• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Tags

No offense, Tailsy, but I just don't see you doing anything to them.

Doesn't make you a bad person or mod, though! <3

@Zhorken and to a lesser extent Eevee: Why do you guys like being so mean (for lack of a better word)? --; I haven't done a goddamn thing to you, yet you continue to get all condescending and call me out at every opportunity. Are you forgetting about the rule that explicity states that we're all trying to have a good time here?
funny how that rule only applies to people who are not running around spraying tag graffiti on everything in a tantrum or whatever the hell you were doing

save your pity party please

And what's worse is those posts are going to go completely unnoticed by the moderation.
lucky for me I'm sleeping with all of the moderation

@Zhorken and to a lesser extent Eevee: Why do you guys like being so mean (for lack of a better word)? --; I haven't done a goddamn thing to you, yet you continue to get all condescending and call me out at every opportunity. Are you forgetting about the rule that explicity states that we're all trying to have a good time here?

And what's worse is those posts are going to go completely unnoticed by the moderation.

Don't feed the trolls and their miniature clones.

So, this'll sound dumb, but.

Exactly what are tags for?

I mean, sure, the idea is to use them to search for threads or something -- but as a forum that is almost purely socialization, any threads that you're interested in are either active and at the top of the forum, stickied in some way, or you've got the name of the thread memorized or the thread itself bookmarked.

Tags are funny, sure (I hear there are some fucking bears on this forum) but I'm not sure I understand what the point ever was. I could see their use on a forum that gives, say, help and tutorials for various programs, but on a forum like TCOD threads like that are usually stickies.

I mean, sure, the idea is to use them to search for threads or something -- but as a forum that is almost purely socialization, any threads that you're interested in are either active and at the top of the forum, stickied in some way, or you've got the name of the thread memorized or the thread itself bookmarked.

Tags are funny, sure (I hear there are some fucking bears on this forum) but I'm not sure I understand what the point ever was. I could see their use on a forum that gives, say, help and tutorials for various programs, but on a forum like TCOD threads like that are usually stickies.

I believe the theory of tags is to prevent multiple threads of the same topic being created. That doesn't really happen to much on these forums.

Another use I thought for them is to advertise what your roleplays are about past the title. But, they could also be fun. Bear is win. Course, people are going around and marking people's threads as "fail" and shoving their opinion in other people's faces.

You state that they're consistently being mean to you for no reason. That's trolling. o-o;
no, it just means he doesn't grok the reason

dorito eevee, master of...

(ps your avatar is, in all seriousness, really creeping me out D:)

sorting things by category rather than by content beyond the ways afforded by the selection of subforums

for example things in 'miscellaneous' or 'general pokemon' are not really going to relate to anything in particular; neither, for that matter, are threads in the debating hall, cupboards, and to a lesser extent some other places

subforums have to be general enough to get a critical mass of traffic, or they will be mere clutter and nobody will use them anyway. tags have no such usability restriction.

I wouldn't call that trolling as much as just being unnecessarily rude. o.o

But hey, we have bigger and better things to argue about. 8D Like tags!

My opinion on the issue: I really wish people could use tags properly. Personally, I think that tags like "pretentious assholes suck" or whatever it was are far more of a problem than "is that a fucking bear", and if I disable tagging, which I honestly might if this crap continues, it will be because of those tags and not because of any harmless meme tags.

Seriously, people. Tags are to indicate what a thread is about. There is no more use for a "pretentious assholes suck" or "fail" tag than there is for an "is that a fucking bear" tag. I have no idea how the hell anybody managed to get the idea that insulting the thread starter is somehow a legitimate use of the tagging system, but that needs to stop.

If you people don't start tagging threads usefully, yes, I will remove the tag system, as it is clearly more trouble than it's worth at the moment. At least stop it with the random insulting tags. ("Failing at thread titles" is not a very useful tag either, but at least it is a nice way to point out to the author of a thread that the title could be made clearer without having to make a random minimodding post, so I suppose it has its uses.)

("Failing at thread titles" is not a very useful tag either, but at least it is a nice way to point out to the author of a thread that the title could be made clearer without having to make a random minimodding post, so I suppose it has its uses.)

Course you could just use PMs for that so the thread creator doesn't have to wait for a mod to "wash" that tag after they've changed it.

I wouldn't call that trolling as much as just being unnecessarily rude. o.o

to be fair, as you stated earlier, people are using the tags to troll. I still think that what he says is trolling. *shrugs*

Exactly two people have changed their thread titles so far, and I got to untagging them pretty quickly. The other threads with improved titles are surskitty's doing.

Exactly two people have changed their thread titles so far, and I got to untagging them pretty quickly. The other threads with improved titles are surskitty's doing.

Well, it's not doing us much good then. =\

@AK
iibui said:
(ps your avatar is, in all seriousness, really creeping me out. do you not know anyone who can draw wtf)

also the quote is bashing the artist which happens to be me.

I believe the theory of tags is to prevent multiple threads of the same topic being created. That doesn't really happen to much on these forums.

Another use I thought for them is to advertise what your roleplays are about past the title. But, they could also be fun. Bear is win. Course, people are going around and marking people's threads as "fail" and shoving their opinion in other people's faces.
Deretto, are you on the same forum as I am? Because repeat threads happen all the time. Usually in Forum Help. This is also why trying to get people to title threads intelligently is a good idea.

Not just roleplays: fanart and fanfic, too. Also, if the topic of a thread diverges from the intended subject matter, it can easily be tagged for it. It's useful for both referring to the content and the presentation: it's just that it's not always being used intelligently and people are being butthurt over it.
My opinion on the issue: I really wish people could use tags properly. Personally, I think that tags like "pretentious assholes suck" or whatever it was are far more of a problem than "is that a fucking bear", and if I disable tagging, which I honestly might if this crap continues, it will be because of those tags and not because of any harmless meme tags.
... wouldn't it be easier to just yell at the people tagging things like 'pretentious assholes suck' and possibly set things up so people who abuse tags can't mess with them rather than punishing everyone for it?
Seriously, people. Tags are to indicate what a thread is about. There is no more use for a "pretentious assholes suck" or "fail" tag than there is for an "is that a fucking bear" tag. I have no idea how the hell anybody managed to get the idea that insulting the thread starter is somehow a legitimate use of the tagging system, but that needs to stop.
So why not get people who are doing that to stop rather than threatening to get rid of tags completely?
Course you could just use PMs for that so the thread creator doesn't have to wait for a mod to "wash" that tag after they've changed it.
For the most part, it's Zhorken who's tagging things with useless thread titles and he removes his tags if the thing is changed. Also, it's more likely that someone will change it, even if it's not necessarily the thread creator (I edited a few Forum Help titles for clarity, for example), if it's immediately obvious that someone has pointed at it and was like "this title sucks. Fix it."

Back
Top Bottom