• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Jewel Espeon

Your description is a bit lacking. The idea is to explain how the pokémon use their attacks and how their attacks interact with the opponent, not simply to list off what attacks each pokémon managed to accomplish. Therefore, things like "Jynx fired a blizzard attack" are generally not what one's going for. You also have issues with grammar, which makes the description difficult to read.

Being frozen would not prevent a pokémon from falling asleep under most circumstances. You also failed to mention that Hedwig lost her protect on the first action. You also seem a bit confused by the "attacks next" bit that referees usually include at the bottom of their post--trainers alternate between attacking first and second under almost all circumstances; the state of their pokémon has nothing to do with it. In any case, it would be pikajens attacking first next round, regardless of whether or not Kinzoku is frozen.

Health and energy is fine. However, you have some fairly substantial description problems and missed a couple of points on the battle mechanics. I would work hardest on making your description more descriptive. Not Approved

Prettzel

Your battle description is nicely done. No problems with health or energy usage, either, save for one thing: you seem to have taken a lot of energy off for the first action of rest. It's sort of hard to tell whether this is because you've already cut some off for health restoration that's going to happen later or what; in any case, eight-ish percent energy for 1% health and recovery from freeze (/speed drop) seems a bit much. However, that's the only problem I have; Approved

Last grading and new mocks hopefully to come soon.

Grass King

You're right about the seed bomb thing--Platinum-only attacks aren't currently allowed in this ASB. The signature move thing was my fault too, of course; I forgot to copy its details in with the commands.

Your battle description is pretty good, just a couple of minor errors here and there. However, in terms of health and energy, things look a bit confused. First of all, Squash has lost more health than Kusari, and given the nature of counter, it should definitely be the other way around. Also, 7% energy is a little high for Kusari... razor leaf and leech seed really don't cost all that much energy. Squash's energy is more appropriate, given the attacks he used, but I'm not entirely sure how counter worked, so it's a little hard to gauge.

This is pretty borderline... the only thing really strange about it is the counter thing. Approved, I suppose.

New mock battles up whenever I next get online.

THis is an application for the lowest level of referee.

EarthTone:

KyloTorchic(Male)
Health: 99%
Energy: 70%
Heals: 0/3
Chills: 0/5
Status: Amazed not to have been attacked for most of the match, badly Poisoned (1% damage, 2% next round), infatuated with Spiritra (10% chance of being unable to attack her next round).

TojiSquirtle(Female)
Health: 57%
Energy: 57%

LugiaTyranitarHo-oh

BellsBellsprout(Male)
Health: 74%
Energy: 64%

SpiritraMismagius(Female)
Health: 66%
Energy: 51%
Status: Feeling good, has a Substitute (11% health remaining), Special Attack and Special Defense raised (both +1).

Round X

We're back, to this epic battle! To start out, Spiritra is Chilling, but can feel relatively safe due to the substitute. Toji was told to use protect, which saved Spiritra's substitute from having to take an attack and being broken. No other Pokemon were told to attack Spiritra, so she got the chance to just chill for a while. But once Toji attacks with Icy Wind on Bells Spiritra uses Thunderwave, which then paralyzed Toji. Once Tojo tried to use Ice Punch on Bells Bells had already fallen off the pole, but since he was paralyzed he couldn't move. Tojo never successfully preformed another move, so Spiritra never preformed another move

Meanwhile, Kylo uses agility, moving very fast to raise its speed, and now starts running towards Bells, very fast, an Aerial Ace attack, but Bells shoots his vines up to the ski lift, grabbing on to the railing and swinging out of the way. Bells then climbs to the top of the wooden pole and shoots a Giga Drain towards Toji. Bells regains a little more health, and Toji loses a little portion. At this time Toji uses Icy Wind, which knocked Bells off of the Pole, stunning him for a second due to the impact. Kylo took this opportunity to run at Bells with a Peck attack. It hit, spot on. This dealt a slight amount of damage. Toji, who was still paralyzed was then hit by a Razor Leaf from Bells.

End of Round X

Earthtone

KyloTorchic(Male)
Health: 99%
Energy: 56%

TojiSquirtle(Female)
Health: 53%
Energy: 48%

LugiaTyranitarHo-oh

BellsBellsprout(Male)
Health: 70%
Energy: 51%

SpiritraMismagius(Female)
Health: 66%
Energy: 47%
Chills: 1/5

Notes
•I added 1% to Bell's health for 1/2 of Giga Drain's damage
•I flipped a coin to see if Ice Punch was going to make it through, and it landed on tails.​

Last edited:
New novice and advance mocks are up. Also, there should be several promotions/demotions next week; I don't have time to do them now. And finally, I would really not be surprised if I missed a lot of reffings for the last monthish, so don't hesitate to let me know if I stiffed you.

Paychecks

Crazy Linoone: 1 2 3 4 5 = $15
Grass King: 1 2 = $6
Kindling Queen: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 = $21
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3 4 5 = $50
Kusarigamaitachi: 1 2 3 4 = $40
moon-panther: 1 = $3
MurrMurr: 1 2 = $6
Negrek: 1 2 3 = $30 + 1 = $45
PichuK: 1 = $6
Prettzel: 1 = $3

Much as I hate to get less money, I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to pay me for the Empoleon vs Prettzel one--that's an e-reffing, and I didn't get a paycheck for the other two or so rounds I reffed. You also linked to the same round of Grimdour vs Jewel Espeon twice. I don't remember off the top of my head exactly what I did since the last paycheck that wasn't e-reffing, but I can double check in a minute.

EDIT: No, that's it. So I get $30, not $50 (but am still the richest person in ASB so who cares, nyah).

Last edited:
*cough* F'would like to try for Advanced Ref.

Negrek
Diatribe feraligatr Female
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Weasel Overlord
Yaotyl granbull Male
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

ROUND 1​

The two Trainers walk into the stadium, and inspect the battlefield. The referee is at the side of the stadium already. She raises her hand, and nods to the Trainers to start. Negrek moves first, at the consent of her opponent. Red light streams from the Pokeball, forming into a bipedal alligator-like shape. The Feraligatr, Diatribe, calmly moves forward to face Weasel Overlord. The Trainer nods, and throws his own Pokeball to the ground. The red light forms into a bipedal canine, a Granbull. Both Trainers give commands to thier Pokemon and move into place.

The Granbull, Yaotyl, leaps for Diatribe's leg and latches on with his big jaw, sparks seeming to run down his fangs. Diatribe roars, and raises a clawed hand. Her claws harden and she brings down her hand on the Granbull, who takes the blow between the ears. The suprised and dazed Yaotyl lets go and shakes his head. In the few seconds Yaotyl is out, Diatribe has busied herself with creating a Substitute. She imagines a mirror image of herself standing beside her, and concentrates on the smaller details, like her scales and eyes. The Substitute turns it head slightly to look at the Feraligatr, who runs alongside the fake to the pond. But Yaotyl won't have that. He takes a giant leap at the two Feraligatr and slams into both of them, pulling the two to the edge of the lake. Diatribe growls, and kicks up mud around her and her substitute. The two Feraligatr separate, moving in opposite directions. Yaotyl looks in suprise at the two. He shakes his head, and points both of his palms at one of the Feraligatr. The Substitute screeches as a bolt of energy hits it, and Diatribe twitches. The Thunderbolt looked painful, even weakened by the Mud Sport. The referee raises her hand, and motions for the two Trainers to act.

Negrek
Diatribe feraligatr Female
Health: 88%
Energy: 82%
Status: Worrying about how long the Substitute will last. Substitute has 7%.

Weasel Overlord
Yaotyl granbull Male
Health: 76%
Energy: 84%

Ref notes
-Thunderbolt was cut in half because of Mud Sport
-Colours and sprites were added to make this look less dead
-Weasel Overlord attacks first
-Negrek attacks
-I ref

Negrek, I don't receive money for that round; it's an e-reffing and besides which I already cashed it it.

Anyway, more e-reffing cashng in.
8, 8, 8, 8=$32, I think.

Team NEGREK
feraligatr
HEALTH: 100% ENERGY: 100%
Tense and ready for action.

Team WEASEL
granbull
HEALTH: 69% ENERGY: 89%

Filled with nervous energy.

The trainers, Negrek and Weasel, finish giving their orders to their respective Pokemon, a large ferocious-looking blue reptile and an equally scary, although pink, dog. The two Pokemon dash back onto the somewhat plain field, glaring at one another and growling. I step onto the field, wave my flags, and shout;
ROUND ONE, BEGIN!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Action One~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Granbull lunges forward, sprinting straight at the blue alligator that was his enemy. His teeth crackling with electricity, Yaotyl bites deep into Diatribe’s leg, sending waves of tingling pain through the scaly Feraligatr. While the canine was focused, however, Diatribe grabs Yaotyl by the scruff of his neck and bit back, sending her own electricity into the somewhat off-balance Yaotyl. The pink pit-bull is thrown backwards onto the ground. As the dust settles, it is clear that the Granbull had taken quite a bit more damage than his opponent.
{D=-5 H, -6 E, *Ow my leg*}{Y=-12 H, -4 E,*Ow my head*}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Action Two~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As Yaotyl heaves himself up, the Feraligatr thinks. Her master said to use Mud Sport if her enemy looked like he would get to her before she could use Substitute, so she runs over to the pond and splashes around, covering her usually scintillating hide with dark brown mud. Meanwhile, the battered Granbull runs towards his opponent, grabbing her b her tail and swinging her around, throwing her with freakish strength. She crashes to the ground, sliding a bit on her muddy hide.
{D=-8 H, -10 E, *Why you little…*}{Y=-12 H, -4 E,*Ha-ha! Take THAT!*}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Action Three~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The pink canine sneers triumphantly at his opponent, and then looks to the sky and concentrates. Looking for payback, Diatribe stands up, starting to attack, only to be assaulted by a large bolt of lightning. Her head reeling, the mud-covered alligator takes solace in the fact that her layer of grime absorbed much of the electricity. Shaking her head, Diatribe charged at her foe, hitting him once…twice…three times, leaving three smears of mud and three bruises on Yaotyl’s chest.

Team NEGREK
feraligatr
HEALTH: 83% ENERGY: 81%
Still somewhat reeling from shock, happy with her revenge.

Team WEASEL
granbull
HEALTH: 69% ENERGY: 89%
Looking with anger at his muddy foe, rubbing his chest.

Notes:
1. Thunderbolt lost half of its power due to Mud Sport.
2. I assumed Yaotyl's ability was Quick Feet.

Last edited:
Not Negrek but, hey Blastoise? Kill the color tags please, it's impossible to read most of your most in Minimal Dewgong. :|

Applying for Novice.
((There are no abilities!))

Pre-round stats:
porygon
Datum
Energy: 90%

houndor
Vaka
Health: 87%
Energy: 87%

Status: Paralyzed. (Attacks requiring movement have 50% chance of succeeding)​

Pre-round:
A big, round full moon shines down on the battlefield. It eerily illuminates the surroundings; A pond, positioned right in the middle of the courtyard, reflecting the moon onto itself, some strange-looking statues, and some flowerbeds, exposing the beauty of some nocturnal flowers. The trainers stand on some highly polished rock paths, while the fighters stand on opposite sides of the courtyard, awaiting orders from their trainers.

The trainers call out their commands, each with decisive force.

Round x:

Vaka starts out with a Substitute. She cringes as some of her life force is drained from her body. As this goes on, an accumulation of what looks like a Houndor doll appears on the ground. She disappears into the perpetual midnight darkness, waiting to strike any unsuspecting enemies. Datum uses a similar strategy. As life force is drained out of it, it appears to cringe as well, although less noticeably; how can you see emotion on a Porygon? Unlike Vaka, however, Datum disappears in some kind of pixelated cyber zone. A Porygon doll takes its place. As they both wait to strike, the tension increases.

Vaka makes her next move. She starts barking at Datum, teasing it for copying her, and calling it names that I am not allowed to repeat here. Although it's impossible to see Datum's reaction, some kind of digital sigh is heard, faintly. Datum quickly remembers it's next command, and begins to use Tri-Attack. It stores up some energy near its mouth, but somehow, the energy stores at the mouth of the doll instead. It fires a triangle of energy, the vertexes teeming with either fire, ice, or crackling electricity. It passes through the drearily dark air, over the pond, quick as a bullet. In a burst of tri-elemental power, a very small explosion sets off in front of the doll. As the smoke settles, the doll appears intact, albiet a bit torn up.

Vaka, still unseen, tries to channel her energy to the Substitute doll to use Faint Attack. Despite her stiffness, she still amply manages it. A small torrent of dark energy swirls around the doll, making it disappear. It travels through the air, also unseen, toward the Porygon doll. Nearly touching the doll, the Houndor doll reappears and slashes its claws at the Porygon doll. The Porygon doll takes a few scratches and gashes, still alive. The Houndor doll swiftly returns to its previous spot, by the same means as it came. Datum seems to get angry at Vaka for ts insolence; how dare it hurt its doll? Anger-driven, Datum lashes back with this next attack. It concentrates, as small crackles of electricity move around the doll. Suddenly, it bursts into electricity, and a rather large bolt of it flies at the Houndor doll. As it strikes, the doll bursts into a pile of electrically burnt cotton and cloth. A few feet away, Vaka reappears, looking vexed.

Round ending:
porygon
Datum
Energy: 69%

Substitute: 7% (Started with 14%)

houndor
Vaka
Energy: 74%

Status: Paralyzed. (Attacks requiring movement have 50% chance of succeeding)
Substitute: Dead (Started with 14%)

Notes:
- Both substitutes cost 7% energy.
-- I rolled a die, determining the health offset from the "about 15%" for both Substitutes.

- Torment cost 2% energy

- Tri Attack did 9%
-- Tri attack cost 7% energy
-- No status condition

- Faint Attack did 7%
-- Faint Attack cost 4% energy

-Thunderbolt did 7%, destroying Vaka's Substitute.
-- Thunderbolt cost 7% energy

Next round:
- Weasel Overlord attacks
- Negrek attacks
- I ref

Did I pass? ><

Last edited:
Well, I suppose I'll try out for this...*Gulps*

Originally Posted by Negrek
Style: 3 vs 3 (one at a time)
DQ: Standard Week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, Sunny Day
Terrain: The Enchanted Courtyard

The enchanted courtyard exists in a state of perpetual midnight, cloaked in darkness and illuminated only by the light of the stars and the full moon. At the center of the courtyard is a wide, shallow pond (max about six and half feet deep, ten or so feet across). The courtyard itself fans out from around the pond, with rows of hedges marching off into the darkness and numerous flowerbeds overflowing with fragrant, night-blooming plants. A few statues are scattered about the area, primarily grim renditions of stern-looking pokémon. The winding paths that lead around the area are paved in a smooth, highly polished stone that gleams mirror-bright in the moonlight, reflecting the night sky perfectly. The reflective nature of these tiles where they surround the central pond makes it difficult to tell where water ends and land begins.

Due to the nature of the enchantment over the courtyard, it will always be nighttime and sunny day may therefore not be used. Naturally, moves requiring the use of sunlight to perform (i.e. solarbeam, morning sun) are much more difficult to perform under these conditions.

Status

Datum (Porygon)
Energy: 90%

Vaka (F Houndour)
Energy: 87%
Status: Paralyzed. (Attacks requiring movement have 50% chance of succeeding)

The two combatants stared eachother down, Vaka twitching slightly against the paralyzing feeling creeping through her body. As both trainers send out their orders, the two close their eyes and focus at the same moment. Forcing energy to come into a corpeal form was difficult, but two ghostly shapes began to form out of the air, copies of the Houndour and Porygon, silent figures meant only to defend their doubles.

Datum(-0HP, -7EP) Vaka(-0HP, -7EP)

Datum opens it's eyes to see, as her trainer warned, a double. Remembering orders, Datum begins to charge up it's swift attack to take down this doppleganger. Forming small, star shaped projectiles, it released them at the two Houndours. One of them, while not actually moving, scooted infront of the other one, absorbing the impacts of all the projectiles, which swerved to connect. Vaka, grinning smugly to herself, before yelling out a very bad insult in Pokemonese. THe Porygon paused, running the insult through a translator, and then slumped...the order could not be executed properly...efforts were in vain...it didn't work once. Poor Datum...

Datum(-0 HP, -3 EP) Vaka(-0 HP, -3 EP) Wow...how...oddly even.
Datum Double: 15% Health. Vaka Double: 7% health.

Datum, noting that doing the same thing would prove innefective twice, a conclusion brought about logically by evidence of the doppleganger and the data submitted via Vaka's torment, concluded that it's other order. It began to charge up electicity before it, taking time to direct at it's opponent, and unleashed the electrical energy. Vaka shied back as the force made contact with her precious substitute, causing it to disintigrate into mere whisps that, for a second, held a vaguely houndour-like form. Which was quite creepy, actually. Vaka, growling, moved to dart into the shadows and surprise her digital prey...before, suddenly, the muscles in her legs seized up. She pitched forward, landing on the ground with an undignified yelp, and groaned inwardly. This sucked.

Datum(-0 HP, -5 EP) Vaka(-0 HP, -1 EP)

Datum (Porygon)
Energy: 75%

Vaka (F Houndour)
Energy: 76%
Status: Paralyzed. (Attacks requiring movement have 50% chance of succeeding) Feels vaguely cheated by fate.

Notes:
-Datum's substitue has 15% health left. Vaka's was destroyed.
-Vaka was paralyzed for her final action, and used 1% energy trying to pull it off.
-Torment will be in effect for another 4 actions
-Weasel Overlord attacks first next round

...Did I pull it off?

Dragon

The battle description is short, but it gets the job done. I have to say that it sounds like Yaotyl's strength attack hit both Diatribe and the substitute, though, which shouldn't happen and doesn't appear reflected in the damage calculations. Something about the mud sport should be included in the final stats, too--whether or not it's still in effect, mainly (which it should be).

I'm quite confused by the damage and energy calcs. First of all, Diatribe got off a substitute that I'm guessing was worth 15%... and yet she hasn't even taken 15% damage. I'm guessing that you had thunder fang do 12% damage and the sub be worth nothing... but 12% is a *lot* for a non-STAB, unboosted thunder fang, and then strength and thunderbolt together somehow did only 8%. Mud sport doesn't weaken electric attacks all that much--the sub would probably have taken at least 8% from that alone. In terms of energy, I'm not really sure. I should hope that you took the sub's health out of energy if you didn't touch HP, but that would mean that Diatribe used barely any energy for her other attacks, which isn't right, either. Yaotyl's energy is okay, though.

It's pretty much the health and energy that's got you here, and I imagine that it's largely as a result of the substitute. The health of a substitute is taken directly from the health of the pokémon creating it, and it costs about half as much energy to make as it has health. Not Approved

Blastoise428

Your battle description is decent, and my objections are primarily aesthetic. For example, the strength attack came off as rather powerful, despite the fact that feraligatr weighs almost twice what granbull does--it's unlikely that a pokémon that disadvantaged in terms of weight would be able to do something so spectacular. Also, the counter attack wouldn't have involved any electricity, as feraligatr isn't capable of generating any. These concerns don't have any real effect on the battle itself, though.

You should note whether or not the mud sport is still effective in the ending stats somewhere.

You break down when it comes down to health and energy. There wasn't any notation for the third set of attacks, although I can infer what they were worth... but it's the second action that's the most problematic. The fact that mud sport took over twice as much energy as throwing a two-hundred-pound alligator around should be a good indication that something is wrong. It looks like thunderbolt did 4% damage, which is strange, given that its base power is 90, so considering weakness it's going to be doing about 6% damage even when reduced in power. That's not bad, really, but it looks like it only took 3% energy to fire off that thunderbolt, which, again, just doesn't make sense considering how you've priced other attacks.

It's really the energy that gets you here. Looking over your energy scores, I'm not quite sure how arrived at the numbers you did. The most important thing with energy is to make more strenuous attacks cost more; in the reffing here, that doesn't appear to be the rule. Not Approved

Lucas755

The attack description is okay, but you have issues with grammar and minor mistakes, and at times your syntax is rather clumsy, making it a chore to read. The duration of torment should be noted somewhere in the ending stats.

Here we have another instance of what appears to be a very low-cost substitute, as Datum hasn't lost any health when all is said and done. It looks like you took half the energy out for the substitute generation, at least, but the substitute's health has to come from somewhere. I also don't understand why tri attack took as much energy to use as thunderbolt, despite the fact that it is both STAB and weaker than t-bolt. You also appear to penalize non-STAB attacks quite heavily.

This is a pretty borderline reffing; the battle description could use a little cleaning up, but the primary problem here was the use of the substitute; it's an incredibly common attack, so you have to understand how it works. Your health and energy scales might be a little odd, but this small a sampling of direct attacks doesn't give a good picture of that. Not Approved

Animorph

The battle description is okay, but you have some grammar issues (commonly using "it's" instead of "its," for example), and some difficulty staying in one tense. At times, your sentence structure can get quite odd. A little proofreading would be welcome.

Typically, when a trainer commands an attack to be used if there are "clones" on the field, this means double team clones, rather than substitutes. I probably wouldn't have complained about this in this reffing as it got the job done anyway, but if the lower-powered swift hadn't been able to break the substitute, I probably would have told you to go back and reref. The duration of torment should be noted in the end stats somewhere.

Like everyone else who tried for substitute, you haven't taken anything out of health, which is incorrect. Other than that, your damage and energy looks to be fine, however.

Besides the substitute thing, the major weakness of this reffing was in the description itself--primarily in terms of grammar. The swift thing was a bit off-putting as well, but that's more specific to this reffing, so just something to keep in mind with that, I guess. Not Approved

Promotions and Demotions

Crazy Linoone -> Advanced
Crowned Clown -> Delisted
MurrMurr -> Advanced
Seritinajii -> Delisted

Paychecks

Chiropter: 1 2 = $10
Crazy Linoone: 1 2 = $12
Grass King: 1 2 = $6
Kindling Queen: 1 2 3 = $9
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3 4 = $40
Kusarigamaitachi: 1 2 = $20