• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Religion

o_o When'd you say that?

Meanwhile Christians are being racist and sexist. :|

That's no better than randomly posting "THOSE GODDAMNED MORMONS ARE RUINING SOCIETY D:<"
It's putting a stereotype on a HUGE group of people (even there are relatively few Mormons, I just like bringing them up). You can't really do that, as not all Christians are racist and/or sexist.

Playing cards were banned in our school because of religion.

THOSE FUCKING MORMONS ARE AT IT AGAIN WHY CANT I PLAY CARDS INSTEAD OF DOING MY SCHOOLWORK I MEAN SRSLY WTH

THOSE FUCKING MORMONS ARE AT IT AGAIN WHY CANT I PLAY CARDS INSTEAD OF DOING MY SCHOOLWORK I MEAN SRSLY WTH

One day at the end of the school year our teacher let us have free time, but she wouldn't let us play cards. My friends and I asked why so, and she responded "playing cards are banned from school for religious purposes."
Not because they got in the way of schoolwork.

I really love getting into 'arguments' over religion with adults, mainly because it's they're fault shit like that happens.

OK, religion-related rant, let's count the amount of justifiable "WTF?"s.

I was in France recently, and my aunt, uncle and mother all wanted to go to Lourdes. My dad is an atheist but didn't mind going and none of the seven children wanted to go. We went. (WTF?)

Shitpissing rain, we're dragged to the grotto-thing. Mother, aunt and uncle line up. No one else does. Mother, aunt and uncle glare at children. (WTF?) Five of children dejectedly get into line. Me and sister stand out with dad. Mother glares. We glare right back. After they come out of the grotto, I ask my mother how it was. She snaps and tells me to stop shoving me beliefs down other people's throats. (WTF?x2)

We spend the day wandering around looking at religious shops. My cousin Dominic says he doesn't want to look at the same high-price, low-quality, extortionist crap over and over. My aunt tells him to stop being like 'him' i.e. me, the atheist. (WTF?)

My uncle and I are looking at some guilded knives with the Virgin Mary on them (WTF?) and he starts a conversation about religion. He asks my beliefs and I say I'm an atheist and he says "Ah, so you don't have any." (WTF?) Then he goes into a big speech that can be summed up in "You're wrong, I'm right, you're too young to decide your lack of beliefs and you'll be Catholic again soon." (WTF?) We go to a nice restaurant and have dinner.

On the way back to our resort, me and Dominic are talking about how stupid it is that people are making money off people's religion and my mother tells us to shut up and stop being so bloody ignorant. (WTF?)

He asks my beliefs and I say I'm an atheist and he says "Ah, so you don't have any." (WTF?)

uh... so? "not having religious beliefs" is a fairly decent definition of atheism, although technically (here I go again) it is not entirely correct.

I found it offensive because there are things I believe but not for religious reasons. I believe in karma for example. Note that he said that I have no 'beliefs' not 'religious beliefs'.

Jeez, stop complaining and think yourself lucky. Lourdes is an amazing place; even if you're an atheist, the place has some absolutely amazing history behind it. You don't have to worship the gods of ancient Egypt to appreciate the pyramids; you don't have to be a religious believer to acknowledge the importance of sites of religious pilgrimage like Lourdes.
Secondly, churches and religious organizations give huge amounts of money to charity (if you're at Lourdes, then it's probably CAFOD). It might be "extortionist crap", but nobody's making you buy it, and it's probably going towards a good cause.
And thirdly, whether it was your choice or not to go, the fact is you were there, and if you were in a place sacred to those who believe and were actually "shoving [your] beliefs down other people's throats" then you're as intolerant as, and hold even less respect for people's own choices than the overzealous fundamentalists who tell random passers-by to repent or you'll burn in hell.
You say you believe in karma - if you're this intolerant of all religious beliefs, maybe being dragged around a site of religious pilgrimage is a sign that you should lighten up a little, ne?

Now let's see.
First of all, it's hard to appreciate the place when I'm ankle deep in water. I was interested in it's history, I love history, but the fact that I didn't want to drive four hours plus the weather kinda put a damper on that.
Secondly, the 'extortionist crap' was the merchandise in the shops on the main street, everything from bracelets to bullets engraved with religious symbols. I was referring to the people making money off people's beliefs.
Thirdly, my mother told me to 'stop shoving my beliefs down everyone's throats' because I asked her how the grotto was. I'm an extremely tolerant person.
I found that post personally insulting to be honest.

I didn't mean to be insulting and apologize that my post came off that way; I just felt you were being a tad overly-critical when your family paid for you to go to an extremely famous place that hundreds of thousands of people would love visit.

That and disrespect towards any place of special religious significance - I apologize for suggesting you were intolerant, but calling one of the most (for Christians) sacred places on earth "the grotto-thing" doesn't scream respect to me - rubs me the wrong way.

Religion is (sadly) a part of human nature and cannot not be completely discarded even if we tried. Ever.

I disagree. Look at how quickly society is changing; I think it's not too much of a stretch to envision one without religion.

"support science" what does that even mean. also why are you capitalising atheist?

Back
Top Bottom