• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Tales of Symphonia Evolution Mafia [DAY 8 - GAME OVER]

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
See the first post of the signup thread for the Evolution Mafia rules and the role list. The ground rules of the game itself are reposted below for your convenience:

• No discussion outside of the day thread unless your role permits it.
  • Roleclaiming/fakeclaiming is fine; quoting/screenshotting/otherwise posting infallible proof of communication from the GM is not fine.
  • Players who do not show me some signs of life in 192 hours, a.k.a. two game days and two game nights, will be modkilled. You can PM me to tell me you're still paying attention if you really don't want to post or use an action, but if your playstyle involves lurking then this is probably the worst game you could sign up for anyway. You may submit an action in advance if you think you're going to be away, and I'll give you credit for it.
  • Modkilled players are considered to have automatically lost the game, even if the rest of their faction later goes on to win.
  • Flavor text may or may not be relevant, primarily depending on my mood. Pay attention, but get hung up on it at your own risk. Anything that's definitely important will be summarized in bold at the bottom of my posts.
  • Lynches and night actions are not required and will not be randomized, but do be mindful of that rule about activity. Lynches are made based on plurality, not majority. Note that it is possible to lynch a player with only one vote if no other lynch votes have been placed. You should probably speak up if you don't want the mafia to swoop in and ninja-vote their way to victory.
  • I will ask the last non-modkilled player to die to break any lynch vote ties, and they'd better not post before I tell them to do it (I may ask them to PM their vote to me anyway). If there is no suitable dead player I will randomize the tiebreaking vote.
  • If you think I made a mistake with the vote count, I probably actually didn't. Think about it for a minute. (If you're convinced there was an actual mistake, though, tell me!)
  • I will be locking the game thread at night to prevent any of the stupid nighttime posting that's been going on. I can't really "lock" dead players out of the thread, but I will not tolerate deadposting and anyone who does it will be retroactively modkilled as well as infracted. If you have something to say to me at night or after you're dead, PM me and stay the hell out of my thread.
  • Take nothing at face value—remember that there are still secrets in this game!—and have fun!

Role PMs are going out now; I will post again to officially start the night as soon as I'm done.

Last edited:
Re: Tales of Symphonia Evolution Mafia [NIGHT 0]

All role PMs should be out. I apologize if any of you received multiple PMs--there was some boardfail. If, however, you did NOT receive a PM and you know you're supposed to be in this game, or if you think that any other sort of mistake was made, contact me immediately so I can set things right.

For those of you reading your PMs and going "wtf kind of level name is this"—almost all role names were taken from the characters' titles or attacks ingame, chosen for maximum appropriateness/awesome/stupid. I did have to make up a few, though. Just humor me and pretend the flavor is meaningful and hilarious to you.

Note that if an evolution does not explicitly say "Your role is the same as Level X", then assume that nothing carries over and the new role actions/effects completely override the previous ones.

Day will begin in 48 hours or when all night actions are in (which pretty much just means the mafia at this point, buuut).

Re: Tales of Symphonia Evolution Mafia [DAY 1]

"Good morning to you from your new lords and masters! Welcome to the first day of the new Blood Purge! We are the Vanguard, and we will be brutally slaughtering you all starting today. It's okay, though—it's all for a good cause! Once Tethe'alla is overthrown and our commander is King of Everything Ever, the world will be a much better place! (Well, just for us, mostly, but you'll all be dead anyway so that's all that matters, right?) We know you have a choice when it comes to violent world domination, and we're glad that you've chosen the Vanguard. We live only to serve and to subjugate!

We hope you had a restful night. We know
someone sure did. Why, they're enjoying it so much, they may never wake up again! Such is the deep, blissful, bludgeony sleep you will all be assured soon enough under the coming reign of your new king. Have a lovely day, and see you all at night! :)

-The Vanguard High Command"

They didn't expect to wake up to a letter. They definitely didn't expect to wake up to a letter full of death threats. Some of them blink at the little notes tacked to the front doors of their houses, the inn and all the shops, too stunned to process exactly what's going on; others blanch, panic and try to keep their hearts from climbing right out of their throats. Still others, too tired to feel especially fearful this early in the morning, snort with morbid amusement at the letter's style and tone. Well, at least this "Vanguard" has a sense of humor, whoever they are.

The body lying in the middle of the street clears things up in short order, though. What's not clear, at least not at first, is the body's identity—they're all pretty sure they don't know anyone whose face naturally looks so smashed and pulpy and like it's in about twenty separate pieces. Those who are not retching all over the pavement venture a quick rummage through the pockets of the deceased, eventually coming to the conclusion that the unfortunate soul must be Negrek. Poor thing. Surely she wouldn't just have been wandering out alone at night. The Vanguard must have broken in and dragged her out here before beating her into blissful, bludgeony sleep. Everyone resolves to make a visit to the local locksmith and buy out his inventory before they head home tonight.

And now, jolted into wakefulness by their discovery, the group gets serious. Meltokio is not safe, they realize, the world is not safe, not as long as the Vanguard is lurking in their midst with bludgeony sleep canes and the like. Now is not the time to panic, or to find out whether that hot breakfast tastes as good coming up as it did going down. They're heroes, for Martel's sake, crusaders for justice that have already saved the world once before. They've just got to slow down, think rationally about this, root out the Vanguard and dispense with the heroic ass-kicking. Simple. They've got this.

Probably.

Negrek is dead. She was not mafia.

Forty-eight hours for discussion.

ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS THIS IS FUCKING SERIOUS

A pretty obvious starting point for the Mafia, then! Thoroughly unsurprised... but poor Negrek. It must suck getting nuked on Night 0 :( One awesome player down, most likely due to the fact that nobody has any cool skills yet. I've certainly got a way to go before I get to do anything cool. Except posting Japanese smileys lol(・∀・)

I'll wait around for everyone else to post, I guess! Does anyone have anything they'd like to bring up as useful information?

Oh yeahhhh, game start \o/!!

Well! Negrek's a pretty obvious target for the mafia, who'll likely be targetting the most experienced and well-known players before they can get protected by doctors and such! So unless anyone somehow has any world-shattering information, this looks like a pretty usual night one.

What sort of useful info would there be on a night where no one but the mafia can act?

Hm. It's not very likely that anyone will have any information today, is it? Or are there people who didn't start as vanilla? Even then, I guess it would be best for them not to reveal things until we give enough time for our doctors to level up so that they can heal. So... yeah, I'm not quite sure what we can do today. Let's see what happens when everybody else posts!

Since the mafia can only have one night action go through, then there was a hitman that killed a player last night. By the way, how long does the person lived if they got hit by a poisoner?

I'm wondering about the possibility that perhaps there's a wildcard who might already have a night action, but isn't Mafia. Or perhaps there's a player who has some sort of information role; like, they get a piece of new information every time they 'evolve' or whatever? They could have possibly started with something. I don't know, I'm hypothesising since this is an experimental and secret role-game.

I'm wondering about the possibility that perhaps there's a wildcard who might already have a night action, but isn't Mafia. Or perhaps there's a player who has some sort of information role; like, they get a piece of new information every time they 'evolve' or whatever? They could have possibly started with something. I don't know, I'm hypothesising since this is an experimental and secret role-game.

Hm! Actually, I wonder if the Streetear needs to level up before getting any information? Or if the Friendly Neighbour needs to level up to have their innocence confirmed? Although I'm not sure how relevant any of their information could be at this time or whether it would be worth revealing.

Since the mafia can only have one night action go through, then there was a hitman that killed a player last night.

sign-up thread said:
Any of the above four mafiosi can submit a night kill

That means it didn't have to be the hitman, right?

Here's a question-- how many posts do you guys need before you gain your powers? I need four, but considering my role is pretty extreme, I think it's safe to say it's four for everyone.

I think the mafia all share a faction~action ((rhymes bitch)) that is a kill so I doubt anyone did anythings. Also,
Kratos said:
Day will begin in 48 hours or when all night actions are in (which pretty much just means the mafia at this point, buuut).

It speaks for itself so... not much to do.

------

20 bucks says if it weren't for Negrek being experienced karkat would've up and died again first.

The mafia probably didn't want to make life easier for the alien. 8D

...jk, I'm not the alien. I'm the vig, who I think is equated to Lloyd, or whatever the hell his name is.

EDIT: Yeah, I am Lloyd, who conveniently enough is the only character from this game I've ever heard of.

Hm. It's not very likely that anyone will have any information today, is it? Or are there people who didn't start as vanilla?

Quoth Kratos, "Day will begin in 48 hours or when all night actions are in (which pretty much just means the mafia at this point, buuut)."

Sounds like the Mafia are probably, but not necessarily, the only ones with a night action. My gut tells me that "buuuut" means some kind of technicality i.e. the information role that gets new information when it levels up. Perhaps it starts out with information (albeit mostly useless, probably).

Read: The entire previous paragraph was purely conjecture.

Here's a question-- how many posts do you guys need before you gain your powers? I need four, but considering my role is pretty extreme, I think it's safe to say it's four for everyone.

Three, and mine only kind of moderately useful (except in certain lucky situations) so I imagine almost everyone's will probably be in the range of three to four.

The mafia probably didn't want to make life easier for the alien. 8D

...jk, I'm not the alien. I'm the vig, who I think is equated to Lloyd, or whatever the hell his name is.

Why why why are you roleclaiming so soon (especially without any suspicion pinned on you yet)?

Mine is also four, yes - so it seems that everyone has the same amount (ish) of evolution posts! How many levels do you guys have? I have 5 but my last one is secret(⌒▽⌒)I'M SO MYSTERIOUS

It's pretty obvious why everyone should roleclaim, actually.

a) All the roles are clearly listed in the first post.
b) Everyone but Negrek is still alive.

If we mass-roleclaim right now, it's going to be very hard for the mafia to fake a roleclaim later on.

In addition, my roleclaiming means that a mafia can't roleclaim as the vig... besides, I'm not going to use my powers due to the big drawback they have.

I only need 2 posts to get my ability. Wait, then how the heck the vig would get the killing powers through several level? Or maybe he/she randomly killed a player on one level and the later levels, they can choose a certain player from the groups by if they have night actions, actions affected during the day, etc (but the vig doesn't know which group is) to get killed.

Last edited:

Ah, but roleclaiming is bad for everyone while we're all still powerless like this! I mean, if I went HURR DERP I'M GOING TO BE THE SUPER-DOCTOR SOON I'm just going to get shot in the face. And that would be a waste of my role now, wouldn't it?

I have four posts until my next role, too. And like Jack, my role gains a power that only works if I'm extremely lucky.

And Karkat, I too must ask why you would roleclaim so soon? it seems dangerous for you, what with all of your experience.

Back
Top Bottom