• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Teachers/Parents and Dorkiness

All of my favourite college teachers recognized and applauded my Sonic 2 shirt. Felt good, man.

As for parents, my dad is far better at old-school Mario games than I am. He also loves the Silent Hill games, and can hold a discussion on the interpretation of Silent Hill 2.

I think there's a teacher at my school that follows xkcd. There are two xkcd strips laminated and stuck to the door outside his classroom. There used to be only one and then a new strip came out on xkcd a while back and some unidentified time later I noticed that said strip was on the wall. I don't know if it could be the students giving him the strips (as I do know of a few students that follow xkcd) but if it's the teacher, that is awesome.

Speaking of xkcd, I actually had a physics test once where one of the questions involved this strip, and you were supposed to estimate the actual amount of time by which dawn would be delayed with each spin.

Speaking of xkcd, I actually had a physics test once where one of the questions involved this strip, and you were supposed to estimate the actual amount of time by which dawn would be delayed with each spin.

wouldn't that be a bit difficult without knowing either the exact moment of inertia of the earth or its mass distribution, where neither is simple to measure to significant significance?

wouldn't that be a bit difficult without knowing either the exact moment of inertia of the earth or its mass distribution, where neither is simple to measure to significant significance?
It was ages ago so I don't remember the specifics, but they probably provided the information necessary to make a reasonable guess. They weren't looking for accuracy anyway, it was sort of a Fermi estimate kind of thing.

Aww, I've had lecturers use xkcd in their lectures before - the Twitter/swine flu stupidity one, and the correlation/causality one. It pleases me very much.

This is displayed in the portable in which the jazz band and strings class at my school rehearses. I have no idea which teacher put it there, or why, as there have many teachers operating in that room since the strip came out, and it was posted before I came to the school. Gave me a laugh the first time I saw it, even though I'd read the comic before.

My Latin teacher was pretty great, he was a Katamari fan and also made references to Zelda and other stuff like that. He got sidetracked a lot and would usually end up talking about games or something with the class :P

I brought my psp to school one time with my sister's Me and My Katamari game in it, and he was like, "Hey, can I play when you're done? I haven't played that one yet!"
:D

Back
Top Bottom