• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Religion

Watershed said:
And also the argument of "since when is God the authority and why should we take him to be the authority"

Because he asked me for the verse(s)? Pay attention.

Umm...that's talking about divorce, not gays.

I'm pretty sure that when it says "that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female", it's not talking about divorce.

Because he asked me for the verse(s)? Pay attention.

I'm pretty sure that when it says "that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female", it's not talking about divorce.

But the bible makes mention to it all the time. Nothing else in this verse suggests that it's in the context of gay marriage, and if that's really what it means, it's terribly vague, way too vague to justify allowing it to infringe on the civil rights of others.

MUCH LIKE THE REST OF THE BIBLE AMIRITE

it's correct because it's in a book right

also MD let's hold a wedding ceremony in a church (of the Fisk maybe?) it will piss Sir Lucario off

I'd still like an answer to how gay marriage is against Christianity when Jesus said nothing about it and the silly Old Testament rules don't apply anymore.

Because apparently the city of Sodom died because they were *gasp* homosexuals. (Thus, our word sodomy)

Honestly, I'm Catholic, but I don't think we can just say "You can't get married to another guy/girl because WE SAID SO/ the Bible says you'll burn in hell."

They have the same marriage rights as I do. They want different ones.

Then let em have it. After all, America's supposed to be the land of the free, but without equal rights and choice for everyone, regardless of religion and whatnot, we can't really call ourselves that. Otherwise it'd be...hypocritical, I suppose the word is.

I don't think religion has a place in the law.

I have nothing against religion, but in my own opinion I don't really think it is all that great. I think that, the world would be a more peaceful place without religion. There wouldn't be as many arguments over beliefs and such.

I'm sorry, but it's been voted on, and shot down. I shouldn't be expected to change my beliefs when voting.

If California had banned interracial marriage, would you say the same thing? Especially when the Supreme Court had deemed the ban unconstitutional.

Because it's been voted down? Everyone should have the right to vote according to their personal values, including Christians.

Not when those values violate others' rights.

We aren't disallowing anyone's freedom. Everyone has the right to marry one of the opposite sex. If they choose to be gay, then one of the drawbacks is that they can't marry one of the same sex.

This is complete bullshit. You are denying a group of people a right which they want to have. How is this not discrimination? Analogy time! Say marriage is only legal between people of the same race. "Oh," say the supporters. "Everyone has the right to marry someone of their race, so everyone is equal!"

Not when those values violate others' rights.

Well their values violate MY rights. Double Standard!

This is complete bullshit. You are denying a group of people a right which they want to have. How is this not discrimination? Analogy time! Say marriage is only legal between people of the same race. "Oh," say the supporters. "Everyone has the right to marry someone of their race, so everyone is equal!"

Homosexuality is behavior and should NOT be treated like race.

“There is no research supporting a genetic basis of homosexuality. [It] has been discredited by Scientific America… They’re desperate to find the biological causes. There are none.” – Dr. Richard Fitzgibbons, Philidelphia

“There is no research supporting a genetic basis of homosexuality. [It] has been discredited by Scientific America… They’re desperate to find the biological causes. There are none.” – Dr. Richard Fitzgibbons, Philidelphia

Which is why opal called it an analogy.

How? How does whatever two gays do in bed affect you? How the fuck would it affect you?

ITT: Taking things too literally and stating they're unrelated to win a debate.

Fail more.

How? Why the hell should something two complete strangers do affect you in the slightest?

Why? It is no different from gender, race, religion, or any of multiple other categories we group people into.

I could come up with any number of quotes saying the opposite. Yes, opinion is divided on the issue: what is certain is that it isn't a choice.

Um yeah, my cousin and his boyfriend who don't even know you are certainly violating your rights.
Just what right of yours is being violated here?

Yeah! How dare those gays, demanding civil rights and having their god damn private relationships! It's totally infringing on my rights!

[It] has been discredited by Scientific America… They’re desperate to find the biological causes. There are none.” – Dr. Richard Fitzgibbons, Philidelphia

The question is whether it's a choice or not. Incidentally, you still haven't answered my question about whether you could get it up over provocative guys at will or not.

(I'm not really sure if I'm responding to a point made in the Homosexuality thread or this one, but it applies either way. Really, we should just turn the whole Debating Hall into one thread because they all boil down to "religion is bad, let's all agree on this until some poor believer comes in so we can beat him over the head with the hammer of logic.")

Sir Lucario, you being a Christian is against my values.

My personal ideology says that any religious belief of any kind is highly immoral and and undesirable. Whenever I hear of anyone practicing any religion of any kind, I grow very angry at all the immorality that is occurring. It's not the fact that you are a Christian that offends me, it's the act of going to church, praying, celebrating Christian holidays, etc. that offends me. So kindly stop practicing a religion, Sir Lucario, as it is making me very upset.

I don't really mean what I say in the above text, but you see, my friend, you are being an enormous hypocrite. You go on about how you are allowed to have freedom of worship because this is America, where we have Justice and Equality, but you say that gays should not be allowed to marry simply because you and others like you don't like it. Why? Just because you and others like you have extremely narrow sensibilities (I might even go as far to call you a bigot) doesn't mean that you can deny other people of their rights.

You see, gay people's right to what heterosexuals already have is worth more than your (nonexistent?) right to go through life without being offended. My right to free speech is worth more than your right to not be offended. In general, I really can't stand people who get offended over the slightest thing, and complain to anyone who listens. It's not even like getting offended is an overly unpleasant feeling, at least not when compared to anxiety, fear, depression, grief, jealousy, etc. I mean, sure, it's a type of anger, but it ultimately just fuel's people's self-righteousness meter and allows them to say stuff like "OUR CHILDREN ARE BEING CORRUPTED" and "I'M BEING PERSECUTED FOR MY BELIEFS" and other shit.

Which is another point I'd like to make. It seems like everyone wants to have the feeling that they are being discriminated against so that they can whine to all their friends and try to get a bit of sympathy for their plight. Atheists are certainly guilty of this too, because overall I haven't seen very much discrimination against non-religious people (except possibly in rural areas or among family members). Really, the only major religions I can think that can (at least in the US) legitimately say that they are being discriminated against/mocked/being persecuted/whatever for their religion are Muslims and Scientologists.

But it's especially annoying when Christians do it. No, you are NOT being discriminated against. Over 70% of the US is Christian, iirc, but some of you seem to think that 100% is, and then when people try to tell you that no, not everyone celebrates Christmas, or no, not everyone is interested in the Ten Commandments, you freak out and talk about how you're being oppressed. Yeah... shut up. I think you guys are the ones that need to learn about religious tolerance.

And... that's the end of my pointless rant. D:

I think you guys are the ones that need to learn about religious tolerance.

Oh, I wish. My parents joined a Unitarian Universalist church when we moved, which is basically a church (in name only - it's not Christian) in which we all learn about religious acceptance. This includes actually going to places of worship for other religions (my class has been to an Islam place-of-worship [forget what you call it] and a Buddhist temple so far this year) so that we all have religious acceptance. I don't particularly like going (actually I'd just rather sleep in), but I'm grateful that it teaches about religious acceptance, and I wish everyone could do some of the things that we do.

It would certainly make some religious people a lot less narrow-minded.

Back
Top Bottom