• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Role Playing Character Trends

Do You Keep RP Characters the Same for All RP's?

• Yes

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 60.3%
  • I don't RP

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
I kinda do but kinda don't.

Some have the same name with different traits, some have different traits with similar names.

Sometimes I go completely in the other direction with a new character.

Also I usually make mine up as I go along. I tend to get a kick out of it when people compliment me on how well thought out my character is when I just c+p the sign up sheet into a reply and start making crap up off the top of my head. :D

Oh, I know that feeling. I sometimes have a character idea for either species, appearance, very basic personality, or some bizzare quirk and just make the rest up. Then I go back and tweak it a couple of times so it doesn't seem so random, and there you go.

But, yes, trends. Well, plently of people who have roleplayed with me know that my characters are always female, except on very rare occasions with non-humans. I'm not sure why, exactly, but I just more easily take on the role of someone my own gender.

I have some basic personality types that I have, which I'll list because I like listing things (appearance applies to humans, of course):

Number One-The short, but extroverted and slightly eccentric types. Usually loud, mischievious, and sometimes mildly flirty. I like going with red hair and freckles, but sometimes a well-tanned blond (who's not quite as short) takes the role well.

Number Two-The cold, get-the-heck-out-of-my-way-or-die types, usually excelling in hand-to-hand combat and wearing all black. They don't want to be talked to, they don't want to be touched, and are usually tall, pale, and have strange-looking eyes.

Number Three-The misunderstood girls who look like number two, but act more like number one. Gothic shells with friendly souls, albeit usually with a slight competitive or rebellious streak.

Number Four-The sarcastic 'straight man' who usually is smart and bookish, but not the least bit shy and is more than willing to use her vocabulary to come up creative ways to describe things and make comebacks. Usually brown-haired with large glasses and appear shy at first until they have something to say.

Number Five-The cute, niave type. I don't have many of these characters, but they're still kind of fun. Akward and often non-humans in a human place, they stumble through things and fail to understand the meaning behind words and expressions, but put them in their element and they suddenly seem superintelligent.

Number Six-Similiar of number two, but worse. Number twos generally have a heart somewhere, but these are complete pyschos. Pale, empty eyes and no remorse, these are a hard one for me to keep in character, but I still like the challenge.

Number Seven-The ones that seem completely out of left field. The ones that I have no idea where they came from. The ones with a very long 'Other' section on the sign up form.

But I break the mold so many times, I don't even know if the descriptions there even apply to half of the characters I consider of those types.

The only thing I repeat on a regular basis is names. I can think of four characters of mine that have the name 'Shannon,' let alone 'Chris' or 'Alex.' Descriptive nicknames are my best friend, I tell you.

So far I only RP in non-human RPGs. And my character is always Fluffy the Eevee, a female. (See avatar for details.) But if I ever participate in a human RPG, I would use a male named Hiro, and if the RPG suited her, I would use Fugiwara, who is an exact replica of me.

Yep XD It's always Tai, Takashi, or Takashirou with a different last name....ehehe I'm too lazy to redo a profile every time I join/create an RP.

I use really unoriginal names. And the characters are based off me. Including the short hair...

And their all female. All of them.

I usually use Eevee when I'm in an RPG but I've used, Riolu, Aerodactyl, Furret, Celibe, Lugia, Pikachu, Charmeleon and more, I think. I usually make them female, but some, (Like Puu the Pikachu, Cassanova Charmeleon and Kyvon Furret) are male.

I usually use name that have Lili in them, but now I'm changing to ones with Elizabeth.

Other ways I find names in changing vowels. For example, O become A, A becomes O, I become U, U becomes I, E becomes Y, Y becomes E. That usually makes interesting names.

I try to make some Pokemon special by making them Shiny or something along those lines, but not that much.

I don't exactly RP much,. but I've started with three RPs this time around. So far, I've used a different character in each, with a different appearance, though every character I play has pretty much the same personality.

In one non-human RP I'm in, I'm a very quiet, shy and traumatized Leafeon named Whisper. Though she has no connections with anyone, she's quite the battler when provoked and her special abilities go far beyond her species.

And I'm too lazy to type any more xD
I feel like making sprites/pictures of my RP charries now...

Everyone is female and everyone has names of the top of my brain. If it's in Japanese, I thought of a random word and ran it though a non-babelfish translator. If it's a normal, English name I was: "I'm lazy. What can I think of off the top of my head?" If it's a corruption I was just being lame. They are either "OMG, I love everything~! =D" or "God, everything sucks!" Also, they all tend to have either long hair or boyish cut hair. Go figure.

I write different characters based off my differing personalities, all the aspects of my being. One character, and their pokemon, could be representing my sarcasm, my love of open spaces, my loss, and then I build from there. Then they take a life of their own. I draw comics, and it's the same way.I never know what's going to happen, and often I'll write myself into a corner, but i'm always suprised. If i'm not, I know I haven't done it well. What I do Is once I have one basic idea, I stare at the screen(or page) until something happens. To an uneducated person, this looks just like goofing off.

I always play boys; I'm just more comfortable doing that. I like to play nerdy ones, too. From there, they can be optimistic, pessimistic, cheerful, whatever. Usually I give them dark hair, too, but that's just because I'm bored of blonde. >D

Oh and I suppose I should mention that in Pokemon RPs, I'll usually play the same character. A Mightyena/Poochyena named Atnura. I like consistancy, which is why I mostly play the same character.

Most of the time it's a guy named Eric who's a jerk.

Once I've done a shy, timid person. It wasn't as fun.

All my RP characters are male, and anytime I'm not a pokemon my name is Talon Orre. Also, several of my pokemon are named Firaga (Yay for KH!).

Also, several of my pokemon are named Firaga (Yay for KH!).
asdfjkl;

That's not a Kingdom Hearts thing. That's a Final Fantasy thing that was used again in Kingdom Hearts. It's like attributing a song to someone who did a cover rather than the person who actually did the song.

All my characters are listed on a personal time line that I keep in my head. Every RP I do or story I write is added to the same character. I don't know why I do this, but perhaps it'd make for a nice story some day.

All my characters are listed on a personal time line that I keep in my head. Every RP I do or story I write is added to the same character. I don't know why I do this, but perhaps it'd make for a nice story some day.

One of my friends did that too. Once I even managed to screw up his timeline by deciding the time setting of an RP a ways into it.

I am honestly scared you attributed that to KH. Really honestly.

I never played any Final Fantasies, and while they do look cool and I'm not against them, I don't really intend on playing them. *gasp!*
However, I am a big fan of Kingdom Hearts, and that's the first and only place I'd seen it. I'm well aware that at least half of the people and things in Kingdom Hearts are from Final Fantasy, but I never knew Firaga was one of them.
Therefore, I attributed Firaga to the only game series I knew it was in. Also, even if I did know it was in FF, I've never played those, so I would naturally attribute it to what I HAVE played. I mean, just cause someone's never played the original Donkey Kong it doesn't mean they can't say they like Mario in Super Mario Sunshine.
And as for Surskitty, you're cover-designer/song-writer analogy isn't really accurate, seeing as how FF and KH are BOTH made by Square, and therefore the cover-designer and song-writer in your analogy would be the same person.

Back
Top Bottom