now, though.

Belated Reply for PichuK

Did I mean focus punch where?

Demotions

Arylett Dawnsborough -> Delisted
KMew -> Delisted

Paychecks

Byrus: 1 = $10
Keta: 1 2 2 3 = $30
Kratos Aurion: 1 = $10
Kusarigamaitachi: 1 = $10
Negrek: 1 2 = $30
PichuK: 1 = $6

Last edited:
Uh, i just noticed you paid me $10 for the emergency reffing i did in Shadow_Lugia and Grass King's battle last week. Was that an error? I'm positive i did another reffing that week, i'll try and dig it up.

Otherwise, i also reffed a round here.

You mean I paid you for the emergency battle that you'd already claimed money for? In that case, I'm not too fussed about it, as long as the overall pay is for the correct amount?

And added that other one.

Byrus

All right, I'll fix it, but it doesn't change the final paycheck amount, correct?

Kratos Aurion

Added.

Let's try again at the Novice Mock.

mageslayer99 said:
Number of Pokemon Used: 1 vs. 1
DQ Time: 3 days
DC: 25%
Banned: Healing Moves (Including Absorb, etc.), OHKO moves
Restricted: 5 chills per Pokemon
Arena: Roman Colosseum. Huge circular stadium. Dust on floor and 10 foot walls around edge

PRE ROUND X
mageslayer99 (O)
Tauros
Bully [m]
Health: 100%
Energy: 82%
Chills: 0/5
- Calm and confident.
Earthquake ~ Double Team ~ Substitute (10%)

ASH 91 (O)
Onix
Oxi [f]
Health: 82%
Energy: 88%
- Aching from earthquake and embarrassed by the failure of her attract and rock throw attacks.
Dig ~ Chill ~ Earthquake

ROUND X
When the trainers had finally finished giving commands to their Pokemon and departed off of the field, the referee looked upon the Pokemon. Bully was looking mighty confident, whereas Oxi still appeared to be in pain and embarrassed from the last round. Seeing that they were ready for the round, the ref waved his flags, and the round began.​

Bully was the one to strike first. He reared his front legs, and pounded them on the ground. Hard. The ground has shaking so violently, it was hard for anyone to concentrate, nevertheless see anything. The shockwaves sent the remaining dust dust to fly up into the air. Oxi, who didn't have a chance to Dig, roared in pain as the shockwaves hit her. She fell to the ground, was thrown into the air again, fell to the ground, thrown into the air, before finally landing on the ground, quivering, afraid to use Dig, in case the Tauros used Earthquake again. The sides of the arena were absolutely littered with rock pieces, torn from the walls from the power of the Earthquake.​

[Bully: HP -0% E -7% Oxi: HP -15% E -0%]​

Oxi lay on the ground, still in pain from the Earthquake. She lay there, resting, seemingly asleep. Bully looked on and wondered if he may have hurt her a bit too much. He shrugged it off. It's not like he'd be hurting her in the next few actions. Bully began to run around the field, at an average speed at first, but began to go faster, and faster, until eventually he was just a blur running erratically around the field. There began to be more blurs in the field within a few moments, and eventually they all came to a stop. There were now at 10 Tauros on the field, all of them smirking.​

[Bully: HP -0% E -10% Oxi: HP -0% E +10%]​

Oxi, looked up, feeling slightly refreshed. She "stood" up, and looked around the field, wide eyed. Everywhere around her were Tauros. It was a nightmare; like Hell! She looked on as all of the Tauros began to glow a bright white, so bright that none of their features could be seen. Another smaller light seemed to crawl out of each of them. In moments, the light was gone, revealing the 10 Tauros and 10 smaller Tauros. Oxi groaned, but slammed her hail on the ground anyways, causing another earthquake. The field shook violently again, this time though, there was no roaring in pain to be heard. When the Earthquake had stopped, the trainers and the ref saw that only eleven Tauros were remaining. One small Tauros who was lying on the ground, and ten normal sized Tauros. The small Tauros seemed to dissolve into the ground, and the normal Tauros looked as if the Earthquake did no damage to them. Bully and his clones looked up at the Onix. Oxi sighed.​

[Bully: HP -10% E -5% Oxi: HP -0% E -7%]​

POST ROUND X

mageslayer99 (O)
Tauros
Bully [m]
Health: 90%
Energy: 60%
- Satisfied with the results of the round, extremely confident in himself, but beginning to feel a little worn out.
"Dang it! I wanted to start a baseball team!"​

ASH 91 (O)
Onix
Oxi [f]
Health: 67%
Energy: 91%
Chills: 1/5
- Extremely discouraged by the results of the round.
"I need Prozac."​

Notes:​

- Oxi was too discouraged and scared by the first Earthquake to use Dig​

- The sides of the arena are now covered with rocks that fell from the walls, due to the earthquake attacks. Only about 6-7 feet of the walls remain​

- Each of the 10 clones from Double Team made a substitute, thus resulting in the 10 smaller substitutes​

- The earthquake attack was powerful enough to eliminate all of the substitutes

- The ten Double Team clones remain​

Last edited:
Her energy loss is a little high; I'd think something more like 7% for lava plume and 11% for eruption.
Lava Plume -> Focus Punch.
It think I added an energy penalty for running through the boggy ground. Anyway, that's what I was referring to. x3

Oh, I see. I must have honestly meant lava plume when I wrote that, because I should think a focus punch would cost more energy. But yeah, obviously lava plume never happened in your reffing.

My submission for Novice.
---------------------
ROUND X
Arena: Roman Colosseum
mageslayer99 |O|
Bully Tauros |M| ::Anger Point::
Chills: |O O O O O|
"I'm READY! Let's get going!" Calm and confident.

ASH 91|O|
Oxi Onix |F| ::Rock Head::
"Do we HAVE to continue?" Aching from earthquake and embarrassed by the failure of her Attract and Rock Throw attacks.

ROUND X: Starts!
As Bully starts grinding his hooves eagerly, he intimidates the already-let down Oxi with a call, making the Onix starting to be scared. Shivering and shaking, Oxi is just standing there as Bully starts stomping around, shaking the ground while he's at it. Jumping around, hind legs hitting the ground with great force, chunks of ground flies up everywhere, Bully caused an imposing sight. Causing a huge Earthquake, Bully grinds his hooves in the dirt once again the hold ground, while the Onix is being tossed and turned all around. Hitting the dusty floor, the damage is not great, but nevertheless makes Oxi even more scared of battling now. The walls around the Colosseum are shattered and in pieces; people are fleeing everywhere as they are frightened by the battle now. Getting up slowly, she uses all her force to jump down into the ground. Tunneling underneath, Oxi digs, trying to sense where Tauros is. As Bully is above the ground, taking a short break and basking in pleasure and cheers from the ground, underneath Oxi has found him. Shooting up quickly, the Tauros is tossed into the air, with chunks of brown earth everywhere. Bully lands with a thud, as Oxi is breathing deeply. Bully also gets up slowly, as he knows that there is no time for fun and games now.

Better and more confident now, Oxi starts to relax and try to be prepared for the next round by keeping in some energy. Staying there calmly, Bully tries to remember what his trainer ordered him to use: Double Team. He runs around in circles, with clones of him appearing everywhere he goes. Oxi, chilling, is standing there, wondering which Tauros is the real Bully. As they began to multiply more and more, Oxi still waits, confused. In total, there are 6 clones created, and they surround the now shattered arena.

As the battle continues, the six clones stare at Oxi, all grinding hooves and calling out to her. A glowing aura comes out of each one of them, and a tiny little spirit comes out in front of Oxi, prepared to take on whatever attack she has for them. Scared yet determined, the Onix rumbles around, causing another earth-shaking command like what Bully did before. Two clones look scared, and they disappear into thin air. The tiny Substitute spirit also looks afraid, and also poofs away. The other Bully clones are scared and hanging on for their dears lives, trying to stick close to their spot. Oxi sees this, and is happy with her attack, regaining self-confidence, while the real Bully is starting to question whether this battle was what he signed up for.

ROUND X: Ends!

ROUND X
Arena: Roman Colosseum
Recap: Bully lost 32% HP (Capped to 25%) and 17% Energy. Oxi lost 15% HP and 3% Energy.

mageslayer99 |O|
Bully Tauros |M| ::Anger Point::
Health: 75%
"Oh. My. GAWD. How did this happen?!?!?” Worried about how this battle isn’t as easy anymore…

ASH 91|O|
Oxi Onix |F| ::Rock Head::
Health: 67%
Energy: 85%
"That wasn’t half bad… This is kinda fun!" Confident and ready to take on the world.

Notes:
-Oxi's ability wasn't specified, so Rock Head was used.
-Calculations might be off a bit. Sorry for that.
-Oxi goes first next turn.
-There are 4 more Bully clones.
-Oxi's chill got her back 10% energy.

Last edited:
Competition! :D

Originally Posted by mageslayer99
Number of PKMN Used: 1 vs 1
Banned:Healing moves (including Absorb etc.), OHKO moves
Restricted: 5 Chills per PKMN
Arena: Roman Colosseum. Huge circular stadium. Dust on floor and 10 foot walls around edge

mageslayer99 (O)
tauros
[Bully] (M) <Anger Point>
- Calm and confident.
Commands: Earthquake ~ Double Team ~ Substitute (10%)

ASH 91 (O)
onix
[Oxi] (F)
- Aching from earthquake and embarrassed by the failure of her attract and rock throw attacks.
Commands: Dig ~ Chill ~ Earthquake

Round X: Begin!

Through the many arches of the Roman Colosseum one can see a tauros and onix, locked in battle. Bully faces Oxi in a brief staredown, before their trainers call out their orders. Backing away, Bully breaks eye contact and begins thumping the ground with his hoof. Although the effects aren't yet enough to be felt, Oxi knows what's coming next. She realizes where her trainer's commands are faulty, but nevertheless takes a physics-defying leap into the air, and then tunnels into the ground. She attempts to create a 'burrow' sort of cavern underground, but up on the surface Bully's thumping turns into rampaging, and the forces he exerts on the earth begins to shake the entire Colosseum. Just as the onix is able to curl up in the burrow she's made, a gargantuan crack makes its way into the burrow and spreads across the ceiling. Even though Oxi then frantically attempts to flee the rumbling in the earth fells her awkward movements, and she gets bashed up in her own little burrow as the earthquake intensifies. Suddenly, the entire burrow caves in, with hundreds of pounds of dirt and rock pounding upon Oxi. The onix lets out a rumbling cry that resounds even on the surface, but is quickly muffled by the dirt. She's trapped, and she knows that, even though she's a rock type she will eventually have to surface soon, as the lack of oxygen underneath the earth that's not trapped in the soil itself is beginning to slightly affect the onix. Her heart begins to race, but she quickly settles down, knowing that panicking definitely wouldn't help.

Up on the surface, Bully struts about the arena to thinner-than-air potential mates, after hearing Oxi's pleading cry. As he begins on concentrating on his next move, his strutting slowly morphs into a normal pace, and then into a blinding run. He is but a blur as he races 'round and 'round the circular stadium; as clones join his steady flight he expends the energy pent up inside him that would've originally been for a victory smash against his opponent. He slows, and when he comes to a stop he gives an acknowledging snort at each of the three other tauros. Currently feeling oh-so-might and triumphant, he settles down on the ground, fearless of a surprise attack. Underground Oxi does her best to simply chill, although she's constantly fighting an overwhelming panic. It helps a bit to take in deep breaths of air, but only sparingly because of the vanishing oxygen down below the surface.

After his clones settle down Bully begins to concentrate on channeling his life force into a Substitute. Slowly, as he concentrates, a shimmering but solidifying mimic begins to materialize. He doesn't notice the fear brewing in one of his clones; a bit more skittish than the others, the clone begins to panic from the nondescript figure. It begins to buck, instilling fear in the other two clones. They begin stampeding around the arena, until a resounding call from Bully calms them. But soon their panic brews once again as the floor begins trembling below their hooves. Underground, Oxi begins writhing and struggling in her earthly prison, gasping for air. The force of her thrashing causes shock waves to resonate through the layers of earth to the surface. One of Bully's clones gives a dying shriek as the floor gives way beneath its hooves, and then poofs into nothingness. Another clone rears in terror and attempts to run from the crack, only to fall to the ground as the ground trembles again. A large crack suddenly splits the arena in two, engulfing the clone. As the cracks branch out into the arena, Bully's Substitute manages to push him aside just as another gaping split swallows the Substitute. Just as the Earthquake seems to end Oxi tunnels out from her confinement under the earth and bursts onto the surface. The scraping of her rough armour against the earth seems to trigger another series of quakes. Bully cries out in terror as another crack chases after him and his clone. The clone is just a mite too slow- the crack envelops the clone, and the clone disappears. Bully finally falls to the ground as the Earthquake subsides, and Oxi looms above the panting tauros. This time, Bully can't bear to stare into the onix's dominating glare.

Round X: End!

mageslayer99 (O)
tauros
[Bully] (M) <Anger Point>
Health: 89%
Energy: 62%
Chills Left: 5/5
Status: Can't bear any more Earthquakes from the huge beast. My poor clones and Substitute..

ASH 91 (O)
onix
[Oxi] (F)
Health: 77%
Energy: 81%
Chills Left: 4/5
Status: Who's laughing now? Although also slightly worn out, still feeling victorious.

Notes:
1. There's a large split in the middle of the Colosseum.
2. Both Substitute and the three clones were destroyed by the Earthquake.
3. ASH 91 posts attacks next.
4. I honestly can't help writing so much.

mageslayer99 (O)
[Bully] tauros (M) <Anger Point>
Attacks - Earthquake ~ Double Team ~ Subsitute (10%)
- Calm and confident.

ASH 91 (O)
[Oxi] onix (F)
Attacks - Dig ~ Chill ~ Earthquake

Round x

The two trainers face each other in the dusty colosseum. At one side is mageslayer99, confidently standing. Bully is in a great condition. On the other hand, ASH 91 stands, still smiling, with Oxi next to him. Hurting from the previous round's Earthquake, Oxi is also embarrassed at her moves not working before. Ready to begin the next round, the two trainers give their commands, and send their pokémon off!

Concentrating power into his legs, Bully starts to stomp the ground, aiming for a good Earthquake. Vibration and force soon cause the ground to shake violently, except the shaking seems to stay away from Bully. Oxi, panicking, uses Dig. She quickly dives and burrows into the ground at a breakneck speed. However, when she begins to descend deeper into the ground, the shaking earth starts to overtake Oxi. The earthquake affects her more underground than on the surface! Hurrying, she goes back up to the surface, aching again from another Earthquake.

Next, Oxi is able to rest on the ground, tired after digging and coming back up. She closes her eyes, although she is not sleeping - just resting. When the next round comes, she will be ready. Meanwhile, Bully is starting to run around and around in a circle. Quickly, dust is flying away from the place where she is running. Soon, the illusion of multiple Tauros come - first two, then three, and finally, there are four Tauros. The four Tauros, three of which do not exist, continue to run, all at the same time.

Oxi's eyes open to the bleak, cloudy sky surrounding the Colosseum. Ready to use Earthquake, she quickly propels herself forward, although not near Bully, and romps around the stadium, letting the ground rumble and tremble as she pleases. Bully, however, is prepared. Focusing his powers into a state of defense, his entire being seems to disappear, and a little doll takes his place. The ground shakes and quakes, but the doll merely flops around on the ground, as if it is a plastic figure.

Finally, both pokémon are staying at the ends of the field, waiting for the next round. Bully is satisfied and confident, but still he is panting and tired. On the other hand, Oxi is feeling disappointed about the round. However, she keeps the energy to go on and keeps on trying hard. mageslayer99 and ASH 91 comfort and congratulate their pokémon, and ponder their next actions.

mageslayer99 (O)
[Bully] tauros (M) <Anger Point>
Energy: 67%
Attacks - Earthquake ~ Double Team ~ Subsitute (10%)
- A little tired, but still satisfied.

ASH 91 (O)
[Oxi] onix (F)
Health: 65%
Energy: 79%
Attacks - Dig ~ Chill ~ Earthquake
- Disappointed in herself, but still trying hard.

Notes -
- Lots of cracks in the ground from the two earthquakes this round.
- On Oxi's side of the field is a two holes, where she dug in and out of.
- ASH 91 posts attacks first.

"Yay! I don't have to rush this one. For my past failures my thoughts have been clouded from severe stress but I shall triumph (I hope)!":sweatdrop:

o
mageslayer99: Bully [M]

128.png

Ability: Anger Point

Mood: Calm and confident.
Earthquake~Double Team~Substitute(10%)

o
ASH 91: Oxi [F]

095.png

Ability: Rock Head

Mood: Embarrassed by the failure of her attract and rock throw attacks.
Dig~Chill~Earthquake

Round "Somethin"

Wow! Such a beautiful and historical choice of arena! The sky is up above and the smooth floors where I stand. There is dust as a sign of aging but a great battle at hand. It seems that we left off where Bully and his trainer had the upper hand in battle. His attacks have successfully landed hits and have managed to protect him from every attack Oxi threw at him. With a sheepish Onix and a confident Tauros ready to go, let the ___ round begin!

The first set of moves are led by Bully who rapidly takes action. The first command was an Earthquake. Bully made no hesitation to begin trampling the ground ruthlessly feeling high and mighty. Dust rose as the ground cracked and momentarily split sending a series of the floor we stand on up and about roughly. Oxi dove underground through a small crack with her rocky body slithering with ease after her. The crack had already been made from the start of the ground shaking move. A gurgling roar of pain erupted from beneath our feet as Oxi took the damage head on.

Prepared to switch to defensive moves, Bully is commanded to duplicate himself. Bully broke into a run that began creating dopplegangers of himself one by one. Each took on the same appearance as they rose out of the dust that was kicked up from beneath Bully's heels. Soon enough, there were four huffing and kicking Tauros stampeding in circles as a challenge to their opponent. Oxi however, never emerged. She remained nestled underground as her energy was restored. The Tauros slowed down and hung his head a little, staring at the cracked ground questioningly.

The last set of attacks are put into play as the bewildered Bully huffed angrily and made yet another thing to hide itself but this was merely a doll that sat on the floor. The Tauros let out a groan taking in the recoil while Oxi roared and thrusted about her surroundings creating another massive movement on the surface and a slight cave in but she managed to resurface with her bulky and buff body to propel her out before she hurt herself. The cracks made from Bully only got bigger and more fragments of the ground took lift off over head. The clones from Double Team dispersed one by one with the risen dust and the doll was hit with all it was worth resulting in a reassuring "Crack." Bully stood unfazed by the Earthquake and let out a challenging snort at the enormous rock snake that stood tall directly infront of him intimidatingly.

Arena Stats
Arena: Roman Colosseum. Huge circular stadium. Dust on floor and 10 foot walls around edge. The floor is rough and misshapen with signs of weakening in the walls from the loose ground.

o
mageslayer99: Bully [M]

128.png

Ability: Anger Point
Energy: 71%

Mood: Feeling a bit challenged

o
ASH 91: Oxi [F]

095.png

Ability: Rock Head
Health: 64%
Energy: 85%

Status: Her body is throbbing from the Earthquake Bully used
Mood: She is pumped in spirit and energy but feeling uneasy health wise​

KQ's Reff Notes:
-Bully's Earthquake was not avoided since it affects the ground which is where Oxi hid
-Bully's Earthquake was docked down one point due to anti-STAB
-Earthquake was then doubled since Oxi is weak against it
-Oxi dug underground without trouble
-Bully made a random amount of clones (3->3%)
-Oxi regained 5% energy from using up one of five chills
-Bully replaced himself with a doll after giving up 10% health
-Oxi's Earthquake destroyed all clones and had enough damage points to break the doll in one shot
-Bully is back on the field defenseless facing his opponent
-Oxi is highly motivated by her success
-Energy usage per attack was docked by one point since Bully does not evolve
-The arena has taken a real beating and the walls can fall after another Earthquake or two
-ASH 91 attacks first next round
-megaslayer99 attacks next
-I reff ^^;

Last edited:
Blaziking175

Battle description isn't bad in terms of simply conveying what's going on. However, I'm a little skeptical about the "too afraid to dig" thing. In any case, there are more pressing problems. First, double team produces clones based upon the user's speed, and unless the user is incredibly fast or has a ton of speed boosts, it's not going to get above five clones. Most pokémon do no better than two or three. Ten is really out there. Additionally, clones do not produce substitutes (and substitutes don't produce clones), so there should never have been more than twelve tauros on the field. And finally, all the clones would disappear after earthquake for the same reason that all clones disappear in a hailstorm--they are all affected by the earthquake. The substitute can save its creator (though you didn't really go into "how" here), but if the clones were on the field when that earthquake ripped through, they're going to get smashed. In any case, the number of clones remaining should be noted in the end round stats.

If you're only taking 10% energy off for making ten clones, 7% seems a bit much to ask for an earthquake. Other than that, there wasn't really much done in terms of health/energy, no real problems.

Most problems have to do with the interaction of attacks as opposed to description or calculation problems. This round sort of exemplifies a lot of fairly obscure situations, but these do occur in the course of normal battle. I'm a bit torn, but in the end I'm going to say Not Approved here.

o_O

Your description isn't too bad, but it's made somewhat difficult to read by weird grammar problems like "making the Onix starting to be scared." You don't really describe the second earthquake at all, though, and the last paragraph is difficult to comprehend in general. Why do some of the clones disappear and not others? At one point, it sounds like all the clones produced substitutes, but then there was only reference to one sub in the end. What's more strange still, though, is how only some clones were destroyed. What saved the others? They were all hit by earthquake, and therefore damaged. Doesn't that mean they all should have disappeared? And while six clones is better than ten, it's still about double the expected number.

Bully took a ton of damage. I'm guessing he took damage from earthquake despite the substitute, but even so... dig + earthquake is no more than 20% damage, surely. Energy is okay.

The battle description could use a little polish, but what's more lacking is an understanding of the way some attacks interact in ASB. This is why it's a good idea to read other people's battles in order to see how these scenarios are typically handled. I also have no idea what was going on with the damage against Bully. Not Approved

Crowned Clown

Your battle description's pretty good. I'm not sure why Oxi didn't just dig up instead of letting himself get trapped; I know that the trainer's orders were somewhat ambiguous as to whether he was supposed to stay underground or surface immediately, but in his panic I would think that he'd choose to attack immediately, commands notwithstanding. You actually got the number of clones and their interaction with substitute and earthquake down correctly, though, so kudos for that.

Your energy scale runs higher than the one I use now, but I don't see any real problem with health or energy here.

Good reffing. Approved

Kindling Queen

The battle description is much better than before; there are still some awkwardly worded sentences and so on, but it's fairly clear nonetheless. Not sure why Oxi didn't come up and attack on the first action--or why she didn't wait until the earthquake was over to dig, thereby avoiding the worst of the damage (unless she did; doesn't look like it from the way you described it, though). The number of clones generated shouldn't be random, although about three is good for a tauros.

It looks like you docked a point from Bully's energy for his level of evolution, but didn't similarly take one off Oxi for the consideration of STAB; I think you ought to have done so. Earthquake's power would be doubled against an underground opponent, and I don't double damage for single-SE attacks anymore, but given the rationale that you're using, Oxi's health is fine.

Your battle description is still a bit shaky in that it is somewhat difficult to read and understand; however, your calculations are pretty solid, and you got the double team/substitute stuff here just fine. Approved

Paychecks

Byrus: 1 2 = $20
Icalasari: 1 = $6
Keta: 1 = $10
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3 = $30
Kusarigamaitachi: 1 = $10
Negrek: 1 2 3 4 5 = $50
PichuK: 1 = $6

Back
Top Bottom