• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Silver Ravine Mystery Dungeon

"Did you come all the way out here to try and find a way to get the helmet off? I don't know anything about, uh, graydian, but if it's not supposed to be there, I can help you look for a way to deal with it. Seriously. You shouldn't have to put up with that by yourself."
"Yeah. Our 'friend' said they're stronger in a dungeon." Nova looked around. He shook the helmet again. "This shouldn't be here. They should've known that." His claws dug into the dirt. "The way I'm fighting— well, not fighting is the same thing I'm forced to do back home. By the human who bound me to an unbreakable mask to serve him."

But Nova...

The mask just... came with your body.
I did not design it.

I really am sorry.
But I do not know why Graydians must wear masks.

Nova jolted.

'What do you mean came with? You don't just... buy bodies like mine like they're stocked in a store! You had to make these for us, didn't you?'

But the species already exists, Nova...

I can not change what a Graydian is!

I would have made all your bodies exactly as you would like them if I could, but I can only instantiate them, not determine the properties of the species. If it does not already exist on Forlas, then it is beyond me to instantiate – and I cannot even instantiate every species that does.

"We'll make the time," Leaf said, nodding at the rangers and stomping a front hoof with conviction. "Like we said before, we're here to help. You're the ones who are familiar with the people, the region, the dungeons, all the everything that's going on—or you know how to track it down if you don't. You're exactly the people we've gotta be working together with for this!"

Ayda let Leaf turn to Nova – but once it became clear that the Graydian was having some quiet conversation in his own head, she made her reply.

"So, you as well, huh? Ah, Leaf, wasn't it? You acquit yerself pretty well in the fight, too."

The Dewott stroked her chin for a moment as she considered the Ponyta.

"We're pretty familiar with the whole region, it's true. We just don't have the staffpower to cover everythin' we hear about. Fer instance, there're always more natural disasters, bandits, the usual troubles – but lately, there's been some stuff we're too stretched thin t'deal with. Have you heard anythin' 'bout these witching beasts?"

I would have made all your bodies exactly as you would like them if I could, but I can only instantiate them, not determine the properties of the species. If it does not already exist on Forlas, then it is beyond me to instantiate – and I cannot even instantiate every species that does.
That opened up an entire other can of wurmple Nova was too tired to deal with. Did his belief Forlas has some sort of far off, more technical laboratory actually have merit to it?

... If this place was flooded with humans, then odds were someone knew what he was and how to produce him. But produced a broken version. Please tell me there isn't some alternate variant of Him running around here.

Though it did make him wonder if that meant Forlas had mewtwo in some way, shape, or form.

At Ayda's statement, though, Nova glanced at Leaf. "That sounds like the kind of thing you're best off discussing in private. Like, really private. Not 'mystery dungeon private.'"

"We're pretty familiar with the whole region, it's true. We just don't have the staffpower to cover everythin' we hear about. Fer instance, there're always more natural disasters, bandits, the usual troubles – but lately, there's been some stuff we're too stretched thin t'deal with. Have you heard anythin' 'bout these witching beasts?"

Koa turned his attention back to Ayda and grimaced reflexively. "We have," he began carefully. "We- Some of our group met one. They're real, and extremely dangerous." He'd healed well enough but he swore he still felt a phantom ache. How much the Blaguarro crew had found out? He'd barely had a chance to properly check-in...

Maybe the Rangers could offer them the help they needed. He felt decently sure that these shadow beasts had to be tied to what they were here for. "I can fill you in more at your HQ. I know some of our group were trying to look into it more... Maybe if we work together we would be strong enough to fight one..."

Ayda said:
"Lately, there's been some stuff we're too stretched thin t'deal with. Have you heard anythin' 'bout these witching beasts?"

To be honest, Archie had only been half listening to the ongoing conversation between the others. But for some reason, something about this statement made his fur stand up on end. He couldn't quite place why, though.

Koa said:
"We- Some of our group met one. They're real, and extremely dangerous."
Wes in the Past said:
"We, actually, a group of us—tried to investigate some of Ignatius’s shady dealings and…ran into some trouble."

He froze. The post-adrenaline high fog was starting to clear from his brain again. Was it a coincidence? Koa and Wes didn't really get along, would they have worked together on something? And could he really say that there was a connection to what the Dewott was talking about?

The Chimera said:
"That sounds like the kind of thing you're best off discussing in private. Like, really private. Not 'mystery dungeon private.'"
Wes in the Past said:
"I’m almost positive it’s something done by humans."
Corey in the Past said:
"They're essentially Pokemon who've been manipulated in some form to lack any and all feelings beyond pure untamed aggression, yes?
Archie in the Past said:
“Did one of those things attack you? Is that the trouble you mean?”

Dammit, while he'd been gallivanting around hunting petty criminals, there had been something much more dangerous going on. And it was starting to sound like it was a lot bigger than one monstrous Charmeleon. He should've paid more attention, maybe he'd've seen the signs. The others back home would've been disappointed in him.

Wes in the Past said:
“Ever heard of a Shadow Pokémon?”

"Do you mean, Shadow Pokemon?" Archie blurted, suddenly.

"This shouldn't be here. They should've known that." His claws dug into the dirt. "The way I'm fighting— well, not fighting is the same thing I'm forced to do back home. By the human who bound me to an unbreakable mask to serve him."

"Oh... oh." Leaf blinked, shook her head quickly, lost track of her thoughts for just a second. Humans had done that to him. Well hell if that didn't sound familiar. Nova seemed a lot... calmer than Mewtwo had been, at first. Maybe he'd come out of what Team-Rocket-or-whoever had done to him in a healthier place. Being trapped in some kind of control helmet didn't really seem worth the trade, though.

She wasn't sure what else to say, beyond "...I'm sorry. That's awful." She hoped he'd actually take her up on her offer. Or someone, if not her. It wasn't fair for anyone to have to deal with that alone.

Until they could figure something out, their best bet seemed like gaining enough strength and info to... figure something out, she guessed. Hopefully Ayda and the rangers could at least help with that part. Somehow.

b"But lately, there's been some stuff we're too stretched thin t'deal with. Have you heard anythin' 'bout these witching beasts?

Unfortunately the only things Leaf knew about "witching beasts" were the scattered scraps she'd heard about the incident Koa and Jade and the others had gone through; wouldn't have been much she personally could've blabbed about even without Nova's warning. (How much more private were they gonna get than the middle of a dungeon, though?) For now she made do with "We can definitely share what we know a bit later, yeah." She gave Koa a nod. His story to tell anyway, if he was up for it. "I think there are a couple folks in our group who have info we'll want to put together and see what we can all do with it."

"...I'm sorry. That's awful."
"Yeah, it is. I can't think or act for myself back home." Nova clawed at the helmet. "I can't... keep walking around with this constant reminder of how I'm nothing but a prisoner back home."

He shook his head slowly. "Shadow pokémon? Those are a thing here?"

Purple tilted his head, but his gaze seemed to darken considerably at the mention. He seemed to recognize the term, for one reason or another, or it affected him more than other things he'd heard about until then. He, of course, said nothing.

"We- Some of our group met one. They're real, and extremely dangerous. I can fill you in more at your HQ. I know some of our group were trying to look into it more... Maybe if we work together we would be strong enough to fight one..."
"Do you mean, Shadow Pokemon?"
"We can definitely share what we know a bit later, yeah. I think there are a couple folks in our group who have info we'll want to put together and see what we can all do with it."
"Shadow pokémon? Those are a thing here?"

Ayda maintained a grim smile.

"Sure, if y'prefer the term. Since y'all can handle yerselves, I figure I can share this much with ya."

She shook herself off a little more, and set herself down on the nearest rock.

"Dungeon's private enough, but we can talk more at HQ. The gist, though? Savage 'mon have been attackin' folks in the mid-Soja', 'round the greater Blaguarro area. Eyewitnesses tell of battle-frenzied ferals bearin' the faces of thinkin' folk as have gone missin' of late. Allegedly, the attacks they make aren't any normal kinda type, but shadowy and unnatural. Didn't rightly know what to make of it, but our scouts've verified the claims. Cards on the table, I'm hopin' to train up some of you offworlders in a hurry precisely t'get this problem dealt with."

Nico chuckled nervously. "Can we at least eat lunch before talking about, you know... demons?"

Razael stretched and rolled his head to loosen up. "I will get some fish."

Witching beasts...

"Yeah, we've, uh... we've heard of them," Jade mumbled in a low voice.

She was more than happy to drop the subject when Nice mentioned the prospect of lunch. Now that the battle was over, Jade was suddenly all-too aware of how hungry she was. And the fish that Razael had been roasting over the fire earlier had smelled really good.

"Yeah, we should eat."

Though Nova just slid onto his belly. Odd. No mention of funky crystals. Maybe it worked differently here? After all, the shadow pokémon he knew was perfectly in control of himself. Mostly.

Fish would've sounded and smelled a lot more appetizing back home, Leaf realized, but apparently it wasn't doing much for her as a horse. It'd probably just make her sick or something anyway. Shame, but at least there were a fair few scraggly dungeon bushes scattered about here and there. There was plenty of room on that fire to roast a couple skewered chesto berries, right?

And so the group settled down to enjoy lunch and talk shop. She was still worried about Nova, and still not sure what was really really going on, but right then, at least, it felt like they had a fair shot of figuring some of it out. There were things their two groups could talk about already, things they could help with already. That was all Leaf could ask for.

Thus, they settled in for a lunch of assorted fish and berries by the fire.

<><><>​

Ch03: The Power of Darkness [Alex, Koa, Archie]
Alex followed Koa and Archie to the Silver Ravine. Even when they were about to head into a Dungeon, Alex seemed unbothered or otherwise didn't notice the change until they were getting close to its edge.

The more they walked with him, the more he seemed... mostly normal, aside from that angry head of his that continued to be muffled. He was quieter than usual.

But something seemed... off about the whole situation. Who was Alex? Why did he know so much about Shadows? And perhaps most importantly... who was this higher authority he followed, if anything? Was it a lie, or...?

Alex had some questions to answer. And, finally, they were away from others where he felt it was safe enough to speak.

Oh boy, if the doctor knew Archie’d gone all the way out to Silver Ravine with his stomach freshly stitched, she’d probably order him confined to the infirmary same as Wes was. But, this should be fine, as long as he kept his eyes and ears open. They weren’t going to go in deep enough for the Phantasms, which meant the only thing that had to be worried about was the occasional territorial feral. Normally, coming out to a Mystery Dungeon was a calming exercise for the Oshawott. The dungeons here were broadly similar enough to the ones back home that poking in for a short while reminded him of adventuring with Spencer and the others.

Today, though, the vibe was off. And it wasn’t just down to the strange Zweilous following him and Koa in. They hadn’t seen hide nor hair of The Wolf on the trek over, but that hadn’t made the Oshawott and less uncomfortable leaving the relative safety of Frontier Town and the rest of their group. They were quite a distance away, now. If something like what happened with Seth happened again, escape might not prove so easy this second time. Still, if they could get some important information here, all the better.

“This shoild be deep enough, I think,” the Oshawott said, stopping to look back at his traveling companions. “Maybe we can start with something simple.”

He gestured to himself, then to Koa, “I’m Archie, this is Koa. We’re broadly independent, but we do have some associations with the Rangers. Nonetheless, nothing we discuss here gets back to them without your explicit say so, you have our word. What’s your name? Who are you working for?”

He hoped that maybe by starting with some information of his own, it might prompt the Zweilous to be a little more forthcoming. Hopefully Koa wouldn't mind the Oshawott speaking for both of them on this.

The whole walk, Koa kept watching the Zweilous, only tearing his eyes away to glance behind them in case they were being followed or watched, though he didn't spot anything. If something happened out here... it the others wouldn't reach them in time. He and Archie were alone with a stranger. Although at least Betel would hopefully be able to hear them clearly out here. And maybe they could escape into the dungeon if this Zweilous tried anything...

He listened as Archie spoke, nodding along with him. He supposed names were a decent place to start. Hopefully the Zweilous wouldn't have a problem with that. "Thank you for meeting us," he said once they'd stopped. He figured trying to mantain some politeness was best. He still wasn't sure he trusted the Zweilous but... they needed whatever he knew. "You can call me Koamaru. And as Archie said, anything you need us to keep secret from the public won't be spread around, you have our word on that."

The Zweilous nodded. "I am Alex. This is Xander. One day, when we evolve, I will go by Alexander," he said. "That's a tradition for my species. As for who I work for..." His head tilted down, equivalent to closing his eyes.

"I work for an authority of this world... who wants to maintain its balance in ways that your authority is neglecting." Alex nodded. "And I am looking into some troublemakers that you have only grazed the surface of. Kidnapping Pokemon and closing their hearts... I believe this much sounds familiar?"

Back
Top Bottom