• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Stupid things you thought were true

Well, before Generation 4, I thought that Hyper Beam ran on the Special stat and that other moves that would be non-physical also ran on the Special stat, because it seemed logical. (I knew nothing of certain types running on certain stats, like all Fire moves ran on the Special stat. I'm glad they changed it for the latest Generation, it actually makes sense now.) I also thought that moves that seemed to be physical ran on the Attack stat. (Like Bite)

And someone, when I was very young, someone told me about "Pikablu." I used to think that Pikablu was that one surfing Pikachu with the blue eyes in that one episode of the anime. (Called Puka, I believe.) I had no idea that Pikablu was supposed to be Marill.
ditto
And I have seen that episode.

I also believed in the A+B+Select or A+B or pressing A till it stopped. ^^;;

Believing that Farfetch'd evolved into Doduo... until around Fr/Lg x.x

Believing that the Premier Ball copied the capture rate of the strongest ball in your bag, excluding the Master Ball

Believing that Torkoal was part rock type. What? It made sense! His shell IS made of freaking ROCK, after all x.x

Wait, Torkoal's not part Rock-type? Oh, I thought it was! ;;Looks up;; It's just a Fire-type? Gah. Well, that's another stupid thing I thought was true, I guess.

Here's something else: When I was very young, I got very lucky. A Dragonair on my Silver game contracted the Pokerus! But I had no idea what it was and when the nurse explained it to me, I thought that the Pokerus was a game-corrupting virus that would kill all my Pokemon. So I didn't play my Gameboy Color for an entire year, because I was afraid of the "virus". I restarted the game. Then one day, I found out what it REALLY did, and boy, was I pissed.

Not something I did, but others do often in battles against me:

They use an electric attack on my Flygon. Seeing that she is immune, they switch to ground attacks and find she has levitate XD

I LOVE it when they take Flygon's name literally!

Thought that Uxie (which is, for some out-of-this-world-totally-insane-oh-my-god-who-was-stupid-enough-to-do-this reason is pronouned YOO-ksee) was prounounced UHK-see. I still call it that.

I thought something a bit like Arylett's was true. I thought PokeRus was bad. My Lanturn contracted it while I was training, and I only saw the last line of what the nurse said about it, and somehow ignored the "it makes them grow well" part and thought it was bad. It then spread to my Swampert, Swellow, and Swablu. It seemed to be attracted to Pokemon whose names started with SW.

I also thought holding B while catching a Pokemon would make a Pokeball sure to catch the Pokemon. I wondered why Kyogre kept escaping...

I thought Torkoal was Rock-Type too. And that it was an evolution of Magcargo.

When I first got Pokérus, I found out through the nurse, but thought it was part of the normal text, so I never found out what it was until my later days.

Lastly, I thought pressing buttons would work for catching pokémon. It doesn't really work, my brother says, but I do it out of habit. When first attempting to catch a Latias, I'd press buttons like crazy, and she would always break out easily. I got my friend who is a girl to try it. She pressed nothing, threw a Poké Ball, and it worked. I'm like, "WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY GAME?!" All she did was wish or something.
She's left me now, though. Ah well, I have her Deviantart account.

Thought that Uxie (which is, for some out-of-this-world-totally-insane-oh-my-god-who-was-stupid-enough-to-do-this reason is pronouned YOO-ksee) was prounounced UHK-see. I still call it that.

I call it that too.

I also thought Groudon was a Fire type, Gardevior could only be female (My male was a glitch) and that a legendary lived at the bottom of Sootopolis.

The old button things.

I used to think that Macargo, Slugma, Laturn and Chinchou orginated in Hoenn instead of Johto. I also never knew Dunsparce existed until I met one in the Battle Frontier. Then I thought that it was a Bug type.

I think i have always pronounced Uxie's name correctlly, since it does look like YOO-ksee.

Anyways, I was so convinced that the premier ball was supperior to the others except the Master Ball that I kept on buying and selling pokeballs until I got 18, then kept on saving and turning on/off until I caught Groundon, which I then named Buffy. Don't ask.

I remember something along the lines of trying to breed Latios and Latias.

When trying to catch Zapdos, I thought I was jynxing the game, so I would close my eyes and turn down the power, or even leave the room.

Thats all for now, I guess.

Uh....I remember thinking that Charizard evolved in to Moltres.
EDIT: Here's more:
First time I saw Fearow, I thought It was an Electric Type.O_O
Of course, the first time I saw It was on a card and it had Electric -like stuff in the background.

Last edited:
I used to think that Graveler was the final evo of the Geodude line, and Golem didn't evolve at all.

However, what I'm most ashamed of is that, when I was about 5 years old, I heard this kid at school saying that Pokemon were diabolical. AND I FREAKING BELEIVED HIM. At least it was for a very, very short while. (I was extremely gullible back then.) But shortly after I stopped being stupid and started collecting the cheap cardboard cards they gave you in Burger King after the release of the first movie, and I got hooked on Pokemon from then on.

I always thought until I read this thread that Torkoal was Fire/Rock, and I actually just looked it up to be sure. I also thought until a few weeks ago that Dunsparce was Ground. Not sure why.

I still do the old button things. Not because I'm convinced it'll work, but because I get bored just watching it shake.

...I've been saying Uxie wrong for over a year? Er, well... ooops...

I used to think this was the Eevee evolution chain -

Eevee -> Lvl. 20 -> Vaporeon -> Lvl. 40 -> Jolteon -> Lvl. 60 -> Flareon

The numbers might be wrong, but the basic point is there. I don't know WHERE I got that idea... of course, then I actually GOT an Eevee, went online to see why it wouldn't evolve into Vaporeon, and, well, whaddya know.

I actually tried those "talk to this person 100 times then surf around Cinnabar 50 times then go in and out of your house 200 times then beat the Elite 4 and you'll get Superdupermegachu" cheats.

I also remember telling my entire school that there was going to be a plot in the anime that dealt with Missingno and level 100+ Pokemon. I was so ticked when the Blaine arc ended, they left Cinnabar, and there was no mention of any of it. Missingno was one of my favorite "Pokemon" for some reason I won't even attempt to explain.

And here's something else that's news to me! Uxie is pronounced YOO-ksee? What the hell? I'm sorry, I'm still pronouncing it the way that makes sense. (Uhk-see)

Here's something else. I used to think that Mightyena was pronouned MIGHT-yena and not MIGHTY-ena. That was before I saw how they pronounced it in the anime.

Well, before Generation 4, I thought that Hyper Beam ran on the Special stat and that other moves that would be non-physical also ran on the Special stat, because it seemed logical. (I knew nothing of certain types running on certain stats, like all Fire moves ran on the Special stat. I'm glad they changed it for the latest Generation, it actually makes sense now.) I also thought that moves that seemed to be physical ran on the Attack stat. (Like Bite)
Hey, me too. Back in the days of GSC... does make more sense now IMO. I believe for a while I thought that only Normal-type attacks were the attack stat, and everything else went on special...
...and before THAT, for also a short while I though Special stats were sor non-damaging moves (like Stun Spore or stuff like that)... don't ask.

Also believed the button-mashing thing.

And also remember looking for secret places in GSC - for instance in the Pokemon cemetery in Kanto I remember a person saying that there were probably secret places that the guy who took care of the place only knew about. Cue me pressing A on every piece of flooring, trying to find a secret door. Heh.

I thought Dunsparce had an evolution (gave up after getting the flimsy thing past level 40...), thought Octillary was a Gold exclusive (I ddin't think that Remoraid could evolve into it - but then again, that goes against logic anyway... stupid Octillary), and that one could go to the Orange islands by finding a secret place in the sea, thanks to a kid at school...

Ah, memories.

I remembered another thing I used to think. When I was like six or maybe younger and got the Master Ball in my Red, my brother somehow convinced me that if you used it on the next Pokemon you saw, you could buy them for free in every city but you had to save right after you did or else it wouldn't work. Then I saw a Growlithe, which I didn't have anyway, so I used my Master Ball on it and saved. =(

I used to believe(a long time ago) that talking to your mom 1000 times would annoy her so much, that she would give you a Celebi. I kid you not. I read it on a cheats website.

Remembered another about Special - I used to think that the higher your special stat, the more often an attack's secondary effect would kick in. Yeah... don't ask.

Back
Top Bottom