• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestion Box

Don't take it like that, some of my best friends are libraries. I'm just saying, this library in particular is pretty darn boring.

Do you have suggestions on how to improve their functionality? We can make them cheaper until a better idea comes along...

Whoops, forgot to get around to answer this. I was hoping other people would have suggestions on how to improve the choice items; all I can really think of it getting rid of the no conditionals rule and decreasing the Attack/Special Attack/Speed boost to 1.2x or something.

Whoops, forgot to get around to answer this. I was hoping other people would have suggestions on how to improve the choice items; all I can really think of it getting rid of the no conditionals rule and decreasing the Attack/Special Attack/Speed boost to 1.2x or something.

Isn't that a bit too similar to muscle band/wise glasses? Speed boost could work but otherwise...

Isn't that a bit too similar to muscle band/wise glasses? Speed boost could work but otherwise...

There's still the part about only one different damaging move per round.

edit: although wow the Muscle Band/Wise Glasses would be better most of the time if the boost was lowered to 1.2x.

There's still the part about only one different damaging move per round.

edit: although wow the Muscle Band/Wise Glasses would be better most of the time if the boost was lowered to 1.2x.

Then I think the boost should be a higher than x1.2... cause yeah like you mentioned Muscle Band/Wise Glasses exist... maybe x1.3 or .4?

Then I think the boost should be a higher than x1.2... cause yeah like you mentioned Muscle Band/Wise Glasses exist... maybe x1.3 or .4?

I was afraid it'd be kind of OP if the boost was higher. I dunno.

Muscle Band and Wise Glasses are flat 2% boosts at the end. Right now the only multiplier items are the Choice items and the type gems. So I don't see a problem with 1.2, but it seems kind of... underwhelming.

Right now, going by their summaries, Razor Claw completely outclasses Scope Lens: it costs the same but can help evolve Sneasel if you have/want one and raises the holder's critical hit chance by two instead of one, and I can't think of any situation where you wouldn't want to deal more damage more of the time. So suggestion to change Scope Lens's cost to $5 (or Razor Claw's price to $10) and lower Razor Claw's boost by 1 stage.

What's with decreased-priority moves like Focus Punch being allowed to be used reactively? I realize there's a ruling about it, but does it really make sense? I mean, if the conditional is like "if your opponent isn't attacking you use Focus Punch", then after waiting for your opponent to move so you can check, should you really have time to charge up and use a Focus Punch?

What's with decreased-priority moves like Focus Punch being allowed to be used reactively? I realize there's a ruling about it, but does it really make sense? I mean, if the conditional is like "if your opponent isn't attacking you use Focus Punch", then after waiting for your opponent to move so you can check, should you really have time to charge up and use a Focus Punch?

In general I'm fine with this for things like Counter and Avalanche, but yeah I'm not so sure I agree with the ruling applying to Focus Punch. In-game, the message that the Pokémon is using Focus Punch has some positive priority, so I'd always thought of it as needing the whole action to build its focus.

I'm against using Counter (and probably Avalanche) reactively... This is just my immediate reaction, but it just seems kind of ridiculous to be able to freely use Counter only when it's going to work for zero effort. Unless you're a Wobbuffet.

Anyway: should newbie refs be able to claim reffings from before they're approved? And should they be able to collect them right away, or should they have to wait until they're approved to go back and collect them? I think they should be able to; I don't really have an opinion about when. (After I approved Keldeo I told her she could go back and claim previous reffings, without really thinking about it.)

Last edited:
It seems reasonable that they should be able to claim a reffing as soon as a mentor referee's okayed it.

Could we nerf Venoshock? Currently, if the target is poisoned, it ends up doing 16% damage at 2% energy cost after STAB. Hex is pretty nasty too, but it at least gets its energy cost doubled before STAB...

Could we nerf Venoshock? Currently, if the target is poisoned, it ends up doing 16% damage at 2% energy cost after STAB. Hex is pretty nasty too, but it at least gets its energy cost doubled before STAB...

I think the Hex thing is a mistake, but the energy cost for Venoshock in the database is actually wrong. It should at least be 4% if we're actually having it double to 13% and not 12%, and it should have another percent tacked on for its extra effect. So... at least it's 16% damage for 4% energy after STAB, haha... (I am not disagreeing with you here)

ETA: maaaaaybe we should have these moves have their BP multiplied by 1.5 instead of 2, akin to how a lot of things that double power in the games only multiply it by 1.5 here...? I would say same for Brine, too. I dunno, though.

I was under the impression that changing a move's base power scaled its base energy cost with it. Thus a boosted Venoshock would cost 13/2 + 2 = 8%, or 7% with STAB. That's how I've handled similar moves in the past, anyway.

I was under the impression that changing a move's base power scaled its base energy cost with it. Thus a boosted Venoshock would cost 13/2 + 2 = 8%, or 7% with STAB. That's how I've handled similar moves in the past, anyway.

It's different for Venoshock, Hex, and Brine because they're based on the opponent's status, not your own. In return I (personally) tack on a 1% energy for the secondary effect for these three whether the BP is doubled or not, and not for the ones that double BP based on your own status, but I feel like the doubling is a bit much either way. In the games it's more balanced because like, if you want to spam Venoshock or Hex you have to build half your moveset around it, while here in ASB everyone and their mom gets Toxic (and you don't even have to choose between statuses to inflict because you can inflict all of them) and everyone with Venoshock has access to it without giving up anything.

I think there was some discussion about nixing trick room's command order reversal effect, but it kinda fell through. As it stands, the ability to keep renewing trick room and keep commanding second is pretty overpowered. I never understood why it had that added effect. (I mean, it makes sense flavour wise, I guess, but it still seems unnecessary)

Also, I'd kinda like to renew the discussion about making Defeatist and truant viable, because I thought the ideas put forward were pretty good and there's really no reason for these abilities to be such a huge nerf in ASB.

Back
Top Bottom