• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sexuality

Sexuality?

• I am heterosexual.

Votes: 99 44.8%
  • I am homosexual.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • I am bisexual.

Votes: 42 19.0%
  • I am pansexual.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • I am asexual.

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 33 14.9%

• Total voters
it's interesting that almost everyone who claims that high school relationships are stupid and lame and kiddy were single throughout their time at school. conversely, I've very rarely heard people who were in a school romance claiming that it was stupid and not worth their time.

I may be a ronery virgin, but I don't see the need for sour grapes. :)

Maybe it's because the people think high school romances are lame, so they stay single? And the people with high-school romantic partners have partners because they were open to the idea of high-school romance in the first place.

I dunno. I'm (probably) asexual, so I can't really have any say on it either way.

...to be honest, I haven't really thought about it! I'm sure another term would be created that's not already in use if we ever came in contact with a sapient race and inter-species attraction occurred.

I like to think of these things. :B

If we ever end up with that much room for different fields of attraction, it'd probably be way simpler just to describe yourself (like "I like other girls" rather than "I'm gay") than to try and assign everything a name. I mean, we only have a little handful of these categories, and we're already getting confused over bi-vs-pan.

perhaps "xenophilia" or something similar.

I'd have a problem with the word "xenophilia" because "philia" as a suffix has largely negative connotations for most of society. A word such as "xenosexual" might work a bit better, but that falls into the trap of excluding people who like both their own species and the alien species, and what if they're heterosexual and not attracted to all sexes of this alien species?

That's why I favour Zhorken's approach to this situation. I'd prefer terms like "androsexual" or "gynesexual" simply because it says which kind of genitals you like, but those won't ever be popularised for a bunch of different reasons.

Y'know, for the bi/pan debate, I kinda like the term David Bowie uses. At one point (I think) he said he was trysexual, he'd try anything once!

Zuu said:
perhaps "xenophilia" or something similar.

that would work unless everyone gets confused and thinks you're attracted to the Xenomorphs from Aliens.

Maybe it's because the people think high school romances are lame, so they stay single? And the people with high-school romantic partners have partners because they were open to the idea of high-school romance in the first place.
again, it's just conjecture, but I'm sure that if someone asked these people out, they wouldn't turn down the offer.

juuust sayin~

er no I don't think being pansexual crosses species as well as gender; I think you're referring to bestiality.

EDIT: okay to clarify-

I'm bisexual - this means that I'm attracted to two genders (hence the bi in bisexual); it suggests a gender binary. I'm attracted to men and women only. Someone who's pansexual can be attracted to anyone within the gender spectrum: male, female, neither, both, third gender, and so on.

Speaking of which, I'm still not entirely sure why I'm attracted to men and women but not so much hermaphrodites etc. I mean. I'm attracted to feminine men and masculine females, too, but for some reason nothing in between ?_? Furthermore, I've had crushes/been sexually attracted to women I know, but I've never been in a relationship with one. I'm happy enough for this not to be a worry, but idk. I'd like a relationship with a woman to see how different it'd be. :I

Ok I see it includes hermaphrodites and transgenders as well as the Bisexual preference of both regular genders. I think I understand now.

Ok I see it includes hermaphrodites and transgenders as well as the Bisexual preference of both regular genders. I think I understand now.
Transgendered people are as much of a man or woman as any cisgendered people though

Transgendered people are as much of a man or woman as any cisgendered people though

When we're talking about gender, yes, but when it comes to sex it gets a little bit iffy. MTF transsexuals generally come out it looking good with a good new vagina, but FTM transsexuals don't get as good a deal there. I'd find it difficult to be attracted to an FTM transdude and that's not because I'm transphobic or anything; it's because they usually don't have the right look, and if they do their genitals tend to be lacking.

but idk i've never been in a situation with a transman so

Hm, good question. I may wonder sometimes what i am. For about 5 years i've thought that i was asexual. But then i fell in love with a guy in my class and i trashed the idea of asexuality. But now that the guy broke my heart i've completely frozen. xD I start to wonder sometimes if i haven't got some homosexuality in me. I guess i'll have to wait and decide when i get a little older, i mean, i am only 14. I'm not really physically ready to understand my sexuality just yet. But i'll probably turn out as a bisexual! It would make me glad, bigger chance of a date in the weekend. And why not? Bisexuals gets the goodies from both genders. :D

Hm, good question. I may wonder sometimes what i am. For about 5 years i've thought that i was asexual. But then i fell in love with a guy in my class and i trashed the idea of asexuality. But now that the guy broke my heart i've completely frozen. xD I start to wonder sometimes if i haven't got some homosexuality in me. I guess i'll have to wait and decide when i get a little older, i mean, i am only 14. I'm not really physically ready to understand my sexuality just yet. But i'll probably turn out as a bisexual! It would make me glad, bigger chance of a date in the weekend. And why not? Bisexuals gets the goodies from both genders. :D

The fact that you used the word 'decide' tells me you're thinking about this the wrong way.

political correctness is swings and roundabouts. on the one hand, it forces people to think about what they say. on the other hand, it makes everyone into an amateur merriam-webster.

x1h7gi.gif

"Bi"sexual suggests a gender binary...
But there isn't a binary -- it's only a concept that doesn't actually exist. There are people who are "neither gender" or "both genders" or so many other in-between combinations that it just doesn't work.

Bisexuals gets the goodies from both genders. :D

If you're lucky enough! In my case, you end up liking 90% gay guys and straight girls who claim there's no such thing as bisexuality :(

(you know how I voted don't know on the poll? well i know now.)

Correct you are, but that is why they have invented a term that we know as "pansexual" to encompass such things. :grin:
You said in your post that "bisexual" suggests a gender binary -- because the word acts as if it is really there, which it isn't. It has nothing to do with pansexuality. The binary doesn't exist, the majority of the world just pretends it does.

"Bi" and "pan" are completely different. Just about everyone here knows this. I know what you're saying; you've just kinda dragged my into an argument I don't want to be a part of. :/

You said in your post that "bisexual" suggests a gender binary -- because the word acts as if it is really there, which it isn't. It has nothing to do with pansexuality. The binary doesn't exist, the majority of the world just pretends it does.

There are quite a few people who are fully aware that gender is not a binary, but are only attracted to the far male end and far female end of the spectrum and call themselves bisexual. Just because someone calls themselves bisexual does not mean that they are unaware of the gender spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom