• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Also, can a ref... um, ref... their own battles? Provided, of course, that they are entirely unbiased.

To Scyther: 'Joeseph' is incorrect. 'Joseph' is correct. Besides that if you are going to shorten my name, I'd like it to be shortened to "<J:NS>" (without quotes).

Ned Flanders said:
Okelydokely.
Didn't want to, particularly, but just wondering. Would make things a bit more convenient, though.

So yeah, any idea when the novice-level mock'll be up?

Also, when I'm trying to get approved: is it okay if I factor in base ATK / SPATK / DEF / SPDEF stats? I tend to think of it as 10 points making 1% difference, but just to confirm it's okay...

Last edited:
Promotions

Crazy Linoone -> Advanced

Paychecks

Aethelstan: 1 = $7
blazheirio889: 1 = $13
Crazy Linoone: 1 2 = $20
Kratos Aurion: 1 = $13
Kusarigamaitachi: 1 = $13
Lars the Turtwig: 1 = $10
Metallica Fanboy: 1 2 3 4 + $5 = $33
Mike the Foxhog: 1 2 3 4 + $5 = $45
Negrek: 1 2 3 = $39
Psymon: 1 = $7

Last edited:
Trying for the Novice Level.

Arena Description:
Pokemon Partner versus sammy0295
Type: 1 vs. 1
PKMN Out: One per Trainer
DQ: 4 days
Damage Caps: 33%
Restrictions: No OHKO moves ; No Perish Song ; No Destiny Bond ; Basic- or baby-stage PKMN ; 3 chills per Pokemon.
Arena Name: Stark Mountain
Arena Description: Stark Mountain is a huge, rocky, volcanic mountain off of Route 227 in the D/P/Pt video game collection which houses to various Fire-type Pokémon, including the legendary Heatran. Throughout the battle, However, the Fire- and Metal-type Pokémon has a 10% chance per round of getting annoyed by the battle causing it to come out and aim a Metal Sound at one of the Pokémon that are currently out. In addition, there are also a few lava pits scattered about here and there that can occasionally (5% chance) 'spit out' a lava boulder and hit a Pokémon (5% dmg + 10% burn).

Next Round's Commands:
sammy0295 said:
Rasha
Ghastly | Female
Signature Move: None

Go, Rasha, my deviant child! We will inspire fear in all we meet, terror in all who hear of us, and dismay in all who think of us! We will crush any opponent who stands in our way! We have the power to destroy entire nations if we choose! But lucky for most, and unlucky for you, Pokemon Partner, we are satisfied with destroying you! For now....
Mwahahahaha!

(Don't ask. I don't know the answer...)

Pokémon Partner said:
Monferno
Male
No Signature Move

Oooh, I'm so scared of you and your floating ball of poison! I don't think you're fooling anyone, sammy0295, as Monferno, my most trusted pal is going to stop you from reaching those evil dreams of you. Isn't that right?

Mon monferno ferno!

Alright then, lets go. First of all, lets start off with a Fire Blast then kick the nearby rocks to trap him in a Rock Tomb before making sure he feels our fiery desire to stop him with a Will-o-Wisp!

FIRE BLAST ~ ROCK TOMB ~ WILL-O-WISP

sammy0295 said:
That fool thinks he can hurt us? Well, let's show him how wrong he is! Use Double Team to confuse them. Surely confusing them won't be hard! Then use Curse to make that monkey feel the pain of a thousand lost souls! Then use your power to make him take a little nap with Hypnosis. After that, we'll really get into this... (lol)

Double Team~Curse-40%~Hypnosis

Pre-Round Notes
Either I have misunderstood the rules ore someone else has, as they state Banned / Restricted Pokémon: Basic - or Baby - Stage Pokémon, so either they are not allowed and thus Rasha is disallowed, or only they are allowed and Monferno is disallowed. Also, Rasha is not a 'Ghastly'.

Round 1

sammy0295
Rasha
Gastly
Ability:
Levitate
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Condition: Crush him! Smash him! Kill him! The powers of a thousand souls!
Commands: Double Team ~ Curse ~ Hypnosis

Pokémon Partner
Monferno
Ability:
Blaze
Condition: You’re creepy. I’ll beat you.
Commands: Fire Blast ~ Rock Tomb ~ Will-O-Wisp

A volcanic mountainside, randomly placed pools of lava and lots of irritated Steel-type Pokémon… not everyone’s choice of battleground, but these trainers seem to want to use it. Flying in on the backs of three Staraptor, they land and the referee, a dark-haired boy in black-and-blue clothes, recalls them to their Pokéballs. They all assume their battle positions, the ref shoos away a couple of Aron, and the battle can begin.

Rasha may have gotten her orders first, but Monferno is faster; he inhales deeply while Rasha darts about, and breathes out a huge plume of fire which distrupts Rasha’s concentration and scorches her black(er). Rasha quickly regains her bearings, however, and darts around again, and when she stops, she has four clones in tow. Monferno is rather irritated by this; more of those irritating things? But pulls up three huge boulders nonetheless and hurls them towards the Gastly that he hopes is solid. He is disappointed, however, by the sight of the three targets flickering and disappearing. Rasha takes this as her opportunity to attack; she starts flickering with an eerie black light and suddenly screams in pain; a second later, the same happens to Monferno. Getting very annoyed now, Monferno tries to shake it off but is irritated by the throbbing at the back of his head. He suddenly breathes out a small cloud of blue flame which wobbles erratically towards Rasha and envelops her; she screams once more and when the fire clears, the floating black head has a small, throbbing burn on its underside. Growling about the irritating Monferno, her eyes glow blue with psychic energy and it slowly spreads to envelop Monferno too; he tries to stay focussed and awake but is just too tired, and his eyes close as he gives way to sleep.

End Of Round 1

sammy0295
Rasha
Gastly
Ability:
Levitate
Health: 78%
Energy: 39%
Condition: Grr… Irritating Monferno… Burns… Pain… Tiredness… Mutter…

Pokémon Partner
Monferno
Ability:
Blaze
Health: 86%
Energy: 84%
Condition: Zzzzzzz… Zzz…

Field Status:
Several rocks are strewn around from Rock Tomb.

Notes:
Not quite sure when to randomise the lava pit/boulders, so I did it once per action per Pokémon.
Random.org gave me all numbers over 5%, so it doesn’t matter anyway.
Also got a number over 10%, so no Metal Burst.
I'm not quite sure what was meant by '40% Curse', so I just went with what it says in the attacks and abilities guide.
I always factor in Offensive and Defensive stats, so some damage is boosted. I calculate this by taking the difference between the two, rounding it off, and dividing it by 10, and affecting the damage by that much. This actually only affected Fire Blast.
Fire Blast did 17% damage and cost 7% energy.
Double Team cost 6% energy; the number of clones was unspecified so I went with 5.
Rock Tomb missed; cost 4% energy nonetheless.
Curse cost 50% energy; did 9% damage.
Will-O-Wisp cost 6% energy; caused a burn which did 5% damage.
Hypnosis cost 5% energy.
Pokémon Partner attacks first this round.

Last edited:
To Scyther: 'Joeseph' is incorrect. 'Joseph' is correct. Besides that if you are going to shorten my name, I'd like it to be shortened to "<J:NS>" (without quotes).
Um, what? Uppity much? I mean, jesse, I get that you don't want you're name to be misspelled, but seriously, it's not like I'm ever really going to talk to you again. People get annoyed when you try to correct their every mistake.

My mock ref:

Restrictions: No OHKO moves ; No Perish Song ; No Destiny Bond ; Basic- or baby-stage PKMN ; 3 chills per Pokemon.
Arena Description: Stark Mountain is a huge, rocky, volcanic mountain off of Route 227 in the D/P/Pt video game collection which houses to various Fire-type Pokémon, including the legendary Heatran. Throughout the battle, However, the Fire- and Metal-type Pokémon has a 10% chance per round of getting annoyed by the battle causing it to come out and aim a Metal Sound at one of the Pokémon that are currently out. In addition, there are also a few lava pits scattered about here and there that can occasionally (5% chance) 'spit out' a lava boulder and hit a Pokémon (5% dmg + 10% burn).

Stark Mountain. This dark, craggy volcano rose high above Sinnoh, surpassing everything but Mt. Coronet, casted a darkened shadow upon all of Route 227. Smoke steadily billowed from the peak, and ash aptly danced downwards, leaving a steady, gray covering on the mountain's rocky body. Bubbling pools of lava were scattered about the rocky terrain, and little to the public's knowledge, these were also were the legendary Heatran lurked.

The stocky referee stumbled up this grand landmark, nervous, yet as always perky, ready to referee his first battle. Hefting his backpack filled of unnessary items, he approached the flat ridge where two trainers chatted idly about astrophysics and whatever-deep-philosphy. Seeing their refferee approach, their faces immedietly became stoical and they walked to seperate sides of the sides of the field (because, you know, an Internet Pokemon battle is the most serious thing in the world).

Two red spheres. To the left, on sammy's side, a gaseous bubble of poision formed from a white flash and began cackling like only a ghost Pokemon could. After licking her trainer face good-naturedly (the look on sammy's face was priceless,) the gastly turned to watch her opponent materialize.

To the right, however, a fire/fighting type chimp was called forth. Babbling madly ("monferno ferno fern"), he jumped up and and down, eagerly awaiting his trainer's orders, not noticing (or caring?) about the type advantage the ghost Pokemon had.

sammy0295
Gastly
Rasha, Female
Double Team~Curse~Hypnosis

Pokemon Partner
Monferno
Monferno, Male
Fire Blast~Rock Tomb~Will-O-Wisp

As the referee brought down the red flag and the trainers issued their orders, Rasha wasted no time in sprinting (uh, floating) in a circle around Pokemon Partner's Pokemon. Monferno spun around, not intimidated by the eery laugh that rang through the side of the mountain, but confused by the three floating purple ghosts that hovered around him, tauntingly sticking their tounges out simutaneously.

Well, Monferno certainly wasn't taking that. The flames on his tail turned from red to white as he heated up his fire sac. The oxogen whirled down the mandrill's windpipe, and as inevitable, his throat's tempature steadily increased until it combusted altogether. As Monferno's jaw dropped these flames escaped into the surronding mountainside, in a firery display that was truely spectacular. The aftermath? Rather disappointing, because as the massive fire attack hit the wrong ghost, leaving only a K of fire and a bit of ash in it's wake.

The real Rasha was a bit unnerved by the sheer power of the move, even more so by the fact that if if the Monfeno's head had been turned to the left a bit it would be quite a sticky situation for the ghost. Regardless, she laughed again began to summon power from the spirit world. Monferno stared at Rasha, tiliting his head slightly, trying to decfier the ghost Pokemon's intentions, but then decided to begin summoning power for his own move. Switching his mindset to that of one using a rock-type move, Monferno began to crack the rocks on the mountain they were standing on, begin to roll and levitate them, just about to crush the poison gas under the weight of rock, until:

A nail. A long, five-inch nail that had seemingly appeared from nowhere was now levating in front of Rasha. Monferno immedietly lost focus and control on the rocks, getting ready to dodge in the case that Rasha intended to impale it into him with the object, knowing that it could cause some serious damage. Quickly he glanced at the referee, wanting him to make a call, say this was against rules, but no, he did nothing. By the time Monferno looked back at Rasha, the nail was in her skull, and ebony blood poured down her face and covered her eyes. The chimp rushed foward towards his oppenent, glancing at the trainers, wanting them to do something, but no, they just stood there staring. What the hell was wrong with them? Not knowing what to do, Monferno reached foward, once again quickly looking at the referee, and touched the ghost. It was cold.

Ghost couldn't die... could they?

Rasha began shaking violently, laughing manicly. It wasn't like before, it was like it struck some wrong, primal cord. Monferno began backing up, squeling, but the ghost rushed foward and enveloped him in darkness, suffacating him, burning at his body. The flame at the tip of his tail estinguished.

Then it was gone. Once again, Rasha was on the other side battle field, levatating around as before, the trainers staring intently at the two Pokemon. Monferno just sat on the ground, his body stinging and his brain whirling as the flame on his tail sputtered back to life. What the...

Whatever just happened, it wasn't happening again. Monferno, now infuriated at Rasha for making him feel sympathy at what was so obviously a dirty trick (because that's what it had to be, right?) took control over the rocks again with a righteous fury, lifting particle he could expense, and dropped it all on the gastly, trapping it in a... tomb of stones.

Rasha lay, feeling defeated after all the pain she had inflicted on herself and the energy it would take her to get out. Hypnosis, huh? Well, that wouldn't exacley work now, would it? Reluctantly, Rasha began the very ineffcient chore of moving the rocks by tounge, wanting very desprately just to phase out, but not daring to do so because it was against the rules to do so unless a trainer directly commanded it. And she daren't risk cheating, what with that devily handsome referee watching.

Now for Will-O-Wisp. Simple enough. Monferno's tail, always an indication of what he is doing, glowed a light purple. The mandrill took two handfuls of this flame, looking delightfully demonic, and tossed them at the pile of rocks. Rasha thought she was getting a break, after all the damage this round, but was sadly incorrect. The ghost-fire crept through the rocks and burnt at the gastly's face. A scream rang through the stadium. Apparently, this fire didn't need oxogen to burn.

The round ended with uncertainty. Rasha's muffled screams brought an element of creepiness into the stadium, and Monferno was still wary of that 'trick' played on him and scared that she may try it again. Bot even to mention that terrible overhanging feeling he had been bearing since the ghost freaked out on him. The pools of lava are bubbling quite intensly.

sammy0295
Gastly
Rasha, Female
Health: 43%
Energy: 92%
-Burned, 3% damage each round. -1 speed.

Pokemon Partner
Monferno
Monferno, Male
Health: 90%
Status: Eh. Pleased with the fact that Rasha is trapped and her clones are gone, but a bit shaky and nervous.
-Cursed, 10% damage per round.

Notes:
-I'm not quite sure what you meant by 40% on curse: it always takes 50% of the Pokemon's health. (What this from the old system or something?)
- I think 4% damage for Rock Tomb seems ridiculously low, but that's what it is, correct?
-Monferno took 10% damage from Curse, Rasha took 3% from the burn.
-Rasha's first clone disappered after Fire Blast, the second on sometime during Rock Tomb.
-Rock Tomb was described as the shaking of the ground, but I didn't do that because it is much like a ground move and Gastly levitates. So, I edited a bit.
-sammy attacks first, the Pokemon Partner.
-I theoreticly ref.

Last edited:
Um, what? Uppity much? I mean, jesse, I get that you don't want you're name to be misspelled, but seriously, it's not like I'm ever really going to talk to you again. People get annoyed when you try to correct their every mistake.
Yes, but obsessive-compulsive disorder is a powerful thing.
Also, you mean 'your name', not 'you're name'.
Also, I think you mean 'jeese', not 'jesse'. 'Jesse' is a name.

Last edited:
Kid, don't go there. You don't have OCD you have a control complex. OCD is a severe functional disability and people like you are exactly what undermines the syndrome and allows every mother with a failure of a child to blame something other than themselves. For fucks sake even -you- call it an excuse. Put up or shut up and get out.

Okay, thank you, the discussion can end now. I gave <J:NS> a warning, let's not derail the thread any further and risk other people getting any.

My mock ref (novice):

Monferno:
FIRE BLAST ~ ROCK TOMB ~ WILL-O-WISP
Gastly:
Double Team~Curse-40%~Hypnosis

Pokémon Partner, please pick a different Pokémon. Monferno is not a basic stage or baby stage Pokémon.

But really, if we ignore that rule:

Various trainers gather around as three humans walk into the cave. A makeshift arena is constructed, with some help from the nearby trainers. As the finishing touches are finished, two of the three stand on either side of the arena, with the third off to the side. With that, the one nearest to the entrance to a deeper part of the cave throwing a small sphere which lets out another glowing sphere, gradually fading into a dark ghost-like floating ball. On the other side, Pokémon Partner, after contemplating his choice, let out a jumping primate with fire on its tail. The ref, seeing both out, starts to pick up the flags to announce the beginning of the battle. He dropped them. Turning redder by the second, he quickly picked them back up and said,
“Round 1, Begin!”
Monferno began to gather fire up in his throat, as he saw Rasha on the other side, getting ready to use her first move. Just as the monkey was about to release the energy, Rasha flew around, leaving three images behind. The giant star of flame coming from Monferno’s mouth headed straight towards the Gastly in the middle, and just kept on going.

[Monferno: -8% energy]
[Rasha: -4% energy]

Obviously frustrated by his miss, Monferno becomes angry. Why did that attack have to miss? This time, changing tactics, he jumps into the air, coming down at such an angle that the rocks by a nearby ghost fall on it, and go through it, as it disappears, leaving only two left, one being a clone. Taking some of her health, Rasha begins to follow certain paths and movements, reciting an ancient ritual she learned from her ancestors, calling for help, giving some of her health, to put a curse on the opposing Monferno. A darkness envelops both of them, leaving Monferno slightly confused and Rasha weakened. Cutting of the curse early so as to not damage herself too much, the Gastly seals up the barrier to the beyond. From the cave next to Sammy, a large… something… comes out, looking angrily at Monferno for disturbing it. Opening its mouth, it makes a noise like scraping metal out at the primate, who covered his ears and grimaced.

[Monferno: -6% energy, special defence down 2 levels]
[Rasha: -8% energy, -20% health]

Now, Monferno began to really get annoyed. The annoying clones, constant missing, then the Heatran that had singled him out; his luck was running low. He saw Gastly give him a stare, to which he responded with a stare back, thinking it was a challenge. Fighting consciousness, the fire monkey grew into a deep slumber.

[Monferno: -4% curse health, sleeping]
[Rasha: -4% energy]

End of Round One!
Monferno:Monferno
Health: 96%
Energy: 86%
Status: Sleeping (4 more actions), cursed (40%), Sp. Def: -2
Condition: Angry at everything at the moment, probably dreaming about the thousands of ways to kill Rasha.

Rasha (Gastly): Gastly
Health: 80%
Condition: Happy at Monferno’s anger and how the round went.

Notes:
Curse was hit at 40% of its usual: it cost 20% health, and only dealt 4% damage each round.
Both of Monferno’s attacks missed.
Sammy attacks first, followed by Pokémon Partner

Last edited:
I noticed that thing about basic and baby stage Pokemon too, but figured Negrek would want us to do the ref anyway :P

Yes, Monferno should not have been allowed in this battle based on the challenge stipulations, but you would hardly have gotten approved by posting a round of "sorry you can't do that."

<Joseph: Night SHADE>

Please space your battle description out more. Having all actions crammed into one paragraph makes it difficult to read.

The description itself is mostly okay; there are some typos and grammar issues, but the only major problem is with the description of double team/rock tomb. It is unclear how many clones Rasha produced, first of all, and then Monferno tossed rocks at one of them, only to have three of them disappear. From that point on it sounds as though the gastly has no clones left, although she has two--that should have disappeared after she was struck by will-o-wisp.

Using base stats (other than speed) such that a pokemon with better base stats has an advantage goes against the spirit of ASB. Please do not use them in your calculations unless you can get around this somehow.

Curse sacrifices health, not energy.

Regular burns usually don't do more than 3% energy for an entire round, much less in a single action.

You have quite a few problems in your health and energy calculations, some of which are alluded to above. Other than those, why did will-o-wisp require almost as much energy as fire blast to use? The fire blast itself did a surprising amount of damage, although without other direct damage attacks to compare it to I can't say whether or not it's unreasonable.

A lot of your problems appear to stem from not understanding how things work in ASB very well. I suggest you become more comfortable with battling before trying out for referee. Your battle description is probably the best part of this mock, but you still need to work on clarity. Not Approved

Scyther

Please include damage and energy costs for all attacks used in a mock reffing you do.

Given how long it must have taken you to type up the body of this reffing, I'm surprised you didn't bother to spellcheck it; there are a lot of spelling errors in there. For the most part it's okay, but at times it becomes incoherent ("lifting particle he could expense"). Presumably Rasha's second clone disappears after she is hit by rock tomb, but this is not made clear.

Health and energy appear fine, although I really wish you would have included all of your calculations.

Although your description could use some more proofreading, this is overall a decent reffing. Approved

Sage Noctowl

Your battle description is okay in that it generally describes what's happening, but you have a lot of grammar and mechanical problems that make it difficult to read through. You also shift tense, starting in the past tense, shifting to present for the paragraph describing curse and and then back to past for the last paragraph. Sometimes your descriptions are a little vague, but I think that's more an issue of bad construction than really lacking in description.

Your interpretation of a 40% curse is unusual, but incorrect. The 40% was a mistake on the battlers' part; you cannot request a curse that takes less than 50%. Additionally, when people talk about percentages in ASB, they usually mean raw health or energy points, not percentages of those percentages (e.g. 40% of 50). Other than that health and energy are fine.

The curse issue is the primary problem with this reffing; it really threw your energy and damage off. Your battle description could still use work, though, mostly just in terms of better sentence construction. Not Approved

Promotions

Metallica Fanboy -> Advanced
Mike the Foxhog -> Elite

Paychecks

Blastoise: 1 = $7
blazheirio889: 1 2 3 4 5 = $65
Chiropter: 1 = $13
Crazy Linoone: 1 2 3 4 5 = $50
Kusarigamaitachi: 1 2 3 = $39
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3
4 = $52
Lars the Turtwig: 1 2 = $20
Metallica Fanboy: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 + $5 = $85
Mike the Foxhog: 1 2 3 4 5 6 = $78
Negrek: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 = $114
Psymon: 1 = $7

Last edited:
And, along these lines, some of the other refs' stuff got in my paycheck.

I hate to turn the money down, but...

When cashing in e-reffings do you work out the extra pay from your rank when you did the reffings or the rank you are when you collected the bonus for them? (For instance, if I'm now elite rank but have a few unredeemed e-reffings from back when I was advanced, do I get $18 for them or $15?)

Back
Top Bottom