• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Ruining my friend's css teaching assignment

Happy

Forumed User
Pronoun
any
Just got reminded I made this once so now I think im going to inflict it on people 👍

My friend is a webdev lecturer at a university, I know he teaches graduate diploma level as in a fast-tracked version of some(?) years of undergraduate study, but no clue if he teaches anything higher than that. I dont know how to actually code anything hahahaha, like actual conditionals, but he was very nice to help me put in some basic ones I desired on my personal site (which I shall end up dropping a link to later in this post). I do know my way around css though & when we were close he was showing me the kinds of teaching units he writes.

One early unit is he stripped the css off a generic article body for students to rewrite in a logical manner. (It's the wikipedia entry for Charles Babbage, early progenitor in computer development.*) However I am a horrible friend to have so as soon as he showed me this, I underwent an implosion of inspired evil and produced. Model """""CSS"""""" for his assignment.

Behold

My friend said the worst part was his intuitive cognizance of the active energy it took to make this page less readable than basic computer text display, so I simultaneously demonstrated an easy A grade 😂
Above is not a flex, these kinds of graduate diploma courses arent intended to be difficult.... I have friends who also took css at a different uni across the road (odd city), but its in the design school so no conditional coding; & they were just supposed to make a generic business site model BUT they were taught this poorly-explained dump of the bootstrap library & basic css elements. (I should know, I cast my eye over the powerpoint uploads to make sure I didnt mention anything beyond the course lol.)
So when I lent an afternoon to troubleshooting these guys' in progress assignments for them, you just saw this THICK LASAGNA OF CONFUSED CSS EVERYWHERE FROM PEOPLE COPY-PASTING CLASS EXAMPLES; PASTING IN NONSENSICAL BOOTSTRAP CLASSES LIKE A SEANCE CUZ THEY DIDNT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT ACTUALLY DID; FIGHTING TO CHANGE THE BOOTSTRAP CLASS CSS WITH A NEW CLASS; RANDOM UNUSED IDS HANGING SOMEWHERE IN THE STYLESHEET BECAUSE THEY FORGOT WHAT WAS HAPPENING AFTER ALL OF THE ABOVE; PROBABLY ANOTHER ID ELSEWHERE ENCLOSING THESE CLASSES. ALL OF IT. IT WAS PUKEWORTHY JUST. UUGGH NO.
When I told my friend the lecturer, he miserably expressed that that was exactly what happened in his experience, so hes chosen to force students to handwrite their css & they can be handed bootstrap as a reward in a reference link after the unit. Which is really how it should be.

Butterfree, I am proud to say your guide absolutely taught webdev in a more principled manner than the above professional bootstrap-wielding course!!! I know theres some nonsense being sold as education out there but I have to stress that this university was quite certified as an educational institution. (But it also has a reputation for being kind of mid compared to my lecturer friends institution, so that's probably also in play.)

Please feel free to dig around the css file & stuff. It shall be a boost to my ego for anyone to nod in tired understanding at the horrible tricks involved in this performance.

*LMFAO I went back to my link to check what it precisely was the guy did, given its literally a useful wikipedia summary, & THE TEXT IMMEDIATELY RAN AWAY FROM ME. I PLAYED MYSELF

So thats obviously hosted on a private site which is my site which you can also go look at if you want 😂 «Link» LOL my absolute lack of basic self-interest... I havent drawn for blonks, major life changes & to-dos this year for me, so its like god who cares anymore about shilling my crap as much as I can, yknow. Forgive that the gallery view is crud, bc I had a moronic wave of NIH for it when doing so was beyond my level, & I havent come back to update it to have a working zoom function for example. 😭

I just had the thought that putting a horrific exaggeration of a GDPR popup would be a strong addition (or is that too much? Throws off the rhythm of the thing. Hmmmm), but js is a smidge more work than I was intending to put into this sort of thing. Im literally doing nthg in life atm though so. Maybe.

letter-t.gif
letter-dancing.gif
dancing-letter.gif
letter-d-dancing.gif

unown-tunown-cunown-ounown-d

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom